Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

dokmo posted:

upon further research, i've come to the conclusion that anfernee simons is the worst defender in the league, and likely the worst defender of any player who has played more than 500 minutes over the last decade (with the possible exception of collinn sexton and jimmer)

He really should be in the G league. All he offers is shooting and Portland has plenty of that.

Somehow Olshey decided that McCollum and Lillard need a bunch of offense only players around them like Kanter, Melo and Simons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

dokmo posted:

it's not just kanter, they have continually brought on other awful defensive players like carmelo and hood, and brought on "stoppers" like harkless and cov who aren't going to fix the defense in any meaningful way.

Yeah Simons, Kanter, Melo, Hood, Trent Jr and Little are hard to watch on defense.

Most of the issues stem from the fact that Olshey was given a bad hand to start when Aldridge left and all he had to build around was Lillard and McCollum. But his hits haven't been big enough (Nurkic, Harkless, Trent Jr, Kanter, Powell, Seth Curry) and the team has been weighed down by his mistakes (Evan Turner, Simons, Zach Collins, Crabbe, Meyers Leonard, Stauskas, Tolliver, Hezonja, Bazemore, Ariza, DJJ)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

anakha posted:

I always thought of Nurkic as Pekovic with defense before the injuries started piling up.

I know I'm biased but I don't think it's injuries piling up. I think he's just rusty and the entire team is struggling a bit. Neither of his injuries suggest he's injury prone and he's only 26. He also lost a bunch of weight in 2017 and has managed to keep it off.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

rivetz posted:

Stuff like this is why I think moving on from Olshey would be a really big mistake. There are a lot of similar stories over his tenure that demonstrate his philosophy re: small-market challenges.

anyway, prognosis: Move on from Stotts, sell out to keep Powell, keep Nurk if you can, hope for no more season-ending injuries :xd: yeah right, be happy with 2nd round because realistically anything more is gravy

I think we're both on the same page that Olshey has done a good job considering his constraints. But so far he has only been able to hit singles and a double/triple (Nurk). To compete for a title the team really needs more results like that or better.

I also agree with your suggestion for what the team should do next.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Poque posted:

It's only disrespectful in that it was a reaction to a completely different record. Like when the response to "Russ broke the triple double record!" is a reflexive "WELL HE WON'T BREAK THE ASSIST ONE" it kind of sucks, and naturally people will then go off about Stockton being overrated since the whole thing is just endless twitter hell-shouting

It makes perfect sense because both records are probably the most overhyped in the NBA

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

Feel bad for caleb :(

yeah hearing his story definitely makes you root for him. Hopefully he can get back in shape and on a G-League or overseas team. He's only 24

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

The most cold-blooded man in the world

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I think Portland wins in regulation if Nurkic doesnt pick up those 2 quick fouls in the 4th, but then again Nurkic been able to stay on the court all series

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

It kills me that Denver is getting contributions from 1 recent mid lottery pick in MPJ, a 2nd round pick in Morris, a guy on a 2 way deal in Howard, and 2 cheap free agents they signed this past summer in Green and Campazzo

And Portland has Melo, Simons, Kanter and RHJ doing almost nothing of note.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I'm hearing that Danny has offered 2 1st round picks to Toronto in exchange for Masai

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

That Durant article is fine I guess but it’s just a fluff pice so I feel people were hyping up a bit much

It's pretty bad.

There's the part that asks "Does this superteam have a chance to win the championship?" (Hint: The answer is yes)

There's the part where Durant claims he claps back online because he wants people to see that he's a real person, not because he's insecure.

There's the part where the author resolves Durant of any blame for joining the 73 win Warriors and instead makes it sound like people were mad at him because black people have too much power.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Papercut posted:

Yeah the window to trade him was a year or two ago. I don't know that they could really get an impact player back in return at this point.

I think CJ has value, but I don't know if they are gonna be able to trade him during the offseason after he played so poorly in the playoffs . I think firing Stotts, re-signing Powell and running it back is the best of a bunch of bad options. Then maybe before the trade deadline you can deal CJ or find the quality 3/4 that the team is missing.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

leftist heap posted:

I'm guessing for Nurk the "right situation" is one in which he has a contract extension and that's about it.

