Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

ScrubbingBubbles posted:

Holy poo poo. This is legal for something that needs an E-stop? Jesus.
Yeah. I mean any good installer would understand that PLCs offer many benefits but when people are at risk of being maimed or killed that it's best not to leave that kind of relief to the whims of the complexities of a logic box, whether it fails mechanically or through some scenario whoever programmed it didn't think up. I never really worked out in the field so I went off stories I had in school, so I couldn't say how prevalent E-Stops being wired to PLCs is, but they do most certainly exist and it is (or was) an ongoing debate within the installer community.

Dip Viscous posted:

I worked on a machine like that once. Whenever there was a brownout all of the controls, including e-stops, would quit working for about 30 seconds even if the machine kept running.

We're talking 170 yard long textile machine by the way, not some pissant lathe or something.

One wrong brownout and OSHA will own that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Too big of a company to get hit, unfortunately, even with constant injuries and dozens of whistleblowers. When I tried to point out things to an OSHA inspector he turned around and walked off.

Bonus points: the displays that showed us what was going on in the PLC were driven by a separate computer... one running Windows 2k3 (!?!?) on a Pentium II. So brownouts would also leave us "flying blind" for about 15 minutes while it booted. Is the line running at the correct speed for us to safely perform this routine check? Who knows!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Captain Log posted:

HURRAY the rear end in a top hat mouse is back!

Mice are a big pain in the sick when you canít physically steel wool to nooks and crannies of the house. So gonna call a loving exterminator this summer.

If you didn't have a bird, I'd say try cat pee. Apparently it's a really good deterrent for mice, but it only works if they're unfamiliar with a location. If you introduce it to an environment where they already feel safe/have already secured food, it won't make them leave. But if they're presented with a choice of 'place that might have food but smells like feline death' or 'place that smells like food', they'll go elsewhere.

Apparently feline urine can induce a fear response in rodents ( and I think birds? ) that have never even encountered them, which is pretty neat.

BeAuMaN posted:

One wrong brownout and OSHA will own that company.

OSHA fines are a loving joke. It's like dinging the makers of oxy for creating an opioid epidemic ( on purpose ) with a fine. Fines do not matter if they're not even a fraction of the profits.

If there's one part of the police that should be getting armored vehicles and military weapons, it's OSHA. Just drive a Bearcat into a motherfucker's office and sic dogs on him while reading out violations through an LRAD.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 14, 2021

ScrubbingBubbles
Feb 11, 2009

I meanÖ it kind of smells like death to meÖ

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

ScrubbingBubbles posted:

I meanÖ it kind of smells like death to meÖ

I just ordered a whole mess on non-kill traps. My Dad was the Rat Catcher General at the restaurant back in the day, absolutely decimating mice populations in the process. But when you have a bird who flies like a fat kid running down stairs, you cannot use kill traps in an effective manner.

The mouse being bad for the house is two fold -

- I'm 95% a mouse running around has triggered night frights in my birds. They have a strong reaction to things darting along beneath their cages.

- When a mouse runs by, your natural reaction is to jerk your feet back or jump. I cannot, but I'll still have the reflex. But if I end up jerking a leg out of the way, I will bust my rear end.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

I just ordered a whole mess on non-kill traps. My Dad was the Rat Catcher General at the restaurant back in the day, absolutely decimating mice populations in the process. But when you have a bird who flies like a fat kid running down stairs, you cannot use kill traps in an effective manner.

- I'm 95% a mouse running around has triggered night frights in my birds. They have a strong reaction to things darting along beneath their cages.

- When a mouse runs by, your natural reaction is to jerk your feet back or jump. I cannot, but I'll still have the reflex. But if I end up jerking a leg out of the way, I will bust my rear end.

Take a look at Mousetrap Mondays on YouTube for some of the fall traps that can be configured for live catch or kill. A lot of them just have you either omit or add water to a bucket to release or drown caught rodents.
I think those would only be a safety issue for pets if you either don't check them regularly or a rodent gets in after your pet is stuck, and I can't imagine a bird in a bucket not making a noticable amount of screeching noises.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

OSHA fines are a loving joke. It's like dinging the makers of oxy for creating an opioid epidemic ( on purpose ) with a fine. Fines do not matter if they're not even a fraction of the profits.

