Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Mets have given up 5 runs over the last three games and lost them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Have the umpires actually been quantifiably "worse" this season or is it just a factor of an explosion of MLB-unaffiliated independent media that profiles every bad/controversial thing they do across the league for everybody? I'm asking as someone who wasn't a fan in 2019, but all the frothing anti-umpire vitriol I read online (not here) makes me a bit wary, especially because people always jump to fantasizing about busting their union.

there's always the usual complaining about strike zones etc, but the two extremely visible and utterly inexplicable obstruction calls made in the past week or so have gotten a lot of negative attention

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

N: deGrom scratched
V: RIP

at least "side tightness" is much less awful-sounding than anything arm-related

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
like I understand you've got to get Lindor going somehow, anyhow

but, uh, batting him leadoff? really?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phone posting, but Angel Hernandez said he got the catch call call wrong because "he was blinded by the outfield scoreboard" and he was "basically guessing"

See Angel, this is why you don't work World Series games you hack

uh if you're basically guessing don't you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the offense? like when the runner is safe in the event of a tie at first

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
he used to be a Cub I believe

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
calling it now: deGrom is going to no-hit the DBacks today

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

2-0 count while on base?!

no it's two balls, one strike

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
time to get his tits lit once again

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how is it 2021 and people are still arguing with mcmagic

I know covid has broken some people's brains but christ

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
luckily we can soon tell if the Rays are an actual good team or not because tonight they're playing the juggernaut known as the New York Mets

seiferguy posted:

Kelenic went 0-4 with a strikeout in his debut.

Bust, useless, send em down, maybe we can get a bullpen arm for em if we sell now

we've got this Edwin Diaz you may be interested in, and he's actually good again now! (maybe)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

It's horrible trash compared to expectations and payroll, which is the more relevant point.

I'm most sad about the fact that Gary Sanchez is just utterly washed. Four years ago I thought this dude was going to be a perennial all star.

how's Top 10 Player in MLB DJ LeMahieu doing?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Lincecum is pretty high up on the list of unathletic nerds who are somehow really good at baseball

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
like yeah Lincecum was actually a really good athlete, that's kind of my point - there aren't any actually unathletic guys in MLB because, you know, professional athletes

which is why lauding Bauer as succeeding despite his "lack of athletic ability" is the same sort of dumbass chud talking point as "look this one black guy owns a load of businesses, therefore racism doesn't exist" - the chuds love to talk about how if you don't succeed it's purely down to you just not working hard enough

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the OPS+s of today's Mets lineup:

Lindor 66
Alonso 126
Smith 79
Pillar 85
Villar 93
Peraza 91
Nido 92
Walker -67
Fargas 0

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
6 parts is just over half the number than Ken Burns used to cover the entire history of baseball up until 2010

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
god forbid you "show up" the *checks notes* backup catcher

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

except this has nothing to do with swinging 3-0 though

if Mercedes hits the homer on a 3-1 pitch then that's still running up the score and showing up the other team and La Russa should still be against it

so why does it matter if he missed a take sign or not? jesus christ at least try to keep your loving dumb story straight

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I bet if he'd taken and the 3-0 was ball four that walked in a run TLR would have criticised him for that also

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Bubba Hubbard is gonna get a million dollar sponsorship deal with Big League Chew if he makes the majors

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Mets' top 6 players by bWAR are all on the IL (deGrom, Nimmo, Walker, McNeil, Alonso, Davis)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that list is half big names from 5 years ago and half the guys people from 5 years ago thought would be big names today

e: 2016 WAR

Bailey -0.5
Gose -0.3 (as an OF)
EJax -0.7
Robertson 1.2
Rzep 1.2
Fed -0.3
Wieters 1.9 (he was an All-Star lmao)
Forsythe 3.5
Frazier 3.4
Jay 1.2
Kemp 0.3

this team was washed up as gently caress 5 years ago

ee: Jon Jay leads the team in 2021 WAR with, uh, 0.1

I guess all the actually good players who wanted to go got told by their teams "gently caress no you're staying here"

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 23, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who was it who ironed his shirt while wearing it? I want to say John Smoltz

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Thor got pulled for "right elbow soreness"

:mets:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
ejecting Shildt was probably bullshit (I haven't seen the video but, y'know, Joe West) but everything else seems like it was handled pretty correctly

if there's an allegation of cheating then collecting evidence seems reasonable (and MLB claims to be trying to cut down on this sort of thing so ignoring it probably isn't a good move) but ejecting a pitcher from a game should require a little bit more proof than the opposing manager saying "hey we think this guy's cheating"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the Mets could put together a pretty good lineup and rotation out of guys currently on the IL

1B Alonso
2B McNeil
SS Guillorme
3B Davis
LF Nimmo
CF Pillar
RF Conforto
I guess Almora or someone can catch

rotation of Syndergaard/Carrasco/Walker/Lugo/Yamamoto

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

I know that people say this a bunch, and it's always bullshit, but I, an office worker could have played that better.

as a disgustingly unfit 35-year-old I don't know that I'd have played it better, since I figure there's a pretty good chance of me dropping the ball on any throw from a big-league infielder

but I'm comfortable saying, seeing as the reasonable worst-case scenario on a dropped throw would have seen the run score and Javy safe as second, I couldn't have played it any worse

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
between that guy and the streaker who hid in the tarp tube we're having a really good week for naked people in ballparks

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mcmagic posted:

There are so many issues with the Yankees but DJLM getting a big contract and becoming basically mediocre when he was one of the best players in the AL the last 2 years is also a thing.

wow who could possibly have seen this coming

Julio Cruz posted:

2020 was the first time DJLM has ever been in the top 10 hitters by bWAR so calling him a "top-10 player" is a loving stretch

if I'm trying to value his next 6 years I'm putting way more emphasis on the 3800 PA of 92 OPS+ than the 800 of 145 OPS+

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

DJ's at 101 OPS+ right now while also playing plus defense at 3 positions that the Yankees desperately need league-average offense and capable defense at on a pretty much daily basis but I definitely agree that his 205 plate appearances in 2021 are proof he's actually bad and the contract is an albatross fire Cashman, sell the team.

you'll notice that nowhere did I say DJ was bad nor that his contract was an albatross (because they're the loving Yankees, they could afford 10 of him)

the point is that he was never going to be able to sustain his 2020 production (in just over 200 PA, huh, how about that) going forward, and that the Yankees paying him (and Yankee fans treating him) like he was suddenly going to become a perennial MVP candidate was a mistake

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

NOBODY noticed that? How??

my guess is it's the foul ball on 1-2

it's not in the zone and Urshela didn't swing, so everybody put it down as a ball despite the fact it hit the bat

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Traxis posted:

The Mets are in first place with a -9 run differential

and also a -9 position player differential

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
or arguing for people to start getting fired, something that always helps a team to improve mid-season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
deGrom currently has an OPS of .950 and an OPS against of .408