Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wait, do you really think the first part of the story was advocating neoliberalism?

Not at all, no. I'm not sure how you would get that from what was, if I'm being honest, a cheap shot at someone not involved here in any way that I shouldn't have made but I guess I'm being a bit of a poo poo today.

Apologies, all. I'd wipe the post but it's been quoted so I'll just take my lumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Edit: if you want to see a game broken in half for the express purpose of advocating for corporatist neoliberal fantasy, whatever nweismuller's LPing lately is right over thataway.

Heh. I have always respected that nweismuller's LPs are good reading despite my finding his political bent in all of them to be nonsense.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not at all, no. I'm not sure how you would get that from what was, if I'm being honest, a cheap shot at someone not involved here in any way that I shouldn't have made but I guess I'm being a bit of a poo poo today.

Apologies, all. I'd wipe the post but it's been quoted so I'll just take my lumps.

Ah, I thought you were accusing me of wanting that, so I thought you were having problems seeing the difference between depiction and advocacy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Totally fine, we all post like poo poo once in a while.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GunnerJ posted:

Heh. I have always respected that nweismuller's LPs are good reading despite my finding his political bent in all of them to be nonsense.

:same: but his depiction of Morgan Industries in Alpha Centauri (and unwillingness to entertain any dissenting viewpoint of Morgan’s canon hyper capitalism in thread) was particularly bad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GhostStalker posted:

:same: but his depiction of Morgan Industries in Alpha Centauri (and unwillingness to entertain any dissenting viewpoint of Morgan’s canon hyper capitalism in thread) was particularly bad.

I was there for that one in real time and it made sure I wouldn't read any of his other work. That stuff was ridiculous.

The thing is, the shift to a leftist government here feels like an consequence of the organic events of the game and story. Maybe it's a bit of a lucky shot that things ended up here, but who knows if it will go well or poorly from here? Or how much more things might change? I suppose that's the part that keeps it interesting. Society keeps changing; it doesn't just stay dogmatically stable and stick to one specific viewpoint.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

It was strangely committed to the idea that a video game with a sentient biosphere that would try to kill you for polluting was not a deeply environmentalist game and that it therefore might not have the best opinion of unregulated capitalist industry.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GunnerJ posted:

It was strangely committed to the idea that a video game with a sentient biosphere that would try to kill you for polluting was not a deeply environmentalist game and that it therefore might not have the best opinion of unregulated capitalist industry.

His sheer disgust at the idea of the Transcendence victory as well…

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

His sheer disgust at the idea of the Transcendence victory as well…

Didn't he stop playing stellaris when it added the shared burdens civic?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

NewMars posted:

Didn't he stop playing stellaris when it added the shared burdens civic?
I got curious and looked it up, and not quite. He wanted to mod it out or rename it, but because of 'delays in mod production' went on to do a Stars in Shadow LP, after which I presume his current MoO LP followed. I'm guessing he lost interest in Stellaris at that point, and/or further details may be in one of those LP threads. E: Here's the particular post about removing Shared Burdens

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

As someone who's done a lot of Stellaris government modding, this is perplexing. Changing its name and fluff would require just a few lines of localization text. Removing it is slightly harder, but unless there was a cross-mod compatibility issue, you could just make a mod that copies a single base game file but deletes that one civic from it.

Edit: Okay, from his posts on the subject, it looks like the problem was he did not like that the game makes its space commies true egalitarian democrats despite having Stalin-esque names like "People's Republic." That one is actually just one of a few possible random names the relevant government type can get out of several others, but it has a pretty high chance of popping up. It is slightly trickier to mod because it requires digging into the random names system, but the way I'd have done it is just to edit the list of possible names to remove the offending ones.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 27, 2021

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

As someone who's done a lot of Stellaris government modding, this is perplexing. Changing its name and fluff would require just a few lines of localization text. Removing it is slightly harder, but unless there was a cross-mod compatibility issue, you could just make a mod that copies a single base game file but deletes that one civic from it.

Edit: Okay, from his posts on the subject, it looks like the problem was he did not like that the game makes its space commies true egalitarian democrats despite having Stalin-esque names like "People's Republic." That one is actually just one of a few possible random names the relevant government type can get out of several others, but it has a pretty high chance of popping up. It is slightly trickier to mod because it requires digging into the random names system, but the way I'd have done it is just to edit the list of possible names to remove the offending ones.

That's only part of the problem for them. The other part was that communism, which he sees as an invariable monstrous totalitarian ideology, was portrayed as good or egalitarian at all.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
-Posted too early-

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

NewMars posted:

That's only part of the problem for them. The other part was that communism, which he sees as an invariable monstrous totalitarian ideology, was portrayed as good or egalitarian at all.

That is some dedicated mad.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

NewMars posted:

Yeah, IIRC their first major LP on these forums, his MoO2 one, had his population beat someone near to death in the fluff of an update because someone claimed to represent a worker’s commune of some sort in an in thread Goon democracy audience vote, since apparently Communism had led to a war with the near collapse of civilization on Earth in his backstory, prior to the backstory Human Republic being established, and was very insistent that no thread voter present themselves as such. I forget if they also extended this in general to labor movements as well (because their Human Republic had no need of such anymore).

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
How have I never noticed any of that before :psyduck:?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I get it, you want to read a well written LP and so gloss over a lot of the political undertones present until all of a sudden you can’t. I also miss a lot of sub textual things until they’re staring me in the face, and that point came for me in their aforementioned Alpha Centauri LP where he made Morgan the epitome of the enlightened AnCap CEO, and regulated the environmentalism of Deidre to the fringes of acceptable thought, and shut down anyone who tried to point out what the excesses of unregulated neoliberal capitalism would bring, and then shat all over the Transcendence Victory because it would destroy individuality or something to that effect.

There was also the point where someone in one of his more recent threads asked permission to feature a couple of his LPs in a guest post on a blog of a SciFi author that was strictly anti-lockdown in the middle of the pandemic last year right around the time of the protests regarding that right before George Floyd happened. That kinda clued me in as well to the type of audience he was attracting, besides those who just wanted to see a bunch of well written (because he does have a very good narrative style) 4X LPs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Suddenly glad the only SMAC LP I read was probably Fangz's because I remember a whole bunch about Gaia's.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The SMAC LP was when I really started grimacing at a lot of the implicit (and explicit) assumptions in Nweiss LP's but in hindsight didn't the original MoO2 LP involve doing cultural genocide via body horror brain surgery or pheremone hacking or something on the conquered Klackons? Because their biology is wrong and we need to get in there with a bunch of chemicals and scalpels to make them good productive capitalist individualists, it's doing them a favor really.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

I get it, you want to read a well written LP and so gloss over a lot of the political undertones present until all of a sudden you can’t. I also miss a lot of sub textual things until they’re staring me in the face, and that point came for me in their aforementioned Alpha Centauri LP where he made Morgan the epitome of the enlightened AnCap CEO,

This aspect of the LP was very interesting from a design POV. They presented the Morganite faction as a ideal anarcho-capitalist society, so there was no or very little proper state, just lots of private businesses making deals and adopting contacts to order the faction. There was audience participation in that goons could sign up to be the owners or CEOs of these companies whose aggregation constituted the faction. One thing that the thread voted regularly on was what to do with surplus productivity, the vote not being for a government policy but just an indication of the aggregate reinventment choices of the firms of the faction.

In the game (it's been a while so this is all iirc) you can devote that surplus to one of three things: labs (improving tech research rate, fluffed as reinvestment in R&D), the treasury (just strait cash the faction can buy stuff with, fluffed as pure profit), or "psych." This last one is where it gets interesting. Psych is like, public health and recreation, so it's tied to the happiness of your citizens and therefore your overall stability. This was fluffed as firms choosing to invest in higher quality consumer products and services at more affordable prices, in the name of increasing overall happiness and prosperity. In other words, forsaking profit for the common good.

Initially, the goons mostly voted for reinvestment in the treasury, because duh, this is the hyper capitalist LP, make that money. This is good for RPing the dominant theme, but not that great for faction stability. Basically, the game will kinda model runaway inequality and the attendant instability if you skimp on psych spending. Now nweis wasn't just running the LP, they were role playing as Morgan, the face of the faction. This set of goon voting trends was seemingly alarming enough they they did an in-character post based on the LP's reading of Morgan's philosophy that really we should be striving to excel and increase overall prosperity, because that's what unfettered capitalism is about. This had the effect of persuading goons to start voting for psych investment more, thus creating said ancap utopia... by denying the profit motive, effectively.

The irony (well, one of a few ironies) here is that without the personal intervention of a powerful "leader" committed to the outcome of an ideological vision, this wouldn't have happened, the goons would have voted for that cash and gently caress the poor. This is very in keeping with the game's themes of exploring ideology, but not a great indicator of the plausibility of the LP's ideal.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 28, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't think I've ever seen a portrayal of the ancap version of an enlightened philosopher king before, that sounds very dumb.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 28, 2021

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, IIRC their first major LP on these forums, his MoO2 one, had his population beat someone near to death in the fluff of an update because someone claimed to represent a worker’s commune of some sort in an in thread Goon democracy audience vote, since apparently Communism had led to a war with the near collapse of civilization on Earth in his backstory, prior to the backstory Human Republic being established, and was very insistent that no thread voter present themselves as such. I forget if they also extended this in general to labor movements as well (because their Human Republic had no need of such anymore).

