Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
How exactly did the Raptors, on the second half of a travelling back-to-back, beat the Lakers in LA? Did they just run Lowry-Siakam pick and roll for 40 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Raptors are pulling out some really clutch losses with 60% of the top of their rotation missing. Gives the feeling they could go right back to winning 50 next year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

Over the course of the season, the Pels have moved from the bottom right to the top left corner of this chart:

https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1390645047549468674?s=20

Team is weird.

I'm a big fan of OKC being indicated somewhere beyond the boundaries of the graph.

Also I note the Raptors in the top right quadrant.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spacebump posted:

What would be a funnier first round upset Knicks over Nets or Wizards over Nets?

Wizards by far. Russell Westbrook with the ultimate revenge series is the best outcome the league has had on option since I can remember.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

It’s called argumentem ad absurdum

I don’t think Westbrook is the mvp

If it's all the same to you, I think this gimmick has run its course and we would all be better if you'd move on.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

It’s entertaining and makes this thread less stuffy for whatever it’s worth IMO

Particularly on a Friday night

If you guys wanna let him go, sure.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Toronto Raptors, tragically, no longer have a positive point differential.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/SmithRaps/status/1392587479258177542

drat the Rockford homies won't be able to see VanVleet

I was kinda hoping that the Raptors would dress the full lineup and try to eliminate the Bulls. Maybe once they lose and clinch their spot in the standings they can instead put the Bulls into the playoffs by knocking out the Pacers on the final day.

Mostly just want that positive point differential back.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao stanley johnson went for 35 against the bulls

The second-most implausible Raptors 30 point game this season. Above Chris Boucher but below Paul Watson.

This trash season has at least gifted us a ton of absolutely ridiculous statlines.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Boucher one was also against the bulls.

One of his three was against the Bulls.

The games have sucked to watch this year but the team still manages to rule.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Who are the teams that people are taking seriously as contenders, anyway? I feel like there's a bit of an odd mix this year where the top seeds (Utah, Phoenix, Philadelphia) get instinctively dismissed, while some of the more conventional favourites (Clippers, Lakers, Nets, Bucks) either have conspicuous flaws or hilarious failures in their past which seems to mean they aren't taken fully seriously. I dunno. Maybe that's just what it looks like from a distance.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jalen Harris is the tenth Raptor this year to score 30 points in a game. I’m glad he’s a three level scorer, whatever the hell that means.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

What do the Wizards-Hornets-Pacers tie breakers look like? What set of results are necessary to get the Wizards into the 7-8 game (and thereby set up the 2-7 series with the Nets)?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

hifi posted:

what did you think about the heat last year?

I mean, they got handled rather easily in the finals.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

dokmo posted:

I was once asked a long time ago to come up with a bunch of bullshit statistical milestones to include as bonuses in a contract that looked achievable but really weren't. The only one I remember was FT% / FG% > 1.7, but they were all that dumb. The player's agent was fine with these, but the league would not let us use these stats for bonuses because they don't like fun.

I can't remember what I'm responding to, but I already typed all that out.

What's the motivation for coming up with stuff like that?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

dokmo posted:

A team wants to offer bonuses to a player that they'll never have to pay out, but wants the player (or the agent) to think they have a good chance at getting the bonus.

This was a free agent.

This is what I thought but the way you phrased it made me think it was the agent requesting it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

One more game to secure Wizards-Nets

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I suppose a Kyrie Irving revenge series against the Celtics is an okay consolation prize for missing out of a Russell Westbrook vs the Nets series.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

Money is probably not an issue and he can already do whatever the gently caress he wants to on the basketball side. Masai has much more pull now than Shanahan did when he was brought in to run the Leafs and they let him tank so that shouldn’t be a problem. And the board is much more likely to think they know what they are talking about when it comes to hockey than basketball so they are probably more willing to just listen to what Masai has to say than try and talk back with their dumbass fan suggestions.

I’d guess Masai is looking for support/freedom in outside activities like Giants of Africa or community building stuff like BLM.

Yeah. Eric Koreen, who I assume was being fed information, has spent the year saying that if Ujiri leaves the Raptors it's most likely for something outside of basketball (or, at least, above the level of a team). You put that together with both his comments about playing in the bubble last year (he's on the record as saying that playing was a mistake because it detracted from the protests) and his experiences with the Blart in Golden State and I would guess he's negotiating for stuff beyond basketball.

As for offseason plans, a more tense decision is probably around what they do with Siakam. I think everyone is on the same page with Lowry following whatever is his, Lowry's, first choice.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

What's the general public opinion on Siakim now? I haven't kept up with him or the Raptors, is he no longer considered an elite piece?

