Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
A driver on a narrow street in Queens this week tried to pass another car by going into the bike lane at 50mph. Newsworthy because, in so doing, they collided at full speed into an outdoor dining space, murdering one and wounding another—avoiding an all-out massacre only because there were hardly any diners at the time. Police initially announced it was a result of a medical incident, but then video came out of the wanton negligence the driver displayed.

https://twitter.com/CurbJumpingNYC/status/1388136498076262401?s=19

There are three things to be done to prevent this in the future: fundamentally transform Americans' behavior behind the wheel into something less ragingly sociopathic; fundamentally transform our urban road infrastructure from prioritizing driver's speed to prioritizing the safety of everyone else using the street; and, of course, get personal cars off the roads in favor of walkable, bikeable, and transit-accessible urban areas. The more likely outcome, of course, is assholes in city government using this as an excuse to shut down outdoor dining.

And, since this has been a point of confusion ITT before, no, this doesn't mean your family in the sticks needs to give up their car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My first driving test instructor failed me because someone else came to a complete stop at an intersection where I had a stop sign and they didn't, we both sat there for 30 seconds, then I finally made the first move because the other car clearly didn't know what it was doing.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My only point of contention with your comment is that Design Speed is not the controlling design factor in urban geometric design. Current design standards heavily consider multi-modal and pedestrian access needs, however were not standardized until the 1980's, well after most of American urban infrastructure was already constructed. Transforming from the former to the latter is going to cost $Texas and DOTs are critically underfunded and forced to prioritize budgets of failing infrastructure (and litigation), even prior to COVID.
That's certainly fair: a metro area unfortunately can't overhaul its infrastructure overnight, but even the latest construction too often seems to minimally accommodate non-car traffic rather than treat it as an equal. An ADA-compliant pedestrian island with bollards in the middle of a 6-lane road, for example, is better than nothing, but that the 6-lane road exists at all, carving a canyon into a populous urban neighborhood, suggests that we still have a very long way to go when it comes to priorities.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of Biden's infrastructure plan.

Best Friends posted:

To cops, people who kill people with cars are honorary reserve constables
It should be noted that the GOP is actively pushing protections for vehicular violence against protestors through state legislatures throughout the country. There's a real likelihood that the next round of major protests will see a higher rate of chuds deliberately ramming their lifted trucks into a crowd and getting off on the claim that they felt threatened.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

CainFortea posted:

The idea of annoying drivers enough to not drive, is "The free market will regulate itself" but wearing a "i like trains" t-shirt.
Folks favor the faster, more reliable option. That driving oneself into work wins out for many Americans doesn't reflect an inherent superiority of the car, but a century's worth of policy that has not just prioritized cars, but imposed them as the only viable option for a huge swathe of the country. You're right in that shifting the massive subsidies given to personal automobiles back to transit risks massive backlash if that transit isn't an unambiguous and accessible improvement from the get-go (to say nothing of just dumb conservative culture war bullshit). Getting that sequencing and messaging right is hard and probably nonviable outside of major metro areas. It's still worth doing where we can.

It's also important to acknowledge these "things that annoy drivers" are typically things that empower folks to choose alternate modes of transportation by making them safe and accessible. Dropping lanes of car traffic for protected bike and bus lanes, putting in curb extensions and islands, and closing off residential streets to car traffic all help provide assurance to folks that they can choose to reliably walk, roll, or bus to wherever without fear of a negligent or outright sociopathic driver turning them or their children into a red smear on the pavement.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Just steer clear of Mayelin village.
https://twitter.com/_DanielSinclair/status/1275276185744945152?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Double posting because holy poo poo their safety protocols are still hot garbage 24 years later. Some American space nerds are whiny about SpaceX not being able to jerk regulators around, but I'm happy with a minor delay on launches if it means we're taking the steps necessary to avoid a mass casualty event.

