Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess so yeah, the ship was taking Roslin to and from the Galactica for the museum ceremony.

Correct. She was en route back to Caprica following the decommissioning when word came of the Cylon attacks on the colonies. Roslin then orders the captain to respond to an automated beacon with her Colonial ID, and then the beacon spits back that she's the new president because everyone else in the line of succession is dead. (I think she was 43rd in line, which always tickled me because that was the number I wore in baseball oh so long ago before my knee exploded.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only thing Zarek did wrong was murdering the entire quorum after not getting his way.

e: Nah, I'm mostly being contrarian. Aside from the 'no cylons' nativism, he probably could have gotten a lot of the fleet on his and Gaeta's side without the cold-blooded murder of the Quorum.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 3, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I need something else to watch now, any suggestions? Something with sci-fi and space ships. Not Expanse or Firefly cause I've already seen them in the last couple years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need something else to watch now, any suggestions? Something with sci-fi and space ships. Not Expanse or Firefly cause I've already seen them in the last couple years.

Have you ever watched Space: Above and Beyond?

It's not... great, but it has its charm.

Or you could plunge into Legend of the Galactic Heroes if you're into Space Napoleonic Wars with pretty anime boys doing line of battle engagements with thousands of warships.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Arc Hammer posted:

Or you could plunge into Legend of the Galactic Heroes if you're into Space Napoleonic Wars with pretty anime boys doing line of battle engagements with thousands of warships.

I've never heard of either.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Babylon 5.

There's a blind watch thread and everything, if you feel like recording your thoughts along the way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can I get a quick elevator pitch for Babylon 5 and the Space Above and Beyond show? I’ve heard of Babylon 5 just from osmosis but know nothing about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Space Above and Beyond: United States Marine Corps aviators flying starfighters against alien invaders with a side of racism against genetically modified humans thrown in.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can I get a quick elevator pitch for Babylon 5 and the Space Above and Beyond show? I’ve heard of Babylon 5 just from osmosis but know nothing about it.

I was tempted to just paste in the opening-credits narration here, but here goes: Babylon 5 is a large space station that was built in the aftermath of a brutal war, to serve as a neutral territory where humans and the various alien races could all stay in contact and work out their differences, hopefully peacefully. It features very detailed worldbuilding and long overlapping plot arcs, and tells a very big story (most of which was plotted out in advance by the show's creator) over the course of five seasons.

It also had a really tight budget, so I hope you don't mind cheap sets and '90s CGI spaceships. :)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Stargate.

Or maybe Avenue 5 if you want it more comedic but also more boring.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 5, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Planetes if you'd like a short anime series about space janitors cleaning up Earth's orbit so they can safely launch ships without getting hit by debris.

Shows ABOUT living on spaceships are actually rather rare because it's usually really drat expensive to show the ships and SFX shots.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Space: Above and Beyond is only one season but worth checking out if you liked BSG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBaQFafK3ZU

And here's an AI upscale of the series

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMD9ghErEvtxvdsWQIoWqN2kPbl6nLKv2

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh also if you want more Tricia Helfer, try Ascension. I'd hesitate to call it good, but I liked it, and it's only a miniseries so an easy commit

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arc Hammer posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes is so, so good.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Shows ABOUT living on spaceships are actually rather rare because it's usually really drat expensive to show the ships and SFX shots.

There's always Red Dwarf :shobon:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Forgot to respond to this earlier but hell yeah. I didn't like the second season as much as the first, but the first was a masterpiece so it's hard to hold a candle to it. Such an awesome vision of the future, it felt like a video game. The subplot with Poe helping the traumatized girl and then she manifests herself and brutally kills a bunch of bad guys was great, the VR scenes filmed in pseudo-360-camera were awesome, Dichen Lachman is incredible and gorgeous, Joel Kinnaman is a steroid elemental, and it even has Daniel Bernhardt.

Agreed, the first season was just spectacularly amazing. I even really liked the stuff the show writers added in not from the books, like the Bancroft intra-family relations. I do think the showrunners were kind of cowards for sanding down Quell's philosophy into generic anti-rich/ anti-immortal pablum instead of the much more explicit Neo-maoism of the books.

An audiobook rip of the first novel is always floating around YouTube despite the copyright sensors playing whack-a-mole with it if anyone ever wanted to listen to it free.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Never read the Altered Cabròn books actually! I should try to find 'em while I'm still stuck at this graveyard shift security job. Thanks!

Is all the 'ancient dinosaur aliens' stuff from the second season from the books? I think that's what turned me off the most about S2, I like it when sci-fi franchises can remain interesting without introducing some Aliens Did It nonsense.

