Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
https://twitter.com/DALLASBRADEN209/status/1389349534610849795

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Good Dog posted:

With how lovely the umpires have been this season they probably would have called Reyes for a balk.

Have the umpires actually been quantifiably "worse" this season or is it just a factor of an explosion of MLB-unaffiliated independent media that profiles every bad/controversial thing they do across the league for everybody? I'm asking as someone who wasn't a fan in 2019, but all the frothing anti-umpire vitriol I read online (not here) makes me a bit wary, especially because people always jump to fantasizing about busting their union.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

This sort of gets into a greater philosophical discussion of what sports are "for", whether they're more singularly about this ideal of fair competition, sportsmanship, and excellence, or if they're about a greater range of human expression. If sports are about the latter, potentially an "accurate" recording of how people handled events in the moment is more preferable some of the time. If that just sounds like wank, I apologize.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

That sounds like a neat storyline, yeah!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Another newbie question: when I'm watching games, during mound visits and the like, the announcers often speak as if they know rather specifically what the players are talking about, do they get access to a mic feed or something? Or are they just guessing confidently based on experience?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

everlasting tears from Bob Brenly that resulted from it:

has he considered that schilling simply should've pitched better?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

blossommirage posted:

His breakdowns can be fun, but some of his content outside of that is super hit or miss.

it's this! i liked the series he did last year with no baseball where he watched big moments from all the world series since 1972

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

Mike Bolsinger is suing the Astros for literally stealing his signs

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1392991217449795587

Lmfao, what lawyer signed onto this?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It's like...cute? But I can't see trying to expand trade secrets/IP law, as farcical as this attempt may be, as good or righteous. (I've spent enough time reading about music copyright law to know that even the most ridiculous claims can hold weight in the right circumstances)

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

are the dodgers going to sign tanner roark too????

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

i'm for universal DH if eventually we get to a place where it on occasion replaces positions other than pitcher so mathis can grace teh league forever

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Does anyone think the effect of the deadened ball is undesirable enough that MLB would change it during the all-star break or smth?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Yeah, the issue is not that home runs aren’t aesthetically pleasing, the issue is a lack of balls in play is boring.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

this is not a rhetorical question, i am genuinely curious if anyone in here actually likes the ghostrunner?

I think it's fun but I understand why people despise it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Was there a Jays one? I didn't get to see it and I couldn't find it.