Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ugly In The Morning - a lot of power in america comes from money and corporate positions. Take all you can and become a class traitor and/or whistleblower! Or an equally valid option is to not work for them if you can find something else of course.

Capn Beeb posted:

You being clued in to begin with might help prevent the programming from taking root, maybe?

Any of y'all know much about minimalist wallets? I need to swap out my bulky old leather one for something not so drat thick. Currently looking at these:

https://www.trayvax.com/collections/wallets-all/products/original-2-0?variant=13618690981963
I used a koyono slimmy for about 14 years. Just a week ago I bought another wallet from a new small business for a change so I can't comment on its longevity but the koyono slimmy I'd recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Capn Beeb posted:

You being clued in to begin with might help prevent the programming from taking root, maybe?

Any of y'all know much about minimalist wallets? I need to swap out my bulky old leather one for something not so drat thick. Currently looking at these:

https://www.trayvax.com/collections/wallets-all/products/original-2-0?variant=13618690981963

If you want to go ultrathin and stick with leather, the Serman Brands stuff is extremely thin and they have a few different options. I've had one for a couple years and am very happy with it, but it doesn't carry as many cards as the one you linked. With 8 cards and 4 bills in it currently, it is just under 1/2" thick.

If you want one of the more techy (dunno a better term) wallets, a couple friends use the Ridge and are happy with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

tangy yet delightful posted:

Ugly In The Morning - a lot of power in america comes from money and corporate positions. Take all you can and become a class traitor and/or whistleblower! Or an equally valid option is to not work for them if you can find something else of course.

I own a business that does drug and alcohol testing for safety sensitive jobs. I donít have to work for a living but I also canít not. I do overpay the gently caress out of the people that work for me- the first time someone got a check and sent me a photo of the swing set he bought his kid with it, I was loving delighted.

I love my work, I hate my job. I basically work for amazon because I need a challenge but I can never tell if Iím pushing myself too far.

E:Hell, last year I wrote Bechtel Corporationís pandemic policy solo

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 15, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

At least you have the best loving avatar in the universe.

poo poo, and the text below.

Does life feel worthwhile to you?

Does life feel worthwhile to you?

HERE'S HOW TO ORDER!

Everybody who doesn't intrinsically know what I'm talking about, click the link and watch until the end. BTW, these kinds of intense intros is how you should begin albums. And this is why albums are awesome and streaming sucks. Change my mind. (Spoiler alert: you can't.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGrKDzvhtvE

Every may or so I start listening to FNM constantly and I donít know why.

also king for a day is a better album than Angel Dust but AD has better songs.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

15 hours in from my second dose of Moderna and it looks like I'm once again going to get away without experiencing any adverse effects.

I've clearly been given placebo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain Log, Iím now listening to here and there episodes of Behind the Bastards and I dunno if I should thank you for the recommendation or just be upset.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Capn Beeb posted:

I use an Allett, which is made from sail cloth (the modern thin and light stuff, not heavy canvas). I've had my current one for over a decade.

https://www.all-ett.com/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Jesus, a year ago ish is when I got a bunch of straight up death threats from a dude with an attempted murder rap that suuuper wanted me dead.

He died in July and I couldnít sleep without a loaded gun at hand til like November.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I own a business that does drug and alcohol testing for safety sensitive jobs. I donít have to work for a living but I also canít not. I do overpay the gently caress out of the people that work for me- the first time someone got a check and sent me a photo of the swing set he bought his kid with it, I was loving delighted.

I love my work, I hate my job. I basically work for amazon because I need a challenge but I can never tell if Iím pushing myself too far.

E:Hell, last year I wrote Bechtel Corporationís pandemic policy solo
I'm reading this and thinking about how you also do like podcast voice acting work and whatever the gently caress else. You definitely keep busy. I'm no advice giving expert on this but I guess since it seems your material needs are met, be sure to focus on doing things that make you happy, and I would encourage you to also find things that make you happy that don't give you any money in return. Maybe that's volunteering at a non-profit 20 hours a week, or maybe it's painting miniatures 5 hours a week, or maybe it's hiking every weekend - but seek to derive at least some of your joy from something not tied to money.

