Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

Got so fed up with the internet outages I tried Chat Help with Xfinity. The rep fixed the issue within ten minutes. The modem obviously needs to be swapped, which I'll do when it arrives tomorrow, but no more outages tonight.

What the Christ was that phone rep doing!?

Two possibilities:

A - brand new and given a flowchart to follow to fix customer issues, which they haven't figured out how to deviate from in any way.

B - moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Every time I learn a new way in which the Tesla loving sucks I am pleased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsKwMryKqRE

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Every time I learn a new way in which the Tesla loving sucks I am pleased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsKwMryKqRE

I mean this is the same company that BBQd some poor SOB because they dont have mechanical door latches in the back.

Why the gently caress everything is electrical without an accessible mechanical backup is beyond me.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 13, 2021

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean this is the same company they BBQd some poor SOB because they dont have mechanical door latches in the back.

Why the gently caress everything is electrical without an accessible mechanical backup is beyond me.

They're tremendously inexperienced and also value aesthetic over all else. If they built a shirt factory it would have one exit the size of a doggy door so the building looked seamless and cool from the outside.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I used to work in a museum that had an auto collection that included some prototype jeeps from the late 90s.

One had electrical everything. You couldn't open the doors, hood, trunk, windows, anything unless a battery was hooked up.

Cars sitting in a museum do not have a battery hooked up or generally even in them. So the solution when you needed power was to use the cart that had jumpers and the battery/charger.

But you couldn't open the hood on this thing without a battery being hooked up. You can see the conundrum here.

Eventually the curator hooked up some long battery cables so you could hook the jumper up under the car, but prior to that anytime it needed to get moved, you found the smallest/lightest person working at that time and boosted them through the window to sit in it and drive, then hauled them out when you were done. Luckily it didn't have a locking steering column, because prototype.

25 years later, Tesla is doing this poo poo on purpose.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Dip Viscous posted:

I get my second dose of Moderna vaccine on Friday. The first dose gave me zero problems at all, not even a sore arm. Within a couple of hours, I couldn't even see the spot they'd injected it at. This has me convinced that the second dose is going to completely obliterate the poo poo out of me.

I got just about everyone in my office vaccinated, all Moderna except one Pfizer, and of that limited sample size we had one person run a mild fever after the second dose. Almost everyone noticed increased soreness on the second one but that makes no sense, medically - I suspect it was a function of the injection as everyone who reported soreness also reported bleeding on the little bandaid. I wouldn't stress about it.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They're tremendously inexperienced and also value aesthetic over all else. If they built a shirt factory it would have one exit the size of a doggy door so the building looked seamless and cool from the outside.

I think I've heard this one before...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

It's been 10 minutes and my cell reception hasn't improved. Do I really have to wait 2 weeks for the full effect?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean this is the same company that BBQd some poor SOB because they dont have mechanical door latches in the back.

gently caress just doing mechanical backups.

Pyrotechnic bolts and a nice red button please.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Mambo No. 5 posted:

It's been 10 minutes and my cell reception hasn't improved. Do I really have to wait 2 weeks for the full effect?

Been more than two weeks for me, but I live in the middle of nowhere.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Currently in a funk but is it from shot #2 yesterday? Is it from being unable to fall asleep till 3am? Is it I only fell asleep because of a glug of NyQuil?

Who knows but I want the day to be over!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I had some severe restlessness on shot #1 and it absolutely messed up my sleep cycle for a week.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The VVitchfinder General of the Colony of Maſſachuſettſ Bay posted:

VVretched ſinners:
Thy Petitions hath borne fruit; all me ſermons novv bear SUB-TITLES, for the edification of all thoſe Cretinous Folk vvho cannot comprehend the proper pronunciation of the Engliſh Language.
Re-vvatch me ſermons (for I vvill ſoon be vvith thee again): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwCiRao53J1zMhSGF0NGXittf0fo3QSJA
GOD in his MERCY protect thee.
W.F.G.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I acyclovir like Atun-Shei Films. He did a Q&A on N. Range's (I can't remember his first name, or maybe he just goes by his first initial?) YouTube channel not long ago. Oh, and "acyclovir" is the word my phone's keyboard thought I meant to swipe-type instead of "actually."

Anyway... my Ford Escape goes in for elective surgery Monday. I'm having them install the trailer hitch and wiring harness, because it turns out that sometimes, pulling a trailer is cheaper than renting a truck to bring home big stuff from Home Depot. Also, it'll let us look at pop-up campers, better bike carriers, etc.

