Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The only other time I've seen potential deals on GB is when someone misspells the manufacturer, but that's very rare and I haven't tried my luck because it's never been anything interesting.
Back when I was doing photography, I found some great medium format deals on ebay from people that couldn't spell Mamiya, so this tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Used to keep the key to this cable lock in my wallet. Silly thing to do when I could just keep it in my safe with everything else. Now Iíve pid the price; threw the old wallet away without retrieving the key. Time to buy bolt cutters, I guess.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

Used to keep the key to this cable lock in my wallet. Silly thing to do when I could just keep it in my safe with everything else. Now Iíve pid the price; threw the old wallet away without retrieving the key. Time to buy bolt cutters, I guess.

Time to start a new hobby actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8iKFQ1ebdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slwqiGh0Fak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCRFlrdTQEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O05TZfI2pGI

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 5, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I was hoping I could pick it without a specialty tool, or even a key from a different cable lock. But if I have to buy something, quick and dirty is more my style.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Anonymous Robot posted:

Used to keep the key to this cable lock in my wallet. Silly thing to do when I could just keep it in my safe with everything else. Now I’ve pid the price; threw the old wallet away without retrieving the key. Time to buy bolt cutters, I guess.

One of the best standardization decisions I've ever made was getting a bunch of identically keyed cable locks. I keep two copies of the key on my normal keychain and the rest are stashed away. I don't have to fumble through ring of cable lock keys and spend 15 minutes unlocking everything on big range trips, but it's trivial to lock everything up for regulatory compliance purposes if I'm driving through an area that requires they be locked.

...I should get some more of those.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, I was hoping I could pick it without a specialty tool, or even a key from a different cable lock. But if I have to buy something, quick and dirty is more my style.

A pair of big old snips certainly comes in handy, as long as you don't decide to carry them around with you on walks around the neighborhood.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh5raNMlisc

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Picking is a very fun hobby but pliers will cut any cable that's small and flexible enough to fit through a firearm receiver.

But also yes you can rake it open with any object that fits in.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

i've opened file cabinets at work by tensioning with the nail file of my victorinox classic and raking with a toe nail clipping i cut off with the scissors

most locks are performative nonsense

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Dip Viscous posted:

i've opened file cabinets at work by tensioning with the nail file of my victorinox classic and raking with a toe nail clipping i cut off with the scissors

most locks are performative nonsense

Back in college I did a filing cabinet with a wire coat hanger as the tension wrench and an eyeglass screwdriver as the pick. It took a little bit but when the lock popped open everyone thought I was the second coming of MacGuyver.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Back in college I did a filing cabinet with a wire coat hanger as the tension wrench and an eyeglass screwdriver as the pick. It took a little bit but when the lock popped open everyone thought I was the second coming of MacGuyver.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Late to coffee chat, but, I like McDonalds coffee for the 'gently caress it I don't feel like grinding poo poo' every day blend.

For 'I'm feeling special today', I buy locally roasted whole beans by the pound and grind just prior to fixing it. It's actually incredibly inexpensive to buy them this way compared to what you might typically pay for a 'premium' whole bean coffee at the supermarket or whatever, and the taste is pretty good.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I was able to leverage an evening of nice weather into the official opening of Partytown.

I may change the name to Vaccine 5G at some point, but for now, I'll settle for just sitting back, relaxing... you know, just really partying down.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

tarlibone posted:

I was able to leverage an evening of nice weather into the official opening of Partytown.

I may change the name to Vaccine 5G at some point, but for now, I'll settle for just sitting back, relaxing... you know, just really partying down.

(I know you're being facetious.)
I always find it odd when people go off the deep-end about nonsense issues with 5G.
It's not like there aren't actual issues with 5G, since it's got the bandwidth capability to drastically increase the scope of the surveillance state and it's loving up our weather radars.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The 5G thing is just hilarious to me because of how stupid it is. Government surveillance is something you should absolutely be concerned about, but the people who bring up the 5G chip stuff have an idiot's understanding of how any of that works. And a whole lot of them have cellphones. Unless you're carrying that poo poo around in a Faraday cage fanny pack, they don't need to chip you.

It's also great because a lot of the people most concerned about the 5G poo poo are people the government would never ever care about 99.999999% of the time.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Also if you have a high speed wi-fi router it's pumping out 5Ghz signals already.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

darnon posted:

The place I got my RDB-C from on GB for a good price ($590) apparently had a habit of doing low start bids and cancelling post-sale if the auction end price wasn't high enough although they move a high volume so their rating doesn't look awful at a glance.

I'm pretty sure a local FFL that only sells on GB has employees bid up prices.

They routinely relist a handful of guns immediately after their auctions expire, with descriptions like "the previous high bidder did not pay" which don't track given how quickly they're relisted.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

darnon posted:

Also if you have a high speed wi-fi router it's pumping out 5Ghz signals already.