I get that you don't need the paycheck but I have a feeling, backed up by a total lack of research, that non-work happiness hits different.

edit:
and maybe you already do have a good balance of these things!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

mlmp08 posted:

Captain Log, Iím now listening to here and there episodes of Behind the Bastards and I dunno if I should thank you for the recommendation or just be upset.

A combination of the both is appropriate - like a glass of champagne mixed with vomit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm reading this and thinking about how you also do like podcast voice acting work and whatever the gently caress else. You definitely keep busy. I'm no advice giving expert on this but I guess since it seems your material needs are met, be sure to focus on doing things that make you happy, and I would encourage you to also find things that make you happy that don't give you any money in return. Maybe that's volunteering at a non-profit 20 hours a week, or maybe it's painting miniatures 5 hours a week, or maybe it's hiking every weekend - but seek to derive at least some of your joy from something not tied to money.

I get that you don't need the paycheck but I have a feeling, backed up by a total lack of research, that non-work happiness hits different.

edit:
and maybe you already do have a good balance of these things!

Iíve done full time stuff with a non profit ambulance service before while doing safety work and the company before. I usually send a decent chunk to charity outside of my hobbies of guns and computers.

I just get so goddamn bored if I donít have increasing challenges. The next thing may be racing cars.

E:its what I loved about EMS, it was never the same thing twice

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 15, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Also whatís the inverse of ďboss makes a dollar, I make a dimeĒ because I do my hiring and pay around what would make a giant difference in someoneís life. I lucked into extra money and I try to distribute at least 25 percent of revenue to the people that do the actual work

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Capn Beeb posted:

I got two recommendations for you.
One is a bifold Tyvek wallet. I have one from Mighty Wallet that I've had for.... 5 years? It is crazy thin and has held up really well. You can find one in a silly print you like for like $15. Mine has X-Wings

The other one I recommend with some reservations is the elastic band ones from thread wallet
My wife bought one for each of us, and it's great for cards but I always get annoyed using cash with it because I feel like I have to fold it a bunch to get it in. Even worse with Euro moon dollars because they aren't all the same size and boy does that bug me. She likes to travel with it, holding a single credit card and her ID attached to her keys.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have a Magpul Essential wallet that I've been really happy with and is showing zero signs of wear after over two years. It's really minimal though, just enough space for my 4 cards and 2 band-aids.

https://magpul.com/apparel-gear/gear/daka/magpul-daka-essential-wallet.html?mp_global_color=193

The embossed Magpul logo is nowhere close to as noticeable in person as it is in the photos.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I feel like I should slim my wallet down. It has 13 cards in it. I probably really only need five or six regularly -- drivers license, medical services card, bank card, credit card, extended benefits/travel insurance card, chevron rewards card. The rest of my rewards cards are already on my phone at this point.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Also what’s the inverse of “boss makes a dollar, I make a dime” because I do my hiring and pay around what would make a giant difference in someone’s life. I lucked into extra money and I try to distribute at least 25 percent of revenue to the people that do the actual work

Fair.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Also whatís the inverse of ďboss makes a dollar, I make a dimeĒ because I do my hiring and pay around what would make a giant difference in someoneís life. I lucked into extra money and I try to distribute at least 25 percent of revenue to the people that do the actual work

"I make a dollar, boss makes a dime, that's why I can escape the traditional capitalist paradigm" just doesn't rhyme as well

Good on you, you're exactly how I hope I'd react if I lucked into money. Currently I have more money than I need but not enough I can't not work, but I do try to spread it around as much as possible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

I feel like I should slim my wallet down. It has 13 cards in it. I probably really only need five or six regularly -- drivers license, medical services card, bank card, credit card, extended benefits/travel insurance card, chevron rewards card. The rest of my rewards cards are already on my phone at this point.

