Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

That playoff chart with the lakers playing the busted nugs and then the playin/suns seems a little too convenient.

Depends on tonight’s games- the Nuggets could switch with the Clippers if they win against them tonight, and Dallas ties the Lakers if they beat the Wizards tonight as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Big Celtics energy. But also Lakers energy??

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Can someone that watches the Nuggets explain to me how they haven't seemed to miss a beat after losing multiple rotation guys to injury?

Their perimeter defense has improved a lot lately. They’re giving Facu more minutes, signed Shaq Harrison, and Dozier has been playing well. On offense, Murray wasn’t contributing as much as you would think from his numbers, because he was taking a lot of contested iso shots while Jokic watches. They’re replacing all the Jokic/Murray two man stuff with Jokic/MPJ and it’s been working great.

The biggest struggle all year for the team has been what to do when Jokic sits, and the bench seems to be figuring out how to play on offense a lot better lately.

Also Will Barton is not actually good

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Okay y'all, the nuggets did it, they won the 3 seed so they :siren: don't have to play the lakers first round :siren: because the lakers are the 5 seed!! did anything else happen in the other games today i've been busy

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
For once I will defend the Philly Poster, it’s definitely ridiculous that what OKC is doing is allowed. Based on previous precedent of what kind of tanking isn’t allowed, choosing to deactivate your team’s second-best player and have the league allow it is genuinely shocking.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The better comparison I think is when the nba fined Cuban $600k just for mentioning that yeah losing was currently better http://es.pn/2oD7sn2

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

dokmo posted:

I think that's the most embarrassing clip since that Sam Dekker one.

It’s Grayson Allen missing a dunk and getting hit in the rear end with the ball

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Looking at the box score of nuggets/lakers:

Drummond: 21 minutes, -11

Gasol: 17 minutes, +17

hmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMmmm,

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Brogeoisie posted:

Maybe dumb q but why doesn't Montrez Harrell play more minutes at the 5? Is his defense really jad

It's pretty jad, it's a big factor of why the Clippers lost to the Nuggets in the playoffs.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
2013-14 Knicks had my favorite Knicks thing which was some preseason model (either ESPN or 538 I forget which) predicted they’d win 37 wins and Melo was dismissive because how could they possibly follow up a 54 win season by winning 37 games, and they ended up winning exactly 37 games

Edit: found it https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/...-040535295.html

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 4, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This flop is so funny in slow motion

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

morestuff posted:

Looks like they just bang knees and he’s reacting to me

it was an offensive foul on facu that took away the MPJ three that he's attempting with the nuggets down four

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rick posted:

He hit the shot that gave the Lakers the lead and blocked a game winning 3 from two feet away.

the shot he blocked was not behind the 5 point line

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1390340740467863552

Guess it wasn’t the instant firing people on the Internet said it was

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Nurkic has to be one of the weirdest trades in recent NBA history, where one side gets objectively the far far far better deal (trading a good starting center and a first for a backup center and a second round pick) and it made the team on the losing side of it way better.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Speaking of which, Denver has improved on defense so much recently they’re 10th overall in DRTG on the season. Their perimeter defense is so much better with a rotation of Shaq Harrison, Austin Rivers, and starter minutes for Facu.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
w/r/t the blazers, I thought maybe their dogshit defense might be due to scheme. Then I looked up the minutes played on the roster this year and Kanter is 3rd and Melo is 4th so yeah that defense is not Stott's fault lmao

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

A steal removes a possession from the other team (robbing them of an expected point) and gives you a possession (granting a point) not to mention that steals result in a better than average PPP because you are more likely to get a fast break/transition opportunity. So it's way more valuable than splitting free throws.

This is double counting, a steal ends a defensive possession just as though they had missed a shot or turned the ball over via a charge or traveling

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I'm going to make a twitter bot that proposes different Ben Simmons for x player trades

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

His father also knew a shooter in Dallas

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I checked the season where Wilt averaged the most assists, looks like he got to 45 over three games. (Ended the season with nine straight triple doubles, too.)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

I wonder how many quadruple doubles he would have had that year if they'd bothered to track blocks

wilt getting so bored he decided to see if he could lead the league in assists and then going out and actually doing it is so funny, it must have been fun as hell to be the biggest and most athletic guy in the league by like a factor of 10