https://youtu.be/GjlB48N7Tus

There was also a video with interviews with foreign press who were present for the Mayelin disaster recounting the village streets teaming with children eager to watch the rocket beforehand on their way to the press viewing location, and catching fleeting glimpses of the devastation as their government handlers rushed them out and confiscated their equipment. Can't find it with a quick search, so either I'm dumb or the CCP flagged it with enough bogus reports to take it down.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 2, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
To drive my earlier point home, this just happened in Seattle: https://twitter.com/MarcusKulik/status/1388741331460116482?s=19

Victim is okay as the attacker fortunately didn't floor it. Tweet says arrested, though may just be detained to give a statement.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

DJ Burette posted:

I seem to remember from my time in the US that most American city centres are 50% car park at the moment, but is this type of system viable at all? Then you don't penalise poorer people who are forced to live far away from jobs and need to drive in, you can pedestrianise some of the more dense city centre, and you can guarantee high usage of public transport which makes it more attractive to set up
Would note that there's a ton of overlap in folks fighting for alternate transportation options and those fighting for affordability that would allow people to live where they want. Walkable neighborhoods shouldn't ever be a luxury of the elite. Folks who want to live in the city can live in the city, folks who want to live out in the burbs or rural areas can live there.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah same exact thing happened in a previous winter storm. Same findings, no changes.
If people will excuse me dredging up an 11-year-old South Park episode: what the gently caress was the intended take away of "Captain Hindsight"? 'cause the tone seemed to me that they were criticizing the idea of critically examining failures and taking steps to avoid them in the future. Maybe it was just dumb contrarian "hurr-hurr what does this do for the people actively facing the problem", but that's still asinine.

Just because an onlooker doesn't have the ability to drop everything they're doing and jump in to fix the situation doesn't mean that they can't offer valid and important critiques of the failures that led to it. Hell, it's vital to do so as others have probably been ringing the same alarm bells for years and getting ignored. Amplifying that while the crisis is ongoing and shining a light on those who hosed up is essential to ward off the gaslighting of "well, no one could have expected this" from the people in power who were told again and again that their decisions might produce that exact outcome.

Also gently caress those people laughing at dumb Texans "getting what they deserve". There's a lot of good people held hostage to a rotten Republican government. Heaping scorn on them is counter-productive and reflects a lot on the character of those having a laugh at their expense.

anyway, that's my ted talk, thanks for coming. Please sign my petition to extend the weekend indefinitely.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Since ditching my car a couple years ago, I've discovered it's impossible to remove it from various spots I'd entered its info around the internet (USAA, Amazon, misc. apps) without first specifying a new primary vehicle. That's bizarre because they would have had to deliberately go out of their way to implement that restriction. And only one has been freeform enough for me to just put in my bike's make and model.

It's amazing to me that walkthroughs are not more of a thing where the density would support them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So can someone tell me why I’m wrong in thinking that Thomas was right that the court should have heard this case? On its face this seems pretty ridiculous and awful to me.
The article has zero mention of what reasoning was put forth by those rejecting the appeal, which seems like a major oversight. It mentioned that liberals in general are concerned about overturning precedent given the conservative domination of the Court, but didn't give any time to the actual words of the Justices (if any). Curious if this is one of those things that looks ridiculously bad on its face, but turns out to be a lot more complicated.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Tyro posted:

Yeah I took an Uber to a Covid test at a suburban urgent care back in January and you were supposed to call from your car for your appointment. The receptionist was genuinely baffled when I said I wasn't in a car and asked if they could please hurry it up because it's cold out. I ended up waiting in the parking lot for almost half an hour before they let me in. At least it was only uncomfortable, not dangerously cold.
You're lucky as there've been multiple reports of mass vaccination sites turning away anyone not using car or motorcycle. This is a massive equity issue. While the yuppies forgoing car ownership as a lifestyle choice can adjust their schedule and open their pocketbooks to solve the issue for themselves, I'd wager that the majority of people that don't own cars in America have financial reasons. Places outright turning them away on arrival is abominable and literally risking lives.

quote:

Daniel Filipkowski of San Francisco finally managed to get an appointment for his vaccine at the Oakland Coliseum. He got his confirmation email Sunday with all his details. He headed down via BART on Monday. But when he got there, he and others who walked across the pedestrian bridge from the BART station were in for a shock–despite all the public announcements encouraging people to take transit to the Coliseum, he was turned away.

