Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Alex Reyes also has a totally sustainable 7.5 BB/9 with a 0.00 ERA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

Reyes rules, how the gently caress do you throw a 105MPH sinker? I don't know but it's cool as hell.

I believe you are thinking of Hicks, but Reyes also does rule and I'm glad to finally see him in some sort of role with the team after all of his injuries and setbacks.

Also Hicks might be injured again and it makes me sad please no :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Update from my earlier comment:

https://twitter.com/zachsilver/status/1389681234759008260

Noooooooooo :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Imagine even predicting the Braves as a team would already have three grand slams at this point in the season.

15 teams have zero.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
drat I am jealous of that hat.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

RCarr posted:

You already have to show your vax card (or negative test from the last 72 hours) to get in, so you will definitely have to show your card for that.

Wait, where do you have to do this? I haven't heard any stadiums requiring this yet.

Also a negative test from 72 hours ago and a vax card are two so very, very different things.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Tigers have four players with over 50 PA's each with a 33 OPS+ or less. Two of those are coming from the DH and the 1B spot. Wooooof.

Miggy still has two years left :catstare:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

It kinda feels like we've crossed the metaphorical event horizon of pitching just being way, way, WAY more dominant than hitting. We've had what, three loving no-hitters already just a month into the season? Four if you count Bumgarner's 7 inning CG no hitter. Hitters are getting flexed on so hard I'm actually starting to come around on moving back or lowering the mound.

But then there are like seven guys hitting .350 plus as well.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
holy poo poo pujols :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bewbies posted:

he'll get another MLB job if he wants, right?

Someone is absolutely taking a flyer on Pujols if he wants it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Does MLB do one day contracts?

A guy like Pujols would deserve a one day contract with the Cardinals at a home game in St Louis. Put him in the lineup one last time and give him a grand exit.

This would be loving insane.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

Altuve only won because he's short.

lmao

They were both great seasons.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1391927547529768967?s=20

Even after all of the nonsense with the now ex-team president, they still messed with his service time

I feel like it was even easier to do this season with the minors being pushed to just starting to play games now.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

Corbin Burns sets the new all time record for number of strikeouts before walking a single batter to start the season, and then because of course, pretty much immediately gives up his first walk of the season lol

Immediately?! He struck out like 6 more dudes.

He has the record for most strikeouts between walks in a season ever. Unfortunately for him, Cole has an active streak going of like 56 or something.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Very good tweet but don't read the replies jesus christ

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If Ohtani keeps this up he should smash some sort of WAR record right? He's giving so much drat value to that team it's incredible. And the Angels are 18-22. Unreal.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

they should let Ohtani play LF instead of DH so his WAR is better imo

I totally forgot he doesn't play the field really at all. I'm dumb. He does lose a lot of value that way unfortunately :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
TLR is going to win the world series again

Also lmao it was a 3-0 count against WILLIANS ASTUDILLO on a 45mph junk ball with 2 outs in the top of the 9th winning 15-4.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 18, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://www.mlb.com/video/mercedes-homers-off-astudillo

:lol:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Lynn and LaRussa talking points are hilarious to me because Lynn won a ring with LaRussa in 2011 and now he has him as his manager again 10 years later at a very different point in his career and so far having an amazing season with a pretty good team.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Chamale posted:

Baseball is entertainment. People who go to baseball games could choose to spend their money on bowling alleys

I'm actually very into bowling so this made me laugh (it's very much dying).

I actually wouldn't mind banning the shift :shrug:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

elentar posted:

this is not difficult.

ties after the 12th inning except in playoff/playin scenarios, when it will go as long as it has to.

Yeaaaap this is it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/ryanfagan/status/1397655818271657990

Joe West loving sucks so much.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Traxis posted:

Don't they only check if the opposing team complains? This is 100% TLR being a baby

Joe West could have just said "it's fine." But decided to go through with it and then eject Shildt.

ALSO what Sydin said.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I didn't even realize there were 2 outs. That might literally be the worst play I've ever seen.

This. Lmaoooo.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

It's not a surprise to anyone that they are above their pythag because they basically gave up 0 runs for 2 weeks and won a bunch of games and they have Cole having a hall of fame level year. Other than that they have at least 5 truly terrible hitters in the lineup every night, most of the time 6 or 7. They are nowhere near as good as their record and that is blatantly obvious if you watch them.

Sure the hitting is literally league average. But they have the best team ERA, WHIP, and K9 in the AL lmao.

And they have had eight team shutouts!!

League average hitting with injuries (and a when healthy lineup that *should* mash) and elite pitching seems like a pretty good team.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

Maybe the Yankees posting is as simple as this? Historically the Yankees have been carried by a good offense first, so when they are carried by their pitching Yankee fans freak out and act like the sky is falling?

The levels are totally unsustainable though, we have never seen teams with elite pitching staffs and league average offense. They are doomed. Contract them to AAA immediately.