If there's one part of the police that should be getting armored vehicles and military weapons, it's OSHA. Just drive a Bearcat into a motherfucker's office and sic dogs on him while reading out violations through an LRAD.
OSHA fines usually matter if there's a catastrophic maiming or death, though as Dip points out if the outfit is too large then they can absorb the fines and/or they might have someone paid off (and probably have flesh eating lawyers). Locally there was an almond huller (place that processes almonds) where someone was working on one of the de-shelling machines. They went and locked and tagged out the machine, went into the hopper, and started working on it. Of course, it ends up that actually the building wasn't wired properly, and the breaker didn't completely disable all controls to the device, so someone turned it on from somewhere else in the facility, and the guy gets sucked through screaming; someone shuts it off after a minute or two but by that point the machine had pulled him in and chewed him up to his waist; died from blood loss a few minutes later.

That place got owned by OSHA (and accompanying lawsuit from next of kin). Went out of Business afaik.

This was the story that our instructor told as to the reason why you need to disassemble part of the drive mechanism so that the machine's drive is mechanically unable to engage, whether that's removing the drive belt or what-have-you before working on it, since who knows if the building is properly wired. Early on his career he actually lost out on a couple jobs because the employer told him not to do that and he refused to proceed unless he was able to do that first.

Dip Viscous posted:

Too big to OSHA

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

OSHA, eh?

First, let me start by saying that while they are next to worthless, they're only next to worthless. Without them around, things would be truly dangerous and there'd be gently caress-all anyone could do about it. Labor unions wouldn't be able to help nowadays, what with sates incentivizing companies to pull up stakes from the states where they've had a long-time union workforce and move to states where minimum wage is A-OK. (Get hosed, Olin and Mississippi. hosed in the least pleasant way possible. And then get hosed again.)

Anyway, about 20 years ago, my brother was living with my dad up near Bloomington, IL. He had graduated high school and went up there with pops, who had a job at Diamond Star Motors. Bro-T got a job at one of many auto-adjacent factories. They made brake lines.

One day, he's working on a machine that bends a line into a certain shape or something, and for the trillionth time, it malfunctions. What he'd been taught was turn the machine off, reach in, pull out the jammed piece, discard it, restart the machine, allow it to cycle, and then move to the next piece. Or something like that. The point is, the machine did this all the time, and they had a method of dealing with it that had never failed. Well, Bro-T shuts it down, reaches in, and it decides that this time, it can try to complete the cycle with my brother's right hand inside. The shut down thingamabob was faulty. Adding to the fun, my brother was the only one on shift who knew how all the controls worked, and he could not reach the controls, what with his hand being squeezed by the machine. Verbal instructions to clueless coworkers and supervisors didn't work. They eventually settled on allowing the machine to complete the cycle WITH MY BROTHER'S HAND INSIDE OF IT, at which point it would release. And that "worked."

A horrific injury (which the doctors wouldn't let him even look at), a flown-in hand surgeon (that is an actual specialty), several surgeries and pins, months of physical therapy, and a standard settlement (there's a standard settlement for nearly every industrial injury) later, what happened? A minor fine from OHSA that my brother could have paid himself, and the permanent fix: a metal tube was installed next to the machine, and into this tube was placed a very long steel crowbar. Problem solved!

(Don't worry about Bro-T. He regained mostly full use of his hand, and if you don't know what to look for, you might not notice that it's not 100% normal. I was even in a band with him for a few years. He can play guitar and, presumably, do other fun things with his right hand. It's all cool. And he got a top-tier PRS out of the deal.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The fines are hilariously small. Oh, your machine tore the scalp off an employee? Mistakes happen, we get it, $5k fine please.
Turned a worker's arms into taffy with 20,000 psi of force, after being warned several times to correct the unsafe environment? We're gonna throw the book at you, for a princely sum of $80k!!!! Consider yourself lucky, that's only 60% of the maximum fine we are allowed by law to levy.