“There’s no walk-ups,” Filipkowski said he was told by an official waiting at the end of the bridge. “I show him my phone, the emails, there’s nothing in the email that says no walk-ups. So he says you have to get in your car and go around.”

Of course, Filipkowski took BART, so he didn’t have a car. Instead, he hailed a Lyft. Half an hour and $100 later, he finally got his jab.

Despite the fact that the Oakland site is one of the few places people can reach relatively easily on public transportation, and despite the fact that the site was promoted as a transit-accessible venue for vaccinations, the California Office of Emergency Services (CalOES) is turning away anyone who doesn’t show up ensconced in a giant hunk of metal and glass.

Update from Alameda County: “The Pedestrian Village has served an important function, but it remains underutilized and we continue to hear from community members that the mobile units are highly preferred. At this time, Alameda County does not intend to keep the Pedestrian Village open if/when the site transitions to local control,” wrote Neetu Balram, Public Information Manager, Alameda County Public Health Department, in an email to Streetsblog
The response mirrors a recurring trope in conversations involving non-car modes of transportation: "no one is using the sidewalk/bike lane/bus, so why fund it?!" This obviously ignores that much of the under-utilization stems from these options being so underfunded as to be non-viable. If you're turning people away and they're going home and telling their community they got turned away, people will either put in extra effort to get access to a car or just write off the vaccine entirely because a discriminatory system failed them. Similarly, if a bus only runs once every hour, does not keep to its posted schedule, and is poorly connected to the broader network, it discourages all but those who have no other option. Hence the folks who can afford it choosing to drive for the relative flexibility over their mismanaged local bus systems.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

The military’s regular helicopter crashes do not give me a great feeling about military iron man suits.
Just need one dumb mistake or an opposed landing to ensure the flyer splats against a hard object or plunges into the sea with that 100+ lbs kit on their back.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Germany shuttering the entire nuclear industry as a knee-jerk to Fukushima was possibly as stupid as Brexit.
It wasn't just stupidity. Russia bankrolled a massive influence campaign and subverted major political figures to push that shutdown through in order to make Germany ever more reliant on Russian natural gas. AFAIK there's been no impactful accounting or even introspection about that?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh thank god. I read that and was like, how is that not dumber
Ah, yeah, I misread the initial post.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Hi

quote:

quick question

quote:

Just want to get your take on (broad subject X)

quote:

Do you think you could help

quote:

?

FrozenVent posted:

My favorite is people messaging “Hi.”

Then a minute later “how are you?”

...dude just ask your loving question
https://nohello.net/

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
In non-desk-job-related news, Israel appears to suddenly be putting in extra effort to incite anger and unrest.

https://twitter.com/LinahAlsaafin/status/1390778625885081600?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
There's a fire at Al-Aqsa after another day of Israeli police attacking the site with the goal of sparking violent resistance they'll use to justify violent repression. Israel's far-right Jewish supremacists are absolutely orgasmic over it:
https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1391876305571000324?s=19

Hamas has launched at least one rocket in retaliation for the attacks, to which Israel responded with a series of airstrikes and a propaganda campaign decrying Palestinian violence. "Where's the Palestinian Ghandi‽‽"
https://twitter.com/joshualeifer/status/1390788838772166659?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Countdown to when Israel just seizes the entirety of the West Bank for “security reasons.”
I mean, it's been fully seized for years, they just save resources by delegating day-to-day governance in majority Palestinian areas to the local, non-sovereign Palestinian Authority.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I started reading a book on the Algerian War for Independence recently and it's maddening how colonizing powers repeat the same racist mistakes again and again. Indigenous subjects are consistently treated as subhuman, even often by those who support coexistence. The anger toward and violence against the occupier is viewed as an unfounded, infantile temper tantrum rather than an obvious consequence of inequitable treatment in law and broader society. Instead of trying to build a united society that welcomes the indigenous population into an new, united "nation", they create a powder keg of resentment.