Edit: On a whim, I looked up "acyclovir." Holy poo poo. Swipe type routinely fails to understand some common words, and its guesses are usually close. Who are these people who are looking up that word so often that Google or Samsung made sure that it would easily pop up for sloppy typists?

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 14, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Yay, my modem is making GBS threads itself again.

The new one should be here by seven. Then its time for my second favorite activity, setting up a Comcast wireless network!

Why only the second favorite? Because first place is always taken by configuring an HP printer to work wirelessly! Wanna know a secret? Ive never been able to do it!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Yay, my modem is making GBS threads itself again.

The new one should be here by seven. Then its time for my second favorite activity, setting up a Comcast wireless network!

Why only the second favorite? Because first place is always taken by configuring an HP printer to work wirelessly! Wanna know a secret? Ive never been able to do it!

HP printer drivers are an unholy onion of every past printer's drivers wrapped in layers of only occasionally functional code

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Most people like this just pay someone to spank them in a seedy club. You're taking this way too far.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When I was in college, I had one of those Quicksilver Mac towers for video editing. It was a monster at the time. 933 MHz of Motorola power!

I had to get a printer. I got an HP. The drivers hosed up my machine so badly it took twenty minutes to open a Word document. Apple Care told me Id have to completely format it, but Id lose all my projects and school work. HP told me their drivers had an issue with my Mac, and their next patch would resolve it. In THREE god damned months.

HP turned my beastly video editing 2002 Mac into a shiny paperweight with drivers apparently coded by a dyslexic toddler.. I loving hate them so much.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My wireless HP printer works fine. We can even print from our phones.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Brother printers are the only printers worth having for a home setting. My mind will not be changed on this.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tangy yet delightful posted:

Brother printers are the only printers worth having for a home setting. My mind will not be changed on this.

Agreed. I've got a wireless Brother laser printer and it's been a workhorse. Great print quality, great reliability, easy networking.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

Agreed. I've got a wireless Brother laser printer and it's been a workhorse. Great print quality, great reliability, easy networking.

god yes they are such great printers.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Same here. No bother with Brothers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

poo poo, they're the only printer we're buying at work. We just stopped leasing (for like 10k a year) this sharp thing for some brother MFD that cost us $1400. It already works better, faster, and has fewer errors than the loving sharp thing that cost 10 times more.

If we have to buy a new one every 3 months we'd STILL be saving money and have a better printer.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
buttsex?

Got a camping gear question , I'll post this over in the TGO gear thread also but I trust strangers I know more than strangers I don't.

I'm looking to upgrade my sleeping bag, as my current one is denim with a red paisley lining that, while rad as hell, is older than me and not really cutting it anymore.

I generally car camp, so weight / size isn't a huge factor. I'm usually in a tent with a cot or air mattress in the spring or late summer/ early fall. I also go to a deer camp once a year for opening weekend, and usually end up on a bunk in a cabin there. I also try and get my wife out once a year, usually spring before it gets too hot. In that case we take the big tent and a queen air mattress.

The vast majority of my camping is in south / central Texas, and while it occasionally gets cold, especially during deer season, I haven't intentionally camped in temps below 40F in years.

With all that said, and knowing the temp ratings for sleeping bags aren't super accurate, I'm thinking a more modern 30 or 40F rated bag will probably do the trick. I know they've fallen out of favor compared to mummy style bags, but I'd prefer a rectangular bag I can unzip and use as a comforter when the wife and I go camping together. I figure since I'm always taking my car I can add a liner and an extra blanket if I think it'll be a cold one at the deer camp.

There is a large Cabelas very near me, and have a $100 gc I can use towards this. The house brand is so cheap I don't trust it at, and their heartier Mountain Trapper line seems like over kill for my needs. They also carry Ascend and Kelty, but outside of reading reviews on Amazon I'm not really sure where to start.

I'm also willing to not buy from Cabela's if everything they have sucks, but I'd like to try and stay below $150, and closer to a bill if I can. Any recommendations? Should I just buy a good mummy bag and takes an actual quilt when the wife comes with?

Hayden fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 14, 2021

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

infrared35 posted:

Yes

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hayden posted:

There is a large Cabelas very near me, and have a $100 gc I can use towards this. The house brand is so cheap I don't trust it at, and their heartier Mountain Trapper line seems like over kill for my needs. They also carry Ascend and Kelty, but outside of reading reviews on Amazon I'm not really sure where to start.