The good thing that OSHA fines do is provide some good ammunition for the death and dismemberment civil suits

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

What I have learned from many OSHA videos is that if there is something wrong with a machine, especially a big machine:

1. Never go into it, not even if it's locked and tagged out. Not unless there's someone you trust with your life with a pistol standing by the controls, ready to shoot any idiot that touches it.
2. If it spins or grinds never reach into poo poo.
3. Sometimes plants will just kill you because RNG poo poo.

At an old, old job, someone got a horrific burn before I came onto the site. It's been ten years or so, and so I'm fuzzy on the exact details. It was just routine bullshit, checking pipes. But something caused some melted chemical salt poo poo to adhere to the inside of the pipe after production stopped.

While the guy was examining the pipe, the cooling salt came loose because ??? and hit the bend near the bottom of the pipe. The impact caused it to turn into powder, releasing all the hot salt in the center and blasting it out in a cloud of scalding vapor. He had a bad time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

We have smart phones and Netflix to distract us from the fact that we are living through one of the worst times for labor in modern history. While modern day obviously beats working in a Victorian Era textile factory, I do think history will look back on quality of life for the working class of this era with a

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

My favorite hazard of big machines is that rotating equipment which spins at an integer multiple of the flicker rate of overhead lighting (so, for example, if your lights flicker at 60 Hz US mains frequency and your machine spins at 60 Hz [3600 RPM]) your terrifying, spinning death machine will look like it's perfectly stationary and safe to touch.

All of my appendages hurt just thinking about it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Captain Log posted:

We have smart phones and Netflix to distract us from the fact that we are living through one of the worst times for labor in modern history. While modern day obviously beats working in a Victorian Era textile factory, I do think history will look back on quality of life for the working class of this era with a

We've exported our hellish textile mills overseas and in their place erected meat grinders in the form of outsourced, low skill content moderation companies for the likes of Facebook and Twitter. Call center work, especially for women, can be similarly brutal with the number of perverts that call all sorts of customer service and crisis helpline numbers to masturbate to a stranger's voice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

Call center work, especially for women, can be similarly brutal with the number of perverts that call all sorts of customer service and crisis helpline numbers to masturbate to a stranger's voice.

Well, I thought I had a handle on how bad that call center poo poo can be, but here we are.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In less soul crushingly depressing news I'm now 15 days out from shot number two and drinking a few beers in my living room to pre-game for going to (the outdoor seating at) a bar with my wife for the first time in motherfucking fifteen months, after which we will go to (the outdoor seating at) one of our favorite restaurants for, again, the first time in loving fifteen months.

That restaurant is also the last place we ate at in the Before Times, in the long long ago.

edit: jokes aside, this is already feeling weird. I haven't eaten outside my house in loving forever, and the vast, vast majority of the poo poo we've eaten has been cooked ourselves becasue restaurant take out is just kinda . . . meh.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Fearless posted:

Call center work, especially for women, can be similarly brutal with the number of perverts that call all sorts of customer service and crisis helpline numbers to masturbate to a stranger's voice.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fearless posted:

We've exported our hellish textile mills overseas and in their place erected meat grinders in the form of outsourced, low skill content moderation companies for the likes of Facebook and Twitter. Call center work, especially for women, can be similarly brutal with the number of perverts that call all sorts of customer service and crisis helpline numbers to masturbate to a stranger's voice.

Jesus H. Christ, I never thought of that.

In other news, I got my internet sorted. I don't think this is bad for a wireless connection through a VPN -

But in dumb assed "EVERYTHING IS AN APP!!!" news - I have an Xfinity App for our account, then a separate app for our security system.

To install the new modem/gateway/who cares, I had to download another loving app. I now have three apps for my Xfinity bullshit. They want me to download another to configure our new remote, which doesn't want to work for poo poo.

I hate this God drat "There's an app (well, six separate apps that don't talk to each other) for that!" computer infrastructure. I miss being able to do things without a new app download, new account sign up, new sign in information, configuration in a new app, etc. etc. etc. loving etc.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, I thought I had a handle on how bad that call center poo poo can be, but here we are.

My ex-girlfriend worked for a call center that did a form of text to speech for the deaf. They weren't allowed ( legally ) to hang up. Guess what people called to do, often.

There's a whole lot of things that are real bad for women in American society, especially women in the service industry. And if they speak up, which is a big if, they're often punished.

