Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

BRB, registering this trademark

God, I don't know why that name gives me so much trouble. If it's not Duncan Donuts*, then my brain auto-corrects and I say--as in, actually say, when I'm talking about coffee--Duncan Hines. Because what else would a cake mix company do besides get into the coffee game? When I start going senile, one of the things I'll surely do after I start putting my keys in the freezer is make a delicious pot of piping hot chocolate cake mix slurry.

Oh, and get this--when I say "Duncan Hines" when I mean "Dunkin' Donuts," I am thinking "Duncan Heinz." And that's when I don't think "Dunkin' Heinz."

Wait, I just thought of a great ketchup crossover product... quick, what at Dunkin' goes great with Heinzģ brand ketchup?

* Duncan Donuts is just some guy whose family name is Donuts, and his name is Duncan, and he makes coffee, and he'd thank you very much not to confuse his name with the name of that over-hyped doughnut company.

Final Blog Entry posted:

Just got my second Moderna shot, interested to see how the next day or two go for me. Have a work dinner tonight at a high end steakhouse so I just need it to not kick my rear end until after that so I don't miss out on a free fancy meal.

That's the one that kicked my son's rear end. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I Demand Food posted:

The "industry consensus" is that Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' have Great Coffee for the price.

Deathwish is really just a gimmick and ranks right down there with Starbucks.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker personally, but I've been told that if you're going to go in on the "ultra caffeine" premise, you may as well buy from Wide Awake and at least get cute cartoon mascots out of the deal.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I've got shot Number Two coming this Friday. I am absolutely loving pumped to be fully vaccinated and cannot wait. But with how the past few weeks have gone, I'm pretty sure it may kick my rear end.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I haven't heard of them before, but I must say that those cartoon mascots are pretty darn cute.

There are a lot of gimmicks and such in coffee because it's such a high margin, high competition space. Sometimes to the point that even a gimmick needs a gimmick.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I Demand Food posted:

The "industry consensus" is that Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' have Great Coffee for the price.

Deathwish is really just a gimmick and ranks right down there with Starbucks.
The industry consensus needs to be adjusted. Dunkin has done something to their blend in the last couple years that it is now sub-gas station quality and they discontinued their actually decent dark roast for some new bullshit that is terrible.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Final Blog Entry posted:

Just got my second Moderna shot, interested to see how the next day or two go for me. Have a work dinner tonight at a high end steakhouse so I just need it to not kick my rear end until after that so I don't miss out on a free fancy meal.

If it doesn't murder your stomach keep Ibuprophen in your system. It helps a LOT with keeping the symptoms manageable.

Only "bad" window I had was when what I had taken wore off. As soon as the next dose kicked in it mitigated almost all of the symptoms.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, Ibuprofin and lots of fluid kept the worst of it in check. Plan on just vegging out on the couch for a day and sleeping for 12 hours.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

stealie72 posted:

The industry consensus needs to be adjusted. Dunkin has done something to their blend in the last couple years that it is now sub-gas station quality and they discontinued their actually decent dark roast for some new bullshit that is terrible.

They discontinued Dark Roast and replaced it with Midnight because focus groups wanted darker roasts and they introduced some other new flavors, but I hadn't heard of any changes to their coffee beans themselves.

I'd be shocked if they changed their blend because it was so highly regarded. They have gradually been replacing all of their brewing equipment so maybe that has something to do with it. There are a ton of variables that go into brewing a cup of coffee and probably a decade plus of dialing those in went out the window when they switched equipment.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I mean, Tim Hortons hosed theirs up. No reason Dunkin can't get in on the fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Iíll drink instant before I drink Dunkin. Their coffee is bad in a way I can never put my finger on.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I Demand Food posted:

They discontinued Dark Roast and replaced it with Midnight because focus groups wanted darker roasts and they introduced some other new flavors, but I hadn't heard of any changes to their coffee beans themselves.

I'd be shocked if they changed their blend because it was so highly regarded. They have gradually been replacing all of their brewing equipment so maybe that has something to do with it. There are a ton of variables that go into brewing a cup of coffee and probably a decade plus of dialing those in went out the window when they switched equipment.
Yeah, this is totally 1 guy's take, and it may just be that whoever installed the equipment near me has no idea what they're doing, but I drank their regular roast since living in Boston in the early 2000s, then went to dark roast for a long time, and went back to regular after finding the midnight gross and the regular tasted like brown dish water to me. The gas station/c-store in town just replaced their coffee machines with ones that grind and brew on demand and it's way better.

