Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My office is right next to a park and ride for express buses into the city. I live in the city. There are no buses out to the park and ride in the mornings and only one from the park and ride to the city in the afternoon.

American transit outside of the northeast corridor and I guess Chicago is so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hot Take: hahaha Texans are dumb hahaha, is just smug liberal erasure of the POC who live in TX, wishing they had a more fair representation. Trump did absolutely clobber with the dmographic known as “white men” and also “white women,” but lost in the category of women overall. And youth overall, minorities, and lower income voters.

It’s not that the desired outcome is to be racially stupid, it’s just very easy for the smug and ignorant to paint TX as homogenous rather than understanding even tiny nuances like urban/rural divide, gerrymandering, or how numbers work.

It’s the same kind of ignorance that causes people outside of NY to paint NY as a bastion of progressive leftie activism, when it’s a pretty moderate, if dependably blue, state.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

My office is right next to a park and ride for express buses into the city. I live in the city. There are no buses out to the park and ride in the mornings and only one from the park and ride to the city in the afternoon.

American transit outside of the northeast corridor and I guess Chicago is so weird.

Much of it exists to get people into downtowns on weekday mornings and out of them on weekday afternoons. Any use beyond those is ignored if not actively discouraged. For example, I would love to take the DC metro into the downtown area rather than drive in and park my dumb car somewhere on evenings or weekends but the low frequency of trains and early close mean that it requires either flawless timing if it's even viable at all. Usually what would happen if I'm going to a concert or something is that I could take a train in but then have to get a taxi back to my car on the other side of the river, which costs twice as much as just driving and parking.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arven posted:

I don't know how it was covered in Texas, but fox news was full on damage control saying actually that previous winter storm never happened, and it only happened at all this time because of wind turbines.

Were they wink winking immigrants because that and turbines was the one my dad went with. It's frankly baffling how anyone could be so stupid

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
ERCOT (and power utilities in general) also deliberately uses very opaque language so that even when people understand that it’s not just wind’s fault, they have to spend like 2 hours reading explainers before they can really understand, even superficially, the regulations and system.

Most people just won’t do that.

Or they’ll read that for one weird story (ERCOT), but won’t learn about their own power, water, or transpo network.

And while the ERCOT blackout killed about 110-120 people, over 3,500 Texans die every year in motor vehicle accidents. So that does not help utilities talk hold public attention.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 3, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
All those empty office buildings in the cities really needed their lights on instead of residential neighborhoods. How nice of Texas infrastructure to think of their fellow corporations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mlmp08 posted:

ERCOT (and power utilities in general) also deliberately uses very opaque language so that even when people understand that it’s not just wind’s fault, they have to spend like 2 hours reading explainers before they can really understand, even superficially, the regulations and system.

Most people just won’t do that.

Or they’ll read that for one weird story (ERCOT), but won’t learn about their own power, water, or transpo network.

And while the ERCOT blackout killed about 110-120 people, over 3,500 Texans die every year in motor vehicle accidents. So that does not help utilities talk hold public attention.

As a consultant who works with public utilities and local/regional/state government I can't emphasize enough how downright malfeasant public communication around major utilties projects can be, especially whenever it intersects with the oil and gas industry. They find the Devil's ad men to write the comms and the Devil's lawyer to write the fine print.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Overall I'm pretty happy to be stationed back on the west coast, but the degree to which southern California is subsumed by car culture drives me nuts (pun very much not intended). There are a few restaurants near me that if you order takeout on their web sites, they require you to enter your car's make and model for curbside pickup. The idea that you might actually walk there is not even considered. Just this morning I went to pick up a breakfast sandwich at one place, and when it wasn't ready yet when I arrived the hostess said I could just wait in my car and they would bring it out. Cue a moment of awkwardness when I explain I just walked over, and due to COVID they've blocked off all their seating in the entry area, so... I guess I'll just stand here?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah same exact thing happened in a previous winter storm. Same findings, no changes.
If people will excuse me dredging up an 11-year-old South Park episode: what the gently caress was the intended take away of "Captain Hindsight"? 'cause the tone seemed to me that they were criticizing the idea of critically examining failures and taking steps to avoid them in the future. Maybe it was just dumb contrarian "hurr-hurr what does this do for the people actively facing the problem", but that's still asinine.

Just because an onlooker doesn't have the ability to drop everything they're doing and jump in to fix the situation doesn't mean that they can't offer valid and important critiques of the failures that led to it. Hell, it's vital to do so as others have probably been ringing the same alarm bells for years and getting ignored. Amplifying that while the crisis is ongoing and shining a light on those who hosed up is essential to ward off the gaslighting of "well, no one could have expected this" from the people in power who were told again and again that their decisions might produce that exact outcome.