I was riffing a bit of BSG-SNL humour just now: "Sharon Valerii changes her callsign from Boomer to Turd Ferguson."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remains the best thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW2_2ihIuzI

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You had me looking closely at every single detail in the scene to find a product placement. Couldn’t find anything and then I saw it it.

lol and lmao that’s terrible

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want to ce-le-brate
Another day of living!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
they done did Dualla dirty

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah they did.

Did her actor like ask to leave the show or something?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Justice for Billykiller :mad:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah they did.

I've always wondered about that. At least Billy left for a principal cast member role on the Knight Rider reboot. Even if that didn't work out.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah they did.

She actually said she was disappointed she wasn't able to make it through to the end of the series according to a couple websites. I think Dualla's death was just the result of having a lot of poo poo to take care of before they wrapped up the series and the character had kind of served her purpose, so they gave her a pretty difficult but memorable send off.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 12, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I remember the reaction in the live thread the first time that aired, but it's taken until now to realise what the lyrics were.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tadashi posted:

She actually said she was disappointed she wasn't able to make it through to the end of the series according to a couple websites. I think Dualla's death was just the result of having a lot of poo poo to take care of before they wrapped up the series and the character had kind of served her purpose, so they gave her a pretty difficult but memorable send off.

She was too good for Lee “too honorable to cheat” Adama. I still can’t believe Kara had the gall to say that or something similar to Dualla’s face with a straight face.

Oh something funny I just remembered was in the last episode of the one before, with the flashbacks, Baltar had the balls to tell Caprica Six that he didn’t remember her name lmao.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 12, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Boris Galerkin posted:

She was too good for Lee “too honorable to cheat” Adama. I still can’t believe Kara had the gall to say that or something similar to Dualla’s face with a straight face.

Oh something funny I just remembered was in the last episode of the one before, with the flashbacks, Baltar had the balls to tell Caprica Six that he didn’t remember her name lmao.

The extended cut of Unfinished Business also does her dirty. She knows from the start that Lee is an unfaithful poo poo but she doesn't dump his rear end.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

The extended cut of Unfinished Business also does her dirty. She knows from the start that Lee is an unfaithful poo poo but she doesn't dump his rear end.

I'm pretty sure I watched the regular cut of it, but even then it was 99% obvious that she knew she was being cheated on as well. I could just be projecting though, based on knowledge I know as a watcher but that Dualla wouldn't know. I know Sam for a fact knows that Kara cheats on him all the time because he outright says it to Lee.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm pretty sure I watched the regular cut of it, but even then it was 99% obvious that she knew she was being cheated on as well. I could just be projecting though, based on knowledge I know as a watcher but that Dualla wouldn't know. I know Sam for a fact knows that Kara cheats on him all the time because he outright says it to Lee.

In the extended cut there's a scene where Dee talks to Lee on the raptor shuttle back to Pegasus following the groundbreaking ceremony and she talks about how she knows Lee still loves Starbuck but she'll always be waiting around when Lee wants to love Dee back.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

In the extended cut there's a scene where Dee talks to Lee on the raptor shuttle back to Pegasus following the groundbreaking ceremony and she talks about how she knows Lee still loves Starbuck but she'll always be waiting around when Lee wants to love Dee back.

That's just sad. She deserved better cause she was one of the characters who wasn't a poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do we ever get a Sam-Dualla scene? I think they share a very knowing look at the end of the Dance, but I don't know if we ever see them speak about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVkiI9Vm7mE

This must have been recorded years ago but goddamn is Bear a good composer.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah that Dylan cover definitely was on heavy rotation in my mp3 player for years after the episode aired. I forgot the live performance was around, thanks for posting it. Some real Wall of Sound poo poo with the layered instrumentation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah that Dylan cover definitely was on heavy rotation in my mp3 player for years after the episode aired. I forgot the live performance was around, thanks for posting it. Some real Wall of Sound poo poo with the layered instrumentation.

Looking into it Bear did a bunch of live shows back in 09-2010 which is why he and Sackhoff look so young. But the album itself with all the lvie recordings only came out in 2021 alongside the re-release of the seasons on physical. So it's only getting noticed again recently.

Those guitars are heavy.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Those soundtracks were fundamental in some intermediate music theory that I internalized really well in college. I had just gotten back into playing drums around the time I got into the show, and would sit on the bus intently listening to all the meter changes and polyrhythms across different percussion elements (his use of scrapey-sounding metallic shakers holding a counter-rhythm to the taikos and frame drums is something that I really dug), until I knew basically every perc hit in the song by heart. Regretfully I never did get serious about any sort of ethnic percussion, didn't know where to start or whether it'd even be OK for a white dude like me to take traditional taiko classes. But the polyrhythm and odd meter stuff really stuck with me.

