Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Start of thread
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1391225204815314945?s=20

End
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1391239325594046466?s=20

I never was one to be really into ACW history but stories like this are always wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I wasn't scared; nothing could possibly ever hit me harder with a Long March than 2020 already did.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/gourmetspud/status/1391143303970791426?s=21

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1391232608487497730?s=21

quote:

Some other officers hazard that maybe Ambrose Burnside & his facial hair can march north to take Norfolk.

Holy loving lol. I don’t follow much on Twitter but I’m sold on this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nick Soapdish posted:

Start of thread
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1391225204815314945?s=20

End
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1391239325594046466?s=20

I never was one to be really into ACW history but stories like this are always wonderful

Man, imagine if Abe had been a General and not a president, tenacious tall ox that he was....

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

facialimpediment posted:

Most of the big media outlets have been assigning reporters to interviewing business owners that just can't find workers, or warning about inflation, or or or

and they missed the actual story because of course they loving did

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1390652644537012224?s=19

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1390649420887248897?s=19

Take it from the actual economists.

https://twitter.com/hshierholz/status/1389571936506634245
https://twitter.com/hshierholz/status/1389572969010130946
https://twitter.com/hshierholz/status/1389572970662662157
https://twitter.com/hshierholz/status/1389583218672685060

Actions mean more than words, and their actions say there is no labor shortage.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

If I had to guess, the reason why hours aren't increased is beyond a certain threshold you owe your employees health insurance. I suspect if the choice is, be understaffed or pay insurance for employees they'll take the former, businesses being as they are.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
There’s no labor shortage and there’a no litigious society.

They’re just both effective lies that the new media serves and the public eat.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

There might be some new problems brewing at the Chernobyl reactor site. Scientists are well aware and are attempting to find solutions, but it’s not great, not terrible at least for now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

What's with the second part? If that's a lie then it's one I've taken hook, line and sinker. Hell it never even bothered me; if the choice is destitution or suing someone for damages after an accident, you bet I'd sue the poo poo out of them if it's the only recourse for survival

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's with the second part? If that's a lie then it's one I've taken hook, line and sinker. Hell it never even bothered me; if the choice is destitution or suing someone for damages after an accident, you bet I'd sue the poo poo out of them if it's the only recourse for survival

I’m a lawyer, and there isn’t a real problem with plaintiffs suing for actual injuries. The people who cause the injuries (mostly major employers/manufacturers/polluters), insurance companies, and doctor advocate groups have spread myths about the litigious society that will sue at the drop of the hat. They have said that tort reform, ie making it nearly impossible to sue for wrongful injury, would reduce health care costs, insurance costs (all types), etc.

This is not true, though, and every attempted tort reform has done nothing but shield bad actors. Costs have never been reduced because they weren’t high because of liability reasons in the first place.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

“The only reason McDonald’s lady sued was because we’re such a litigious society and had nothing to do with the insanely dangerous temperature of the coffee McDonalds was giving out”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In florida, for example, before you can even file a suit because of medical malpractice, you have to retain an expert who is willing to submit a report to the court with the initial complaint that there was medmal.

This means a putative plaintiff (or their lawyer in a contingency situation) must spend $3-5k before they can even start a suit. This has had such a chilling effect that medmal claims are virtually impossible in Florida for anything other than extreme malpractice. This has not at all reduced healthcare costs in Florida.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
See also “grocery stores and restaurants can’t give away the food they’re throwing away because a homeless person might sue if they get sick.”

This has never happened, and grocery stores love to sell discounted stuff that’s about to expire, that doesn’t seem to scare them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FrozenVent posted:

See also “grocery stores and restaurants can’t give away the food they’re throwing away because a homeless person might sue if they get sick.”

This has never happened, and grocery stores love to sell discounted stuff that’s about to expire, that doesn’t seem to scare them.

Publix throws all their stuff in the trash at the end of the day. Even the fresh cooked stuff from the deli.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There might be some new problems brewing at the Chernobyl reactor site. Scientists are well aware and are attempting to find solutions, but it’s not great, not terrible at least for now.

A better explainer: there’s no chance of another super-criticality (read: explosion). It just complicates the long term plans to remove what’s left of the lava-fuel. Worst case scenario is increased radiation weakens already weakened parts of the original reactor structure, causing a partial collapse that could send radioactive dust into the air (which would be contained by the new structure placed recently).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

BTW everyone, the Citations Needed podcast has made a whole career out of mythbusting decades of business community propaganda that's become just these kinds of background assumed knowledge due to the likes of John Stossel and Mike Rowe. Tell your friends.

Citations Needed: A podcast about the intersection of media, PR, power, and bullshit.