That's possible, though I do wonder if he was just being emo after a frustrating playoff series.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Jota posted:

The Zach Lowe report on it was great

"He was almost as stunned as you by Portland’s mega-offer, by the way, which turned out to be for four years and $70 million. Turner’s agent made him promise not to tell anyone about the proposal until he signed it. Turner was too giddy, though. He hung up with his agent, immediately called Andre Iguodala, still a close friend and mentor, and blurted out, “Yo, Dre! They offered this!” Turner recalled, laughing. Iguodala told him to take the deal right away."

The crazy thing is that it probably wasn't even the top 3 worst deal of the summer. Deng, Mozgov, and Biyombo were all worse contracts.

Olshey gets a B+ from me. I mentioned it before but he got dealt a real lovely hand with Wes, Rolo and LMA all expiring at the same time and LMA signing with SAS. And then Lillard turned out to be too good to be a tank commander, the cap jumped, and bad luck with injuries bring us to where we are today.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

MazelTovCocktail posted:

When did the territorial draft allowance end?

The last player that I'm aware of was Lebron to the Cavs, but that was a more informal process

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Is "finals" a code word for "get punched in the dick"? Or are we talking about a different CP3?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Big mistake by Jokic not letting his bodyguard go for that steal instead

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

verbal enema posted:

Is where Okoro good or nah

Okoro was tied for the 2nd worst DRtg on the 25th worst defensive team in the league. I think him being that high on the graph is because he's taking the most difficult defensive assignment most nights, and his teammates (Sexton, Osman and Garland) are getting blown by a lot and he's scrambling to help on D.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Do you think Jason Kidd completely removed himself from the Blazers job because someone in NO whispered to him to stay available. I think so and that makes him the lead candidate

I think it's more likely that he knew Portland wasn't going to hire him and removed himself from consideration to avoid the awkwardness of having Lillard endorse him and then not getting the job.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Cuban hired the search firm after Elon Musk, Vitalik Buterin and Satoshi Nakamoto all turned him down

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Now that science has advanced and players are playing into their late 30s, Orlando will become more of a destination for free agents over 30.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Embiid is really good but Philly should trade him to a win now team because he won't last the number of years that it will take to fix the Ben Simmons issue, unless Morey can somehow trade Ben for Dame.

Simmons for CJ

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

leftist heap posted:

The idea of him getting traded to Portland is pretty funny because ironically enough I think Stotts was pretty good at getting decent production out of pretty limited role players. I don't think ditching CJ for Simmons does much for them overall unless they can work something else out at SG, like retaining Powell or something.

I wonder what MDA could do with Lillard + Simmons.

Also CJ is really good as a primary ball handler and scorer. I think he would really help Philly offensively.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I have a deaf friend and he confirmed that Paul George was actually signing "that's a bad shot"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Nationwide Arena also does this. It attracts a bunch of soccer/cheer/band moms and dads. The non-profit gets $50 and when I did it I also got like $15 in tips per game. I figure they do it mostly for tax reasons.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1408953751721885697

Woj says that Billups' version of events matches what the Blazers, Clippers and Cavaliers investigations found. Those aren't really the best run teams and who knows how detailed the investigation was, but I would like to hope that if those teams found some evidence that said otherwise they wouldn't have made him an offer.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Judakel posted:

Blazers should address the fanbase and release what they found.

I really hope they address it, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect Olshey to release a statement or have a press conference to address rumors about someone he's considering hiring

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

"The Blazers ultimately found nothing that they believed disqualified Billups from becoming the franchise's new head coach."

lmao, just straight up saying they weighed the pros and cons and decided hiring a rapist is perfectly acceptable

No, Billups' story is that he had consensual sex with the woman at his house, and the Blazers are saying what their independent investigation found aligned with his story.

Apparently this thread is full of learned tarot card readers

Edit: I don't like the Billups hire, and I think it's absolutely possible he's a rapist, but there's no smoking gun, so I'm not gonna try to read the tea leaves to find one.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 28, 2021

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

MourningView posted:

oh word they found the guy they had already decided to hire was okay wow

billups claims was that she performed consensual oral sex which doesn't line up with the injuries she showed when they did a rape kit, it's not as open and shut as you want it to be.