From what I've heard (from the Thinking Basketball youtube) is that it was also his Philly coach going "hey what if you... didn't take 30+ shots a game. No not even 25 shots." So he took 14 really good shots a game, shot 68% instead of 54%, got 8 assists a game, and they won a championship in '67 when previously the Wilt teams had never done better than losing 4-1 in the finals

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

y’all don’t mind if i kramer into a discussion about assists do ya

sometime in the 70s (post big o pre bird/magic), the rules/guidelines for scoring assists got changed. it used to be that players weren’t supposed to get credit for an assist if the player they passed it to did anything besides take a shot. so if they dribbled or posted up or even got into a triple threat, no assist

this changes sometime around the introduction of the three point line. in light of this, oscar and will’s achievements in dimes are actually even more impressive than they look

do you have a citation for this?? i've never heard this. I'm watching this highlight package now (pro click btw) and a bunch of his assists are with the guy taking a dribble first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EPblJCcM8

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I did a double take when I realized he didn't mean that Wright had clearly lost his mind

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

The west has two high altitude home courts and two teams in la and will thus always have a natural advantage

Altitude has been shown to have no relationship with home court advantage, HCA is because refs call fouls in favor of the home team. This is why the Sixers, whose playstyle is about taking two point shots and getting fouled on them, are more dependent on home court than almost anyone

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Denver blew it, only 15 points in the 4th quarter.

Their games are pretty meaningless now tho

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This season must have the most Shaq references (to him as a player, not him as an idiotic analyst). Jokic as the best offensive center since Shaq, Zion playing physically like (and drawing uncalled contact like) Shaq, Embiid playing the closest to Shaq in style of any player

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
If no one ran PNR then why did Kurtis Blow say that he loved it. Checkmate

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
i'm being nostalgic at 3am and watching 'dazzling dunks and basketball bloopers,' a vhs i watched on repeat as a kid, and i looked up Frank Layden on wikipedia which has this gem:

quote:

Once in a road game against the Denver Nuggets, there was a halftime contest where a young fan won a halftime shooting contest. Layden pulled the kid aside and jokingly asked him if he was interested in helping out the Jazz, who were down by 25 points at the time. Layden then tried sneaking him onto the court with four other Jazz players and got the fan on the court before the referees realized what was going on and stopped play.
god drat no one does this poo poo any more. bring it back

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

mdemone posted:

yessss that fuckin VHS tape got wore the gently caress out in my house

The joke at 17:45 is extremely good and would never get approved by today's NBA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tagMNPWVPq0&t=1065s

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
CJ Miles : CJ Miles

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Iguodala gave the Warriors the Nuggets game plans during their playoff series when he was a Nugget so that they’d sign him next season

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Red Rox posted:

No no, I think it’s perfectly fine to fight hard to get the 3rd seed then end up facing the defending champion LA Lakers in the first round of the playoffs.

This is fine.

Please, there's no way they'll win enough games to move up to the 6th seed.

They'll be the 8 seed after going 1-1 in the play-in and be against the Jazz in the first round for the wildest 1-8 series pairing ever.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I remembered Horncek being an elite three point shooter- I looked him up and his percentages were even better than I remembered, but he shot less than three a game in Utah. Baffling.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Zach Lowe wrote his Luke Walton All Stars column and it was guys you'd expect, Bruce Brown, Cam Payne, Yuta Watanabe, Juan Tuscano Anderson, and so on, and the last guy I swear I've never heard of, and I try and know every single guy on every team, Garrison Matthews.

Anyone ever heard of this guy?

i tried to look him up on basketball reference but you misspelled his last name so i couldn't. Trap sprung I guess t:mad:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
some interesting data nerd poo poo: https://thef5.substack.com/p/youd-complain-too

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

thrilla in vanilla posted:

All Twitter fan bases are bad.

I like the Argentinians replying to every single Nuggets post saying that Facu needs more minutes. They got their wish! Turns out they were... right all along

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

Dwight just picked up his 16th technical foul and will be suspended for one game lol

Is he the only guy to get to 16 this year?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

That's an absolutely nuts statistic. I guess the answer for the people wondering how they'll share the ball is to simply never have the three of them available at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tae posted:

And that they're almost number 1 seed despite that

And despite being 24th in defense! Just open contempt for the idea of playing hard during the regular season as a team in the East.