If it's the LP I'm thinking of, I managed to sneak communism in anyway, through a fully worker-owned asteroid cooperative.

Because communism can come in many shapes and forms, and since it was a corporation, they couldn't do dick. I don't think they even noticed that there was an outright workers owning the means of production type entity voting in the thread. :v:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Lets all play as capitalists with no regulations!

...no not like that.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
The dwarves in Master of Magic healing people with the magical powers of AnarchoCapitalism is the one that really stood out to me.

This thread has great writing, I hope it continues with the shifting political narrative rather than trying to satisfy the people mad about space communism being a meme.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Deadmeat5150 posted:

GhostStalker posted:

I get it, you want to read a well written LP and so gloss over a lot of the political undertones present until all of a sudden you can’t. I also miss a lot of sub textual things until they’re staring me in the face, and that point came for me in their aforementioned Alpha Centauri LP where he made Morgan the epitome of the enlightened AnCap CEO, and regulated the environmentalism of Deidre to the fringes of acceptable thought, and shut down anyone who tried to point out what the excesses of unregulated neoliberal capitalism would bring, and then shat all over the Transcendence Victory because it would destroy individuality or something to that effect.

There was also the point where someone in one of his more recent threads asked permission to feature a couple of his LPs in a guest post on a blog of a SciFi author that was strictly anti-lockdown in the middle of the pandemic last year right around the time of the protests regarding that right before George Floyd happened. That kinda clued me in as well to the type of audience he was attracting, besides those who just wanted to see a bunch of well written (because he does have a very good narrative style) 4X LPs.

Crazycryodude posted:

The SMAC LP was when I really started grimacing at a lot of the implicit (and explicit) assumptions in Nweiss LP's but in hindsight didn't the original MoO2 LP involve doing cultural genocide via body horror brain surgery or pheremone hacking or something on the conquered Klackons? Because their biology is wrong and we need to get in there with a bunch of chemicals and scalpels to make them good productive capitalist individualists, it's doing them a favor really.

:psyduck: Well drat, I never noticed that either, and I wrote a few filler bits in the SMAC thread about a PMC and its CEO that held lots of political power and sway...I might need to go back and reread some stuff.

Yessod posted:

This thread has great writing, I hope it continues with the shifting political narrative rather than trying to satisfy the people mad about space communism being a meme.

Same, I'm personally in the camp of, if the writing is good I'm happy to saddle up for wherever the adventure goes in LP stories.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Yessod posted:

The dwarves in Master of Magic healing people with the magical powers of AnarchoCapitalism is the one that really stood out to me.

Real talk, if Crisis Now turned this into a book I'd read it.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
(Interlude)
GALACTIC COMMUNITY

Hegira 101: a beginners guide to the human homeland
Commissioned by the Galactic Community and compiled by the United Nations Interstellar Colonial Administration.
Distributed to the GC in 2345

The following is an introductory overview of the fourteen "Higirian states" plus the home power of humanity - the United Nations, intended for members of the Galactic Community to better educate and inform you about some of your human contemporaries you'll be meeting. There's no need to explain what a human is (many of you may in fact be human, but lost the knowledge of our origin) - if you're now a spacefaring power it's almost certainly because humans meddled with your civilisation and inadvertently gave you the technology or knowledge to ascend to the stars. And the fact you can read this at all means you have been granted ~the gift of English~, most prominent of the human tongues. But where did all these humans come from?

Located in the Sol System, Sol III - known by humans as "Earth" was once their home planet, a moderately sized continental world with a wealth of cultures and peoples.

Unfortunately due to circumstances outside of humanity's control, calamity came to their homeworld.

Thus beginning a period that humanity dubbed 'The Exodus' - derived from an ancient human myth about a group escaping slavery and living out an exile far from their homeland. (entirely unrelated to humanity's treatment under it's society at the time)
The largest proponent of this Exodus being, 'The Hegia' - derived from the name of a 'departure' or 'migration' undertaken by the prophet of one of humanity's largest faiths, and those states born from it known as the "Hegira States" or "Higirian States"

Here is a brief overview of each of the Hegira states, their homeworld, and what their society is like, if you ever wish to give them a visit for yourself!

British Republic
Formerly the British Admiralty

The British state is one that has existed in two forms - the first under the Admiralty was a military commissariat with the entire state focused around the support of it's large fleet. The British were the second most far-flung Hegira state after Oceania and they found themselves at the edge of the Victorious Night nebula an area that at the same was rife with danger (far more than today it must be said), and their fleet was the top priority - to the detriment of the rest of society who existed only to serve and supply this fleet. Only those currently enlisted in the fleet or a veteran of it had any value in the Admiralty, and allowed to participate in the state's political apparatus, everyone else was expendable. Obviously such an unjust system could not last forever - and after a prolonged period of conflict against the New India Republic that saw the fleet drawn far away from the "supply-planets'' the people of the Admiralty were able to exert greater influence on the Admiralty Board, forcing more democratic and egalitarian policies. Eventually the people gained such power that allowed them to stage a mostly bloodless revolution that saw the Admiralty end once and for all the establishment of the British Republic - which is the state that exists today. This new British Republic believed strongly in democracy and giving all it's citizens equal opportunity to succeed and is now far more concerned with developing it's worlds to become more livable and amicable places. So much so that they have largely closed themselves off to wider space, the once great fleet now exists only to guard the borders, the days of the "grand expeditions beyond the nebula" are long gone.
They are the co-founders of the Anglo-Slavic-Coalition, formed with their brothers-in-arms Third Moscow with whom they broke free from the yoke of the New India Republic.

Their capital is Thames, and the capital city Ashford. The planet is an ash world with a harsh atmosphere so you'll likely not want to visit this one, but one would be lucky to even receive a tourist visa as the British are very unwelcoming to foreigners.

Fun British fact: The English language, lingua franca of the galaxy, originated from the British

Federal Arabian Emirates

The Emirates came from one of the hottest and most inhospitable areas of Earth - but one that happened to be rich in a resource vital to human civilisation which made the old Emirates exceedingly wealthy. It is with great luck -or if you are to ask an Emirati themselves 'by the will of Allah'- that the new emirates would find themselves on a world that would bring them the same such wealth. The Emirates are a people steeped in tradition and reveration for the past, maybe more so than any other Hegira states, every Emirati is a devout follower of Islam - one of Earth's largest faiths - and they belive it is their duty to not only keep the old faith alive but to spread it as far and wide across the galaxy. You have no doubt encountered Emirate trading vessels that bring not only the intricate well crafted goods of Medina, but also great scholars and preachers wishing to convince you of the virtues of their faith and the glories and riches that await all those that convert. They are fierce rivals of the Chinese, with whom they have been in an open state of war for almost a century, since the Emirates welcomed in one of China's break-away states. They also successfully saw off an invasion from the small but technologically advanced Columbia (the 'Republic of Clones' you may have heard of).

Their capital is Medina, it's capital city Mecca. You have no doubt heard tales of the 'planet of gold' - Medina is that planet! Two great asteroids overburdened with valuable resources collided over the planet many eons ago, showering the surface in their incredible bounty. Medina is always open to visitors wishing to see the bustling bazaars and immense temples ("mosques") that the Emirate leaders spend much of their wealth on - when it is not on extravagant vanity projects in the deserts of Medina. Note: the City of Mecca itself is only open to true-believers of the Islamic faith.

Fun Emirates fact: The City of Mecca is placed at the exact same coordinates corresponding to it's location on Earth, to ensure the practice of praying toward Mecca can still be followed as closely as possible despite the original being long gone.

German Military Order

The German Military Order is a strict and orderly society with all of it's citizens doing their utmost to serve the order and ensure it excels. Despite being a militaristic society with a dictatorial grand marshall at it's head it still strives to be a tolerant and progressive one. It believes it has a duty to "protect the galaxy from itself", the navies and armies of the Order regularly intervene in alien wars it views as unjust or trying to assist and uplift the downtrodden wherever they may be. Second to order, they value honour, and an "honourable society is a just society". A German would never break a promise or negate a treaty, and always strives to help their friends when in need. While initially from the outside it may seem a cold and standoff-ish place, those who prove themselves honourable and just are welcomed in and would find warmhearted and generous people waiting to regale you of tales of old and offer you a stein of beer. After brief wars with the USO they now seem to be focused on peacekeeping in the space where the Halcyon Clans rule.

New Brandenburg is a world of two layers - the surface is a scorched barren wasteland blasted by the three suns of the Nehanora system, beneath that though is a vast interconnected system of caverns sometimes many hundreds of kilometres wide and deep, and it is within these that the Germans have constructed their cities. The capital and largest is Bismarck, sometimes referred to as Bunkerburg which houses many great opera houses and theaters.

Fun German fact: All education in the Order is entirely free, even for foreigners who wish to study there (though there are mandatory German history and language courses), as the grand marshall deemed it 'socially unjust' to limit the pursuit of knowledge and those wishing to advance the limits of our understanding of the universe.

