Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Monday May 3rd is going to be Ohtani vs Glasnow. Should be a good matchup.

This Angels lineup is tough, they've got 4 guys that just mash and then the rest of the lineup rocking .500 OPSs. I still want to see Walsh back at 1b and anyone else at right field to put Pujols on the bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

alpha_destroy posted:

Love how quickly both batter and catcher are to call time juxtaposed against the pitcher not moving to step off.

With how lovely the umpires have been this season they probably would have called Reyes for a balk.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

R.D. Mangles posted:

someone talking about dropped third strikes?

Spoeank gets prob'd for his post but this poo poo is allowed???

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Pujols decline came on so quick and so sharply. Just way beyond your normal age curves. People talk about "old man skills" of still being able to have an elite walk rate and good eye for the strike zone and still being able to mash some dingers even if they can't leg out ground balls any more. You look at other age 35+ allstar and HOF types like Thome or Martinez and they had typical declines. You look at Pujols in 2010 and would not at all have been surprised for him to have a David Ortiz or Nelson Cruz type career over the following decade. Him being below replacement level for the last 6 years of the deal is insane. Even if you add 3 to his age his decline is still shocking.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

You can’t erase the pain Clayton Kershaw felt after Game 5 nor the anger and sadness I felt on his behalf, but you can throw us a fuckin bone by stripping the title instead of fining a billionaire 0.35% of his net worth and telling me justice has been served.
Perhaps the frequency with which the NCAA does this is part of why no one cares. MLB has never done it so I’m confident it would have been received as more significant. But I also think the reason behind NCAA punishment is why people don’t care: typically these are recruiting violations which basically no fans give a poo poo about.

Yeah I'd say the NCAA recruiting violation thing is a level of "cheating" that no one gives a poo poo about. Reggie Bush is still one of the greatest college RBs of all time and its still bullshit that USC was banned from bowl games, I don't know how much fans give a poo poo about the stripping of titles thing.

The level of the Astros cheating was relatively unprecedented and yet the punishment was relatively nonexistent.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1391139254630162434?s=19

I know he's a seasoned veteran but holy poo poo it can't be easy to fly to a game you're starting with nothing but your glove, catching someone you've never met. At least he had played for the Angels at one point but that was 6 years ago.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kirios posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a catcher as bad at framing as Kurt Suzuki is. There were so many borderline pitches in the Astros series where he could have easily given the pitcher a strike, but he would consistently move the ball away from the center of the zone.

It is unbelievable how bad he is and how many pitches on the black he takes away with stabbing motions and sweeping the ball out of the zone. He also can't hit worth a poo poo.

Baseball Savant has him 53rd of 58 in pitch framing extra runs and 49th of 58 in strike rate, so somehow there are catchers even worse than him. Two of them are the Orioles catchers. Stassi is above average in both metrics but he has been on the IL twice already this season.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Is there a WAR or run value stat for pitchers based on xwOBA against (launch angle, exit velocity) plus strikeouts based on innings pitched?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Over a large enough sample size ERA is the best predictor of ERA therefore you are all arguing over the granularity of small sample sizes.

See y'all in 2022 other than watching highlight reels of Ohtani dingers.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
The reason the position player is in there is the game in the first place is because of strategy. The losing team is trying to salvage arms to give themselves a better chance of beating you tomorrow. If you're playing smart baseball you have two options: you either put in a position player of your own but now neither team cares about this game whose outcome is all but decided, or you punish the team for putting in a position player by hitting the hell out of the ball and force them to put in a real pitcher. If you're playing bad, stupid baseball you just roll over and let them save all their bullpen arms for the next day so they can beat you then.

Option 1 is disrespectful to the game of baseball and more importantly to the fans that paid good money to see two teams play to the best of their ability, not junk ball the last 3 innings. Option 2 gives your team the best opportunity to win tonight and win tomorrow night. Option 3 gives you a chance to win tonight and for your opponent to win tomorrow night.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Yeah its not like the World Baseball Classic where you get actual MLB talent and some play in it in lieu of spring training.

Still thinking about David Wright carrying team USA so hard he hurt his back and ruined his career.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I like that the Angels have just 714 even though 657 is also Orange County and then the Dodgers have 9 area codes listed, they should have added in the 909 for good measure. Other than the area codes and the year on the state outline they're the same hat.

These truely are the ugliest hats I've ever seen. It reads like an intern looked up a wikipedia page and got some clip art to paste on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
The other funny thing is that the force out at 1B was still available had someone been covering. It still wasn't a tag play at 1B that warranted Baez sliding in like that. The catcher has the ball and is ready to throw with Baez only 15ft from home plate but no one is at 1st to receive the throw.