Also gently caress those people laughing at dumb Texans "getting what they deserve". There's a lot of good people held hostage to a rotten Republican government. Heaping scorn on them is counter-productive and reflects a lot on the character of those having a laugh at their expense.

anyway, that's my ted talk, thanks for coming. Please sign my petition to extend the weekend indefinitely.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kesper North posted:

As a consultant who works with public utilities and local/regional/state government I can't emphasize enough how downright malfeasant public communication around major utilties projects can be, especially whenever it intersects with the oil and gas industry. They find the Devil's ad men to write the comms and the Devil's lawyer to write the fine print.

don't blame the devil for this

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There are a few restaurants near me that if you order takeout on their web sites, they require you to enter your car's make and model for curbside pickup.

lol what the gently caress

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Texas enabled the worst carbon monoxide poisoning catastrophe in recent U.S. history

quote:

Industry groups like the Texas Association of Builders at the time staunchly opposed it, criticizing carbon monoxide alarms as an “unproven technology” that would do more harm than good if required.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Texas Association of Builders reversed their stance when the International Code Council recommended them in all new and renovated construction in 2009, but a bill to pass them had not been introduced since.
They shouldn't have opposed them in the first place, because having a CO alarm is always better than not having one, even if there are questions about their reliability, because you literally cannot detect CO without an alarm. By the time it's making you ill it's nearly too late to escape, if it's not too late already.

quote:

In light of the new standards, the Texas Association of Builders has changed its position, said Scott Norman, the group’s executive director. The group now supports requirements for carbon monoxide alarms in newly constructed and renovated residences, Norman said.

“Decades ago, there were questions about the reliability,” he said. “But the codes evolve.”

Granted yeah it should have been introduced again in 2009 after the ICC changed their recommendations, and then probably every legislative session after, but the Texas legislature as a body doesn't give a poo poo about people over property, and the Texas Association of Builders is not a legislative entity. They could probably take it upon themselves to basically de facto require new construction to include CO alarms, but without legislative muscle to back it up and put the force of law behind it, it won't do poo poo/is doomed to failure.

It still won't pass now because the folks with the power are the stupidest, loudest folks.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 3, 2021

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
How can so many people not understand car fumes, burning coal without ventilation, or running a generator inside without ventilation can kill?

Co2 alarms are pretty much just idiot alerts if they ever go off.

:911:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

How can so many people not understand car fumes, burning coal without ventilation, or running a generator inside without ventilation can kill?

A lot of the folks who were ill and died were folks from poor neighborhoods, PoC, and recent immigrants who may lack that basic knowledge that there's a colorless, odorless gas that can kill you without you even knowing it. If there's no public access education to the dangers of CO, then folks like that won't know about it. I know in GA when they changed the regs on CO alarms there were commercials on the OTA/local news channels about CO alarms.

It's not a matter of :911: or dumb Texans, it's people being failed because the Texas legislature moved to protect home builders back when the law was introduced back then, and in the legislative scramble after the storm, nobody's giving a second thought to mandating CO alarms in new or existing structures, and without the legislative backing there's no money to fund an education campaign to reach out to poor and underserved communities regarding the danger.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 3, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

If people will excuse me dredging up an 11-year-old South Park episode: what the gently caress was the intended take away of "Captain Hindsight"? 'cause the tone seemed to me that they were criticizing the idea of critically examining failures and taking steps to avoid them in the future. Maybe it was just dumb contrarian "hurr-hurr what does this do for the people actively facing the problem", but that's still asinine.

I thought the point to captain hindsight was that everyone other than him was doing no critical thinking whatsoever and refused to do any. They would wait for a disaster to strike, ask captain hindisght what should have been done before it happened, but noone including captain hindsight ever was putting forth a plan to prevent it in the future and all the insight he gave was worthless trash because people just wanted to shift blame. Like if someone slipped on a puddle of water, he would fly in and say "this should have been mopped up" everyone would thank him then he would fly off.

I thought that was the point they were making, not that people were dumb for asking what went wrong but that they werent doing anything about it because they got a surface level answer so everything is good forever now. Like with the texas power problem it happened before, an investigation said how it happened before, but nothing was done because people got their hindsight in so we're good to go now even though nothing was changed just like in that set of episodes.

It's been a few years so i could be misremembering the point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's hard to tell with M&T because they are the quintessential contrarians and would probably disagree with whatever read you came up with provided they didn't like you.

I'm loving over contrarians at this point

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

A lot of the folks who were ill and died were folks from poor neighborhoods, PoC, and recent immigrants who may lack that basic knowledge that there's a colorless, odorless gas that can kill you without you even knowing it. If there's no public access education to the dangers of CO, then folks like that won't know about it. I know in GA when they changed the regs on CO alarms there were commercials on the OTA/local news channels about CO alarms.