I have 7 cards just for work. Work ID, credit card, cash card, access card, law of armed conflict reference card, codeword card, location-specific ID card.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

BeAuMaN posted:

They went and locked and tagged out the machine, went into the hopper, and started working on it. Of course, it ends up that actually the building wasn't wired properly, and the breaker didn't completely disable all controls to the device, so someone turned it on from somewhere else in the facility,

One of AvE's videos had an anecdote of the same moral: if a machine has a lockout on it all it means is someone put a lock on it. Never trust that it made it safe. What you're working on might not actually be affected by that lockout point or there can still be energy in the system that'll gently caress you up. And energy doesn't just mean electricity. Hydraulic, pneumatic, steam, springs, gravity you all need to account for.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I have 7 cards just for work. Work ID, credit card, cash card, access card, law of armed conflict reference card, codeword card, location-specific ID card.

Codeword card. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

LoAC card: do NOT target airliners, DO not target airliners, do not TARGET airliners, do not target AIRLINERS.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

madeintaipei posted:

madeintaipei posted:

Codeword may technically be the wrong terminology. A card with a short expiration you can have at the unclass level to pass basic statuses without secure comms.

If youíre not desperate as all hell, typically limited to the equivalent of ďSend accountability reportĒ or ďget your rear end to workĒ or the like, not for detailed classified stuff.

quote:

LoAC card: do NOT target airliners, DO not target airliners, do not TARGET airliners, do not target AIRLINERS.

Har, but this one more applicable to targeting stuff/people on the ground.

Do not strike civilian stuff! If you really must in self defense, attempt to disrupt or disable, and do NOT use this as an excuse to destroy civilian structures or objects!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FAQ:
Can I shoot the goose?
Do not shoot the goose.

Can I shoot a goose if there are several together and I think I can get a bunch at once?
Do not shoot the geese.

What if I really want to?
Do not shoot the goose.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hawaii 7 Elevens are legit. So many great snacks

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

FAQ:
Can I shoot the goose?
Do not shoot the goose.

Can I shoot a goose if there are several together and I think I can get a bunch at once?
Do not shoot the geese.

What if I really want to?
Do not shoot the goose.

Once saw a soldier get in trouble for not being at appointed place of duty because he left his worksite to chase a goose with a stick.

Really.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

When I was a young child I got a ticket for chasing Geese with a Jet Ski.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I killed a goose today.

I was taking an off-ramp and the dumb fucker was right there in the middle of it. 40 MPH while in the middle of a curve isn't the place to try and swerve so . . . *whump*.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Every may or so I start listening to FNM constantly and I donít know why

I do the same thing in the fall with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Just some weird, seasonal association.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I killed a goose today.

I was taking an off-ramp and the dumb fucker was right there in the middle of it. 40 MPH while in the middle of a curve isn't the place to try and swerve so . . . *whump*.

Sorry, you're banned from Canada for three weeks. But after that, you're entitled to a free six pack of Labatt at the nearest speakeasy for your efforts in the guerilla war against the honking menace.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

We all know I love and adore birds.

But gently caress a God damned goose.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I would ask, "Why all the goose talk?", but on my way to the rifle range today, I drove by a golf course, and right there on the... I don't know, fairway or green or whatever it was, there were a couple of old farts getting out of a golf cart, and right where they were headed were somewhere between 2 to 400 geese. It was crazy.

And man, did I have a fun time at the range. I reset my scope to the center, and then I re-sighted it in. I did this when it was new in January, and during a couple of either super-cold or super-windy shooting sessions. But I have it dialed in at 50 yards very well now. Turns out, it's not hard to hold decent groups when the wind isn't blowing at 40 mph with gusts that are knocking targets over.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BTW, I stopped at the shop with the crazy ammo. They have a lot of ridiculously obsolete stuff in there at the moment.