In the end, this is better for my already rockin dad bod. The gas station has terrible doughnuts, so there's no real need to get one when I get a coffee.

Akion posted:

I mean, Tim Hortons hosed theirs up. No reason Dunkin can't get in on the fun.
Funny you mention, I used to have my mom send me cans of Tim Hortons before it was widely available in the US, but man did it get crappy.

I think their Canadian stores still have decent coffee, but it's been a few years since I've been up there.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Akion posted:

Yeah, Ibuprofin and lots of fluid kept the worst of it in check. Plan on just vegging out on the couch for a day and sleeping for 12 hours.

I'm a firm believer in a healthy blend of anti-nausea meds washed down with horse painkillers.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I Demand Food posted:

I got my second Pfizer dose around noon on Sunday.

Arm got a little sore that afternoon. Headache a little later.

At midnight on the damned dot I got chills.

Oof. I had the same effects, but nowhere near that bad. Just a constant feeling of 'bleh' for a couple of days.

Gray Stormy posted:

I am picking up this Very Good Boy in two weeks.

Heck yes.

PS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6C9fRp31M

I thought I'd seen an uptick in GB scams lately. Seems I was right.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Speaking of which, one of my youtube videos got pulled for being "spam/scam". I have no idea WTF. I don't even know what the video was about, except all my videos tend to be lame hat-cam footage of mediocre range trips.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Oh... when I talk about coffee, I'm specifically talking about stuff I brew at home. I buy the Duncan Doughnuts coffee at the store. Yes, pre-ground, because I don't have a grinder.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

infrared35 posted:

Speaking of which, one of my youtube videos got pulled for being "spam/scam". I have no idea WTF. I don't even know what the video was about, except all my videos tend to be lame hat-cam footage of mediocre range trips.

There's been a spate of people abusing some of the reporting functions, one guy (aquachigger?) had his videos literally stolen by a guy in Saudi Arabia, and when he reported the theft his account was threatened for copyright infringement... of his own stolen video.

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/youtubers-account-to-be-terminated-after-another-channel-stole-his-videos-1566540/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

stealie72 posted:

I think their Canadian stores still have decent coffee, but it's been a few years since I've been up there.

After BK bought Tim's they declined to renew the exclusivity contract for the good old Tim's coffee. McDonald's Canada immediately called up the distributor so now McCafe is the old, pre-shittification Tim's.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I just assume everything on Gunbroker is a scam because I've never seen anything there that has a good price except for ancient C&R stuff (and even then only sometimes).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I bought my Ruger, KSG and DP-12 off gunbroker last summer and didnít have any problems.

Well, gunbroker related problems.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought my Ruger, KSG and DP-12 off gunbroker last summer and didnít have any problems.

Well, gunbroker related problems.

I like your brand of brain damage, I hope to emulate it some day

My last GB experience was getting a Remington 1100 12 gauge for $800, I was pretty happy with it. I also tried to help my dad buy a 11-87 in .410 and constantly being outbid over $1100

Edit: oh and the flintlock muzzleloader and the Remington new model army black powder revolver

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 5, 2021

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I did get my Uzi from GB but also I paid over the then-price for the specific importer/rebuilder for it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

My only Uzi-related regret is that I didn't also get a Mac clone before the market went to poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I did overpay for my KSG but not by much and it was more my fault for playing Ghost Recon while drunk than anything to do with gunbroker.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Like yeah I want a Mac because I'm a goofy idiot but not enough to pay $900 for a semi-auto clone.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I just assume everything on Gunbroker is a scam because I've never seen anything there that has a good price except for ancient C&R stuff (and even then only sometimes).

That's presuming you can even find the C&R stuff within the flood of "HI POINT 9MM *NOT* MAUSER LUGER M1911 GARAND CARCANO SMLE BROWNING ARISAKA TOKAREV".

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The trick to finding good deals is to spell everything like you're a boomer trying to write an email and are 3/4 of the way through a bottle of Jack.

