Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy Kyle Hendricks behind him looking like he's about to crack skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I kinda liked Amir Garret and thought the Cubs beef with him previously was over mostly dumb stuff. But I only just now saw their dust up yesterday when he was taunting Rizzo and he sure seems like an rear end in a top hat.

Like I don't care if you celebrate a strikeout but he approaches Rizzo before the AB and was shouting at him the entire time and then called him a fucker after he struck him out. That's a little more than a celebration and is just being a straight up dick. Like you can even tell the his teammates don't really wanna defend him cause he is just sort of embarrassing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

a major league baseball player should be able to handle having another player yell at him that he is a motherfucker even if that is rude without anyone trying to physically fight him, is my opinion.

This is true but I also don't think anyone was seriously about to get into a fight on either side. The whole thing was stupid but it all seemed to stem out of nowhere from Garrett trying to pysch himself up to strikeout Rizzo in a game the Reds were losing and it wasn't even to end the inning, just a really bizarre thing to do for a professional player.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Baez handled the situation gracefully.

I'm just glad the Cubs didn't intentionally plunk anyone as a result and understood that it was just Garrett being an idiot. That's probably the biggest issue I have with Garrett acting like a tool, you are putting your teammates in danger of getting plunked because you want to act like a jackass knowing you'll never have to deal with any consequences.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We could have had such a cool future and instead we got the timeline that brought us Dogecoin and Elon Musk.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol Chili Davis getting thrown under the bus again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

at least "side tightness" is much less awful-sounding than anything arm-related

Cue Mets medical staff clarifying this as "side of arm tightness"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has there been an update on Kershaw, was he in pain or something? Even after giving up 4 runs kinda odd to pull him after the 1st on a day when you have a double header.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh, that's more than I expected.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I was going to have mine laminated but apparently that’s frowned upon, so it sits in the same drawer as the dogs’ vaccination records.

Sir I'm glad you got your distemper shots but I cannot let you into the stadium.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

It kinda feels like we've crossed the metaphorical event horizon of pitching just being way, way, WAY more dominant than hitting. We've had what, three loving no-hitters already just a month into the season? Four if you count Bumgarner's 7 inning CG no hitter. Hitters are getting flexed on so hard I'm actually starting to come around on moving back or lowering the mound.

I think this was the impetus behind the juiced ball. MLB sees how dominate pitching has become and figured they would give hitters an edge without making any obvious major changes to the game. What resulted was a mess where the only way to win was hit more homeruns than the other team hitting singles and not striking out be damned.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Getting dumped in your final year after a hall of fame career, ouch. No fair well tour or anything just gone from the org on a random Thursday afternoon.

Hopefully he gets some kind of send off on a novelty contract.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's TLR's guy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Radiocarbon date Pujols. Either that or slice him open and count the rings.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dodgers fans better do their duty when Astros come to town this year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Altuve had an outside shot but last year and his start this year have not been great. Still too early to say if he's really been effected by fans turning on him, he was a pretty universally popular player before the cheating scandal came out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I think its definitely taken the shine off of him. He obviously won't be getting serenaded with "gently caress Your Birthday" everywhere he goes but those underdog narratives just don't work anymore and there's always gonna be someone in the crowd calling him a cheater.

My thing with Altuve is that he seems to get a disproportionate amount of the hate. I feel like part of that is because he's a small underdog kinda player who it turns out was cheating. It doesn't appear that Altuve was cheating anymore than the other guys but the vitriol back at him has been almost worse than Correa who I feel like has been the most confrontational and doesn't feel any need to apologize. Some of it feels like people taking it out on a guy who they feel never should have been as good as he was and I'm not sure that's fair.

Like don't get me wrong, Altuve cheated and he should be boo'd but I'm not sure he's said anything as dumb as Correa/Bregman.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Yankee fans also, rightly, hated Altuve even before he was exposed as a cheater because he won the MVP over Judge purely because he was a cute story when Judge was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better that year.

Case in point.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I think people need to be able to have confidence that once a game is over, the result is set in stone and not open to litigation at any point in the future. I think that a precedent suggesting otherwise would undermine the game far more than any concerns about cheating.

What?

So if you win no matter how you did it, it is now sacrosanct because it's over and nothing can be done about it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Absolutely, yes. I feel the same about Penn State's wins under Joe Paterno, the various Tour de France and Olympic winners who've been stripped, etc.

So then why shouldn't every team cheat all the time so long as you don't get caught before winning?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Grimm's 2015-2016 numbers are mostly a mirage because they don't tell the story of how many times he'd get run out in a dirty inning and immediately give up all of his inherited runs.

But Kimbrel wasn't on the team in 2015-16???

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh crap we need a photo for the press release. Uhhh here, stand in front of this wall and put a helmet on.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i thought beth mowins was much better than Boog on the Cubs broadcast today.

Yeah definitely, wishing she would have gotten the job.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Home run owns, running around the ump at 1st owns, "boom" stomping home plate owns. Preston's comments mostly own except the part where he seems to advocate for snitching.

I don't think it's advocating for snitching so much as saying it's a double standard to say nothing about steroids and legitimate cheating that has a real effect on the integrity of the game and then get upset when a kid is jacked up after hitting a bomb.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Cubs still haven't played the Cardinals but we've played the Pirates ~6000 times already. This years schedule is weird.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Edit: not gdt

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's the Astros so the catch is they are moving minor league players into orphanages and kicking the kids out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That owns so much.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Yankees are a mediocre to good team so far this year. I only wish they had an actual truly bad team for an entire season, I'm talking a 66-96 team just so we could see Yankees fans reactions.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I actually have had a more nuanced take than that. Their pitching, despite Taillon being pretty poo poo, has been better than even I expected and Cole and Chapman have been the best starter and RP in the AL but their hitting has been utter garbo. They had Stanton hitting a homer every other time up for like 2 weeks and they are STILL 24th in the majors in runs scored... their hitting has been objectively terrible. The idea that my saying that their hitting has been terrible when it literally has been is so triggering to people is funny.

They're 17th in OPS overall and 12th in wRC+ overall. They are offensively the definition of mediocre this year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
mcmagic I could never be upset with you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Offense is down across the board this year, that's been a trend for awhile now as pitching is just so dominate.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No one said the Yankees offense is great but it is not horrible trash compared to the rest of the league.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Swoletani

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm upset the Cubs didn't pick up Pujols just to troll Cardinals fans.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Imagine hitting a baseball so hard you make the opposing pitcher cry. Amazing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jon Lester would be the Cubs starter ERA leader by a full 1.85 ERA. He's pitching a 176 ERA+ for Washington :negative:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Casnorf posted:

Define for me, please, with all specificity, the difference between "breaking up a play" and "dangerous collision."

I dunno it seems odd to pearl-clutch when Machado does it when some other guy named Utley barely took any flack for it at all.

Uh what? Utley got a lot of poo poo for it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Machado has done enough blatantly rear end in a top hat things you probably don't need to give him the benefit of the doubt. Whether it was intentional or not he should have been called out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It was a legal play in baseball for a long time, it's no longer legal that's why it's being talked about. I don't doubt Machado and other players grew up encouraged to slide into the 2b to break up a double play, but by the rules as they are today it's illegal.