I got to flex it a bit for a school project; "write a one-minute song to score a hypothetical chase scene in a movie." Turns out that a lot of the stock percussion kits in Native Instruments' Battery 3 are close enough (there's an 'East Asian Kit' that's got a shitload of taiko hits, and some of the accompanying percussion in the 'African Kit' is very close to those metallic shakers. Even a waterphone scrape here and there. The key is knowing your way around a couple of reverbs and sending all the instruments to them, then compressing. It still sounded amateur as gently caress but it was a lot of fun.

Bear's style rubbed off on some other major composers too, I think. I mean the whole 'war drums' style of scoring action was probably not something he 'invented' but his Wall of Sound technique and the particular percussion instrumentation used had a pummelling sound that you could hear imitated in lots of stuff - I'm drawing a blank except for Man of Steel, in which Zimmer's 'drummer orchestra' arguably sounded a little better, but the BSG soundtracks are still the original and favourite to me.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Is all the 'ancient dinosaur aliens' stuff from the second season from the books? I think that's what turned me off the most about S2, I like it when sci-fi franchises can remain interesting without introducing some Aliens Did It nonsense.

In the books the Martians stay dead and behind the scenes. Stacks, casting, DHF are all human inventions. The only thing we get from them are the stellar maps with nearby habitable worlds marked out and the occasional ruin or artifact humanity cant understand or harness. More worldbuilding lore than an active agent driving the plot.

Edit) by season 2 the show Altered Carbon diverged significantly from the books. It was maybe 75% new material, 5% background from book 2 and the remaining 20% from book 3 heavily reworked.

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 13, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Cool thanks!

Someone brought this up on Reddit just now and it's something I totally memory-holed: The Cylon Raiders' organic internals. What a bizarre detail, in retrospect. Seems like something they just wanted to make a plot point out of for basically no reason, other than kind of explaining how skinjobs happened - except it really doesn't explain anything. It's just an excuse to have some nasty biomechanical stuff in your TV show. Were Centurions biomechanical as well? Does Caprica expand on this at all? Did Ellen and the other Four invent some Borg-rear end technology and hand it to the original Cylons?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Speaker posted:

^ Cool thanks!

Someone brought this up on Reddit just now and it's something I totally memory-holed: The Cylon Raiders' organic internals. What a bizarre detail, in retrospect. Seems like something they just wanted to make a plot point out of for basically no reason, other than kind of explaining how skinjobs happened - except it really doesn't explain anything. It's just an excuse to have some nasty biomechanical stuff in your TV show. Were Centurions biomechanical as well? Does Caprica expand on this at all? Did Ellen and the other Four invent some Borg-rear end technology and hand it to the original Cylons?

The 12 Colonies Cylons were already experimenting with humanoid evolutionary traits before the 13th Tribe Cylons returned to the 12 Colonies. The miniseries BSG: Blood and Chrome features Adama's first mission and at the end of the series a prototype Six that is clearly still a robot but with human dimensions appears.

Razor also features pre-skinjob cylons performing experiments on humans, and then even had an earlier hybrid model played by Campbell Lane. Athena Sharon explains that these cylons are an older offshoot from main Cylon society.

The big things the Final Five brought were resurrection technology and finalizing the skinjobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Does either Caprica or Blood and Chrome explore any OTHER Cylon types?

Like...we see Skin Jobs (made by the Cylons themselves/the Final Five (who were made by the 13th Tribe/OG Earth?), and then the old and new Centurions, and then I guess the Raiders are ALSO a type of "living machine."

If the Cylons were made to be basically robot slaves...surely there had to have been other kinds, right? Seems weird to just make "killing gun go brrrrrrt" robots to, idk, lift heavy stuff and clean the house? Did The Cylons just sort of..."purge" the non-combat models when they left The 12 Colonies after the first* Cylon War?

*First from the perspective of the characters in the show...in the whole history to that point it's the...third Cylon War? Right? The first one that caused everyone to leave Kobol, the second that was on Earth One/The 13th Colony, and then the "First One" Adama fought in, and then the final one we see at the start of the show is technically the fourth?

Edit: Oh, and we see the weird hybrid thing that speaks in riddle prophecy in the goo bath that one of the Xena models is obsessed with too, right? And then that "Space Basketball" player Starbuck bangs eventually turns into one of those?