ROOGAR

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nipponophile posted:

That's presuming you can even find the C&R stuff within the flood of "HI POINT 9MM *NOT* MAUSER LUGER M1911 GARAND CARCANO SMLE BROWNING ARISAKA TOKAREV".

*Listing for a Kahr 9mm under the C&R section because the dumbass includes a sentence mentioning C&R in every loving listing*

Dip Viscous posted:

The trick to finding good deals is to spell everything like you're a boomer trying to write an email and are 3/4 of the way through a bottle of Jack.

ROOGAR

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

*Listing for a Kahr 9mm under the C&R section because the dumbass includes a sentence mentioning C&R in every loving listing*

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Nipponophile posted:

There is a special place in hell for these people.

A very special place.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Obviously I haven't yet ingested enough lead to truly think like a boomer.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Somebody Awful posted:

There is a special place in hell for these people.

HELL *NOT* PURGATORY NIRVANA AFTERLIFE VALHALLA ELYSIUM HEAVEN

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

Obviously I haven't yet ingested enough lead to truly think like a boomer.

I would have figured the Detroit water would get you there. The Goon strategy of subsisting only on Mt. Dew proves to be an evolutionary boon.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mt Dew, Dr Pepper, and mainliningeyeballing video games ftw

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

My last GB transaction was that carbine ar barrel post from a while back. It might have been on the discord, I don't remember. Anyway, sure as poo poo felt like a scam until the barrel showed up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In my experience the key to getting poo poo on GB is to know what you're looking for and know what you're looking at. It also really, REALLY helps if you're looking for relatively niche stuff rather than something super generic like a G19.

Let's say, as a complete hypothetical, that you're looking for a Gewehr 1871/84 (the revision of ye olde m71 to add a tube mag). Search terms you'd want to hit:

1871/84
71/84
m71/84
m1871/84
Gew71/84
Gew1874/84

. . . and Spandau.

Why the last? Because it was the most common arsenal by far and somehow their algorithm would skip over rifles clearly labeled as a 71/84 but would pick up on "Spandau" in the description.

And honestly that's where the deals are still to be found. The very clearly labeled gun with the accurate description and crystal clear photos is going to go for whatever market value is, and if it's on a certain grey blanket it'll get mysteriously bid into the goddamn stratosphere, but that's another gripe. But you can still score mislabeled, poorly photographed, etc. guns if you know what you're looking at and are willing to roll the dice a little.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

So what you're saying is you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntG50eXbBtc

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I just had to deal with GB antics too. I had bought an HS507c for my G19 on an auction for well under retail. When the package arrived there was some weird cheapy-cheap rifle red dot in the box.

The seller ultimately made good on the sale, but until the right dot arrived I thought I had been bamboozled.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The only other time I've seen potential deals on GB is when someone misspells the manufacturer, but that's very rare and I haven't tried my luck because it's never been anything interesting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

The only other time I've seen potential deals on GB is when someone misspells the manufacturer, but that's very rare and I haven't tried my luck because it's never been anything interesting.

I donít know about regular guns but with surplus itís 100% about finding people who canít take a picture worth a gently caress but where theyíre clear enough that you can pick out important bits if you know what to look for. Years back I got an Arisaka with an intact mum for $150 because the pics looked like theyíd been taken with a telephoto lens from a moving car, but I was about 99% sure that I saw a mum there.

A while back I got a good deal on a really nice condition Argentine m90 that had just mediocre pics with awful lighting that made the finish look like poo poo. Gun was fine, it was just lit with glare-y neon light that brought out every spec of dust on it and made the blueing look brownish. Didnít help that it was on a funky colored tile countertop that I think hosed up the cameraís color balance.

The reverse is also true. When you see have GOOD (donít need to be great) pics that clearly show the important stuff like matching SNs or color and wear etc. Half the reason that a lot of frequent sellers and shops have trademark looks like that notorious grey blanket is that it creates a professional look and makes for a neutral backdrop. Iím sure theyíre also color correcting their photos before uploading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

The place I got my RDB-C from on GB for a good price ($590) apparently had a habit of doing low start bids and cancelling post-sale if the auction end price wasn't high enough although they move a high volume so their rating doesn't look awful at a glance.