I'm also willing to not buy from Cabela's if everything they have sucks, but I'd like to try and stay below $1500, and closer to a bill if I can. Any recommendations? Should I just buy a good mummy bag and takes an actual quilt when the wife comes with?

The house brand at Cabela's should be fine for what you're describing, especially since you're up off the ground, which tends to be the biggest enemy of body heat. And, I've only ever used the rectangular sleeping bags, although I haven't bought one in 20+ years. We recently got rid of ours because they were so old, and we just use some Walmart-grade comforters now because we only camp in the warm weather. I live in a place where it gets really cold in the winter, but I haven't gone cold weather camping in forever.

I love the old rectangular ones. They are OK down to some pretty cool weather, and you can unzip them or even open them if it gets too warm. You don't have to get the absolute cheapest you find, but being too warm is a thing, and it makes you sweat, and then you're trying to sleep in a sweat-soaked sack. It's just as miserable as being too cold.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

HURRAY the rear end in a top hat mouse is back!

Mice are a big pain in the sick when you cant physically steel wool to nooks and crannies of the house. So gonna call a loving exterminator this summer.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

As insane as it sounds, the only time I've gotten an HP printer to work 100% correctly, wireless and all, was under Linux. For Linux, HP just makes a single driver package for every printer ever called HPLIP and it's one command to add a network printer.

Brother is even better though, just plug it in and it works.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Speaking as someone who has multiple service qualifications on HP printers and has spent hundreds of hours supporting them, y'all are probably just bad at printers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nipponophile posted:

Speaking as someone who has multiple service qualifications on HP printers and has spent hundreds of hours supporting them, y'all are probably just bad at printers.

The HP enterprise stuff has always worked well for me. The consumer stuff has always made me miserable.

I replaced my Brother laser printer with a great Epson that has big ink tanks you refill via a big squeezy bottle. It's done good for me so far (though I'm not printing tons of text like when I was in school, kids homeschool stuff is better in color)

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Dip Viscous posted:

As insane as it sounds, the only time I've gotten an HP printer to work 100% correctly, wireless and all, was under Linux. For Linux, HP just makes a single driver package for every printer ever called HPLIP and it's one command to add a network printer.

Brother is even better though, just plug it in and it works.

I needed a printer/scanner combo immediately after moving to my current area and the only option I could find that was available locally was an HP.
Somehow, I managed to find the one HP model that had known issues running in Linux.
You know things are going to be bad when hour 3 of installation involves installing an earlier version of Python.
(It works fine with my current Windows system, though.)

I will definitely get a Brother when this thing eventually dies.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

All my bastard HP printers were low end consumer models. Which doesn't excuse one turning my Mac into a brick in the early 00's. Right now, I'm using an HP that works. Unless you want wireless printing.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.

When I worked at Dell in 2008-2009, we were heavily graded on margin (profit.) Which meant you couldn't just sell the cheap comp of the week and keep your job. A good margin number, out of your total sales, was 15%. If you had a sale with that number, you were happy. Monitors and other peripherals had more margin, but you sold less of them.

Except printers.

From the rock bottom $149 machine to the $2500 major office printer, their margin ran from 70% to 91%.

I cannot verify it from any other place in the industry throughout any other time. But those numbers really helped in sink in that the entire printer line was cobbled together garbage meant to sell ink.

(The ink was +90% margin, too!)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

canyoneer posted:

The HP enterprise stuff has always worked well for me. The consumer stuff has always made me miserable.

Thats a fair point. We have a lot of big HPs at work on the hard-wired network and theyre fine.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hubris.

Just like people who don't hardwire E-Stops and instead run them through PLCs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I shall deliver ye forthwith unto the magistrate assembled in the shire in which ye dwell.

The VVitchfinder General is an amazing character, and the accent is just wonderful.

ScrubbingBubbles
Feb 11, 2009

BeAuMaN posted:

Hubris.

Just like people who don't hardwire E-Stops and instead run them through PLCs.

Holy poo poo. This is legal for something that needs an E-stop? Jesus.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I worked on a machine like that once. Whenever there was a brownout all of the controls, including e-stops, would quit working for about 30 seconds even if the machine kept running.

We're talking 170 yard long textile machine by the way, not some pissant lathe or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Have to remember, its a microsoft product.

It'll be the 2 week wait after the updated updated updates get the update to allow for proper updated updating.