Imperial China
Formerly People's Imperial China

The Chinese claim to the longest existing state in the galaxy with over five millennia of uninterrupted rule, from it's roots as an empire, to a people's republic to a coalition of corporate-city states to a people's empire and back to empire once more. They too are a people steeped in tradition and a strong adherence to faith much like the Emirates but in favour of a vast amalgamation of many folk religions and syncretizations with other faiths it has come into contact with in the past as well as beliefs still held over from it's time as a people's republic, mostly that the needs of the many come before the needs of the individual. The Chinese state is dominated by it's bureaucracy which some say is the true ruler of China, not it's emperor, and the many offices and branches of the government are so sprawling and byzantine in nature that no one person even knows it's true extent. All aspects of live in Imperial Chinese space are dictated and overseen by some branch of the bureaucrats, and the penalty for going against them is often very harsh. These overbearing restrictions saw two systems break away from China in it's early years - one capitalist in nature - New Canton Republic and the other socialistic in nature - the Sichuan State. Eventually the Imperial Chairwoman at the time was able to come to an agreement with the NCR to see them come back under Chinese authority but as a mostly autonomous state who have become exceedingly developed and wealthy. The SIchuan state on the other hand valued it's new found freedom so much it chose to align with the Emirates for protection, triggering the century long feud between Arabian and Chinese.

It's capital is New Yangtze, with the Imperial City atop the great Mount Tiyanki, a sublime metropolis of temples and palaces and the Palace of Heaven at its heart where the emperor/ress resides. Visitors are welcome but must have all the necessary visas beforehand from the bureau of tourism.

Fun Chinese fact: Imperial China has more temples than any other building, dedicated to not only it's huge array of deities and spirits but also to many great and illustrous people who have served the realm, to be granted a temple after your death is to be considered the highest honour.

Japanese Commonwealth

The Japanese Commonwealth is one that has diverged most from it's pre-Hegira state, once a manufacturing powerhouse of humanity, it's people now seek a more simple, sustainable and self-fulfilling life. Initially a dictatorship under the benevolent watch of the chairman, the Japanese suffered a disastrous war against New India, and saw their socialist utopia replaced with a liberal democracy - this lasted for all of six months before the Patria Grand intervened and helped the Japanese to reform a social democracy. While the Japanese do not travel far from their own stars they are always welcoming of those from the outside who come to visit them, their military exists purely for self-defence and their whole society is geared towards being as efficient and fulfilling for its people as possible. Having only one inhabited world to it's name for most of its existence Japanese society is extremely centralized, with its central committee dictating what food / goods are needed more and where they should be distributed for the betterment of its people.

It's capital is Neo Tokyo, with its eponymous capital city. On Earth, in old fiction 'Neo Tokyo' was often depicted as a nightmarish urban sprawl of towers and neon. Neo Tokyo here could not be further from that, it is a ultra-low density agrarian utopia, with farm-communes clustered around small collections of houses and vast fields and orchards that cover the rolling hills. One may visit Neo Tokyo - but in truth there is not much to see, perfect if one wishes to just relax and 'get away from it all' however.

Fun Japanese fact: The Commonwealth is one of the largest exporters of food in the galaxy owing to it's almost entirely agrarian-society, you've almost certainly enjoyed something grown in Neo-Tokyo without realising it!

New American Federation

Humility, grace, nuance. These are words unknown to the New Americans for they are a bold, brash and in-your-face people. As any New American will tell you, they were once the greatest people of Earth, and in time they will be the greatest people of the Galaxy. That remains to be seen. What can be said about the New Americans however is their industrious and determined people let no adversity stand in their way, they set their sights high and they do everything to achieve it. The New Americans adhere strongly to their democratic republican beliefs of their forefathers and immutable individual rights, the state should be servants to the people not the other way round. But ultimately all their people are still servants to God, 98% of New Americans are devout Christians (Old-Earth's largest faith) - note New Americans and Arabians in fact worship the same deity, just with wildly varying rituals and interpretations. (Never bring this fact up with either!) New American values it's military prowess highly and it's armed forces are practically worshipped by it's people, who had seen victory after victory - until running up to the UN.

Their capital is New Colorado, with its capital city Grand Liberty (often just referred to as Liberty City). The world is covered in ranches and vast ranges with huge metropolises clustered around the many great lakes, visitors are always welcome but just remember the NAF tourism board slogan "Enjoy your stay! Just don't stay too long"

Fun New American fact: New America produces the most entertainment of any known power in the galaxy, with tens of thousands of movies, games and holoscreen serials released yearly. The ultra violent, uber-patriotic war films and VR-games no doubt saturate your local markets!

New Republic of India

The New Republic of India is a state that may be on its last legs. After a century of success and growth, the parliament of New India thought it wise to go to war with the three-power federation of the Union of Socialist Systems, and now the once prosperous Republic finds itself relegated to habitats on molten worlds surrounding a gas giant. Despite presenting itself as a democratic republic, New India is an incredibly stratified society, with many forced to work the same jobs as their parents and live in the same rung of society with little chance to pursue the life they may desire. The Parliament of New India was also a dangerous and treacherous place, with the members of parliament doing everything to undermine each other at every possible opportunity. It's probably because of all this that upon losing their second 'War on Communism', their longtime rivals the Patria Grande only thought it reasonable to snatch their capital away from them and drive the politicians and business out, many calling the Canopus system their new home, but many others fleeing to nearby powers.

It's current capital is the Madhya Pradesh habitat, with two billion people crammed into the domed enclosures. One may visit if they were so inclined, but the four habitat cities that the Republic currently clings to are not pleasant places - New Delhi however is enjoying a resurgence and it's great mesas and desert national parks are always welcoming.

Fun Indian fact: Hinduism, the third largest Old-Earth faith after Christianity and Islam is in fact the oldest faith of humanity and potentially the galaxy (still being actively worshipped that is) with a vast pantheon of gods / goddesses and a bewildering collection of beliefs, rituals and schools of thought. If one is a spiritual seeker of enlightenment then visiting a New Indian system is a must!

The old capital of New Delhi.

Patria Grande

The Conference of Syndicalists of Patria Grande - or simply the Patria Grande (english: Great Homeland) are a people that seek harmony with the galaxy and unity and equality amongst all life. The Patria Grande eschews any and all forms of hierarchy and any form of authority is bestowed with the permission of all the people and acts on behalf of all the people. The Patria Grande do everything in their power to ensure their society is as sustainable and efficient as possible in order to avoid creating conditions similar to those in Earth's final days. Every person in the Patria Grande is equal to every other and has just as much say in how their society is run - all decisions and actions are only conducted via the express permission of all its citizens, in regular convenings of local councils or unions or report to ever high levels of council until reaching their leader - this does have the downside that some decision making can take a little longer due to the nature of having to communicate or congregate over many star systems. By the nature of their society and how counter it runs to almost all other human power it has had to adopt an aggressive stance to maintain it's own sovereignty and survival, but this has over time allowed the Patria Grande to form a formidable military with which it now seeks to 'liberate all those who are oppressed'. They lead the Union of Socialist Systems, and have fought numerous minor skirmishes and conflicts before it brought down the New Indian Republic and is currently engaged in a similar war against the United African Empire.

It's capital is Nueva Argentina with it's capital city Proudhon. Vast nature reserves and verdant forests cover the planet that offer incredible hiking and camping opportunities but take care not to disturb the local wildlife - such actions bring harsh retribution.
Fun Patria Grande fact: Patria Grande enjoys 100% literacy rate, with all it's citizens (even it's young) taught a great deal of Old-South American folk tales and anarchist and socialist theory and history with the expectation that they can defend and promote the society through words when need be.

Scandinavian Union

The Scandinavian Union is a collection of four peoples (Swede, Norwegian, Finn, Dane) united by a singular purpose of a fair and just society which they hope to one day spread to all the stars of the galaxy. It is unfortunate then that the Scandinavians found themselves on a deadly world at the edge of the Voiceless Nightmare nebula, in a tiny strip of inhabitable space. Still, the Scandinavians perceived and formed bonds with their socialist neighbours the Japanese and Patria Grande. Eventually the Union would go on to find the world of Nu-Xandar and begin the colonization and shifting of it's society to this new wondrous world at once - still an ongoing process. Scandinavian society has a strong emphasis on equality and uplifting those less fortunate through a vast wide-reaching social outreach program. Whereas the German Military Order has intervened in wars beyond the Voiceless Nightmare with its military might, the Union has tried to reach out to other powers, to act as a mediator in conflicts, with varied results. They have come in to conflict with the United African Empire before, in border conflicts near Nu-Xandar, but upon joining the USS peace was brokered. But now the Scandinavians march side by side with the Patria Grande to bring the Empire down.

The Scandinavian capital is Vinland, with it's only city being Syra. While the Union is open to visitors, perhaps the acid world is not best suited to tourists, Nu-Xandar however will soon be welcoming all.

Fun Scandinavian fact: Nu-Xandar under the domain of the Scandinavians is the largest and possibly most perfect planet in the whole galaxy, somehow suited to all known life.

Serene Principality of Brazil

The Principality is a place that knows no bounds when it comes to sophistication and splendour, it's noble princely houses enjoy riches like you could not imagine - most probably thanks to the fact that anyone not a member of the houses or proved themselves to be most useful to the princes or princesses is entirely expendable. Slavery is a common and accept part of the Principality's society, with vast interstellar corporations run by the houses and staffed entirely by indentured employees who face exile to the harsh astro-mining colonies for non-compliance. While the princely houses may sometimes feud or squabble they would never do anything to cause serious harm to one another for fear of destabilizing the aristocracy's hold on society. Extravagant ceremonies, festivals and grand balls are the norm for the houses who want for nothing. They had been lifelong rivals of the Visegrad Alliance until meeting the New Americans, and together they formed the Perseus-Arm-Treaty-Organization and turned their focus to the UN. The only major dissent came in the form of the Coalition of Brazil, before New America aided the Principality in squashing in hope of resistance against the princes.

