Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

Talk about Battlestar Galactica for whichever series you want. You've got the 78 series, the 2004 series and the upcoming series we know next to nothing about.

I just watched the sex comedy episode of the 2004 series (Where Ellen Tigh is found alive and well and starts hitting on everyone) and I wondered what the gently caress they were thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I like how the BSG effects from the OG show are used for Space Mutiny

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

I like how the Saga of a Star World pilot uses every single special effects shot into he series budget and then the rest of the show recycles into madness.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

My recollection is that the 1978 BSG producers got screwed by the network, because they went into the project thinking they were going to do a series of made-for-TV movies at a rate of one a month or so - which would have been far more feasible with late-70s technology - and then ABC turned around and said "that was great, we're ordering a full season of weekly episodes!" and left them scrambling for both scripts and opticals.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Talk about Battlestar Galactica for whichever series you want. You've got the 78 series, the 2004 series and the upcoming series we know next to nothing about.

But we don't talk about Galactica 1980

That's fair enough

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

Cerv posted:

But we don't talk about Galactica 1980

That's fair enough

I dont know what you're talking about, that never happened what do you mean Dirk Benedict spent an episode pulling around with a Cylon after crashing on a moon?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

The last season of BSG remake is underrated, Gaeta and Zarek's coup, Galactica physically reaching its limits just from all the pounding she's taken and there desperate attempts to save her, the total despair everyone is in after finding Nuked Earth and having to find some way to move on despite that, the Cylon Rebels joining the fleet, its a lot of cool stuff. It does have a ton of flaws and less good EPISODES than most of the show, but its still got plenty of great parts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sanguinia posted:

The last season of BSG remake is underrated, Gaeta and Zarek's coup, Galactica physically reaching its limits just from all the pounding she's taken and there desperate attempts to save her, the total despair everyone is in after finding Nuked Earth and having to find some way to move on despite that, the Cylon Rebels joining the fleet, its a lot of cool stuff. It does have a ton of flaws and less good EPISODES than most of the show, but its still got plenty of great parts.

Dean Stockwell's character going "frak this" and killing himself so he doesn't have to deal with the finale is pretty good too

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 4, 2021

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

Dean Stockwell was easily the best Cylon actor and he just gave no shits about anyone. The Plan was a lovely made for TV movie but it was fun to watch because most of it was Cavil being an rear end in a top hat to people between episodes and making fun of the #5 Doral Cylons for being so unimaginative that their attempts to be different amounted to changing the color of their shirt.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I might've been 5 or 6, around the time of the original series (are we allowed to call it TOS? lmao), a friend of mine and I would hide from Cylons in a closet.

Also, the first season of the remake was a perfect encapsulation of the post 2001 mindset. It was so good at the time, wonder if it holds up.

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

The miniseries is a bit too slow but it does capture the immediate 9/11 "we're under attack and can't do a goddamn thing about it" panic, and then Season 1 is arguably the best overall season of the show with the way it builds up to the strike back against the Cylons in The Hand of God. You keep running from the schoolyard bully until one day you stop, turn around and punch him in the face. It earns that happy victory scene after ten episodes of unrelenting stress.

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

I'm onto Kobol's Last Gleaming Part 2 and the scene where Starbuck grabs the arrow of apollo there's a cameraman standing right in the shot and I can't unsee it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just watched the sex comedy episode of the 2004 series (Where Ellen Tigh is found alive and well and starts hitting on everyone) and I wondered what the gently caress they were thinking.

The rewatch podcast Tricia Helfer did (Battlestar Galacticast) had Edward James Olmos on for that episode and he talked about the process where it got made. Basically the network was like "every episode is too serious and too tied into other episodes, we need a one-off that has levity."

Overall I recommend listening to that podcast episode, since it has Edward James Olmos on it

Sanguinia posted:

The coup episodes are legit good. But I quit watching after that point, because it's really obvious they had no idea how to wrap up. I mean, seriously. The penultimate episode is about the organization of the Quorum of Twelve to be based on what ship you live on, one episode before they quit living on ships?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 5, 2021

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

Everything after New Caprica just kind of drifts and it has no forward momentum anymore. All that's left are the occasionally great one off episodes like Tyrol launching a union revolt on the fuel ships.

Of course then you also have stupid episodes like the only other doctor in the fleet being a space racist who somehow got away with murdering people from the anti-vaxxer planet for three years before anyone caught on in a fleet of less than 50,000 people.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

low vis

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everything after New Caprica just kind of drifts and it has no forward momentum anymore. All that's left are the occasionally great one off episodes like Tyrol launching a union revolt on the fuel ships.

Of course then you also have stupid episodes like the only other doctor in the fleet being a space racist who somehow got away with murdering people from the anti-vaxxer planet for three years before anyone caught on in a fleet of less than 50,000 people.

I've said it repeatedly now but for as shocking and brilliant in the moment as ONE YEAR LATER was, it fundamentally broke the show and they just never recovered from it narratively speaking.

Arcsquad12
Mar 4, 2013

I Love Satan

All this has been said before and all this will be said again?

Is there a good source for the production notes of the show? I know that Zoic Studios did the VFX work for Season 1 because they have a very clear and recognizable style, and from what I've gleaned Season 2 and parts of 3 were done by an in-house team and people from Atmosphere Effects from Vancouver.

But Season 4's cgi feels wildly different in terms of direction and texture work from the rest of the series. I dont know if this was the in-house team or a different vfx studio and I haven't been able to find much information on Season 4s production apart from the writers strike killing so many projects.

Arcsquad12 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 5, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

nine-gear crow posted:

I've said it repeatedly now but for as shocking and brilliant in the moment as ONE YEAR LATER was, it fundamentally broke the show and they just never recovered from it narratively speaking.

Can you elaborate on this? Because I don't really agree, I think Season 3 is incredibly good, although not as good as the show's peak in S 2 since it takes a few shortcuts with its larger narrative to make certain episodes happen and does admittedly have a few weak episodes in the run. The thing that broke the show and that they never managed to recover from was the reveal of the Final Five and Starbuck's return from the dead. Those two things were such enormous bombshells that the fallout they caused would have been hard for anyone to manage, but BSG did so in a particularly unspectacular way that led to the show on the whole falling apart and proving mostly unable to deliver good complete episode stories despite the presence of quite a lot of good parts in its last run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

low vis

Sanguinia posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Because I don't really agree, I think Season 3 is incredibly good, although not as good as the show's peak in S 2 since it takes a few shortcuts with its larger narrative to make certain episodes happen and does admittedly have a few weak episodes in the run. The thing that broke the show and that they never managed to recover from was the reveal of the Final Five and Starbuck's return from the dead. Those two things were such enormous bombshells that the fallout they caused would have been hard for anyone to manage, but BSG did so in a particularly unspectacular way that led to the show on the whole falling apart and proving mostly unable to deliver good complete episode stories despite the presence of quite a lot of good parts in its last run.

The need to even create the Final Five as a plot point goes right back to ONE YEAR LATER though. They'd only managed to reveal seven Cylons up to that point and then willingly thrust themselves into a put up or shut up situation with the Cylon occupation of New Caprica where they either had to immediately reveal the remaining five models still out there in the shadows, or rip their own leg off to get out of the bear trap and come up with a contrived explanation for why the remaining five just didn't seem to exist. They chose the latter and it was all down hill from there.

It's Ron Moore Season Finale Cliffhanger 101: come up with a shocking ending and make the leap without anything even planned out past "Mr. Worf... fire." Been that way since Star Trek TNG and it came home to roost on BSG like the Konovalov blowing itself up with its own torpedo at the end of The Hunt for Red October.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 6, 2021