Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Can someone that watches the Nuggets explain to me how they haven't seemed to miss a beat after losing multiple rotation guys to injury?

The Nuggets are missing Jamal Murray, Monte Morris, and Will Barton, but they still have enough to be a problem: the MVP front-runner in Jokic, and an ascending star in Michael Porter Jr. seizing Murray's No. 2 option role -- and making a late run for Julius Randle's Most Improved Player throne.

They are 8-1 since Murray's injury, with a chance to overtake the LA Clippers for the No. 3 seed in the West in a massive head-to-head game on Saturday.

There has always been an unpredictability to Jokic's game, but before this season, it was mostly confined to his passing. You never knew where he was going when he surveyed his domain. He imagines passes no one sees -- passes that aren't really available to anyone but him.

But you knew he was usually passing. Not anymore. Jokic has bumped his scoring average by almost 6.5 points. He is the league's most efficient high-volume post-up threat, outranking Joel Embiid by a hair, per Second Spectrum.

The Nuggets will feel Murray's absence more in the postseason; Porter can score like gangbusters, but he's not ready to run a calculated two-man game with Jokic. They are short on shooting around Jokic and Porter right now. In the meantime, Jokic is a deserving MVP favorite.

--Zactch Loughwe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Lamelo helped Miles Bridges emerge as the powerful small ball 4 that this very forum's draft experts claimed he would one day be. Thank you Lamelo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The spurs were still sort of contenders when they were penalized for resting players during primetime games.

The thunder were a rapidly deconstructed team with maybe 1 primetime game all season.

I think that's the real distincition

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It makes me smile a bit that Kevin Durant is still a very good player after his achilles tear. He's not post achilles Kobe or Brandon Jennings. It's nice to see and maybe means that it will be less of a career destroying injury going forward.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I had covid dead early on in 2020 and it was like 2 months of just feeling like poo poo and having no stamina at all. Novel viruses can really gently caress you up, even if you're a healthy person

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You good now, homie?

In terms of covid, fantastic. Otherwise, no comment :lol:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4278031/oshae-brissett
Oshae Brisset has played really well over the last couple weeks

https://www.indycornrows.com/2021/4/20/22394405/pacers-oshae-brissett-agree-to-three-year-deal
It looks like the Pacers agreed, he got a 3 year some sort of deal after two 10 days.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 4, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Trez is very undersized as a center and for whatever reason his athleticism does not translate to defense

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Our dog just died days short of her 13th birthday (on my dad's birthday, in fact). It was sudden and unexpected but not entirely shocking if that makes sense.

Please hug your pets for me, thread.

Sorry pardner. Never easy. I moved across the country after my last dog died, partly to get away from the memories.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Anyone remember when William The Refrigerator Perry joined the GI Joes.

I don't remember, but I do rememeber reading about it on x-entertainment and from that I remember he came with a football on a stick

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DC Murderverse posted:

Hypothetically, if you’re Damian Lillard, what’s your next move? Are you good being Dan Marino racking up dough and numbers in a city that loves you or do you attempt to move somewhere that might be able to get you a ring? Is it even possible to win a ring as a team if you have that contract?

Smile and know that you're going to have half a billion dollar net worth by the time you retire

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Someday we'll have the next level Onuaku, who's transcended granny shot into automatic rim bounce to teammate rebound

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's too bad that Michael Gallup didn't play basketball , or you could make a good Smog "Say Valley Maker" reference like so

Oh I Kantered out here
Now I'm Galluping back

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I Before E posted:

I can't seem to find a CJ trade that doesn't come out negative for both teams in the calculator but this seems to be the best one that would actually help the Blazers get a defensive backcourt presence. Does take a remarkable amount of finagling to get around whatever salary matching algorithm the calculator has.

the trade machine win calculator has been broken for a while. This site works. You can also see the genius level trades the average fellow is making

https://tradenba.com/trades/iPxIvMBVN

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://uproxx.com/dimemag/chris-webber-tnt-future-marv-albert-out-replacements/
Announcer News: Mayce Edward Christopher Webber III may not be back on TNT after this year. Most of you guys don't like him, I never found him that objectionable.