The Episode 85 & 86 two-parter about homelessness narratives in local broadcasting, 111 about painting corporate interests in the "small business" cloak and 134 deep diving into the history of where our private medical insurance nightmare came from are the best places to jump on.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 9, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I loving loathe mike rowe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

In florida, for example, before you can even file a suit because of medical malpractice, you have to retain an expert who is willing to submit a report to the court with the initial complaint that there was medmal.

This means a putative plaintiff (or their lawyer in a contingency situation) must spend $3-5k before they can even start a suit. This has had such a chilling effect that medmal claims are virtually impossible in Florida for anything other than extreme malpractice. This has not at all reduced healthcare costs in Florida.

Hell I like to fire back that universal healthcare would probably have more to do with curbing "frivolous" lawsuits than any of the harebrained wealth-worshiping horseshit the good ole pederast party likes to come up with

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t hear about the VA getting sued all the time (maybe it does get sued a lot and I don’t hear about it) and the VA is one of the most negligent hospital systems I’ve ever seen because of the sheer amount of work and lack of budget.

Seems ripe for lawsuits.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Other than dirty jobs what has Mike rowe done? That's the first time i remember hearing his name

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Basically spinning that show into becoming the affable public face of "All the systemic problems with our economy are your own individual failures, slacker"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stravag posted:

Other than dirty jobs what has Mike rowe done? That's the first time i remember hearing his name

He started on QVC, hilariously enough.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/

:barf:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

One of Florida's senators and its ex-governor stole billions from Medicare, and the voters there keep putting him in office. The people in that state just don't care about medical fraud or malpractice.

It sucks, sure, but that's democracy. If the electorate wants to gently caress itself, how do you stop that?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"I know the job listing said a bachelor's degree is required, but check out this." *flashes library card*

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

also popularizing "Safety Third" as a slogan is enough of a case for the guillotine aside from everything else

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Florida would be the worst state in the union if it weren't for the competition from the other states

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stravag posted:

He does/did narration for a variety of discovery shows, most notably, Deadliest Catch. I haven't seen any of the new stuff, so I don't know if he still does it, or if discovery gave it to the guy who does Ancient Aliens and ends every other sentence with a question (ancient aliens narrator also does curse of oak island).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

golden bubble posted:

Take it from the actual economists.
Actions mean more than words, and their actions say there is no labor shortage.

Which, I assumed so especially given the "we just can't find people with skills/no we aren't investing in training" we got during the Great Recession.

But what is the endgame? Why is this fake "labor shortage" being pushed? Is it just about trying to cut unemployment benefits or is there more?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which, I assumed so especially given the "we just can't find people with skills/no we aren't investing in training" we got during the Great Recession.

But what is the endgame? Why is this fake "labor shortage" being pushed? Is it just about trying to cut unemployment benefits or is there more?

It's really that simple. They are terrified of raising wages even a little.

https://twitter.com/schwartzbCNBC/status/1390675553552904195

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

This is just a checklist of the things your manager wants you to think.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Mike Rowe has a new show on Discovery plus, and it's funded by oil and gas companies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mike Rowe is such a piece of poo poo.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I really dislike the "NO SUCH THING AS A BAD JOB" narrative because it completely ignores the fact that a ton of manual labor jobs are low pay and exploitative as gently caress. I still have very strong hatred to the first couple bosses I had out of high school, and that was over 20 years ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Mike Rowe is such a piece of poo poo.

It really cannot be overstated. It's a great example of how prettying up your fascist bullshit can be a lot more effective than bullhorning it overtly. The majority of people I know in the south would agree 100% with mike rowe even ones who aren't openly pieces of poo poo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
NO SUCH THING AS A BAD JOB I say as I’m offering you $12.75/hr for you to survive on.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Discovery is poo poo. Since they debuted plus, nearly everything new goes there, only the poo poo boomers love (gold rush, homestead rescue, etc) have new episodes on their actual channels. They can gently caress off with their subscription service.

All discovery owned channels on cable now are just marathons of old shows. Seems like most of the time it's a Naked and Afraid or Deadliest Catch or Airplane Repo marathon going on, then like, 3 hours of Josh Gates dicking around. Not bitching about him, he's somewhat entertaining, but his network overlords are a bunch of fucksticks.

Mike Rowe and Discovery deserve each other. We need to abandon them both on some island that's barely a meter above sea level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

boop the snoot posted:

NO SUCH THING AS A BAD JOB I say as I’m offering you $12.75/hr for you to survive on.

The world isn't fair, and also everything is a result of personal choice! This is a consistent and reasonable thing to say!