Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Booyah- posted:

this would be funny if it wasnt a dumb narcissistic thing for cuban

i wouldn't go that far but I can't say i'm particularly interested one way or the other in this thing that will show up on the big screen during commercial breaks when it's not the fat dancing guys and Mavs players edited into superhero movie trailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone look at Lukas record against the Kings and tell be Vlade was wrong

He's also 1-8 against DeAndre Ayton lol

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

The career of Luka will end up being some kind of Greek tragedy

Two decades of choral interludes explaining that yes this was a quiet offseason but next year we have cap space

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
If I were a NBA hot take guy on TV I'd probably just focus on the play-in or maybe lie and make up something about people telling me LeBron wants to join the Knicks or whatever. Pretending Jokic isn't good at this point is just humiliating

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Papercut posted:

The country hated the Jazz so much they were actually unified in rooting for Jordan to make sure they didn't get a ring.

Not that people loved the Jazz but as I recall Michael Jordan was one of the most popular athletes of all time

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
(Please take serious)

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I suppose I could just check this myself but do the Mavs actually list prices in crypto or do you buy whatever the USD equivalent is at the point of sale

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

The merch only lists in USD but I don’t think it’s even possible to have a consistent Bitcoin price.

Yeah I figured. I don't know anything about finance and investment and poo poo but just purely as a Currency Of The Future I think an important step would be being able to tell me how much a hoodie costs

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Stevie Lee posted:

Him and Luka

no one has 15; Russ and Draymond each have 14

Luka's at 15, it's been a source of high drama to see if he can avoid one for two full weeks and not get suspended with the Mavs trying to avoid a play-in

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

lol

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

What do we all think about the play-in tournament? I thought it was a fun wrinkle for the bubble and the weird Covid season, but I'm not sure if I love it going forward. I also was heavily favor of it when it looked the bulls would easily make it but now that the bulls missed it I am less enthusiastic.

On the one hand it offends my inner grouch that doesn't like BO1 anything if it can be at all avoided and thinks the playoffs already had twice as many teams as they should

OTOH it was nice to spend the last month or two of the regular season talking about teams trying to win instead of teams trying to lose. I think when some kind of anime contrivance makes me god emperor of basketball I'll have the 4/5 seeds play a BO3 play-in series and everyone from 6 down can get hosed, a compromise position that would cost the NBA a lot of money and please no one but me

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think everyone rightly thinks the Lakers are way better but I think everyone also rightly understands there is an enticingly high potential for chaos in any "one game against Steph Curry" situation

only a minor form of chaos though because even then the Lakers will just stomp MEM/SAS

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Is it just me or does Jimmy seem like a really hard worker?

Very astute, not many pick up on this aspect of Jimmy Butler

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm going to hit this thread with my most controversial NBA Take:

coaches should go back to wearing suits. they look like slobs now! make thibs dress like a disgraced television detective.

yeah it really looks bad

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Maybe LA nightlife is what he needs to play defense again, Mavs in 4

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The Mavs current lead still fits nicely into a framework where they win one game via terrible Clips shooting, one via great Mavs shooting, one via Luka Doncic supernova, and lose in 7 so I'm not gonna count my chickens or anything. But they're in a good spot and I'm absolutely cracking up thinking about how personally insulted Luka seems to be every time PatBev tries to guard him

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think the only teams that I just really have zero interest in among the entire field are BKN and PHI so that'll be the ECF

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Porzingis is officially listed as 17 inches taller than Facu, who is outrebounding him this postseason by three total boards while playing fewer minutes

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I assume Luka knows which parts of America are nice by now but I always thought it was a funny idea that he'd get sick of the Mavs and go to his dream destination of Cleveland to follow in the footsteps of his childhood idol

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The Clips ORtg this series is only two points lower than the Mavs and Mavs are shooting 50% from 3

He doesn't seem to have any defensive answers but also I kinda think there aren't any if Luka's gonna shoot his threes in the mid-40s

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'll be sad if the mavs blow it but I accept these kind of things as a cosmic punishment for Mark Cuban continuing to talk

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Ragnarok the Red posted:

That wasn't luck, they drafted Trae Young and traded him for Luka who the Hawks took two picks prior. So even if they hadn't made that trade they still would've ended up with the 2nd best player from that draft who is only slightly less amazing than Doncic.