Anyone need any of this?

Because they have it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

mlmp08 posted:

I have listened to every episode. It's pretty good.

Speaking of podcasts, I've started listening to Knowledge Fight from 0 and oh boy it's fun listening to, among other things, the Qanon thing developing. It's also fun to listen to them speculate about political things and to be like 'yeah we thought that was gonna happen, didn't tho'.

Jordan described the Trump presidency as 'the funniest thing that's ever made me want to kill myself' and yeah that's accurate.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Anyone need any of this?

I don't suppose you remember how much they wanted for it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Iíve had a hard time getting into podcasts in the past. Thereís nothing thatís grabbed me enough to just listen to it all the way through except for one, and it updates so infrequently that it might not even count as regular listening.

I want to get into it but I just donít really know where.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Nipponophile posted:

I don't suppose you remember how much they wanted for it?

Sorry, I totally forgot to check the price. I took a picture because I think I've heard one or two folks in here talk about obscure Japanese calibers.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I have listened to every episode. It's pretty good.

Speaking of podcasts, I've started listening to Knowledge Fight from 0 and oh boy it's fun listening to, among other things, the Qanon thing developing. It's also fun to listen to them speculate about political things and to be like 'yeah we thought that was gonna happen, didn't tho'.

Jordan described the Trump presidency as 'the funniest thing that's ever made me want to kill myself' and yeah that's accurate.

Knowledge Fight is an incredible podcast.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Iíve listened to every episode of Knowledge Fight. I started it when this forum helped me see that Alex Jones isnít Art Bell, but a wretched bigot.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

Sorry, I totally forgot to check the price. I took a picture because I think I've heard one or two folks in here talk about obscure Japanese calibers.

What was the Cor-Bon stuff to the left?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I think it was 4## Cor-Bon. I know of two calibers in that family, and sorry, but for some reason, I only grabbed a picture of the 6.5 Japanese. I remember thinking, "Cor-Bon? You've heard of that. But where did they even get this Japanese stuff?"

Honestly, if it wouldn't have weirded them out, I would have taken pictures of their entire ammo aisle. Seriously, it has to be seen to be believed. They have several versions of 9 mm, not of it 9 ◊ 19. There was 9 ◊ 23, 9 ◊ 18, and I think one other that I can't remember. They had numerous 32's that weren't ACP. I know I saw 32 S&W Long, I think there was 32 S&W (short), and I'm pretty sure there was 32 H&R Magnum.

With the exception of a small amount of overpriced .223, 5.56, and 22 LR, almost everything they had was in calibers ranging from "hey, I heard about that in a video" to "what the actual gently caress is this?" And a lot of it looks like it's NOS, too. Some of the obscure handgun stuff in particular looks like it might be from the 70s ore before.

Their gun case had a 1911 in 9 mm that Mrs. T is interested in. They also had a poo poo-ton of break-action revolvers on consignment, all from the same guy. They always have a bunch of revolvers, some of them used or older, but this was nuts. The guy said he wouldn't fire them until a gunsmith checked them out, which made me think, sure, I'm a dumb revolver fan, and I'd love a break-action, but do you think I'm buying one of these before I know if it's safe to fire? (With very lightly loaded, possibly black powder, handloads, of course.)

But I don't want to give the wrong impression of this store. It's an independent shop in a bigsmall town surrounded by farmland. It recently joined the yellow blob club in the Rand McNally Road Atlas. In the Beforetimes, they would have a pretty robust selection of common caliber ammo, with some of the really obscure or obsolete stuff peppered in here and there. Now, that's all that's left. And the people who run it, while conservative, don't come off as particularly chuddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I used to get everything from a small local hardware store that closed down a few years ago due to the owner's health. I went in during the clearance sale and after all of the other ammo had been picked clean, they still had something like twenty boxes of 5mm RFM. Just sitting there since the late 70s.