At my job alone, we have at least one guy that makes many of the women deeply uncomfortable. He isn't necessarily sexual. He's just a lonely guy with a weird vibe. They literally hide from him. When I asked a manager why they didn't do anything, it's, "well, we can't ban every weird person from the store". So they just let the people hide instead of confronting him, because this is retail. I'm not sure they'd even bad a customer if they ND'd in the store.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cyrano4747 posted:

In less soul crushingly depressing news I'm now 15 days out from shot number two and drinking a few beers in my living room to pre-game for going to (the outdoor seating at) a bar with my wife for the first time in motherfucking fifteen months, after which we will go to (the outdoor seating at) one of our favorite restaurants for, again, the first time in loving fifteen months.

That restaurant is also the last place we ate at in the Before Times, in the long long ago.

edit: jokes aside, this is already feeling weird. I haven't eaten outside my house in loving forever, and the vast, vast majority of the poo poo we've eaten has been cooked ourselves becasue restaurant take out is just kinda . . . meh.

I read "shot" as being a shot of alcohol and thought this was a very weird way to announce you fell off the wagon. Then I realized I was dumb.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My ex-girlfriend worked for a call center that did a form of text to speech for the deaf. They weren't allowed ( legally ) to hang up. Guess what people called to do, often.
My ex volunteered for a rape crisis line for years. She got to hear lots of hosed up rape fantasies from dude callers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

There's a whole lot of things that are real bad for women in American society, especially women in the service industry. And if they speak up, which is a big if, they're often punished.

At my job alone, we have at least one guy that makes many of the women deeply uncomfortable. He isn't necessarily sexual. He's just a lonely guy with a weird vibe. They literally hide from him. When I asked a manager why they didn't do anything, it's, "well, we can't ban every weird person from the store". So they just let the people hide instead of confronting him, because this is retail. I'm not sure they'd even bad a customer if they ND'd in the store.

Word. Iíve got female family who work in financial services and yeah.

Like, off the top of my head, old dudes saying to refer them to a male colleague because they donít discuss finances with girlies (not women) is the daily who cares bills but.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 14, 2021

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

1. Never go into it, not even if it's locked and tagged out. Not unless there's someone you trust with your life with a pistol standing by the controls, ready to shoot any idiot that touches it.
2. If it spins or grinds never reach into poo poo.
3. Sometimes plants will just kill you because RNG poo poo.

I had to reach in to the mast of a 2 stage tow motor today to get some crap out and even knowing I had it all safe and secure the old freight manager part of my brain was screaming at me. We had a dock worker decades ago reach through the mast to push a trailer door open and partially amputated his arm when he slipped (never mind the rear end chewing he probably would have received bumping the door open with the forks). Lock out tag out is only as effective as it is enforced.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The other issue is that mental health or crisis help lines are often confidential and anonymous so there is no caller data tracked or recorded at all unless the caller chooses to identify themselves. These perverts (and they are 99.9999% male) are often very repetitive and will call often once they identify a line where they can get away with it. Customer service lines often record phone numbers, so persistent callers can be identified and charged with various forms of criminal harassment, but the lines set up to help the most vulnerable do not have that ability. The best that can be done is to empower the front-line staff to immediately disengage once they figure out that they're talking to and to provide lots of down-time and CISM-based debriefing afterwards. The poor souls being fed into the maws of the social media moderation mills don't even get that, as I understand.

The folks that believe that our society does not have deeply entrenched issues with the way women are treated need to take a turn as a crisis response volunteer. They'll learn, and quickly.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I work for a large federal agency that's part of a cabinet-level department.

We tremble at the news of OSHA paying a visit.

Every time OSHA shows up, something gets shut down or we get fined. Management won't say how much the fines are but they seem substantial, based on management's abject terror at OSHA showing up and how hard they crack down on everyone for everything afterward.

We've had to shut down our indoor shooting range because the noise hazard signs weren't the right size.

We've had to shut down our indoor shooting range because we weren't legally allowed to dispose of spent casings (lead hazard).

We've had to shut down our indoor shooting range because we didn't have a HEPA-rated shop vac. We didn't have a shop vac and had no use for one, but apparently it's an OSHA requirement.