Maybe? It does sound like Olshey has liked Billups for a long time, but there also wasn't anyone in this thread or in the media who I saw calling that Billups would be their choice.

And yes sorry you're right about his story. The evidence clearly suggests that she was raped, but I just don't get how people read a few details from a racist hit piece of a book that contained quotes like

quote:

But there is nothing admirable or beautiful about the emerging image of today’s NBA player: diamond-studded ears, flesh plastered with offensive body tattoos, and nicknames like “The Answer” and “Big Dog.”

and decide Billups is 100% the one who did it.

kingcobweb posted:

It's not just the rapist vs not rapist thing, he's being promoted to HC after one year of assistant whereas she's been an assistant since 2014 and the lead assistant for some number of years. It's not like they're dead even candidates otherwise in terms of qualifications, the "he settled a civil suit for sexual assault" thing should be a further push to not even consider Billups when you could hire Hammon instead.

I think plenty of NBA coaches have proven that tenure as an assistant coach doesn't mean much. I think Hammon has a strong resume, but I can't really say she would make a better head coach than Billups, or MDA.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

general rule of thumb for hiring a HC or really any high profile position, don't hire the guy who you have to do an investigation of to determine whether or not he's a real deal rapist

I understand that sentiment, and I'm inclined to agree with you, but that's completely different from your previous post.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 28, 2021

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

eleven extra elephants posted:

Idk even if he was racist I think when drawing up a play in a high pressure/stakes situation like that using that scenario to do a racism towards Pippen would probably be the last thing on Jacksons mind

Jackson thought rookie Kukoc was the better option despite Pippin being a much better shooter and the best player on the team, it is a little weird in hindsight.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Udoka coached in San Antonio with Jim Boylen, so you can expect the Celtics to aim for 35 assists a game

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Pat Bev was standing still, took 2 steps and then fouled Paul. He wasn't moving that fast and could've easily avoided taking out CP3's legs.

Beverley took out his legs because he wants players to worry about getting injured while he's guarding them.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Poque posted:

Now accepting applications for a new team to root for

Can't be Detroit, LAC, Denver, or Minny

Also you can't watch ESPN

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Judakel posted:

I think he hit like 10 game winners that year.

This article says it was his 3rd. It also mentions he was 1 for 5 in 13 minutes prior to that shot lol

Also what a loving awful out of bounds play from Phil. Throw it to the rookie 25 feet from the basket who is shooting well below league average from everywhere on the court.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Seriously Kukoc had a .453 eFG and .497 TS compared to the league average of .485 and .528.

Luc Longley or Bill Cartright would've probably been a better choice

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I Before E posted:

Am I supposed to be reading that differently? It strikes me as a good luck gesture.

It's actually supposed to symbolize a broken finger, which is what Beverley plans to do to Chris Paul next time they play

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Zogobot - do we have enough data to extrapolate what Boogie's career would've looked like if he was drafted to a team that wasn't such a dumpster fire?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Not my worst trade idea

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

The Suns might not be in the finals if they hadn't drafted Kendall Marshall, Alex Len, Tyler Ennis, Dragan, Papagiannis, and Josh Jackson

So maybe those players were the right picks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Still wild to me we went from laughing at James Jones doing LeBron a solid by waving Tyson Chandler to thinking that James Jones is a drat maestro with his moves

He deserves credit for filling out their bench well in Crowder, Craig, Saric, and Johnson, but other than that I think he made low risk bets similar to what other GMs make. His bets just happened to all hit.

A 1st round pick and salary filler for Chris Paul was a pretty low risk trade that was only risky because everyone knew it was a roll of the dice if Paul stays healthy. Also if James Jones was a genius he would've got in on the trade last year and got a first round pick out of Houston.

Monty Williams deserved another coaching job, but I don't think anyone expected him to suddenly turn into a championship level coach. His stint in NO wasn't anything to write home about.

Cam Payne from being the worst player in the league to an above average starter is something that I don't think any GM or coach predicted.

Also don't forget James Jones traded TJ Warren away for cash considerations.