Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Julio Cruz posted:

at least "side tightness" is much less awful-sounding than anything arm-related

He's getting an MRI apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

i've never heard of this happening before and that's the second time that's happened this season already (brewers did it against the cubs).

Possibly a brainfart from seeing 25 names on the lineup card and not remembering you've got 26 players on the MLB roster these days? Yeesh.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Over in NHL land, Tom Wilson suplexed a dude face first into the ice and only got a 5K fine

Yeah, but it's not like he's ever been suspended for 20 games for blindsiding Oskar Sundqvist's head during a pre-season game. I guess these days that'd only get him fined 5k.

Also, didn't Wilson only get the fine for punching Buchnevich and not actually get anything for suplexing Panarin? To bring this back to baseball, I guess he's got that child-groomer Roger Clemens mojo of being able to throw a bat at someone he beaned and not get in any real trouble for it.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 5, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

On May 27 I'm going to my first baseball game since, I think, June of 2019. I am very hype.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was looking at team offensive stats, and the Tigers are more than 50 points in OPS below the next team above them which is very impressively bad.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Also, imagine how bad you have to be hitting to have negative WAR when the average AL hitter is slashing .233/.307/.393

(The Tigers are slashing .199/.260/.341, that'd have been third worst in the infamous "Year of the Pitcher" that got the mound lowered half a foot and the strike zone changed)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 5, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The dropped third strike is an impressively dumb rule

I, personally, like it.

elentar posted:

so this Means kid is maybe the real deal, huh

looking forward to how the Orioles gently caress this one up (not even caring about the team just a connoisseur of fuckups)

He's already 28, so he's not that young. But a few excellent years would be cool.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

23 years ago today. The single most dominant pitching performance in MLB history. Fight me.

https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1390310050535772164?s=19

Scherzer's 17K, 0H, 0BB game in 2015 vs the Mets is in the argument. No hits, no HBP, three fewer strikeouts. Two balls hit by the Mets made it to the OF, same as the Astros.

OTOH the 1998 Astros hit better than the 2015 Mets, and the Mets didn't have their best lineup out there since it was the second game of a double header and they were resting for the playoffs.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 6, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But then there are like seven guys hitting .350 plus as well.

That's pretty common a month and a bit into the season. Just look at the average hitter, they're batting like .235/.310/.390. That's 1960s poo poo.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Pujols has hit so poorly in his last few years his career average dropped below .300. He hasn't had an OPS over .800 since 2012. He's been cooked for awhile.

He was at 101.4 bWAR after 2016. He slipped down to 99.4 since. It sucks how much my memory of him will be of him being terrible for the Angels.

e: I fully expect the Cardinals to sign him so that he can retire in their uniform a la Ichiro with the Mariners.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 6, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

loving owns.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

There is only one enduring image I associate with Albert Pujols

Still the most amazing thing I've witnessed live.

That ball still hasn't de-orbited.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I still can't watch highlights of games 6 and 7 in the 1991 World Series. I also try not to mention 1992 to Pirates fans because I understand.

My dad cost the Mets the 1988 pennant. When the Mets were up 4-2 in the top of the 9th in game 4, he demanded his full 9 innings. Despite my then 6 year old protestations.

How do I know that him demanding the Mets blow a lead so they had to bat in the top of the 9th? Because earlier that season my parents took me to Shea Stadium, and he did the exact same thing. And the Mets lost. All because he wanted his full goddamned nine innings.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Yankee fans also, rightly, hated Altuve even before he was exposed as a cheater because he won the MVP over Judge purely because he was a cute story when Judge was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better that year.

LOL, gently caress outta here with this. Altuve was within half a WAR of Judge. Both were perfectly legit MVP choices. This ain't Giambi winning MVP over Pedro in 2000.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

0.7 not half a run. Altuve only won because he's short. It was pathetic.

bWAR is not fWAR, but even then a difference of less than 1 WAR in a full season is not fuckin' dispositive. Classic Yankee fan.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Perfect game for 10 innings and then lose 1-0 due to a sac bunt and a sac fly.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

N:

V:
Sacks tagged by third sacker.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hmm, the b-ref playoff odds do not believe in the Mets.

Chance to win division or wild card:
Fangraphs - 85.2% (avg outcome is 91 wins)
PECOTA - 84.4% (avg outcome is 92 wins)
538 - 56% (avg outcome is 87 wins)
B-Ref - 27.6% (avg outcome is 81 wins)

Meanwhile, b-ref believes in the Giants and the rest don't.

Chance to win division or wild card:
B-Ref - 56.2% (avg outcome is 86 wins)
Fangraphs - 19.6% (avg outcome is 81 wins)
538 - 21% (avg outcome is 80 wins)
PECOTA - 5.1% (avg outcome is 78 wins)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

One of these years the Yankees will actually finish under .500 and mcmagic will literally die of apoplexy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Patrick Mazeika now has two walk off game winning RBI in his first four MLB plate appearances.