We've had to shut down our indoor shooting range because we were missing an MSDS sheet for one of the dozens of cleaning products we had on hand at the time.

We've had to stop shooting shotguns in our indoor range because apparently a dozen people shooting ten slugs each a year is a bigger lead exposure hazard than eighty people shooting a thousand rounds each a year of pistol ammo.

We had to discontinue the use of brooms in the range for cleanup because they "kick up too much lead". Meanwhile, we're stuck using big rubber squeegees on the floor, and they vibrate when you push them around which is super annoying, and seems like it would kick up just as much lead as a broom. And they do a crappy job of sweeping up, so there's more potentially lead-contaminated crap lying around on the floor (powder residue, bits of paper targets, shell casings, etc.).

We've had to shut down our indoor shooting range because the government forgot to hire a lead removal contractor to clean out the bullet traps.

We've had to shut down our indoor shooting range because the hired contractor did not show up at the agreed-upon frequency.

We've had to shut down our indoor shooting range because the hired contractor did not perform OSHA-approved testing after range cleaning.

We've had to shut down our indoor shooting range because the there was noise-abatement egg crate foam on the walls from the firing line to about seven yards downrange, and it was thought to be trapping lead dust. Then we had to stop in the middle of tearing the foam out because OSHA said that tearing it out presented a greater lead exposure hazard than leaving it up. To this day it's still half torn out.

And we've had to shut down our large scale x-ray machines because the folks who do traffic control in and out of them weren't specifically trained on controlling traffic for a new machine that we got... despite there being virtually no difference in how traffic was handled in and out.

I'm sure there's more that I'm not privy to; these just happened in areas where I happened to work.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

The poor souls being fed into the maws of the social media moderation mills don't even get that, as I understand.

This really canít be understated.

Like, moderating you bunch of degenerates is the lowest of low stakes in that crap but even then Iíve had a lot of really heavy stuff dumped in my lap out of nowhere.

Which, let me make it clear, isnít something I feel bad or resentful over. If anyone wants someone to talk to PM me or check the mental health thread. But it wasnít exactly on the job description and Iíd be lying if I said it wasnít a fucker of a learning curve. And there are things I still think about now and again today.

Now being some poor rear end in a top hat contractor fielding gore and child porn reports on Facebook for communities you donít care about and minimum wage?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like, moderating you bunch of degenerates is the lowest of low stakes in that crap

Let me be super explicit because I feel awkward but this is the online moderation version of someone who was in the navy reserve in the 90s and deployed to Lake Michigan talking about falluja/kandahar PTSD.

Iíve done a tiny bit of that job and it makes me very aware of how insane some of the truly hair raising stories Iíve heard are.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Let me be super explicit because I feel awkward but this is the online moderation version of someone who was in the navy reserve in the 90s and deployed to Lake Michigan talking about falluja/kandahar PTSD.

Iíve done a tiny bit of that job and it makes me very aware of how insane some of the truly hair raising stories Iíve heard are.

Yeah, my career is currently focused in remote mental healthcare delivery and this particular line of work can grind down skilled practitioners. My colleagues and myself have been exposed to some horrifying things regularly and we have generally very good support and leadership that genuinely does care about its staff and works to provide better support continually. Throwing folks into this kind of role with minimal training and support, and then timing their bathroom breaks is a heinous thing to do to another human being.

The flip side is in my line of work you can also be party to some incredible success stories-- my team has helped break up multiple human trafficking rings for instance and getting a thank you from law enforcement for helping to initiate cases like that is a hell of a validation.

All that being said, never, ever minimize your experience Cyrano (or Somebody, or whatever other mod/IK happens to read this). I can easily believe that the mods and admins get put into some pretty frightening positions that aren't openly discussed (nor should they be, out of respect to those involved).

Fearless fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 15, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Throughout my life, I tend to be the guy who people lean on with things they don't discuss with other folks.

I literally cannot think of a woman I'm close with, including loving family, that doesn't have stories about sexual harassment and oftentimes rape. It's hard to comprehend, because it's loving everyone I know. Everyone.

Hearing about people being perverts on loving crisis lines is just a new loving low I'd never even considered.