It's not a matter of :911: or dumb Texans, it's people being failed because the Texas legislature moved to protect home builders back when the law was introduced back then, and in the legislative scramble after the storm, nobody's giving a second thought to mandating CO alarms in new or existing structures, and without the legislative backing there's no money to fund an education campaign to reach out to poor and underserved communities regarding the danger.

Pretty sure he was role playing republican lawmakers

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Pretty sure he was role playing republican lawmakers

Poes law

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stravag posted:

It's been a few years so i could be misremembering the point

This is a pretty good interpretation. But it's also about South Park, so don't go making your brain burn over a cartoon that's largely just "the most ridiculous outcome comes home to roost." Also since they pull so heavily from pop culture, if you really need to know what the point of a character was, you have to remember what happened at the time.

That miniseries was mostly about the gulf BP oil spill, when everyone was wringing hands about it because how to fix it. And yes I watch too many cartoons. Can't help my love for Towelie.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This is a pretty good interpretation. But it's also about South Park, so don't go making your brain burn over a cartoon that's largely just "the most ridiculous outcome comes home to roost." Also since they pull so heavily from pop culture, if you really need to know what the point of a character was, you have to remember what happened at the time.

That miniseries was mostly about the gulf BP oil spill, when everyone was wringing hands about it because how to fix it. And yes I watch too many cartoons. Can't help my love for Towelie.

To be fair, 2015 to 2020 was pretty much “the most ridiculous outcomes come home to roost”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ded posted:

First they’re CO alarm. You don’t need a CO2 alarm because your body comes with one.

Second they can often be the first sign that your furnace is malfunctioning, or that there’s a ventilation issue. My father had one go off because of some weird poo poo with his furnace, and my former employer had multiple cases of CO poisoning because people would park machinery too close to ventilation intakes. In that case that was a design idiocy, I guess.

When you add in people doing unusual operations like trying to keep warm in an emergency, it’s not surprising they wouldn’t take CO into account. poo poo, I’m trained in that sort of thing and almost put myself in the hospital working with solvent once. Gases are a pain in the rear end.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FrozenVent posted:

Gases are a pain in the rear end.

Am in 30s. Can confirm.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

To be fair, 2015 to 2020 was pretty much “the most ridiculous outcomes come home to roost”

Yeah. Keep in mind that South Park is just a fun house mirror for society. How seriously you take it is just a reflection on yourself.

They don't have all the answers, so maybe just have a laugh and get your political opinions from something more substantial.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

Just because an onlooker doesn't have the ability to drop everything they're doing and jump in to fix the situation doesn't mean that they can't offer valid and important critiques of the failures that led to it. Hell, it's vital to do so as others have probably been ringing the same alarm bells for years and getting ignored. Amplifying that while the crisis is ongoing and shining a light on those who hosed up is essential to ward off the gaslighting of "well, no one could have expected this" from the people in power who were told again and again that their decisions might produce that exact outcome.

Also gently caress those people laughing at dumb Texans "getting what they deserve". There's a lot of good people held hostage to a rotten Republican government. Heaping scorn on them is counter-productive and reflects a lot on the character of those having a laugh at their expense.

anyway, that's my ted talk, thanks for coming. Please sign my petition to extend the weekend indefinitely.

ERCOT literally refuses to invest in their infrastructure in order to funnel money in the C suite pockets. Its a metaphor for just how bad the Free Market is at actually addressing issues.

"Captain Hindsight" is that ERCOT knows about the issues, and REFUSES to address them. If they actually gave a gently caress they would've done something after the 2011 Blackouts. They didn't. Its not worth offering more critique when ERCOT will do nothing with it.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

boop the snoot posted:

I feel like 2015 was probably the last time I actually thought about actively seeking out that show to watch since the style of comedy just doesn’t work like it used to.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Like Ancient Aliens, South Park definitely still works well with the "get stoned, watch stupid poo poo" line of comedy.

We're just tired of satire because it's loving everywhere you look now. It's a race to the bottom between reality and television.

This is why we have Bob's Burgers. To cleanse the soul with lighthearted comedic fluff, instead of being pounded with irony. See also the Great North. King of the Hill, too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 3, 2021

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have to admit Towlie-ban was a top tier joke to me when I first heard it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Milo and POTUS posted:

don't blame the devil for this

lol what the gently caress

lovely app design is far more likely than intentionally loving over the walking community.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tons of places have extended hours drive thrus and zero pedestrian service.