Booo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's a pointless conversation because there's no objective measurement of better, if you're throwing out teams at random.

The 4 seed in the east is the Ny Knicks. The 4 seed in the east is the Denver Nuggets. Two days ago, the Nuggets beat the Knicks so thoroughly that it was hardly a basketball game. And that's without 3 of their former top 5 guys. So what does best mean?

My instinct tells me that the finals will be Bucks Clippers, which means they'll both lose in the first round, but they seem like the 7 game series winning types.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 8, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

"call rachel nicholes" is a pretty gnarly own, hats off to KAT

That has to be all time. There's no way the Heat are winning a playoff series after that.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The mid to late 90s Jazz had incredible offensive efficiency, their main thing was the Stockton Malone PNR, right? Were other teams not running pnr all the time back then, or were they just incredibly good at it?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

i should rephrase: he doesn’t care about doing things that would make people like him. he wants the lebron clout where he can do whatever and people will still admire him and make excuses for him, but he doesn’t want to be a goody two-shoes company man like tim duncan

honestly i think he’s mad that people never loved him and will never love him as much as russ despite kd being objectively superior at basketball, but it’s all armchair psychology

I think he wanted to be a melo like beloved cult basketball figure while also being a mcdonalds spokesman type of nationally famous guy. The fact that he isn't seems to gall him much more than anyone would imagine

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

gnoma posted:

The Jazz offense in the 90s was the same flex offense they used in the 00s. Jerry Sloan started implementing it as an assistant in the mid-80s and it was all he used as head coach. It was very successful at creating layups using off ball screens and cuts. They only ran PNR during crunch time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUvkV4J2rY

No one else ran the PNR. The ball went to someone who could score or force a double team and pass out of it. Defenses were built to control pace and stop Showtime Lakers inspired fast break offenses from working. I think the trend towards more guard/foward ISOs had started but there were still a lot of post ups.

That's a great video, thanks for sharing it. Thanks to everyone else who responded to this question too.

Do you have any idea when the PNR became The play? Is it a development that comes after illegal defense and hand check rules? Was the Suns high pnr with the big setting the high screen what made it the thing, or was that just a smartification of already existing pnrs?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

de curry GOAT posted:

This sounds bad

The difference between that and a "sprained wrist" is that he's going to need surgery to tie it back together.

https://www.assh.org/handcare/condition/scapholunate-torn-ligament

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I have a feeling that if the Bucks get eliminated early on in the playoffs again, it will be because Jrue Holiday gets 2 ticky tack offensive fouls on his elbows out pivoting cyclone drives to the basket, then another quick 2 on defense

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks everybody for the good PNR posts. I'm lucky to post with such wise men.

Just gazing at the standings today, with 5 days of games and most teams having between 3 and 4 games left. https://www.nba.com/standings

play in team possibilities: I think the spurs could easily win two games against the grizzlies and Lakers/Warriors. Everything changes if lebron and ad are sort of healthy, of course.

Over in the east, I think charlotte is by far the best of the play in teams, they might give the nets a couple scary games, especially of jim harden misses any time.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Orlando magic, 21 wins
cleve cavs, 21 wins
Oak C Thunder, 21 wins
Minn T wolves, 21 wins
Detroit Pistons, 20 wins
Houston Rock, 16 wins

Guess who's playing tonight, T wolves and Pistons. How hard will Minnesota try to lose this loving game?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Some metrics must have told espn that people care more about awards voting than anything else, because the lowe, windhorst, etc podcasts have been 100% award ranking bullshit for about a month now. Who loving cares

Although Lowe making fun of arnovitz for saying "take yes for an answer" for 5 minutes was funny

