Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
lol at the arbitrary age cutoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

oof da

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

a runner able to take 1st base after embarrassing himself after swinging at literally nothing is so dumb

As a huge fan of knuckleballers, I strongly concur

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Yeah, plantar fasciitis is a degenerative disease: It does not get better over time, it gets worse, especially as you continue to put stress on the plantar fascia. I mean, that's the same condition that ultimately derailed Donovan McNabb and put a premature end to his career.

For an embarrassingly long time I thought plantar fasciitis was the same thing as plantar warts. Except I always spelled and pronounced it "planter's warts" in my head.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Home run owns, running around the ump at 1st owns, "boom" stomping home plate owns. Preston's comments mostly own except the part where he seems to advocate for snitching.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The All-Garrett battery getting it done

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Armed Forces Day tomorrow.

lol what the gently caress is that?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I wanted to confirm a rule. If a fly ball caroms off an outfielder's glove but another outfielder catches it, a runner can tag up as soon as it hits the first glove, correct?

This happened at my softball game tonight and I argued this point emphatically enough to get the ump to overturn the out call and I wanted to make sure I was right.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

I would think that that comes down to whether it was called a fly out or an error. If the first fielder had it but booted it than the hitter should be safe at first, no? In which case the runner doesn't need to tag up. If the hitter is out and a tag up is necessary than I would think its the second fielder's out so you run after that out is recorded.

But that's just what makes sense to me. I don't know what the rules are.

It was a fly out, the ball never hit the ground.

The thing is, if your second presumtion is correct, outfielders could bounce the ball between each other (or by themselves) without catching it while walking the ball into the infield to prevent tagging up. The only way this is rectified is if tagging up is legal once the first contact is made.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

This is what I assumed (and successfully argued). Thanks all.

The other softball team was maaaaaaaad

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

RCarr posted:

Speaking of softball, last night we had a force play at home where the catcher bobbled the ball, grabbed the ball with his bare hand, and tagged the base with his glove. Then the runner touched the base a second or two later. The umpire called him safe because he said you can’t have the ball in one hand and touch the base with the other hand.

Obviously this is wrong, and a loving terrible call. Then, during the ensuing argument, the umpire ended up suspending two of our players for the season, and another one for the next two games. Then when the catcher told the commissioner (who was playing on the other team) that he needs to have some accountability, the commissioner started cursing him out, charged into our dugout, and had to be forcefully restrained, before banning our catcher from the league permanently for saying that one comment.

Nothing like a relaxing game of slow pitch softball!

lol this owns. The ruling is so obviously wrong considering we do force plays touching the bag with our feet all the time.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
As long as we're chatting softball, I took the responsibility for tabulating the scorecards and setting up excel computations for the team:

We're 4-2

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

Why would we call him a ghost runner? He's right there, we can all see him, other players can touch him.

Ghost runners are pretend-runners you use as a child when you don't have enough corporeal players to keep hitting. They don't exist, they are assumed to advance a base or not depending on the hitter's results.

He's obviously a zombie runner, unnaturally raised from the dead to run anew.

Zombies are slow and mindless. Can we settle on a Wight?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

Another good card is the recent Topps Kluber no-hitter card, the stats aren't super high so he actually kinda sucks vs the AI but vs people his slurve seems to be unhittable.

Sort of related, this awesome article: https://www.sbnation.com/secret-base/22272677/secret-base-hall-of-fame-casey-fossum

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Also is that just the world's shittiest shoe-shine station or something? This lounge is awful.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The Red Sox keep winning somehow. Their Frankenstein pitching staff is looking solid

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The bottom fell out of the baseball.csrd market years ago.

I found a box full of Topps/Fleer from the late 70s thru early 90s but after checking a couple dozen I thought had potential I gave up sorting and checking. They pretty much had to be graded 9+ to be worth anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there like, a book of anecdotes for the Negro Leagues? I know the fantastic Josh Gibson one where he hit a homer on Tuesday they lost track of and then the next day someone caught a ball while he was still at the plate and he was declared out

This isn't what you asked but Loose Balls is essentially this except about the ABA. When done properly, that oral history / anecdotal storytelling can be very engaging.