He has not gotten his first MLB hit.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

Errors or walk-off walks or something else?

Fielder's Choices. He's also got an RBI on a bases loaded walk, so 3 RBI, 0 hits.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Popete posted:

The Yankees are a mediocre to good team so far this year. I only wish they had an actual truly bad team for an entire season, I'm talking a 66-96 team just so we could see Yankees fans reactions.

God, yes. What we're seeing is born of never having a bad team. Two 90 loss seasons in a row and Yankees fans would... well, half of them are frontrunners so they'd stop caring about the Yankees, but the other half would post some wild stuff.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

You literally should never have a bad team if you're spending 200 million a year.

Should ain't got anything to do with it, son.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wow he's strong.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Intruder posted:

That looks like a shallow flyout to left kind of swing lol

And on a 79 mph pitch so not a lot of help getting exit velocity from the pitch

TBF, that wouldn't have made the warning track at most stadiums.

Still, country strong.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Every active marine gets a 64 pack of Crayola's finest.

Don't those come in the holiday MREs anyways?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I think Abreu is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing here. That ball went a mile in the air and the wind constantly blows out in that stadium, plus he's the nearest infielder. The dude running with his head down like he's a fullback is definitely in the wrong.

Insofar as anyone is "wrong." I don't think there was much if any fault to be assigned here. It's just a crappy accident. If Abreu had been playing off the bag, his line to the ball wouldn't have taken him down the basepath and thus not collided with Dozier. If Dozier hadn't put his head down to jog up to first base after he knew he popped out, he would have seen and been able to avoid (or at least slow down before hitting) Abreu. But Dozier isn't negligent just because he did what a ton of players do after they pop out, just like Abreu isn't negligent for doing what a lot of infielders do in chasing after a popup by keeping his eye solely on the ball.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Popete posted:

Imagine hitting a baseball so hard you make the opposing pitcher cry. Amazing.

Not that hard, plenty of little leaguers did that to me back when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to use my snot for a spitball, either!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Casnorf posted:

Define for me, please, with all specificity, the difference between "breaking up a play" and "dangerous collision."

I dunno it seems odd to pearl-clutch when Machado does it when some other guy named Utley barely took any flack for it at all.

As Poque said, Utley absolutely took flack for it. Definitely at the end of his career after one very high profile dirty play, but he was considered a menace well before he ruined Ruben Tejada's career. Hell, he got called out for doing the exact same thing to Tejada in 2010!

Machado already has a rep for trying to hurt other players. If he didn't, he probably gets the benefit of the doubt here.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

RCarr posted:

So you think his intention was to injure the 2nd baseman? Come on.

He's tried to injure other players before, and succeeded. I don't know that he was trying to do that this time, but I don't think it's a wild take all things considered.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Why's everyone using FIP when xFIP is right there?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

bawfuls posted:

because HR/FB%, while it can take some time to stabilize, is absolutely not random and some pitchers are clearly better at suppressing dingers than others

I thought xFIP was more predictive of future outcomes than straight FIP? Has that changed or was I just wrong?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

N:
https://www.mlb.com/video/jonathan-villar-pops-out-to-shortstop-dansby-swanson-bqywse
V:
Goddamnit, Swanson.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hey, anyone here a Reds fan and/or a regular attendee of GAB? I'm gonna be in Cincinnati in July and will 100% be going to a Mets/Reds game and wanted to ask where I should buy tickets. Price isn't much of an issue, at Citifield and Fenway I usually buy tickets that are somewhere in the $50-$110 range.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

wrong thread.

e: that is, I posted in the wrong thread.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chief McHeath posted:

GABP is an awesome ballpark. If you want to avoid being bombarded by the sun, go for behind the plate, or the first base/right field side. If you're in the upper levels you'll have a cool view of the Ohio River and the hills in Kentucky. Eat Skyline Chili and Penn Station subs.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think the evidence backs up the conclusion that the increasing number of strikeouts has finally broken the game, with an assist from the massive spike in home runs starting in 2016.

MLB needs to figure out how to reduce the number of Ks by about 1/3rd and number of dingers by about 20%.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Does anyone think the effect of the deadened ball is undesirable enough that MLB would change it during the all-star break or smth?

Dingers are still high compared to the 20 year average, at the same level as 1999/2000. But the problem is more strikeouts. Lower/move back the mound and use a goddamned pitch clock. Because the pitch clock would not only solve the strikeout issue somewhat, but also 75% solve the pace of play issue.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Remind me how a pitch clock solves batters calling time between each pitch to fiddle with their gear?

Don't grant them time. If the pitch comes and they've got one foot out of the box while loving around with their gloves, too bad. But they'll step out less when the pitcher isn't staring in at the plate for ten seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Also, since 2015 there's been pitch clocks in AA and AAA, so a whole bunch of players today actually are/were used to them already.