I think general opinion is that they only took Trae because that's who Atlanta wanted them to, and if there was no trade the Mavs were going Wendell Carter

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I don't think Carlisle or anyone else was done with DSJ at all at that point. They weren't so married to him that they were going to pass on the upside of either the Luka pick or the KP trade, but he wasn't on the outs. Other people follow draft stuff more closely than me but as I recall I heard the Mavs connected to drat near everyone taken in the top ten *except* Trae

e: I think the Mavs do the KP trade anyway but I don't think they were eagerly shopping DSJ until his weird little stunt where he left the team and may or may not have demanded a trade or whatever. I think they thought DSJ and Luka could work

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 31, 2021

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

If the mavs win tonight I might turn inside out and die in shock

I'm taking the optimistic approach, it was fortuitous for the Mavs to have a crap shooting game the same night Luka's neck was too hosed for him to play well. Now his neck is feeling better and THJ is going to hit 9 threes.

We might still lose when Kawhi and PG score a combined 85 in the paint though

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

If Luka is feeling better they have a shot

That being said I haven’t heard anything about his shoulder since Sunday

Woj called his condition improved on Monday and Carlisle basically said the same yesterday, although in a cagier Rick Carlisle way. I doubt he's 100% but if he's better than "can't really turn his head to look left" then I'm allowing myself to enter the hope realm

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Donnie Nelson is the only GM in the NBA with an "I totally would've drafted Giannis!" story that I believe because it's completely on brand for Donnie Nelson to fall in love with an odd project player from Europe and completely on brand for Mark Cuban to stick his loving nose into everything and gently caress it up

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think the Mavs can win but they really can't afford anything less than an A+ game from Luka

A lot of teams get ripped apart when they double Luka but the Clips did the smart thing and made sure to not concede an immediate basket and make the other Mavs win a 4 on 3 situation and they mostly don't know how to do that

e: Luka was also too passive in the 4th, seemed like the lack of foul calls and his poor shooting at the end of G5 got in his head a bit. I'd rather watch him brick a dozen runners in a row than see Dorian Finney-Smith dribble

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Metapod posted:

Thinking about how cold blooded kawhi and George were last night

Kawhi shot 72% from the floor last night and it was only his third best shooting night of the series

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Traxis posted:

Trae needs to do this after he hits a dagger 3 in the 4th quarter

Can you hit a dagger up 25?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The clips just had a better team so I'm gonna try to focus on 47-7-14 in a road game 7 at age 22. I love Luka

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

The issue with KP is that his points are basically points that everyone else in the NBA can score at the same rate, and he’s no longer a rim protector after his injuries, so he’s like a...stretch four, which every team in the league has.

Yeah I think this is the root of it. A lot of attention gets directed at how he plays with Luka but those lineups tend to be great and KP had his most efficient NBA season on offense, they work fine together. Take Luka out and leave KP in and the offense dies. All the benefits of KP are stretch big things next to an elite scorer and playmaker. The "2nd star" thing, where he creates his own offense, the offense can run through him and perform well, Luka can sit two minutes without the entire fanbase curling into a ball, that kinda stuff, doesn't happen.

This would be easier to stomach if he still played defense but he doesn't

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

lol at the fanbase clamouring for carlisle and not the front office that built that team. like how can anyone but the homerest of homers look at that roster and not say that's team that needs multiple plane crashes to make a deep playoff run

You could probably broadly divide the Mavs fans into two camps, those that are still mad at the lack of minutes for Untouchable Roddy B and those who cannot believe the team declared Roddy B "untouchable"

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Should probably take Mavschat to the Gone Fishin' thread because people are probably sick to death of it but just to summarize, these are the Mavs moves of significance since the end of Luka's rookie season, which they ended with loads of cap space, bird rights to KP, and a huge trade exception from the Barnes deal:

- Re-signed Dwight Powell, Dorian Finney-Smith, Maxi Kleber, and Kristaps Porzingis
- Traded for Delon Wright
- hosed up a trade for Kelly Olynyk
- Signed Boban
- Re-signed JJ Barea
- Traded for Willie Cauley-Stein
- Signed Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
- Signed Trey Burke
- Traded Seth Curry for Jason Richardson
- Traded Delon Wright for James Johnson
- Signed Wes Iwundu
- Re-signed Willie Cauley-Stein
- Re-signed Trey Burke
- Traded Iwundu and James Johnson for JJ Redick and Nicolo Melli

Yes, the KP trade doesn't leave them with a lot of trade assets, and yes it all pays off if they landed Giannis or whatever (though I feel extremely generous giving the Mavs any credit for saving cap space for Star X), but to me this is just a complete catastrophe of team-building. Luka's making $8mil a year or whatever and the most impactful playoff performer they've grabbed is Boban, what the gently caress are they gonna do when Luka gets his raise