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 11, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The idea of Minnesota missing out on Cade this year because Ant Edwards is so good and does not know how not to ball hard every night is very cute

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

ant has had a nice month but if you can get cade you don't worry about how edwards fits

(that said I think it'd be fine)

Right, even if Edwards isn't exactly Klay Thompson or something, he can't use every possession, so having Cade as your 1 and him as 2 would be fine

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

No

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Here are our tank champions, all but Houston need to keep losing to secure their positions. I just went through their upcoming games to see which playoff teams play them, to see who'll have auto wins as the season closes and seeding finishes.

Houston plays LAL, LAC, and ATL
OKC plays UTA, LAC
Minnesota plays DEN, BOS, DAL
ORL plays ATL, PHI, PHI
CLE plays BOS, WSH, BKN
DET plays DEN, MIA

Denver gets 2, but they're chasing the Clippers who have 3.

2 for Atlanta, helping them keep the 4 seed with the same record Heat

One for the Lakers and One for Dallas, which negates the bump for LA.

Utah gets one which should keep them in the top seed in the west.

Boston gets two, which shouldn't be enough for them to leave the play in.

Dallas has one, they have the same record but lose on tiebreaks to portland who isn't getting one of these freebies, so that might matter.

Philly has 2, which means they probably won't lose the 1 seed.

Washington has one which is a small amount of help if they want to get homecourt for their 9/10 play in game.

Miami's tied with Atlanta and has one fewer gimme

I'm realizing now that Houston's games might not be auto losses as they gain nothing by losing. They're so bad that they may as well be auto losses.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Zach Lowe wrote his Luke Walton All Stars column and it was guys you'd expect, Bruce Brown, Cam Payne, Yuta Watanabe, Juan Tuscano Anderson, and so on, and the last guy I swear I've never heard of, and I try and know every single guy on every team, Garrison Matthews.

Anyone ever heard of this guy?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kingcobweb posted:

i tried to look him up on basketball reference but you misspelled his last name so i couldn't. Trap sprung I guess t:mad:

My bad, I also wonder if anyone here has even heard of Lipscomb university, maybe excluding nickrowe

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vinestalk posted:

While we're lucky we tanked during the covid season, this does seem like a woefully optimistic piece. I love the new guys but they are much more likely to end up as rotation players on another team then stay on the Pistons.

Do you mean the the 4 2020 draft pick young guys or do you mean hamadu diallo Josh Jackson etc?

Because I can see another team signing hamadu this offseason and Josh Jackson might be going just because it's pretty clear that at best he's a bench gunner and he's really not that great at that.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Views: The Nets are really good and any playoff series they're in should be fun to watch

Vinestalk posted:

I was talking about the draft picks. I think Josh is going to end up being used in a trade and he knows it. Diallo is tough to nail down because Troy specifically went after him. They bring more energy than the old vets Van Gundy was bringing in, but it's because they're all projects who know Detroit is the only team willing to take a flyer on them.

I don't understand your thinking, then. Bey might top out as an okay starter on a decent team, Stewart as a good backup c, and hayes as an okay starter, how does that put their future on another team?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Marvello is a lot of work for what seems to be an inside joke about an old school NBA minority owner gritty pawn shop chain owner type of guy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Facu has been awesome this year. I hope Facu wins finals mvp

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is it possible to bet 1000000 dollars on Denver bowing out of the game against Portland to make sure the Lakers are in the play-in

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Detroit is sitting Isaiah Stewart and the nuggets are sitting everyone. This should be tough

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It looks like Victor Oladipo's done for a very long time https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...pot/ar-BB1gJY0g

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Rick Foxification of Tim Duncan read my article

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

He deserves it. Chauncey better be up next

and RIP Marv Albert. It's time for him to retire, but he was an all time great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Hey Lebron... wait til you see my dick (Ying Yang Twins, wait- the whisper song,2021)