Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
COMRADS! YOU HAD ME AT MAYDAY

CELEBRATE YOUR WORKING CLASS COMRADES!

Posts that belong in the news thread:

-Actual news
-Discussions of news. "Well I think this could have been averted if the engineer had not overgreased the bearing like a monkey who only knows one trick."
-Debate about news. "I disagree, over-lubbing a shaft bearing is a valid approach if one considers the Engin R DUMB theorem"

Things that don't belong in the news thread:

-Discussing other posters. "Stop licking the engineer's boot you dumb piece of poo poo."
-Ad hominem attack. "I bet you got your engineering license in a trashcan, where you belong, you engineer piece of poo poo."
-Attacks against merchant marine engineers. They already have it hard enough, the poor ginger bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm happy to be pointed to quotes to the contrary, but I believe any disagreement in the Current Events thread previously centered towards primary residential types in urban areas and discouragement of the use of single-passenger vehicles from the suburbs to city centers.

My only point of contention with your comment is that Design Speed is not the controlling design factor in urban geometric design. Current design standards heavily consider multi-modal and pedestrian access needs, however were not standardized until the 1980's, well after most of American urban infrastructure was already constructed. Transforming from the former to the latter is going to cost $Texas and DOTs are critically underfunded and forced to prioritize budgets of failing infrastructure (and litigation), even prior to COVID.

See kids this is an example of how to properly disagree with someone in the CE thread. Keep it up y’all. Also squirrelly is a real engineer, not a boat engineer.

I have no memory of starting this thread.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 1, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

This is the coast guard prepare to be boarded

My gangway is ready. :whatup:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

You want some traffic fun?

Instead of a roundabout, its a weird figure eight. If you’re going faster than 15mph or so it almost feels like you’re going to flip. This is in Hays, KS.

The vestigial Vine St. isn’t actually a road anymore. The yellow road is Vine now.

I hate to be the one who has to say it out loud, but that traffic device is way too sexy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ded posted:

How can so many people not understand car fumes, burning coal without ventilation, or running a generator inside without ventilation can kill?

Co2 alarms are pretty much just idiot alerts if they ever go off.

:911:

First they’re CO alarm. You don’t need a CO2 alarm because your body comes with one.

Second they can often be the first sign that your furnace is malfunctioning, or that there’s a ventilation issue. My father had one go off because of some weird poo poo with his furnace, and my former employer had multiple cases of CO poisoning because people would park machinery too close to ventilation intakes. In that case that was a design idiocy, I guess.

When you add in people doing unusual operations like trying to keep warm in an emergency, it’s not surprising they wouldn’t take CO into account. poo poo, I’m trained in that sort of thing and almost put myself in the hospital working with solvent once. Gases are a pain in the rear end.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Sure that’s not also construction prices rather than WFH “pushing” people?

Housing market is weird right now due to construction costs and low supply of new homes. A lot of boring, not particularly hot neighborhoods are seeing 10-20% spikes almost overnight, and the national median home price is rising faster than it has since 2006.

A whole lot more going on than some WFH.

The cost of the actual building is only a tiny part of the cost of real estate.

Right now my house is worth about 135k in materials and labor (or was before material costs spiked). The land it’s on, according to the city, is worth about 300k.

The house across the street, which does not have parking but does have nicer counter tops, just sold for 650k.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sacrist65 posted:

*Fortune 100 CEOs crowd an auditorium while the Pittsburgh Ice Cream Shop owner loads a PowerPoint*

" To get people to work for you..."

* The audience collectively leans in *

"...Pay them"

*vigorous note taking commences*

A voice from the back:

“Where did you get your MBA?”

The ice cream shop owner shrugs. “Don’t have one.”

The CEOs laugh and file out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Few people have come to know the “true” story of the origin of Sinko de Mayo. It is my pleasure to set the record straight.

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The Titanic hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

I’d probe you for showing pictures of poorly secured deck cargo, but I know you’ve got enough on your plate right now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They know China has regular-rear end paper too right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's a terrible thing to wish on these people.

Engine failure is relatively survivable in a modern airplane. "I hope you fly into the side of a mountain" would be more beneficial for society, as well as more likely given the way a lot of these assholes fly.

Fucks up the mountain though. Ocean’s better.

But holy poo poo the level of disconnection from the common folk on display in that interview is insane.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Remote work breaks the boomer and boomer-like mind because they can’t see people at their desks and that’s what they associate to productivity.

I spent a year remote and I’ve been back in the office for four months now. The productivity I lost from those alleged water cooler conversations is far, far eclipsed by the productivity lost from random people popping into my office to ask dumb questions and the logistics of being at the office instead of home.

My employer would straight up get more out of me if I was WFH, but here I am on a Friday at 16:30 watching YouTube videos because it’s dead.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My favorite is people messaging “Hi.”

Then a minute later “how are you?”

...dude just ask your loving question

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hekk posted:

Maybe they want to have a conversation that is not recorded? People are sometimes more candid face to face or over the phone when there isn't an obvious record of them saying a thing.

Quite often that’s the case, and that’s why I want whatever they say in writing.

It’s always the slippery motherfuckers who want to do everything face to face or over the phone.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Thats what you get sailing non US non union. USCG demands we get paid in full with the option of check, cash, or direct deposit or they will hold the vessel.