When things inevitably blow up, they do everything they can to slam the lid back on things and extend the unsustainable status quo another few years. Eventually circumstances produce an uprising turned all-out war, which can only have three options: withdrawal of the colonizers, a political agreement with a rebalanced social contract, or all-out genocide against the colonized. Given the Israeli right's decades of insistence that Israel is the only safe place in the world for Jews (and, increasingly, that Jews outside Israel aren't real Jews), it seems all too likely we're hurtling toward the third option sooner or later.

Write your congresspeople. More Democratic representatives are speaking out than ever (though still hardly any) and they all need to hear from their constituents that it's time for America's indulgence of apartheid to end.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
An Israeli mob just lynched an Arab on live TV.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
A Jewish supremacist mob broke into a Palestinian home in Haifa. The police showed up and... beat the Palestinian homeowners.
https://twitter.com/RiyaAlsanah/status/1392627573105045506?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

If Hezbollah is entering the conflict, it’s going to be a wholly new level of escalation. They actually have rockets that go well beyond “pipe bomb with fins” and are better trained, well disciplined and have been preparing for all out war with Israel since 2006.
I'm awfully curious what effect their involvement in the Syrian Civil War has had on their military capabilities and what it means for a hypothetical conflict with the IDF. On the one hand, there's only so much that experience fighting ill-equipped rebels in technicals carries over to a battlefield where that power dynamic is reversed, but it still has to offer some advantage over an opponent whose only experience in the last decade is acting as an occupying force, albeit with the occasional foray into Gaza.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
BDS is the only course of action short of kinetic military action against the Israeli government that has a chance of turning things around at this point. It's not enough to just cancel the billions in subsidies, costs must be imposed to pressure the government for meaningful change.

I've seen some centrist/liberal eye-rolling about "hurr hurr, this dumb leftist opposes blanket sanctions regimes against Iran and Cuba, but supports them against Israel. Hypocritical, much?" This is, of course, nonsensically reductive of the very real differences between these states which make such measures against the latter vastly more efficacious than against the former. Namely: Israel is an Apartheid state that denies representation and rights to a vast number of its residents, but it is still, for the time being, a democracy where leaders must be responsive to the franchised populace on a level that more authoritarian states simply need not.

It's not just the folks at the tip of the spear in the settlements that must face this cost—they're merely an outgrowth of a broader trend toward genocide-enabling ethno-supremacy that must be addressed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The Israeli government is also trumpeting these same strikes as wins against "terrorism", so there's zero reason to believe they're somehow false flags.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Voted for Joe in 2020 to oust Trump, which I still think was the right decision, but I can't in good conscience support anyone from the administration in 2024 if they don't do a hard 180 right the gently caress now.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Yeah, I can't see how this is anything but a continuation of the exact same rhetoric Democrats have used for decades while looking the other way while Israel commits ethnic cleansing and hammers nail after nail into the coffin of an equitable peace.

There are more and more Dem reps speaking out against the occupation and the American role in it, which is awesome and I can very much see the party flipping its position in the next two decades. But Joe is holding that back and Palestinian civilians are suffering for it.

There are a lot of hard policy challenges the US faces. Cutting off $3.8 billion in military aid to an ethnonationalist state that spits in the face of international law and basic human decency is not one of them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Rather than creating one more state based off an ethnoreligious identity, the states involved should have taken a stand against the scourge of anti-Semitism everywhere, affirming that Jews (and all others) are welcome in their countries. The decision makers at the time were too racist for that, but great strides have been made since, despite the insistence from supremacists in Israel that it's the only safe place in the world for the Jewish people.