It's capital is Sao Paulo with eponymous capital city, built around the gargantuan and elegant 'Palácio do Esplendor', each and every city is built around a palace of some sort that belongs to a member of the many houses. Visitors are welcome during one of the Principality's many festivals, though note where guests can go and what they can do / see is highly restricted. A great time for those with vast sums to spend and no moral qualms about being waited on by slaves.

Fun Brazil fact: Sao Paulo plays host to the largest and most expensive festival in all the galaxy, with all the members of the princely houses trying to outdo one another in their grand displays at the Sao Paulo Carnival.

Third Moscow
Formerly New Kazan
Formerly Russian Diaspora
Formerly New Russian Order

The Russians are a people who have known many great catastrophes and much grief since departing from Earth, but through their perseverance and strong will they have managed to come back from the brink of annihilation. The New Russian Order was their first colony on the planet New Moscow, that housed many millions of Russians that had fled Earth, and while the planet itself was bountiful and pleasant - its star soon underwent a cosmic event that would scorched all the planets of the system. Very little of the populace managed to escape, forming a vast thinly spread diaspora of people who had to live under the rule of the other nearby states and pray that their mercy would see them through. Though they had found some success in the form of the Soyuz Konglomerative and Astropom companies they were both beholden to the whims of the United African Empire and were never truly free people. Over time some managed to consolidate in what would become New Kazan, spending a great deal of energy and resources to construct the Volga Hub - an orbital habitat in the middle of a cluster of systems that New Kazan would spend the next decades terraforming and making livable. It is unfortunate then that New Kazan would fall under the sway of the New Indian Republic and be forced to give up so much of what they had achieved to New Delhi so they could fight their war against the USS. With the aid of the British over a decade-long struggle New Kazan was able to free itself, and proclaim itself Third Moscow, a free and prosperous place for all the scattered Russians of the galaxy to reunite and create their new paradise.

It's capital is still the Volga Hub, though it promises to have almost a dozen worlds terraformed and inhabited within the next few decades. Though the planets are currently off-limits visitors are more than welcome to the habitats and space stations on which most Russians have had to reside the past century. Be prepared to share many stories and many more drinks.

Fun Russian fact: Russians were in fact the first humans to ever reach space, and were also instrumental in the development of hyperdrive technology which is now in use by every spacefaring peoples of the galaxy.

United African Empire

The United African Empire harkens back to an older time of Earth, of chivalrous knights and great noble houses all centered around a powerful king / queen and their family. The Azikiwe dynasty have ruled the Empire since its inception, and despite being a feudal empire has strove to reward and care for those who provide for the realm, even down to the lowest peasant. The empire and its planets are divided up into many thousands of fiefdoms ruled by local lords and their peasant farmers and miners, each lord with a small retinue of loyal and capable knights who take to the stars in their steel-steeds when the empire is in need. The court of the Azikiwes is filled with pageantry and elaborate ceremonies, and their many patronized artists and crafters have produced beautiful works of art and sculptures, many of which have found their way out to markets in the west galaxy. They have feud with the Scandinavians in the past but now find themselves in a total war against them and the USS allies, and at the same time has been embroiled in a large conflict with the Arabs and recently faces a mass rebellion as it's subject-states in the form of the Russian-American corporations is finally trying to secure their freedom. A dire time for the empire indeed.

The capital is New Zanzibar with it's capital city Fadhila. Normally visitors are welcome but with the Empire fighting three wars at once, travel is somewhat restricted.

Fun Africa fact: The old homeland of the Africans on Old-Earth was also the cradle of all human civilization, and some of humanity's greatest and most influential powers, peoples, faiths and ideas all came from the African peoples.

United States of Oceania

The United States of Oceania is almost certainly the one power everyone in the Galactic Community is already aware of, due to the fact that they were the only Hegira State to find their new home out beyond the two great nebulas that divide the east and west sides of the galaxy, and as such the USO has had extensive contact with the powers of the west. A congressional republic with strong republican values and a vision of unity among all the stars under its democratic system, the USO had already made great headway in bringing many of the nearby stars under its sway and uplifting all the species it comes into contact with. The USO is an open and vibrant place that celebrates it's diversity, though very strongly venerates the past culture and history of Earth and often favours highlighting these over the many of it's new non-human citizens (some would make such bold claims like "cultural genocide" but the USO would strongly deny this).

It's capital is Federation, and it's capital city Blue City (or just BC), the Lisirrasya system in which it resides is known as the Big Blue / Great Blue due to the three giant class-F stars bathing the whole system in radiant blue light.
Fun Oceanic fact: Oceanics are fiercely competitive and play more kinds of sports and have more sports teams than the rest of the Hegira states combined, sporting events and venues form a large part of USO society.

Visegrad Alliance

The Visegrad are a collection of people (Poles, Czech, Hungarian, Slovak) who have in the past on Old-Earth bore the brunt of much hostility and bloodshed at the hands of other greater powers around them, a past the Visegrad do not wish to repeat and so are a strongly militarized and shut-off society from the rest of the galaxy. All of its citizens are implanted with something akin to a miniaturized personal terminal that allows them to easily interact with all their technology and remain in contact with one another with ease and it's most important factory - allows all it's citizens a direct involvement in government (it also monitors and tracks all their actions and some say - even their thoughts). The Visegrad have found themselves in a near-constant state of war against the Principality to their south and the many raiders and pirates that exist in the Victorious Night to their north. Their worlds are harsh and the society very rigid and unfair according to outside observers, though an intense police state keeps the Visegradi in line. With the Principality tied up in PATO and focused toward the UN the Visegrad have been free to put all their attention on the Victorious Night where they finally make ground and now exert their own pressure on the many states of the lower-western side of the galaxy. Though recently the "Benign Chelmno Principality'' has broken away, under the rule of Queen Novák who has freed herself of the cyber-democracy and urged her followers to do the same, as they try to create a new society at the fringes of the Alliance.

It's capital is New Warsaw, with the eponymous capital city. Visitors are only welcome under special circumstances and are generally outside the reach of most.
Fun Visegradi fact: Every citizen is quadrilingual, able to effortlessly communicate with any other citizen regardless of their language thanks to their implanted technology.

United Nations

Finally, there is the United Nations. Home of humanity.
The United Nations once ruled a united Earth under the auspicious gaze of the five conglomerates of the security council, but after the calamity that destroyed Earth they now find themselves at the center of the Hegira States in the most advanced and most developed state in the entire galaxy. The UN has faced many challenges but always comes out on top, now it's new Secretary-General strives to reform many parts of UN society that he views as 'outdated' or 'unjust', just how well he’ll do remains to be seen though! The United Nations favours growth and development of its many constituent corporations over all else, and it's the near-total freedom that the corporations enjoy to do as they wish as long as it generates revenue that has allowed the UN to excel. Recently the UN has unlocked the secrets to terraforming technology and began making most of the worlds across it's vast realm habitable, as well as discovering the homeworld of the Irassians - once former rulers of the galaxy in eons gone. While initially hostile and then withdrawn from the rest of the Hegira states and the minor factions that formed after the destruction of Earth, the UN now seeks to unite them once more, in the name of business.
The UN is a long rival of the NAF and is currently fighting it's second war against them, having just won the Battle of Azha some years ago - largest and longest battle ever fought.

Their capital is The Bastion, an immense one hundred kilometre long space habitat orbiting the remains of humanity's home planet of Earth. The UN is always open to visitors, be sure to bring plenty of cash as there's always something to buy and someone willing to sell you something!
Fun UN fact: UN-space is the largest and most populated region of all the galaxy with twenty worlds and almost sixty billion people, human - robot - grammich - endurga and many many other minorities mostly situated on the Bastion.

If members of the Galacity Community wish for a greater state of the galaxy update as of the year 2350. Then that can be arranged.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 30, 2021

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

There's nothing for the fun facts of Imperial China and Patria Grande. Mistake or intentional?

EDIT: Brazil is missing one too.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

LJN92 posted:

There's nothing for the fun facts of Imperial China and Patria Grande. Mistake or intentional?

EDIT: Brazil is missing one too.

"Eh, I'll get back to these."
I did not, in fact come back to em :gonk:

Edit: fixed

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 30, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I noticed that as well and in the back of my mind I just thought it was meant to be a bit spiteful.
But I guess it was just authors oversight then. :v:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Transcript of first recorded broadcast on HKAN 108.1 following transfer of control.

“ – transactions have been suspended until a new leader can be selected. Shareholders are advised to remain indoors and bunkered down until skhrrrrrrcht

“Aaaand get that off the air. GOOOOOD MORNING, VIETNAAAM! You don't argue semantics with the classics, folks, how're we all doing in Hanoi today? Still picking this station up? I sure hope so, because if you're not, you won't even know how much you're missing out on!

“Now, those of you fine fellows who ARE tuned in may wonder where good old Stock Ticker Sally is, this IS the Exchange Report, after all? Well, sad to say there's no sign of her. We think the whole crew has pulled out for grrreener pastures, if you understand my meaning. As there's also no Exchange anymore, well, that would put the whole thing in question, wouldn't it?