5G is "fifth generation" not 5GHz

Re: government surveillance state, is bandwidth really a limiting factor on that? I'm not seeing how the introduction of finicky, unreliable networks that are difficult to hold a signal on through any line of sight obstructions would do anything to influence that.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I've found some good deals on gunbroker from people who don't know how to spell Beretta. I've also seen the opposite - people who can't spell Beretta and who are asking stupid high prices for their wares. Good luck with that, bro.

I like good coffee but I hate grinding it. Maybe because I just have a little babby Krups grinder.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

An older relative of mine that runs a pizza place just informed me they have a 6% delivery rate. As in, 6% of people actually ordered a pizza. Everyone else is just loving around.

Be better, people.

Edit: it was 36% pre-pandemic

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 6, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

An older relative of mine that runs a pizza place just informed me they have a 6% delivery rate. As in, 6% of people actually ordered a pizza. Everyone else is just loving around.

Be better, people.

Edit: it was 36% pre-pandemic

What? People just call to say hi? Not sure I follow you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

infrared35 posted:

I've found some good deals on gunbroker from people who don't know how to spell Beretta. I've also seen the opposite - people who can't spell Beretta and who are asking stupid high prices for their wares. Good luck with that, bro.

I like good coffee but I hate grinding it. Maybe because I just have a little babby Krups grinder.

I just have a little cheapo Krups grinder that takes like ten seconds to grind, and another five to wipe clean with a papertowel. I'm sure I could make the coffee taste slightly better if I had a conical burr grinder and did it this way and that but I just want the bean powder to go into the water and make the world less annoying.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

What? People just call to say hi? Not sure I follow you.

Prank pizzas, and of course by the Pizza Code, or Pizado as it would be called in Japan, those delivered prank pizzas have to be free or else the offending pizza place has no honor and only scoundrels will order pizzas from them after that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

ishikabibble posted:

Re: government surveillance state, is bandwidth really a limiting factor on that? I'm not seeing how the introduction of finicky, unreliable networks that are difficult to hold a signal on through any line of sight obstructions would do anything to influence that.

Without getting into classified details or violating NDAs, no. Increased bandwidth just means people use their phones more.

Using more data could actually prevent some types of monitoring because COMINT collection and Cyber collection require different authorities, and itís more difficult to get cyber approval.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Weird Youtube Suggestion time:

Hey watch a bunch of folks repair a truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSXY-oJv7Y

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Without getting into classified details or violating NDAs, no. Increased bandwidth just means people use their phones more.

Using more data could actually prevent some types of monitoring because COMINT collection and Cyber collection require different authorities, and itís more difficult to get cyber approval.

They'll just have to add some more HD space to their Utah server farm.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

Internet Wizard posted:

To clarify the point I was getting at (and Internet Wizard, if I'm off base, call me an idiot and correct me), part of why the 5G roll-out is a potential game-changer is that it dramatically increases the number of possible simultaneous connections on a network, and this has major implications for low bandwidth tracking methods.
5G isn't going to suddenly make it more practical to exponentially add more video surveillance to cities, but it will make it easier to run things like smart utility meters, increase the ability to aggregate position/transportation data, and start passively monitoring things that are currently prohibitively difficult to meaningfully track.

One example that seems kind of off-the-wall but has already seen proof-of-concept testing in multiple research papers is monitoring sewage effluent with chemical analysis.
Right now it's manual samples with HPLC and mass spectrometry being used to get a rough idea of what new synthetic drugs are entering major cities.
Move the analysis to a "lab-on-chip" sensor that's a fraction of the price and incorporate a 5G connection and suddenly it's looking more like monitoring individual buildings and less like dozens of neighborhoods and you're that much closer to meeting the criteria for getting a warrant.

5G doesn't let you run an extra million 4K cameras, but it makes it a lot easier to get little bits of data from everywhere regularly, which has far more serious implications than whatever crazy nonsense the bulk of the anti-5G crowd thinks non-ionizing radiation does to them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Boy, this is bringing up memories of childhood conspiracy theories a certain member of my family prescribed to. These all would have been early to mid nineties, before I had the agency to just say, "Are you loving nuts?"

- Fluoride can turn you gay and make you open to mind control. No fluoride treatments allowed at the dentist.
- Cooking certain foods is the cause of all cancer. For reasons.
- Disney is satanic cabal trying to brain wash children into worshipping the devil.
- Demonic entities can literally leap through a radio if certain songs are played.
- People are overweight because they "breathe wrong."
- Bar Codes contain 666 to ready society for the Mark of the Beast.

Most of them were devil themed. I'm forgetting more than I'm remembering.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Captain Log posted:

Boy, this is bringing up memories of childhood conspiracy theories a certain member of my family prescribed to. These all would have been early to mid nineties, before I had the agency to just say, "Are you loving nuts?"