I mean a disconcerting amount of the general public was making GBS threads on him after he put up 44/8/5 so people are getting frustrated with him. There are a few parts of his game which don't seem to be at the point one would've hoped them to be when he signed his contract (particularly decision-making), and he doesn't seem to solve Toronto's late game half court offence problem. I think there are worlds where it makes sense to trade him, though I do not know basketball well enough to know if you could get a return which is (1) at value and (2) lets you continue to compete through VanVleet and Anunoby's contracts.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Lockback posted:

I don't disagree that he's still a good player but usually you don't want to see efficiency drop along with usage. Raptors also went from being the 2nd best defense to the 15th (RPM has his defense dropping off too) and the 6% drop in 3pt% is not a good thing. Like I said, I think he's actually better than that, the Raptors season sucked because of the move, but I do think its fair to call this a disappointing season from him. I just think there's context that makes it hopefully not a big deal.

I feel like this point in particular should be primarily attributed to the team not having a centre for three quarters of the year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

If the Lakers go down, we will be getting a fresh NBA champ.

If the Lakers go down, none of the champions from the past 7 years will be in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Which is a stupid trivia point but I wonder when the last time that happened was.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

While I'm worried about jinxing it, I would like to note that we are closing in on a third straight year of Kawhi Leonard winning the same number of playoff games as the Toronto Raptors.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Red Rox posted:

Has there ever been a playoff series where no one won at home?

This depends on what you mean by “home” because the “road” team won all seven of Raptors-Celtics last year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jackson Polack posted:

sorry to phone scrollers and mods if posting from behind a paywall isnt allowed

Excerpts and summaries good, full copy/paste bad. Basically to make sure we don’t get shouted at by copyright people.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Al Horford somehow ending up back on the Celtics after multiple salary dump trades would be a remarkable conclusion, and is almost certainly the funniest option on the table. It must happen.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Can a basketball-understander explain to me how, on a technical level, the Hawks actually won this series? Because I can understand shookness and spiritual weakness but even with that in mind I don't understand how the collection of players on the Sixers lost to the collection of players on the Hawks.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Algund Eenboom posted:

The sixers would win the series if they had traded for blaise pascal

Always bet on Ben Simmons being perfectly shook.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I know this is friendly and in good fun but finding someone’s posts on another forum is one of those lines I’m not comfortable about crossing, and I’d rather leave well enough alone.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MourningView posted:

No idea how the roster works with him but Simmons is absolutely the kind of guy the Raptors love, could definitely see them doing that if they're ready to move on from Lowry and don't think this year was just a fluke because of the weird covid stuff

They can even plug him right into the Rondae Hollis-Jefferson role in the offensive sets.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I was away from the computer when everything was happening so let me just say that this thread does quite a good job of maintaining its own standards. Maybe if people put just a touch more effort into avoiding low and no content posts things would be a bit smoother.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Apparently the Suns' play last night was dreamed up by Jay Triano, and initially run using Dragan Bender and Tyson Chandler.

https://twitter.com/_nopename/status/1407688835862040584?s=20

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Maybe for other people but Booker's got a face that has the mask making him look like Michael Myers.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I know this is serious cart-ahead-of-horse thinking here, but how do the Suns stack up more broadly against the Bucks? It has seemed to my non-expert eyes that Ayton is critical for the Suns' offence, with both the pick-and-roll and his offensive rebounding serving as a kind of relief valve if everything else gets gummed up. Would having Giannis and generally infinite length help the Bucks defray that? I kind of wonder about the knock-on effects to the Suns offence if a defence can get a handle on Ayton.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Am I crazy for thinking that if you trade away Siakam, that also takes away a big part of the motivation for trading up to take Mobley? I mean, obviously you can still think that Mobley is a better prospect than the Jalens, but for Toronto it seems like a fairly significant part of the attraction of Mobley relative to the Jalens is that Mobley fits into the most glaring hole the team has. If you trade Siakam the roster is suddenly a lot less set.

Or maybe the goal isn't to trade up, and they're just tremendously high on Sengun at 7 or whatever. Still seems dodgy value-wise.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It feels like this conversation isn't going in a good or productive direction. It might be an idea to just let it go.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Given the Raptors lack of half-court scoring this is non-trivially bad for them. Anyway, I wonder what it was. He posted this yesterday:

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1410434824276430854

If it's illicit painkillers or something... that seems unduly harsh.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I’m really excited for the finals this year. There’s something I find likeable about the Suns in general, but also Chris Paul’s last few years. He goes from being discarded by the Rockets to an admirable campaign with the Thunder to a title shot with the Suns. I think there’s also a bit of Kyle Lowry solidarity in supporting Paul, like a triumph for another undersized point guard who is great at no-stats stuff.

On the other hand, the funniest outcome is probably the Bucks winning without Antetekounmpo playing.

So really, something to cheer for all around.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If they can fit Kevin Love on a ring-chasing contract that's gotta bode extremely well for the Nets, no? He's not Aldridge levels of cooked, is he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A pair of Kemba Walker trades where both Boston and LA get worse while the Thunder get four more picks.