“But never you fret, Hanoi, because every time a door shuts a window opens, and in through it climbs yours truly, Mmmmad Marc Mendelsson! Bastion born and bred, Manila and Marine Corps raised, served two tours in the big bad Blue Berets and now here, on the airwaves, for your edification and benefit.

“I've been handed the mic and aux cables here at the 28-15-Oh, as someone needs to spread the Good News while our fighting fellows move on into Ankara and beyond, keep the information flowing to you. And as I have the know-how and the want-to, so I-do! We here at your friendly radio station aim to keep you in the loop on what's actually happening, what you should know, and most importantly, what YOU can do about it. First and foremost, of course, is that we need a new name! Something to reflect our, let's say, broader portfolio. We are, of course, taking suggestions, so please feel free to send those to the Exchange Report inbox, soon to be the whatever-we'll-be-called inbox.

“Secondly, and very importantly, the Humanitarian Command wants you, dear Hanoi, to know that the lockdown is o-fficially lifted! Pause fifteen seconds for applause and celebration. Now, that doesn't mean you should just go out and party in the streets just yet – there's still all kinds of heinous sorts around, especially near Cao Liuxian Market and the Ninety LSE Trunk. That chill that just ran down your spine is not part of the program. Never fear, however, a squad of them PeeGee humanitarios is on their way even as we speak, to make sure these jackasses don't try anything funny with the Trunk. Wave to them if you see them out your window, they wear black and red and they do good work. I should know! Ask your friends in Tehran, who no longer have imperialist nutjobs trying to murder them for existing.

“What you CAN do, and should do, is be careful – but don't be afraid to go out. Find your neighbors, talk to them, figure out what you all can do together for your area. Us Blue Berets are here if everything else fails – your first line of keeping your life in order is you, and the second is everyone you actually know. So go make some friends! Just, probably meet indoors. We'll let you know when all the loud noises have stopped, never you fear.

“Thirdly, and you'll probably be glad to hear this, our new anarchist overlords have declared that they have no interest in being our overlords, because they're anarchists. I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Sec-Gen Gardner is still in charge up in Gay Paree, at least for the moment, and once we finish clearing all the bad men with guns out of the Upper Lowers, we'll probably have more news to tell you as to what exactly we're going to be looking at for the future of the Bastion. I can tell you right now that it's not going to be what it was, because, well, I love you too much to lie to you, Hanoi, so I'll be straight with you. What was, sucked.

“But that's what's great about change! YOU get to make it. All of the yous hearing my wonderful voice today. So take your voice, and get it together with your friends and neighbors, because we have a lot of talking on the way, Bastion. I for one am excited! But, then, I love to talk. I'm sure you couldn't tell.

“For now, though, just sit back, relax, keep one eye on your HyperNet notifications and one ear on this radio station. Soon as there's something to do, you'll see it, and I guarantee that if there is news to hear, you'll hear it here first from us at your Hanoi information station, and from the one and only, Maaad Marc Mendelsson! But for now, some music from out of the archives to soothe your soul. And it has to come out of the archives until we can get the Giraffe Records lock off the modern catalog. But hey! These were hits once for a good reason. Take care of yourselves!”

* The radio starts playing a 2090 remaster of the original Land of Confusion, by Genesis. *

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Part of me wonders what would've happened if the UN wasn't basically sandwiched between the USS and NAF and those two went at each other.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Xelkelvos posted:

Part of me wonders what would've happened if the UN wasn't basically sandwiched between the USS and NAF and those two went at each other.

Before 10 years ago the NAF would have probably just destroyed it's ships on the huge defensive stations the Patria Grande have.
But now, if they were to actually combine all their fleets in to one I think they'd have no trouble conquering the USS.
Narratively, both sides are probably grateful the UN has acted as a buffer - until now.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Crisis Now posted:

Before 10 years ago the NAF would have probably just destroyed it's ships on the huge defensive stations the Patria Grande have.
But now, if they were to actually combine all their fleets in to one I think they'd have no trouble conquering the USS.
Narratively, both sides are probably grateful the UN has acted as a buffer - until now.

Is it a quirk of the system that LOIS is flagged as a corvette?

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Z the IVth posted:

Is it a quirk of the system that LOIS is flagged as a corvette?

I think it's a destroyer class.
And I think the implication, in the vanilla game even, is that the Irassian warship you get from discovering their homeworks was just a standard screening vessel in their navy, of which they had hundreds, and that there were many much larger, more powerful ships than the Lance.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Ive gotten the same ship in my games, and other than it having a titan beam, it is a fragile ship. I would call it a Frigate, a non-player size. 3 small and 2 medium is only fractionally more firepower than a destroyer, which can have 2 mediums and 2 smalls, and its all either anti armor plasma in the mediums, which splash very uselessly against shields, or disruptors in the smalls, which in the base game, ignore armor and shields to attack hull directly. but are extremely low dps and have a hard time killing anything unless used exclusively, and in mass.

Titan beams are the main gun of the next size up ship class from the battleships like Just Good Business. Fallen Empires, which this LP doesnt have any, use unique hulls like LOIS, with tech and hulls the player cannot build themselves to cram gently caress huge guns into smaller hulls. But all of them have a design philosophy that allows you to build against them. The Irassians, based on LOIS, you would build heavy shields, little to no armor, and have shield killing weapons, missiles, and fighters, to combat the Irassian apparent design choices of heavy anti armor, no anti shield, no point defenses, and lack of armor. You would also use lots of light ships, to avoid too heavy of losses to that beam.

Imagine this as a UN or NAF military analysis in character as a post, but i suuuck at that ha!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

winterwerefox posted:

Ive gotten the same ship in my games, and other than it having a titan beam, it is a fragile ship. I would call it a Frigate, a non-player size. 3 small and 2 medium is only fractionally more firepower than a destroyer, which can have 2 mediums and 2 smalls, and its all either anti armor plasma in the mediums, which splash very uselessly against shields, or disruptors in the smalls, which in the base game, ignore armor and shields to attack hull directly. but are extremely low dps and have a hard time killing anything unless used exclusively, and in mass.

Titan beams are the main gun of the next size up ship class from the battleships like Just Good Business. Fallen Empires, which this LP doesnt have any, use unique hulls like LOIS, with tech and hulls the player cannot build themselves to cram gently caress huge guns into smaller hulls. But all of them have a design philosophy that allows you to build against them. The Irassians, based on LOIS, you would build heavy shields, little to no armor, and have shield killing weapons, missiles, and fighters, to combat the Irassian apparent design choices of heavy anti armor, no anti shield, no point defenses, and lack of armor. You would also use lots of light ships, to avoid too heavy of losses to that beam.

Imagine this as a UN or NAF military analysis in character as a post, but i suuuck at that ha!

It's definitely not a base game ship, it's important to note -- the Warbringer (as it's classed in-game) only shows up as far as I can tell via the Ancient Shipyards anomaly around the home star of the Precursors' home system, which is a feature not present in base Stellaris. It also doesn't always show up. This is the one I found, moments before that game choked and died. It is, however, definitely NOT an NCS ship (I think it's actually from Guilli's Planet Mods and Features).

Thunder in the Well here is a very fast ship -- 303 is faster than even a Corvette using the first two or even three thruster technologies. It's also extremely well-shielded and its hull number is in the neighborhood of twice that of a base Destroyer. However, it has functionally zero armor. Weapons that ignore shields (most notably missiles) are going to basically hit it straight in the health pool, and it's vulnerable to kinetics-heavy enemies since once they can batter through its huge shield pool there's no armor that would otherwise reduce the kinetics' damage.

I'm undecided as to exactly WHAT its main weapon is, but it's using the icon for the Tachyon Lance, the upgraded version of the energy Spinal Mount weapon for battleships. A base game Stellaris battleship is nowhere near as deadly as the Just Good Business, but it's also much less expensive to build, and that spinal weapon will still do incredible damage. Thunder in the Well (as we've also seen with the Lance of Irassia) can basically one-shot any destroyer or even most cruisers in the game. The damage is so big, though, that it might be the main weapon of the Titan, which is the super-big ship that was added later with an expansion and which you can only build a limited number of per empire (and the module has the little "T" for Titan Weapon, instead of the "X" for Spinal Mount). However, I can't go back and check because this save file is toast. Its other weapons are extremely high-quality but, as said, very small.

The real problem, though, is that as an event ship, you can't modify the Warbringer in any way -- and that includes its combat computer (or its behavior pattern, in NCS). As a result, when put into a fight, the Warbringer will charge. It will run straight into melee and buzz around like a corvette, which if it's not in a fleet with other ships that can take fire for it, it won't last long. If you were able to, say, give it the Artillery combat computer instead (which the Destroyer has access to as it can technically mount a Large weapon), it would be much more deadly, because then it would sit back out of the fight taking Boom Headshots with its death ray. It WILL always target the strongest ship with the death ray, for what it's worth -- the way Crisis Now has been depicting Commodore White's tactics is exactly reflective of how the Warbringer fights in game.

Event ships, incidentally, are unique ships spawned from anomalies and other events in Stellaris -- the base game has a number and the expansions and mods have added more. They're... a very mixed bag. Some of them you are actually not allowed to merge with your normal fleets, for reasons that totally escape me. Others you can. Some don't take up fleet capacity, others do. There's some reason to this -- you're not allowed to merge, say, any friendly space alien ships you might find with your normal fleets as you can't put an admiral on the bridge of a Space Amoeba -- but in other times, not (why can you merge the Seafallen Cruiser with fleets but you're not allowed to do so with the Gas Giant Salvage cruiser?).