The only way forward is to keep up the fight against anti-Semitism at home at the same time as Israel is forced to abandon its campaign of ethnic cleansing.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Am I the only one who read that line as a subtle criticism while avoiding censor actions?

"Support IDF Soldiers who do everything to keep us all in these tough days".

Not "keep us all safe".

Just "keep us here".
Nah, that's just a typo. Their Facebook post with the same message says "keep us safe": https://www.facebook.com/361372130690570/posts/1852641808230254/?sfnsn=mo

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Vaguely reminds me of the story a few years back of the Canadian soldier who was identified as an extremist, but fled with weapons before they could catch him. I wonder whatever came of that.
https://twitter.com/M__Verbruggen/status/1394877995878424579?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

I am sure she has a nice apartment but in northern VA/DC, everything is a “luxury” apartment. It’s a bit of a misnomer.
"Luxury" is a marketing term that means nothing and will be used by just about any landlord offering units that do not fit their locality's "affordable housing" criteria. A lovely apartment complex unrenovated since the 70s will bill its units as luxury. It basically just means "market rate".

Flikken posted:

How luxury could her apartment building be if it is connected to a grocery store??

If this is a thing for rich people please ignore me
Why should this just be a thing for rich people? I'd love to live on top of a grocery store and just walk down for fresh fruit, veggies, and baked goods whenever necessary.

Since mixed-use zoning is only starting to make a comeback and little bodegas are illegal in 99% of the US, yeah, it's currently mostly limited to higher-end grocery and the apartments/condos target the highest end of the market they think they can pull in. Doesn't mean it's not an awesome idea, though.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Epiphyte posted:

I never understood why these mixed use developments have apartments on top of loving lululemon and a Samsonite store

Hell yeah, I'd like being on top of a dry cleaners, grocery and walgreens
Eh, in a city with serious population density, the only alternatives are either multilevel malls or plopping down a block of single-story shops amidst mid-rises. The latter doesn't make much sense from either a planning or economic perspective. The heyday of the indoor mall is behind us, but maybe people continuing to move to cities will breath some life back into them post-Covid. I like the mixed-use approach though as it gives more life to the streets.

There's definitely complaints from developers/property-owners that they can't fill commercial spots in mandated mixed-use developments, but that should always be read as "can't fill commercial spots with the lease terms we're demanding". Just like with homes, they'll sit on empty space for years hoping to hold out for their golden goose. Just like with homes, putting more units/spaces on the market forces the greedy assholes to either adjust their terms to the advantage of the buyer/leaser or else be stuck sitting on the money-draining property for even longer.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/OpenBordersJon/status/1395474513291272201?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
With the ceasefire now in force, Israel is breathing a sigh of relief and going straight back to the provocations that prompted the exchange in the first place.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1395737618432811012?s=19

Taking bets on how long before occupying forces kill a worshipper in al-Aqsa, Hamas launches a rocket in response, and Israel unleashes a propaganda (and renewed bombing) campaign of "You see how those perfidious Arabs break their word‽ They hate peace as much as they hate the Jewish people!"

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The D&D Eastern Europe thread is always a good read. Looks like Belarus just hijacked a plane in order to nab an opponent of the regime.
https://twitter.com/yuvalweber/status/1396481381648240642?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
A number of major cities have multiple golf courses within their limits (sometimes municipally-owned and operating at a loss!) which were erected with an explicit agenda of "let's eliminate swathes of land that might go to homes for 'the wrong sort' and instead be carved out as effectively private parkland for rich white men."

Outside of areas with housing crises, sure go hog wild so long as it doesn't require utterly devastating the local groundwater reserves to maintain the esthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Because I honestly don't give a gently caress.
The world is run by monsters.
My moral outrage changes nothing. It provides nothing of value. It's a waste of time and energy I don't feel is worth the expenditure.
Not to be a dick, but then why put energy into making and then defending the "lol nothing matters" case? If you're not judging anyone else and don't think the issue matters, is there any intent to chiming in beyond reaffirming your personal nihilism?