- Fluoride can turn you gay and make you open to mind control. No fluoride treatments allowed at the dentist.
- Disney is satanic cabal trying to brain wash children into worshipping the devil.
- Demonic entities can literally leap through a radio if certain songs are played.
- People are overweight because they "breathe wrong."

Most of them were devil themed. I'm forgetting more than I'm remembering.

Are you sure it isn't a feathered crest that's the mark of the beast?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

This was the one I heard most even from relatively average level Christians when I was in high school.

Also watching some generic search and rescue footage on TV where they were talking about FLIR for locating hikers and having my high school girlfriend out of nowhere say ďItís crazy how this stuff that saves lives will be used to hunt down all the believers during the end times.Ē I knew she was religious but that was kind of a surprise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Did this spiral out from the way charring some foods creates carcinogens?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

kupachek posted:

Are you sure it isn't a feathered crest that's the mark of the beast?

If that's the case, hell's gonna be pretty danged awesome.

mlmp08 posted:

This was the one I heard most even from relatively average level Christians when I was in high school.

Also watching some generic search and rescue footage on TV where they were talking about FLIR for locating hikers and having my high school girlfriend out of nowhere say “It’s crazy how this stuff that saves lives will be used to hunt down all the believers during the end times.” I knew she was religious but that was kind of a surprise.

Not sure where you're from, but being from the south these literally insane bombshells were extremely common place with otherwise normal people. It's easy to be a huge closeted religious fanatic when it's expected of you. (Also, it was the 90's.)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did this spiral out from the way charring some foods creates carcinogens?

Bingo!

My mother is the type that will literally believe anything if it's written in a book. I'll never forget having a long talk with her once about how I'm not going to read books on subjects from people without any expertise in the subject. Three weeks later, she slapped a book down on my desk about some religious tinged health bullshit and proudly proclaimed, "I even checked. This person is an expert with a doctorate.

It was a lady with a Master's in Sociology, talking about how God only know what diet will kill you.

The depressing thing - She isn't a stupid woman. She somehow chooses aggressive ignorance because it makes her feel superior to be "in on the secrets behind everything."

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

Captain Log posted:

If that's the case, hell's gonna be pretty danged awesome.

I just have to think about the times I've seen someone terrorized by birbs to know many people will not share your sentiment.
But, you aren't the one being punished.

Regarding cancer/carcinogens, I have to wonder if teflon plays into that. I remember folks being weird about teflon around 30 years ago, and that fits with the era of you having to deal with such "theories".

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Iím pretty sure I mentioned it before but I have a coworker who doesnít microwave anything. Not even water. Because microwave ovens make everything cancerous. Even water.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ask him if he ever re-boils water, and if he's aware that it will concentrate the arsenic in it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

infrared35 posted:

Iím pretty sure I mentioned it before but I have a coworker who doesnít microwave anything. Not even water. Because microwave ovens make everything cancerous. Even water.

Ask them what they think about macrowaves.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Itís possible, and I donít know much about that end of things, but I donít think itís much of a limiting factor already so I wouldnít expect that to change because of 5G. Itís already relatively rare for network congestion to occur on LTE, and thatís only because of unanticipated mass gatherings where the networks canít pop up more towers. Itís already built into LTE infrastructure that towers will dynamically turn on or off throughout the day in response to demand.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My dad was always waiting for an opportunity to go off about the mark of the best and 666. But, to his credit, he knew that it was just a mark on you that let you buy and sell stuff. Like a tattoo of sorts, and without it, you can't exchange currency. He also knew that it would be an attempt to change us over to a cashless economy, which was evil because without greenbacks, it's one world government new world order Satan anti-Christ end of the world and he knew it and he was NOT fine.

For a time when I was a kid, he believed some of the older guys who told him that somewhere in Scandinavia, a prototype was already deployed, and the proof that it was tied to the whole mark of the beast was that the system's name was an acronym that spelled out the English word "BEAST." He only knew the first word, Beta, and it didn't matter to him that it made no sense that the acronym and the words comprising it would be in English.

The number 666? That wasn't the mark. That was just the key to figuring out when the rise of the anti-Christ would occur. Each 6 stood for something.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

If I remember correctly the numbers being 666 first appeared in The Book of Iron Maiden, a more modern apostolic tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So has that Kentucky Ballistics video about the .50 cal KB that almost killed that guy been discussed around here yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1449kJKxlMQ

edit:

FWIW poo poo like this is why I don't shoot old, surplus ammo any more. What, exactly, caused that KB is still a huge question mark but some powders degrade in funky ways over time and that can lead to really high pressure spikes. Turkish Mauser ammo is notorious for this. I've personally seen it with 50's yugo also. I've got a couple of casings kicking around my desk with cracks down the middle of the case head. Learning exactly how the Mauser action is designed to vent gasses in the event of a case rupture isn't fun, but it's a hell of a lot better than what that guy went through.

So yeah. Be careful around old ammo.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 6, 2021