And NO event ship can be modified. Any ship you build yourself, you can go into the Ship Builder and change its loadout to make it work differently or upgrade it to new technology. Event ships, you can't. So if the Warbringer, for example, had only Level 2 engines or power plant? Even after you've researched the Level 3 ones yourself, there's no way to retrofit them onto an event ship. This means that a lot of event ships have a very limited lifespan as they get hard-obsoleted by the passage of technology.

The Lance of Irassia fortunately doesn't have THAT problem -- there's no technology that's better than what it has, and its main death ray will never be irrelevant -- but being unable to tell it not to charge headfirst into combat means that its effective use lifespan is still limited because eventually the UN's enemies will have enough ships and deadly enough weapons that they can kill it dead before it can escape.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 31, 2021

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

If its from the precursor shipyard, then yes, that would be Guilli's Planetary Modifiers. Had the mounts remembered backwards in the Plasma/Disruptor split.

Weapons tech in Stellaris are of a few broad categories. Energy, Ballistic, and Missiles are the basic starting weapons tech. Lasers get +50% vs armor, -50% vs shields, Drivers get -50% vs armor, +50% vs shields. Missiles ignore shields, do +25% vs hull, but require specialized mounts that are in limited supply. More specialized weapons modify these numbers, but the idea is the same. LOIS would last a decent long time against itself, barring its main Lance. The plasma cannons do -75% against shields. Disruptors typically have 25% of the dps of a similar tech weapon system, but being medium mounts, its likely to die from those before its shields drop from plasma fire. For all LOIS' speed, she is not very agile, and against peer targeting systems, would effectively have 0-10% evasion.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
2350 - 2354

Bastion Commune
Head-representative of BasCon & (provisional) General-Secretary of the commune Olivia Gardner

It is seven months since the Bastion was liberated. Since Commodore White jump-drived that ancient monster directly inside our home (which took considerable difficulty getting out again) and brought with her an escort carrier filled with PeeGee revolutionaries. I dread to think what would have happened though if she had not, would I now be hurtling toward Mars or Venus in the detached upper-most section of the Bastion with Cross, as everyone beneath suffocated while the oxygen slipped away through the ten kilometre wide gap we would have left behind.

The number of lives lost in the revolution will likely never be known for sure, but estimates put the lower end at fifty million and the upper end at three hundred million. That's more than the number of people killed in the third world war - if the old propaganda is to be believed. To be quite honest I think even we had lost track of what was lie and what was truth. It's not as if they pulled every Upper to one side and went "That piece of propaganda / media right there? total fabrication", we all bought into the superiority of the corporations and the capitalist system, just that some of us got to benefit from it while those beneath bidded their time, for centuries and generations it seems.

But really, I should consider myself lucky to be alive at all considering who I am, what I've done - unlike many of my contemporaries who were put up against the wall or loaded like cattle onto mining haulers and given a way-one trip to close orbit over the sun. I had even inadvertently done most of the work of them - those that had I suspected of being sympathetic to Cross' cause and had rounded up - were some of their biggest targets for retribution. Some groups are calling for a reprieve to let the new regime be a blank slate while others are less lenient, demanding every last Upper be killed, myself include. They do not take kindly to the fact that I am still at the top of this tower.

Though I am now General-Secretary, it is merely a symbolic role - at least while I occupy it, given that I was once head of one of the conglomerates I am deemed too much of a risk to be allowed to operate as part of the new political apparatus of Bastion. I am merely a figurehead, to give the new regime an air of legitimacy - and it will probably help with the Bastion's new image if the other planets see a familiar face incharge when the storm clears. As well as that I have found myself the head-representative of the Bastion Control, not the owner as I was with StellarX, no one person really owns anything anymore in this place, we all collectively take possession and responsibility for the running of everything now through the various syndicates that have formed.

Bastion Control, or BasCon (or rather obnoxiously by some they omit the S and we just become 'Bacon') is incharge of the administration, communication and outward diplomacy of the Bastion: in essence we keep the lights on, the phones working and the enemies away. Everything beyond that is under the purview of the other twenty three Syndicates that have formed in the collapse and breaking apart of the many corporations that once ran every aspect of life.

The influence and legacy of the old corporations has perhaps not gone away quite as much as the revolutionaries would have liked and in many ways it seems the new Syndicates have taken their place. Each Syndicate does seem to genuinely care for and wish to provide the most it can for it's workers - which only makes sense when the workers are also the operators of the Syndicates. But it seems, old divisions caused by generations of working for the same company still persists somewhat, and people are loyal more so to their individual syndicate than they are to the Bastion overall. And a sense of shared solidarity seemed to slowly slip away after the revolution was won. It is part of BasCon's job as the administrators to keep the syndicates in line and observe them but they in turn are allowed and expected to send their own observers to check on us, everyone is watching everyone and ensuring no one acts dishonestly or immorally.

DMT-Maglev from Addis Ababa to Jakarta

My Tehran mansion is gone - ironically destroyed by the very people I had paid to protect it. The fifteen Russian mercenaries of the Soyuz Konglomerative who once protected the premises were forced to turn it into their makeshift fortress when the Imperialist-aligned forces approached. Not that it would have mattered much now that all the mansions and palaces that survived the battle are being bulldozed and new modern spacious apartment complexes going up in their place. Apparently the overcrowding problem that has plagued the Lower sections for the past century will soon be over, UNIDO has been exceedingly busy since the revolution, completely revamping almost every area of the Bastion and amplifying the efforts Vance Blair started in updating the decaying tenement-supercomplexes and crumbling infrastructure the Lower sections relied on.

Healthcare and education once reserved only for the Uppers is now entirely free and readily accessible to all aboard the Bastion. The various private clinics, hospitals and health centers and all the great centers of education now fall beneath The UNHS and UNBOE respectively. With all the syndicates providing a large percentage of their goods / profits / services as a form of tax, that Bastion Control dictates how best to distribute back to the people.

After four months, UN forces with aid from the CSPG Humanitarian Fleet had stamped out the last of the corporate holdouts and imperialist-aligned forces and things began to settle down again. I called an end to the martial law and state of emergency that had gripped the Bastion almost since the start of the cosmic storms (though they still persist) and the Patria Grande left only a handful of advisors and diplomats to establish the CSPG embassy in Paris, as their fleet was needed urgly in their war against the United African Empire.

We have arrived in the Zaurak system in the heart of the Western Frontier after our three-year long retreat from the Polaris system until we could find a system not affected by the storms. We are down to under half strength, thankfully the forced-hyperdrive jump across the Polaris system to neighbouring Subra only cost us three corvettes and two destroyers, the other cruisers were destroyed in the massacre at Polaris.

The storms have caused chaos for the now isolated Joranrir System. Bartolomeu's Cartel - largest of the smuggler gangs tried to seize control of the capital in all the confusion, many of the bribed officials siding with the smugglers and gangsters but unfortunately for them the second largest largest criminal organization in the Western Frontier - the Fleet of the Sons of Liberty (FOSOL) - (formed of NAF defectors turned petty warlords in their stolen corvettes that terrorize UNICA colonies and settlements) fought them fiercely and the streets of Odysseus became a warzone - until the UNN arrived and restored order.

With order in Joranrir restored and still no word from The Bastion or UNN Command, I order the docks on Lisbon to repair the ships of the UNN and begin emergency construction of as many new ships as possible, requisitioning every resource available to me.

Thankfully, from what we can see into the neighbouring Botein system it seems the invading Brazillian fleets have not fared well against the defences of the Botein station at all. It is strange that the ships of Prince-Admiral Patricio would dive head first into the storm and suffer the same fate as we did in Polaris - my only guess is that storms are not so severe in the systems of the Principality and so they had not expected to have their ships become so erratic and uncontrollable. With any luck they will still be stuck there by the time Lisbon restocks / rearms / rebuilds the UNN and we may have a chance to apprehend one of the most powerful people in the Brazillian Principality (instead of instantly vaporizing them as White is so inclined to do)

Bastion Commune
General-Secretary Olivia Gardner

Though the storms persist and we cannot very well get outside of the Solar System we have at least already brought Mars and Venus under the sway of the revolution - their populations are miniscule compared to the Bastion and they are for the most part still reliant on us for their supplies and food as they still establish themselves. When DUST and Sov.Inc ships arrived on the surface they brought with them BasCon soldiers (more like a very heavily armed police force that protects the most vital areas of the Bastion) who informed the governors of the two planets of the new regime and the fall of the corporations. They were given a simple choice - surrender and cooperate with the BasCon military or be imprisoned for the rest of their days, thankfully the Upper population on both planets saw the light and conceded. Though it seems many had already departed from Mars - after Cross fled the Bastion many of the Upper residents went to Mars (when the revolution was still undecided) and took with them many executives to systems deeper in UN space.

Upon returning to the Bastion, the soldiers of our syndicate bring a strange report from UNICA operating on Venus.
There is across the whole surface of the planet a strange sort of singing? An ambient sort of song that permeates the very air itself.

Venus it would seem was inhabited at one point in time. Though not extensively - more like an outpost of some ancient alien species, and not belonging to the Irassians. When man was first learning to walk upright and utter their first words these aliens were conducting their research on Venus which probably looked more akin to Earth at the time.