----------------

Unrelated Side Picture - This is me, laying in bed trying to check the forums on my phone.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

birb want skritches now

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

infrared35 posted:

Federal Agencies are not too big to OSHA
According to OSHA's pamphlet (pg 8) they can't fine federal agencies, but the head of federal agencies are held responsible for violations. I'm not sure what that exactly means in a legal sense but apparently heads will roll if it happens!

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I hate this God drat "There's an app (well, six separate apps that don't talk to each other) for that!" computer infrastructure. I miss being able to do things without a new app download, new account sign up, new sign in information, configuration in a new app, etc. etc. etc. loving etc.

I'm getting so annoyed by this that I've consdiered spinning up temporary subdomains on my vanity domain with a forward, just so that I can register for various bullshit, confirm the email address, and then delete the MX record.

I want your company communications with me to cost money, you spamming bastards!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

IR35 I think you are supposed to use your HEPA shop vac for the range cleanup that you formerly did with the broom.

Also my guess is a federal agency won't take OSHA to court with lawyers to challenge their findings. But maybe I'm wrong there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Saw a great bumper sticker today from one of the locals. Said "EAT MORE VEG 'AINA"
Aina being the Hawaiian word for "food". It was on a Subaru, so they're breaking no stereotypes here.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

If the weather holds and if I don't get too awful drunk tonight, maybe I'll bust out some 22's tomorrow at the ol' rifle range.

I've noticed that some ammo prices have ticked down just in the last few weeks. A month or two ago, I could scarcely find .223 at much less than a dollar a round, unless I wanted to buy a tonne of Tula. I "scored" some brass .223 at the "paltry" price of 63Ę per round. Almost makes me want to shoot.

But mainly, I'm excited because at one online shop, I found not only .357 magnum made by Norma, which is OK for range ammo, but also .358 Norma Magnum. I ordered 1,000 rounds, because I love .357 magnum, and .358 is one more! And it's made by Norma? gently caress yeah!

GOOD DECISIONS.

Now to try to finish this wonderful two by four of Labatt Max Ice.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Yeah I've noticed a lot of alerts for ammo coming through recently so it looks like some of the shortage is easing

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah I've noticed a lot of alerts for ammo coming through recently so it looks like some of the shortage is easing

I actually saw 10mm, 38sp, 6.5CM, .300 Blackout, 12 gauge buckshot, 12 gauge hunting loads, some specialty .223 etc. at my LGS today.
Overpriced, but available in person, so that was wild.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If you didn't have a bird, I'd say try cat pee. Apparently it's a really good deterrent for mice, but it only works if they're unfamiliar with a location. If you introduce it to an environment where they already feel safe/have already secured food, it won't make them leave. But if they're presented with a choice of 'place that might have food but smells like feline death' or 'place that smells like food', they'll go elsewhere.

Apparently feline urine can induce a fear response in rodents ( and I think birds? ) that have never even encountered them, which is pretty neat

Captain Log posted:

Go to a pet store and ask if they've got any snake droppings. You can't smell it, but rodents sure can.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

So Iím eligible for a promotion at amazon I should be a shoe in for and itís all stuff I did for amazon before.

I want to take it just to have some more oomph to implement the safety programs I want to but Iím still always worried theyíre going to convert me to their bullshit, especially if I move up.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So Iím eligible for a promotion at amazon I should be a shoe in for and itís all stuff I did for amazon before.

I want to take it just to have some more oomph to implement the safety programs I want to but Iím still always worried theyíre going to convert me to their bullshit, especially if I move up.

You being clued in to begin with might help prevent the programming from taking root, maybe?

Any of y'all know much about minimalist wallets? I need to swap out my bulky old leather one for something not so drat thick. Currently looking at these:

https://www.trayvax.com/collections/wallets-all/products/original-2-0?variant=13618690981963

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At least you have the best loving avatar in the universe.

poo poo, and the text below.

Does life feel worthwhile to you?

Does life feel worthwhile to you?

HERE'S HOW TO ORDER!

Everybody who doesn't intrinsically know what I'm talking about, click the link and watch until the end. BTW, these kinds of intense intros is how you should begin albums. And this is why albums are awesome and streaming sucks. Change my mind. (Spoiler alert: you can't.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGrKDzvhtvE

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 15, 2021