It’s one of those times when classism and cost savings all make a grotesque marriage.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Since ditching my car a couple years ago, I've discovered it's impossible to remove it from various spots I'd entered its info around the internet (USAA, Amazon, misc. apps) without first specifying a new primary vehicle. That's bizarre because they would have had to deliberately go out of their way to implement that restriction. And only one has been freeform enough for me to just put in my bike's make and model.

It's amazing to me that walkthroughs are not more of a thing where the density would support them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gotta give big recognition to CookOut for building walk-up windows at every location, even in in the suburban hellscapes where you literally can't get there without a car

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mlmp08 posted:

Tons of places have extended hours drive thrus and zero pedestrian service.

It’s one of those times when classism and cost savings all make a grotesque marriage.

Also security. I've had more than one neighborhood taco bell close its lobby at 11 because they didn't feel safe, but kept the drive thru open because then they are still 24 hours

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Mad Libs strikes again.

https://twitter.com/publicroad/status/1389249047832240129

And I'm finally getting around to this one and :stonk:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1388517469128642564

quote:

On Wednesday, Samsel, R-Wellsville, was substitute teaching at the Wellsville school district’s secondary school. Throughout the day, high school students began recording videos of the lawmaker talking about suicide, sex, masturbation, God and the Bible.

In one video shared with The Star, Samsel tells students about “a sophomore who’s tried killing himself three times,” adding that it was because “he has two parents and they’re both females.”

“He’s a foster kid. His alternatives in life were having no parents or foster care parents who are gay,” Samsel tells students. “How do you think I’m going to feel if he commits suicide? Awful.”

In another video, Samsel is recorded telling students, “make babies. Who likes making babies? That feels good, doesn’t it? Procreate ... You haven’t masturbated? Don’t answer that question. ... God already knows.”

IT ACCELERATES FROM HERE

quote:

Videos shared with The Star — by parents of students in the class — show Samsel focusing most of his attention on one male student. Both Samsel and the student paced around the classroom, talking back and forth. Samsel is shown following the student around and grabbing him. In one video, he puts his arms around the student and says that he was being hard on him.

At one point, Samsel tells the student, “You’re about ready to anger me and get the wrath of God. Do you believe me when I tell you that God has been speaking to me?” He then pushes him, and the student runs to the other side of the classroom.

“You should run and scream.”

In another video, he tells students, “Class, you have permission to kick him in the balls.”

Parents told The Star that Samsel “put hands on the student” and allegedly kneed him in the crotch. In a video apparently taken immediately after the incident, the student is shown on the ground. Samsel is standing over him and says, “did it hurt?”

He then asks him why he is about to start crying, pats him on the shoulder and apologizes, and then says he can “go to the nurse, she can check it for you.”

Samsel addresses another student and says, “do you want to check his nuts for him, please?”

quote:

In a Snapchat post shared with The Star, Samsel wrote that “it was all planned.”

“Every little bit of it. That’s right. The kids and I planned ALL this to SEND A MESSAGE about art, mental health, teenage suicide, how we treat our educators and one another. To who? Parents. And grandparents. And all of Wellsville,” he posted.

He wrote that he gave one particular student “hope.”

“I went to jail for battery. Does that really make me a criminal? Time will tell.”

He said that the incident happened during fifth period, and that the classes before that hour went as planned, and he shared the same lesson in each one. He said what happened was “exactly what God planned. The kids were in on it. Not all of them. But most.”

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I took an Uber to a Covid test at a suburban urgent care back in January and you were supposed to call from your car for your appointment. The receptionist was genuinely baffled when I said I wasn't in a car and asked if they could please hurry it up because it's cold out. I ended up waiting in the parking lot for almost half an hour before they let me in. At least it was only uncomfortable, not dangerously cold.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This seemed on topic:
https://twitter.com/MsAudioJB/status/1389234608517046283

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It annoys me that half of those people probably wouldn’t line up for a line half that long for a vaccine.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The Taste of Chicago isn't until like, July, and what the gently caress does it have to do with White Castle? Did they start selling slider hot dogs?

White Castle isn't even like, a thing, in Illinois. Yeah, it's there, but with no more fanfare than anywhere else. They didn't start there.

Oh, Florida. Just saw Orlando.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I have three White Castles within five miles. Those people are going to be disappointed. Then distressed in about 6-8 hours.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

There was a big rush when a Shake Shack opened near us. I hadn't been before but gave it a try and it was fine. Guessing the crowds were people who grew up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I love white castle burgers, but not enough to wait more than maybe 10 minutes for an order.

We don't have white castles in Colorado, so until I go 1000+ miles either east or west, it's freezer burgers for me. Toss a sliced pickle on it fresh out the microwave and it's 95% there, just light on the onions.