The research project was trying to create some kind of unified consciousness - a hive mind, believing they could create the perfect society if all the members of their species shared the same thoughts, the same feelings and break all barriers between one another. They thought they had succeeded in their research and set about seeding the atmosphere of Venus so they could bloom into their new form - The plants that now inhabit the ancient ruins. Whether this was the intended cause or not remains unknown.

The "singing" heard all across Venus is anything but - in the voice of these new alien forms it is a scream. A unified howl of anguish across an entire species - or at least the ones present on Venus. Given the state of Venus for the past few million years before UNICA did their magic, it can only be assumed that the rest of this alien species upon learning what had happened either bombarded Venus or somehow triggered the runaway greenhouse effect in hopes of cleansing the planet or removing any trace of what had been done.

The true nature of the "singing" is kept secret, lest no one would wish to inhabit Venus knowing there are a million alien-plants perpetually screaming in pain. Against the recommendation of the Bastion, UNICA has already decided to designate Venus a "resort planet", limiting the construction that can take place there and trying to draw more people in. There is nothing we can do for these million-year old creatures, and removed of any context the 'singining' is quite pleasant to the ear.

Until now, the ships of the United Nations Navy have been rudimentary at best, entirely function over form and made for the lowest cost possible by the old penny pinching corporations. Before their dissolution Standard Dynamics had a number of hypothetical ship designs that were more than likely going to remain just that - hypothetical. But with some slight changes and updates with current technology I order a complete overhaul and updating of the ships of the UN. When contact is regained with the UNN they will return to the Bastion to have their old ships broken down and new ones made in their stead.

This leads to the development of the Hornet Corvette, the Archer Destroyer, Striker Cruiser and Bastion Battleship. The two Pinnacle-class battleships that members of the Union of Shipwrights commandeered and steered out into space rather than leave for the Imperialists to seize have been put back into service. Unfortunately those that took the ships out into the space outside the Bastion perished, when their minimal supplies ran out they chose to vent the ships and suffer a relatively painless death in the airless void than slowly starve to death. The 'Pinnacle Martyrs' are just some of the highly esteemed and venerated revolutionaries from the overthrow of the corporations.

And possibly the most critical and paradigm-altering technologies that will be utilized in the new ships and eventually across all of UN society in short time no doubt - is that of fully self-aware, self-learning and sapient intelligence. After centuries of intentionally holding back research and development in artificial intelligence, the singularity may have finally been achieved and machines as smart (and certainly in no short time - smarter) than humans now exist in the UN. How to utilize this new technology or regulate (if at all) is still entirely unknown and is the cause of much debate across all the new syndicates. It is believed Vance Blair's goal was to eventually automate society and make it so all major decision making was up to this new self-regulating and governing intelligence, freeing the Lowers of their reliance on employment by the Uppers and ending the Upper's grip on power.

For now the new intelligence is going to be used as the core system of each and every new ship built in the Manila shipyards. Just like LOIS, every ship in the UN will have its own mind and personality - the exact ethical and moral implications of this are again cause of much debate. Is each ship equal in standing to a human, will it get a say in decision making on a tactical and strategic level? There is still much that will need to be figured out.
The other first major application is to oversee and manage security systems aboard the Bastion that can act truly impartial and outside of any corrupting influence.

The two Pinnacle-class battleships form the core of a new fleet to be based out of the Bastion, and the Manila dockyards are hard at work constructing new ships. Tan Haneui, a Lower-born former trade vessel helmswoman for a Congo freighter is appointed commodore of the new fleet (Admiral is solely reserved for the overall leader of all UN naval forces). Jillian White and her ragtag band of trucker-captains have been keeping the peace in the Solar System in the meantime, as it seems the unique propulsion system of the Lance leaves it largely unaffected by the storm, and the Lance has been aiding stranded vessels where possible.

On June 25th 2351, Storm Bonnie at long last dissipates. Space travel and trade can resume, communication is re-established with the rest of the UN, with the UNN and they can all be informed of the events that occured on the Bastion, and our new government.

"What the absolute gently caress did you just say?!" Admiral Curtis stood bolt upright from her commander's seat, glaring at her comms officer who clutched the print-out of the message received from Sol.

"U-uh well, ma'am. It's a transmission from The Bastion, admiral. From General-Secretary Gardner" The Monarch's comms officer double then tripled checked the sheet before repeating the words again "Of the Bastion Control Syndicate.... of the Bastion Commune"

"Bastion....Commune?!" Curtis scowled and stormed over, snatching the sheet from the officer to check herself.

"To all citizens, planets, organizations and former-corporations of the United Nations. Effect immediately the rule of corporatocracy has ceased! A coup instigated by Patrick Cross in an attempt to overthrow the Security Council and install an imperialist-regime has been countered by a socialist revolution of the Lower sections of the Bastion. - - "

Curtis scanned her eyes the sheet and got to a lower paragraph, her mood only worsening.

" - - Any corporations still operating within UN space will be dismantled and co-opted by it's employees so a new council or syndicate can be formed. Any and all property owned by 'Uppers' will be requisitioned and redistributed as seen fit to provide the most aid to the new regime and benefit the people of the United Nations. We trust we have the full support of the United Nations Navy who will aid in facilitating these changes in a swift and timely manner so the conflict against the New American Federation can be resumed, with the new goal of installing a socialist government in New Colorado."

Admiral Curtis scrunched up the sheet and threw it at the ground before stamping on it and taking her seat again, glaring at the holographic map of the Jorarnrir System in the middle of the Monarch's bridge, the most uncomfortable silence possible falling over the ship's command deck.

"Admiral...?"

"How many ships does the UNN now have?" Curtis finally spoke after a few minutes, her hands wringing the armrests of the commander's seat pensively.

"We're at 80% strength ma'am, a few cruisers missing."

"The martial law on Lisbon will continue indefinitely, they will keep working under UNN supervision and they will keep making us ships - until every scrap of metal from that planet has been turned into a weapon for us to wield. We have a new enemy."

"Woah, hey Dad, long time no see.. or hear. Say, Flinchtm streaming services seem to be down, could you go pester your friends on the Congo board to get round to fixing it.

"Listen, and don't say a loving word you imbecile. That idiot Cross jumped the gun, and now the Bastion is lost - our home is gone. Your mother and sisters... I couldn't get them off the Bastion, they've either been killed.. or if they're still alive, they're now working with the new regime. Either way they're gone."

"W..what? That's pretty yikes Dad"

"For fucks sake, shut up. There's communists and anarchists running the UN. You need to bring Battlefleet whatever you call it to Pontianak yesterday. Do not accept any orders from Curtis, destroy any military vessels you encounter - assume they are the enemy. We cannot allow the old ways to be brought down by these petulant peasants. You are going to make sure of that, my boy. My admiral."

"Choice. Battlefleet Biz-ness will be there in a year in a bit, don't you worry about a thing!"

Two months and two days after the end of Storm Bonnie the Bastion receives back it's first communication from the UNN in seven years.
And it is in the form of a denouncement of the new regime and a complete and utter refusal to acknowledge its legitimacy - still claiming to fight for the rightful UN and now seeks to establish the Security Council and rule-by-corporation.

The Drumbeat of Victory faction - or simply known as 'The Drummers' has become the new political arm of the UNN, with only a handful of representatives acually aboard the Bastion.
The UNN jams all communications past the Free City of Regulus, the entire Western Frontier goes dark.

The United Nations is now at war with it's own navy.

Following the UNN's betrayal, the immediate and emergency expansion of the Bastion Fleet is called for, with every syndicate fervently working together to bring the new ships up to working order as fast as possible.
Jillian White is promoted at once to become the new admiral of the new UN Navy, with the Lance of Irassia acting as the fast mobile command center.

"Hello again United Nations" It was the voice of Patrick Cross "We've had quite a turbulent few years have we not? Storms, battles, revolution. And now the people of the UN - or at least the Bastion are finally in a position to become the dictators they've always deserved to be, free of the rule of the tyrannical, short-sighted and selfish corps. Bravo.

Hayden Curtis and her drummers cling to the old ways when it has been clearly shown that the people of the United Nations strive for something greater.
Let it never be said, that I have never held the interests of all the United Nations at heart.
I killed the leader of the Upper Residents, I killed the leader of the Bastion Stock Exchange, I brought the worst of the corporations together so you - the people - may find an easier target for your righteous retribution. And yes, I killed Vance Blair. I took no pleasure in it. He showed us the door, but my killing opened that door, and sparked the match that brought this whole sordid house of cards down.

And so with that in mind I formally announce my creation of the 'Socialist Alternative Committee'. A think tank for our new age, to safeguard the socialist society we all have forged together and to advocate only the fairest, most egalitarian of policies and initiatives to help you -the people- excel.

The United Nations is lost.
Olivia Gardner has failed her role as emergency-coordinator. She has allowed communists to seize control of the Bastion and take command of all the central government of the United Nations. She has forsaken her corporation, her friends, family and all that her predecessors had spent centuries building up. The Bastion 'Commune' is an illegitimate junta by mob rule! All sense of order and civility will be torn away in the name of 'equality' and stealing from the hard working and prosperous Uppers so Lower scoungers may languish in the depravity of their 'syndicates' - a cruel mockery of the corporations that have brought the UN power, prosperity, pride and profit.

