Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Wombot posted:

Something I wasn't able to find in the articles the last time this was in the news: Is there an increase in child-consuming capability between a Peloton and any other brand of treadmill?

Most treadmills have barriers at the back that limit how far the belt can suck you under, so that the worst-case scenario is some rugburn. Apparently theirs is either poorly designed or hosed up in some way - it's not supposed to drag kids all the way under like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RFC2324 posted:

Its a techbro thing, so the tabley is probably a web app to the remote server that actually controls the thing, so its harder and slower to turn off than a traditional treadmill

That would be unlike their bike which has direct physical controls outside of the app but yeah I could see someone doing that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Their bike with potmetal pedals.

Guys, I think they build these things cheaply and poorly. I want Pelotons' customer list so I can advertise lovely overpriced products to these idiots.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Notahippie posted:

Most treadmills have barriers at the back that limit how far the belt can suck you under, so that the worst-case scenario is some rugburn. Apparently theirs is either poorly designed or hosed up in some way - it's not supposed to drag kids all the way under like that.

Yeah, I own a treadmill (Nordic Track) and it’s pretty tightly covered on the front and back. I could see a pinched digit if you really tried to get it in there, which kids do, but death would be really difficult.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1389995401458167811

They're finally getting to the point - nuclear power is clean as hell and it's a bad idea to shut down reactors because natural gas is cheaper now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nuclear power all the way baybee

Only downside is a lot of plants are pretty old now and refurbs are hellishly expensive

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Let's build out some thorium reactors and retire our old, leaky plants built in the 50s-70s.

Nuclear used.to be such a winner because it appealed to both sides of the isle. Clean(er) energy and a big payday to our military contractors. Now nobody wants it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Few people have come to know the “true” story of the origin of Sinko de Mayo. It is my pleasure to set the record straight.

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The Titanic hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Navy must have hundreds, if not thousands, of trained nuclear technicians. That would be a great training pipeline for civilian nuclear plants, that's one major hurdle that shouldn't be a big deal for building nuclear plants in the US.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

facialimpediment posted:

I linked it a few weeks ago specifically because it wasn't graphic and bloody, just a toddler offering his ball as sacrifice, then getting lightly munched as the treadmill denied the sacrifice. At the time, there were no deaths and only a sporadic few cases.

Not the kid in the video, I wouldn't link that kind of thing here.

Weird, I STILL don't want to see a toddler get mangled by a treadmill!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Few people have come to know the “true” story of the origin of Sinko de Mayo. It is my pleasure to set the record straight.

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The Titanic hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

I’d probe you for showing pictures of poorly secured deck cargo, but I know you’ve got enough on your plate right now.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The Navy must have hundreds, if not thousands, of trained nuclear technicians. That would be a great training pipeline for civilian nuclear plants, that's one major hurdle that shouldn't be a big deal for building nuclear plants in the US.

People were always talking about the new plants that were supposed to be constricted in Ga. And the possibility of not having to work outages around the country. As far as I know, none of those new plants ever materialized, thanks to the financial crisis.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

(USER WAS CAST INTO THE BRINY DEEP FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1389995401458167811

They're finally getting to the point - nuclear power is clean as hell and it's a bad idea to shut down reactors because natural gas is cheaper now.

gently caress yes, I kinda hope they find a way to basically re-open Indian Point too

Grip it and rip it posted:

People were always talking about the new plants that were supposed to be constricted in Ga. And the possibility of not having to work outages around the country. As far as I know, none of those new plants ever materialized, thanks to the financial crisis.

Thanks, Oil Industry who financially backed a bunch of eco-groups to protest and oppose nuclear power.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

ugh

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

2/10 only because you used Sinko de Mayo in the header and footer, instead of just the footer. BOO.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

GE-Hitachi has been working on their PRISM reactor that could run on spent fuel rods from other reactors. It kind-of stalled in the last decade for a variety of reasons, so it would be nice if this money gave a boost to that happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po7D3G9EbKU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

2/10 only because you used Sinko de Mayo in the header and footer, instead of just the footer. BOO.

gently caress :(

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

Cross posting from the techbubble thread

Shifty Pony posted:

it is (was lol) a slat treadmill.

normal treadmills use a belt and a stationary supporting plate under the belt. no matter how well kept the plate and belt are when your foot comes down the belt will get squeezed between your foot and the plate and will slow down slightly.

a slat treadmill uses something closer to what you see in a moving walkway, with a bunch of hard wide flat boards supported by ball bearings running along rails under them and driven by chains on either side. your foot striking means jack poo poo compared to the sorts of loads the ball bearings can handle without a meaningful increase in friction and as a result the feel is better or something. they are expensive because there's a bunch more moving parts involved and they are mainly found at fancy gyms.

anyway slat treadmills are much harder to make safe because the slats need more room to turn than a belt so your shields can fit as tightly, and they are extra dangerous because when they turn the slats open up between each other then close back down. that's not really a problem in a fancy gym because they don't have kids and pets running all around.

the peloton treadmill didn't even bother to implement basic physical safety poo poo like a shield and didn't include basic safety logic like stopping the motor and requiring a power cycle if a jam or unusual load is detected. in one video a kid's ball manages to completely stop the treadmill, but when it is dislodged the treadmill immediately went right back up to full speed.