You know that sailing US isn’t an option for the vast majority of us, right?

Also he probably could have had the vessel arrested but things get complicated when you’re dealing with these guys.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

hosed up.

Snipers only is the worst format of any fps

Slappers only, Living Daylight or gently caress off.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Once again, England is safe. Good work, Bond.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

To: person who I just talked to
Subject: confirming X

Just confirming we just spoke about Y and you want me to do X, despite/in addition/instead of Z. If you have anything to add or correct, put it in a reply to this email.

Regards

*phone rings*

"Hey the eyes have it, about your email, what I actually meant was XYZ"

(This can repeat for a few days)

Alternatively:

Subject: RE: confirming x

just so everyone's aware there might be other factors at play... we'll have to see how it plays out...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

See also “grocery stores and restaurants can’t give away the food they’re throwing away because a homeless person might sue if they get sick.”

This has never happened, and grocery stores love to sell discounted stuff that’s about to expire, that doesn’t seem to scare them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've went into detail here and there all the poo poo I've been through, and what I go through with injuries and whatnot-

If you told me that everyone in America could have what I do now- a decent quality of life, stable sources of food/shelter, and loving healthcare- I would do it 2 or 3 times over again, because it's what our citizens deserve.

These people think that everyone lives at at least a middle class level, and anyone who doesn’t is just lazy.

It’s a mindset completely disconnected from reality.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Just a reminder because this is a tinder-dry topic around here, this isn’t the gun control thread.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Well, soon enough there's won't be any trucks for drivers to drive. Gotta automate everything.

Why spend on automation when you can offload the capital and maintenance cost to an owner operator and pay them by the mile?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah the Tesla’s rear door safety had been a point of discussions for year, the Texas crash was less of a surprise and more of a “hey it took that long”.

The NTSB’s preliminary report on that crash is out by the way, and their conclusion that autopilot wasn’t engaged is that they tried engaging it on that stretch of road a week later and it wouldn’t engage. I’m going to withhold comments on that investigative technique.

The Bolt also has a 12v battery, but it’s accessed the same way as any other car.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

TL; DR- someone’s love for big tittays allowed for the compromise of critical infrastructure and led to fuel shortages across the mid-Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/LikeAndBlock/status/1392640160655945729

The infrastructure wasn’t actually compromised, the billing system for the infrastructure was so they shut it all down instead of risking someone getting away with fuel they hadn’t properly paid for.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you don’t support the British monarchy you’re spitting on everything the founding fathers have done.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Begun, the water wars have.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What the gently caress?

(Assume this post was posted in response to everything posted in the last page and a half)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Remember Tulsi Gabbard?

She doing fine.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Conservatism and child rape go hand in hand, sometimes literally.

I’ve been listening to The Lolita Podcast while I work in the backyard, and let me tell you, western media has a history with young girls.

It’s not great :barf:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The first one reads like it was dictated by Belarus security while holding the aircrew hostage.

Nah it’s a canned statement, airlines have one of those ready to go for pretty much any eventuality.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Except, apparently, "our aircraft was hijacked by a nation's military forces."

There’s always something that slips through, a place I used to work at needed two days to workshop a statement for “the plane’s engine caught fire” because they’d never planned for that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Torrannor posted:

There are other possible interpretations of this move. Biden is having the Department of Education review whether he has the authority to forgive student loan debt via executive action. A result is expected soon-ish, and if he got advance notice that he likely does have that authority, it would make sense to exclude the debt forgiveness from the budget.

Oh my sweet summer child.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That Works posted:

Nah she's tweeting through it rn on her wall.

It’s some impressive corncobbing

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Please stop calling each others fascist and Russian ops, or I will have to stand up the GIP Uncool Activity Committee (GUAC)

Also the committee is my probe button.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Posts that belong in the news thread:

-Actual news
-Discussions of news. "Well I think this could have been averted if the engineer had not overgreased the bearing like a monkey who only knows one trick."
-Debate about news. "I disagree, over-lubbing a shaft bearing is a valid approach if one considers the Engin R DUMB theorem"

Things that don't belong in the news thread:

-Discussing other posters. "Stop licking the engineer's boot you dumb piece of poo poo."
-Ad hominem attack. "I bet you got your engineering license in a trashcan, where you belong, you engineer piece of poo poo."
-Attacks against merchant marine engineers. They already have it hard enough, the poor ginger bears.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Did you know that engineers are overrepresented in jihadist groups by a significant factor when compared to other militant groups and society at large? Brings to mind some interesting questions- not saying that FrozenVent could have been the 21st hijacker on 9/11, but it is curious that he’s never confirmed his whereabouts on that day, especially whether he may have missed a flight.

Interesting indeed.

It is well known that I was playing Jane’s 688(i) when the second plane hit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

And on non-sportsball: Waco was before my time but uh, this seems like how you get a Waco

https://twitter.com/misstessowen/status/1397951169406849025?s=19

Hey America, if you’re wondering why the rest of the world aren’t fans, see above.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ships run aground in the canal all the time. They had two tankers go up in the days after the Ever Given was freed.

It’s gonna be fine. Canal only gets blocked once every ten years or so.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ah yes, the Shoa diet.

What. The. loving. gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969458&perpage=40&noseen=1#post515160055

In which infrastructure week is continued.