And so, with the aid of the United Mining corporation I, Elliot Blake, declare myself grand marshal of the United States of Pontianak.
Long live the corporations! Death to the false revolution!

It is four months after the end of Storm Bonnie.

The Western half of the UN, the heavily militarized and battle-hardened systems of the frontier have sided with (or otherwise been coerced) into aiding Admiral Curtis in trying to overthrow the new regime.

The eastern end of the Un has seceded, aided by the most powerful remnants of the old corporations. They've taken with them the planets of Pontianak, Reykjavik, Busan, Little Rotterdam, Omaha and Lagos. Some of the most populated, and resource-rich areas of the UN, providing most of the food and mineral / alloy income for the Bastion.

The UN is still at war with the New American Federation it must be said, whose navy is now easily the largest and most powerful in the galaxy.

And Patrick Cross is doing God knows what.

The UN has not been in a more precarious position perhaps since the destruction of Earth itself. But the people of the Bastion are steadfast, they will not give up, they have fought and bled too much and for too long to give up now. The revolution lives to prosper or it dies trying, there can be no compromise in the pursuit of freedom.

New Salt Lake City has fallen, UN garrisons fail to withstand overwhelming NAF attacks from their ground forces and the city falls and a few tens of thousands of UN peacekeepers are taken prisoner to be shipped off to the Denver workcamps.

The Colorado Fleet has entered the Beid system. (with any luck the UNN will be kept busy by them)

The Washington Fleet has entered the Subra system. The last of the UN's hold on the NAF frontline collapses as the New American fleets regain control of their territory and begin to advance into UN space proper.

Despite being only weeks old the new United States of Pontianak has acquired its own navy - or rather, Battlefleet Business has shown its true colours and sworn allegiance to the new republic.
With little time for the UN to prepare a proper defence, the United States Navy is detected entering the Alpha Centauri system.

The Bastion Fleet has barely had any time to reinforce, with only eight new cruisers to complement the two pinnacle-class battleships - completely missing the eight new battleships and forty-two screen vessels.

But still it departs from the Bastion, with an inexperienced crew, and only three-quarters of it's ammunition and fuel stores, the Lance of Irassia leading the way.

Admiral McCreary

"What's up Pontianak? You know him, you love him. That's right. It's Danger Close. Not Captain Not Commodore, no no, Admiral Danger Close. Heh, yeah that's right. We're here in Alpha Centauri about to show the commies the true meaning of hostile takeover. Hah! Now would you believe those dreebs over in Cardiff refused the gracious offer my old man gave them in joining all you - the good and noble people of the USP. Now, I you all know I hate to pick on such an easy tar- wait, what's this I see on my little radar here- Why if it isn't the great and wonderful Jillian White"

Bastion Fleet
Admiral White

"USN-Just Good Business targeted, ready to fire, Admiral" LOIS chirped merrily, putting extra emphasis on the 'admiral'.

"No, not yet. Let the Bastion Fleet whittle them down, I want to at least enjoy letting him to see his failure before I remove him from existence."

As the Bastion Fleet and United States Navy closed they engaged in one of fiercest engagements since the opening weeks of the Battle of Azha, except there has been some engine / thruster upgrades to the ships since then, the the battle is drawn in to close quarters much quicker, with battleships on both sides putting out fleet's worth of firepower.

The two pinnacle-class battleships make use of their prototype versions of the Lance's great weapon, instantly vaporizing the two cruisers the USN has at its disposal.

Unfortunately it seems when the many Uppers fled the Bastion to Pontianak they took with them a great deal of state and military secrets. - The Just Good Business has its own prototype-lance.

Within only a fortnight, the battle is already decided, as the USN ships are destroyed. Only the Just Good Business remains.

But it flees, before the killing blow can be dealt.

"All ships prepare to jump to 61 Cygni at once. We cannot allow Just Good Business to get away."

The Lance of Irassia, being multitudes of times faster than other other ships, arrived in 61 Cygni - location of Pontianak and the capital of the secession - before any other ship, finding itself face to face with the former commander of the Battlefleet Business.

"Just you and me Jill. The best ship the UN ever made, and your relic"

"LOIS, target the Just Good Business and fire at once."
"Yes Admiral!"

- - -

- - -

Admiral McCreary

The radiant otherworldly blue light of the Lance's main beam (same colour as the tears in reality it jumps through one may add) shone out a cross the 61 Cygni system, even visible from the surface of Pontianak as a bright blue flash in the sky. The Just Good Business' shields lit up, directing all their energy to the front to counteract the immense force being direct at it by the Lance. And then it dissipated. The beam faded, and the Just Good Business remained, perfectly intact.

"Is that it?! I'm still here, Jill!"

"Admiral, we have no shields! Power core is shot, weapons are barely functioning, thrusters only working at minimum, hyperdrive overloaded...."

"I'm the best there's ever been Jill! No one beats Danger Close!"

"Admiral! Bastion-Fleet has entered the system. We're defenceless, we have to surrender!"

"The best..."

The destruction of Battlefleet Business is complete, the United States of Pontianak has no navy (though no doubt is quickly assembling a new one deeper into their territory) and Pontianak itself is left unguarded. The United Nations Marine Corps is dispatched at once from the Bastion to begin the liberation.

The Lance of Irassia has found a new role perfectly suited for it as the command vessel of the Bastion's fleet, able to stay at the rear and fire the Lance from near enough any distance and use it's arcane thrusters to constantly remain ahead of any enemies that pursue it all the while Admiral White can command the other ships. Speed and unorthodox tactics is the name of her game.

In 2353 the United Nations Navy entered the Alderamin System, at the same time the Washington Fleet had crossed the border and began assaulting the Mirach Station. Time is running out to quell the USP secession so the Bastion's fleet can direct its attention to the invading New Americans and the Naval Revolt.

Thankfully it seems the Drummers (still seeing themselves as the legitimate administration of the UN) also don't appreciate United Mining trying to pull systems away from the UN to form it's own new republic. Under the guise of a negotiation to combine forces against the Bastion, the governor of Pontianak and one of the most powerful people in the USP flies out to the Western Frontier and boards a diplomatic vessel of the UNN - only to find it empty, a trap. The ship explodes, destroying his own along with it and all his entourage.

To try and keep the New American Federation off of the UN's back, great new efforts are being undertaken to undermine them clandestinely. Huge sums of the corporate wealth requisitioned after the revolution is now being used to fund and promote pirates, privateers and smugglers inside NAF space to try and draw their fleets away from the frontline.

General David Moss once again took up his position aboard a UNMC dropship as it hurtled toward the surface of Pontianak. Just as he had done in New Houston, New Salt Lake, the liberation of The Bastion. He had no reason to think this time would be any different, and the people of Pontianak would welcome the liberation force with open arms and overthrow the corps that had kept them down.

Pontianak was not like the other invasions.
The people of Pontianak did not desire liberation.
They were perfectly content to exist now outside of UN control. For three generations they had lived on their new world, new nationstates had formed across the planet beneath the watchful gaze of UNICA. Nationstates that the populace of Pontianak felt more devotion and loyalty to than to some far-off space habitat they had never been to, but had always been ordered around by and seen all their resources disappear to. The decades of United Mining propaganda and media probably helped too.
Either way - the UNMC expected a handful of small PMCs or Corporate-aligned military units. Instead the whole planet rose up to fend off the invasion.

There is not a single survivor of the UNMC invasion. Those that surrender are executed, including General Moss, hero of the Basiton slain by the people he wished to help.

A huge conscription drive is initiated across the UN to form a new marine corps, from the Bastion / Mars / Venus / Cardiff / Phoenix / and the worlds of Irass. There is little time to train their to the absolute best of their abilities as reining in the USP as quickly as possible is of the utmost priority. The only hope is that overwhelming numbers and the bombardment of Pontianak that is about to commence will see the 2nd invasion go better. Jillian White remains in orbit over Pontianak, bombarding key infrastructure and military targets with her screen trucker-ships, raining nuclear missiles down onto the surface.
The rest of the Bastion fleet moves to recapture the various space stations in USP space to deprive them of any communications or hyperlane network and more importantly to stop them constructing any new ships - and to also allow the ships of the Space Miner Association access to the mineral-rich mining sites once more.

Tehran was buzzing with activity, far more than it ever saw under the old regime, as the maybe few thousand corporate families that once occupied the district were now replaced with a few dozen million workers. The palaces are gone, tall white gleaming towers in their place. General-Secretary Gardner had slowly begun to adjust to her new more meager life compared to the lavish and elegant existence she led before. Though it at the very least made her appreciate just a modicum of what the Lowers had to put up with all their lives and now she strode to improve every aspect of their lives - because it meant improvements to her own at same time.
Her apartment was the top of the Legacy Quay apartment block, some twenty thousand people lived beneath her, but all of their apartments were near enough identical - they were immeasurably better than the cramped dozen-plus inhabitant hovels the Lowers used to inhabit. There was a brown-wrapped package sitting outside the front of Gardner's apartment door and as she picked it up she turned over the label fastened to it and it simply had one word scrawled on it.

'Traitor'

A second later the top four floors of the Legacy Quay were engulfed in fire and shrapnel.

With Gardner's untimely demise, the United Nations begins preparations to hold its first democatic election.

Milky Way in 2354

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Well this definitely isn't the story of a nice, humane socialist government fixing all the problems.