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Also it says Brunson doesn't have an option for year four but it is "non-guaranteed" and I'm sure there's some technical difference to that but from what I can tell reading the CBA FAQ, it shouldn't matter. The crux of the issue is if Brunson, as a 2nd round pick, hits FA after year three or year four. The Mavs either have to void that deal and lock him in now or let him play out the last year and almost certainly lose him

Which I agree is not galaxy brained but is extremely unwelcome news because I thought the Brunson decision was next year and I think everyone else did too. So the Mavs have to make a long-term decision on 2 of the most important pieces of an obviously inadequate core against a FA backdrop of RFAs and TJ McConnell. I really have no clue how the Mavs get better next year.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Lockback posted:

I don't think so. They will have bird rights on him still after next year so they will be in a better position to give him a contract. I think another year at dirt price and then a slight over pay is better than having to pay market this year.

If they want they can always try to extend him anyway.

Yeah you're right actually, forgot about Bird Rights

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

de curry GOAT posted:

Absolutely :hmmyes:. The ball should NOT be in your best players hands

dokmo-style supercut of every time DFS or J-Rich tried to drive against the Clippers AKA TEAM BASKETBALL

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Steve Nash used to lay on the floor during Mavs games because of his back then he went to Phoenix and they did their voodoo black magic poo poo

He did this all the time in Phoenix too. Nash's back was weird because you'd always hear about it and he'd be lying on the ground during games but he basically never missed big time due to it until he was old and on the Lakers. The only year in PHX or DAL where he missed a big chunk of the season due to injury was 99-00 and that was his ankle

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The Dallas media is just running with the Donnie Nelson line about Luka needing to mature and make his teammates better and blah blah blah which is loving rich because he's been retroactively excusing the past decade of failure by touting what a popular recruiting chip Luka will be. But there finally seems to be some national media/fanbase heat on him and Cuban and deflections in the general vein "DeAndre Jordan changed his mind" and "We couldn't trade for Goran Dragic because we were trying to trade for Kelly Olynyk" and "We didn't sign anyone because we weren't expecting players to sign so quickly once free agency opened" just aren't available yet

I dunno if it'll run Luka out or anything, a lot can happen in a half-decade or so, but Luka isn't Dirk, I presume the kid who up and moved to Spain at 12 or 13 or w/e is a little more wordly and a little less sentimental than the guy who needed a lady in the front office to teach him how to pay bills. And I genuinely don't think the Mavs fully comprehend that if Dirk is a fraction less good or a fraction less patient the franchise is a Timberwolves-level embarrassment. Like they do because it's obvious but they don't

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 11, 2021

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Could someone PM me the text of that Mavs article, I don't got no Athletic sub. e: thank you Spacebump. I assume "hit piece to save Donnie" is probably correct but I'd like to read it

I don't know how to precisely divvy up blame for the Mavs FO loving everything up all the time but at this point I consider it a glaring problem that the team can't keep a single loving thing under wraps at all, and as soon as negative stories get out Cuban makes everything worse by throwing a tantrum about the reporters and pulling credentials and poo poo. That kinda thing suggest much broader, longer-term dysfunction to me than whether this individual advisor is an idiot, or the GM is an idiot, or even if Cuban's just an idiot. The Mavs FO puts more energy into the PR edifice making sure everyone knows they're smart than they do upgrading the basketball team and within about one year of actual scrutiny that edifice crumbled entirely and Cuban's already had like three meltdowns

Spacebump posted:

Terry had personal issues and wasn’t with the team for like half the season. Green occasionally showed promise on defense in limited minutes. Carlisle doesn’t play young guys enough so they barely got to see the floor when available. Green saw more minutes than Terry and looked less raw in games. It is wild they both couldn’t get more minutes when half the team had covid.

I would've liked to see Green play more but there's a real chicken and the egg thing with young Mavericks, do they suck bc Carlisle won't play them or does Carlisle not play them bc they suck. It's admittedly bizarre that Mavs non-Luka 1st rounders barely see the floor and Carlisle should probably be more patient with them but he's also developed several 2nd rounder/undrafted guys into useful rotation players. And DSJ got plenty of run, he was just bad.

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Rick posted:

It definitely seems like something that might be my jam, I bought it on steam sale once I just never got to it.

If you have the type of brain that is even remotely interested in that kinda thing, OOTP is great