Thanks! That certainly does seem like it's a more capable kid-eater! Om nom nom nom

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Patent update stuff:

https://twitter.com/jendeben/status/1390018886960099330?s=19

https://twitter.com/AmbassadorTai/status/1390021205974003720?s=19

We'll see what the language ends up being! I still don't know the correct answer (though I know it in 6-12 months). Still nice to have an administration that listens to criticism instead of just saying gently caress YOU

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 5, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And by the way, it's quite clear at this point that conspiracy theorists have ahold of the Maricopa County, Arizona ballots.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1390021943777181700?s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

South Carolina's project crashed and burned in spectacular fashion but Georgia's hit a major milestone last week and will probably be online by the end of this year

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They know China has regular-rear end paper too right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They almost certainly do not

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrozenVent posted:

I wouldn't make any wagers on that.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress yes, I kinda hope they find a way to basically re-open Indian Point too

Thanks, Oil Industry who financially backed a bunch of eco-groups to protest and oppose nuclear power.

Do you have any sources for the second part of your post? I have a couple of environmental activist friends who are vehemently anti-nuclear and I would love to share that with them

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

FrozenVent posted:

Additionally, election officials in Maricopa County have launched an inquirey into urine found in the Coke bottles of poll workers.

One official stated, "this was not a joking matter."

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 5, 2021

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

FrozenVent posted:

:siren::foxnews::siren: Oh poo poo that means ALL of the ballots could have come from China!

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Sacrist65 posted:

One official stated, "this was not a joking matter."

It wasn't then but it sure as gently caress is now lol.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Final thing for a while on the vaccine patent issue, but Derek Lowe's my source and he's dramatically smarter than I'll ever be, so:

https://twitter.com/Dereklowe/status/1390029655848198153

https://twitter.com/Dereklowe/status/1390030683217793025

https://twitter.com/Dereklowe/status/1390031073300598784

Also some extra talk about the Fill/Finish portion being complex too. Hoping everyone involved worldwide can ramp up production of the base components so that invalidating the patents really does make an effect.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 5, 2021

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Those that get out are too sad, too drunk, or too dead to work that again

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

And by the way, it's quite clear at this point that conspiracy theorists have ahold of the Maricopa County, Arizona ballots.

Oh poo poo, my man's got 5k cameras looking at this?

loving sold.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So j&j shot conclusion- 16 hours of the worst cold/flu symptoms ive ever had, feeling better than before i got the shot now though. And the injection spot is still a little sore but no biggie. I fully support swat doctors with caduceuses on their backs sweep and clearing antivax hotspots with injection dart guns.

Edit: i was also 100% fine with the idea before we had a pandemic so v0v

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 5, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

That makes me think of the Americans how the spy family wouldn't even keep leftover Russian food in their fridge on the tiny chance someone would recognize it and start asking questions. Dang that was a good show.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They're just going to Benghazi the poo poo out of the Arizona "audit" and then scream about whatever truth they manufacture for themselves. The outcome was determined before they even started.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Final thing for a while on the vaccine patent issue, but Derek Lowe's my source and he's dramatically smarter than I'll ever be, so:

https://twitter.com/Dereklowe/status/1390029655848198153

https://twitter.com/Dereklowe/status/1390030683217793025

https://twitter.com/Dereklowe/status/1390031073300598784

Also some extra talk about the Fill/Finish portion being complex too. Hoping everyone involved worldwide can ramp up production of the base components so that invalidating the patents really does make an effect.

This essentially makes this whole thing an empty policy win for the government and pharmaceutical companies right? They get to champion how they are *above* trying to coldly cash in on a global pandemic as they take in $Texas.

The Arizona thing has already served it's purpose - undermining the credibility of the electoral process.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That makes me think of the Americans how the spy family wouldn't even keep leftover Russian food in their fridge on the tiny chance someone would recognize it and start asking questions. Dang that was a good show.

It is interesting how Russian and Chinese spies differ. Russians are trained for infiltration, but the Chinese are usually recruited locally, especially 1st gen ones. Russians go for quality and Chinese for quantity,l.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Meshka posted:

It is interesting how Russian and Chinese spies differ. Russians are trained for infiltration, but the Chinese are usually recruited locally, especially 1st gen ones. Russians go for quality and Chinese for quantity.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

This essentially makes this whole thing an empty policy win for the government and pharmaceutical companies right? They get to champion how they are *above* trying to coldly cash in on a global pandemic as they take in $Texas.

Nah, Pharma's pissed.

https://twitter.com/levfacher/status/1390048101084418051?s=19

My personal standpoint is that I don't give a flying gently caress what the pharma companies make... right now. Every dollar and bit of materials shoved to Big Pharma for this initial rampup returns like 10x the money to the economy and saves the gently caress out of lives. But Big Pharma is looking long term, in which they should go gently caress themselves, while hopefully in said long term the generics makers have enough expertise and ingredients to make the mRNA vaccines by then. There are a few vaccines already being made generically, just not the adenovirus/mRNA types.

It's absolutely an empty policy win on the government side though. It's the solution to a problem we'll have in 12 months when it doesn't do much about the material shortages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Nah, Pharma's pissed.

https://twitter.com/levfacher/status/1390048101084418051?s=19

My personal standpoint is that I don't give a flying gently caress what the pharma companies make... right now. Every dollar and bit of materials shoved to Big Pharma for this initial rampup returns like 10x the money to the economy and saves the gently caress out of lives. But Big Pharma is looking long term, in which they should go gently caress themselves, while hopefully in said long term the generics makers have enough expertise and ingredients to make the mRNA vaccines by then. There are a few vaccines already being made generically, just not the adenovirus/mRNA types.

It's absolutely an empty policy win on the government side though. It's the solution to a problem we'll have in 12 months when it doesn't do much about the material shortages.

Nationalize pharmaceutical companies, problem solved.