Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The first two seasons (plus the New Caprica arc in the first few episodes of season 3) are honestly a brilliant run of television. It had depth and meaning and drive, it felt like it was going somewhere. It's a real testament to the writers that they gave it that feel while completely winging it week to week.

But even the best writers can only keep that up so long, and later in season 3 the wheels started to come off. In hindsight, somewhere early in season 2 is where Ron Moore (or someone) should have walked into the writers' room and said "we need to decide how this whole thing is going to end and how we want to get there."

I once read somewhere that they hadn't even decided what the Opera House vision meant until someone remembered while writing the finale(!) that it was still a dangling thread, so they gave it the extremely deep meaning of walking down the hallway into CIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Season 1 (+pilot movie) was a perfect 10/10 cohesive experience. None of the later seasons captured exactly the same feeling, but 2-3 are still pretty great and early 4 is ... ok.
Also the music was a real banger. I just love those drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BigolJfoANw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agronox posted:

There was a book released a few years ago (So Say We All) that has interviews with many of the BSG principals. It’s not worth buying but if you can find it at a library it might be worth checking out. Some facts I remember from it:

* Bamber wrote most of Lee’s courtroom speech himself.
* Upon seeing in a script that he was a final five Cylon, Michael Hogan called it bullshit and stormed out of the room.
* Olmos sounds like he was one of the biggest boosters of the show on set, telling the younger actors that BSG was a special show that might be a once-in-a-lifetime job. :unsmith:

That owns
He's right
He's right

The big thing I remember is the one commentary on BSG: Razor from Sackhoff about Olmos being super excited to direct and hearing about the rating they get to have, telling the camera to "zoom in on the cock" in a shower

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Overall Razor is kind of weak and pointless but I do like it for three reasons:

1. The First Cylon War flashback.

2. Starbuck quoting The A-Team during their infiltration mission.

3. Campbell loving Lane tossing aside all subtlety and just being an Unbound Bentusi aboard a Baseship.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

3. Campbell loving Lane tossing aside all subtlety and just being an Unbound Bentusi aboard a Baseship.

It owns just how blatant it is

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
High point for me was Resurrection Ship. Best action scenes in the whole series plus the brilliant scene where Adama and Roslin are each ordering the other's assassinations, followed by the twist ending.

It went downhill from there. At first slowly, then quickly. The mystical stuff just kept piling up, the rogue Cylon-Human alliance was unbelievable given that the Cylons just genocided humanity, and the ending was a letdown.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The New Caprica arc is my favorite, and I don't really get why people have so much beef with the Colonials trying to set up on a planet. It's over in, what, three episodes? Not like the farm in The Walking Dead or something. I have a general soft spot for times where the core cast of a show is all split up and a bunch of them have to try and do something out of their typical wheelhouse, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Carbolic posted:

High point for me was Resurrection Ship. Best action scenes in the whole series plus the brilliant scene where Adama and Roslin are each ordering the other's assassinations, followed by the twist ending.

It went downhill from there. At first slowly, then quickly. The mystical stuff just kept piling up, the rogue Cylon-Human alliance was unbelievable given that the Cylons just genocided humanity, and the ending was a letdown.

Mostly agree, but I actually liked the alliance. Yeah, it might have been a little hackneyed in its telling, but it wasn't unbelievable. And it gave us Adama blitzing out about deciding to use the Cylon bio-cement poo poo to keep Galactica from falling apart.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

AlternateNu posted:

Mostly agree, but I actually liked the alliance. Yeah, it might have been a little hackneyed in its telling, but it wasn't unbelievable. And it gave us Adama blitzing out about deciding to use the Cylon bio-cement poo poo to keep Galactica from falling apart.

Here is a thoughtful article on the Cylon-Human alliance. In a nutshell: each and every Cylon voted to genocide humanity, including the Cylons portrayed sympathetically on the show, but the show portrays the people who oppose the alliance as bigots or monsters.

Yes there was still a realpolitik argument for teaming up with the Cylons but the show never presented just how morally repugnant a choice it was.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Carbolic posted:

In a nutshell: each and every Cylon voted to genocide humanity, including the Cylons portrayed sympathetically on the show, but the show portrays the people who oppose the alliance as bigots or monsters.

This is relevant to what I was talking about yesterday when I said Season 3 sewed the seeds of Season 4's downfall. One of the most important (if somewhat last minute, though hardly incongruous) sub-plots during the first two seasons was Cylon society coming to the revelation that the destruction of the Twelve Colonies was wrong and that individualism could be a good thing through the vehicles of Boomer and Caprica Six. This intertwined with revelations about Cylon personhood that the Colonials had to force themselves to confront through their association with Athena, the discoveries they made on Kobol, and the exposure of the crimes of Admiral Kane, among other things.

The overall thematic thrust that both sides of this conflict had committed unforgivable sins and therefore they needed to find a way to do the impossible and forgive each other to break the cycle of endless violence between Man and Machine is very clear, and when Adama and Kane stand down from assassinating each other (a conflict ultimately rooted in our heroes protecting a Cylon from humans that want to do her unconscionable harm) at the same time that Baltar admits his love for Caprica to the Six Kane has abused, it seems that there might be a road to getting there, especially since the other Cylons will shortly be deterred from further militancy against the humans by Boomer and Caprica.

And then we get the bit where the Six that Baltar saves nukes herself, which draws in the Cylons to New Caprica, and BECAUSE OF REASONS they decide to conquer and occupy the humans IN THE SAME EPISODE WHERE THEY ANNOUNCED THEIR INTENT TO DO A TRUCE. Boomer and Caprica even go along with that idea! The New Caprica Arc are was bold and powerful drama, but it also threw everything off the loving rails, and as a result when we're expected to buy an alliance between Human and Cylon against Actually Evil Authoritarian Genocidal Cylon, all we can do is ask "Literally how?"

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 24, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I was very disappointed by the fact that the show that said from the very start "...AND THEY HAVE A PLAN" very clearly had no plan at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The plan was to kill all humans and then help the humans win the war by slaughtering 99% of all Cylons offscreen in Seaosn 4 during a Civil War that we only know about because they heard gunfire down the hallway one episode.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cessna posted:

I was very disappointed by the fact that the show that said from the very start "...AND THEY HAVE A PLAN" very clearly had no plan at all.

There was an interview with Moore on a podcast (I think it was Tricia Helfer's BSG one) where he said that the advertising execs at Sci-fi insisted on inserting that.

Now, given that he knew the higher ups were going to force him to have that in his show, he SHOULD have tried to decide what that plan was. But it's not completely his fault.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know if I'm be relieved or disappointed that they didn't cop out with "see, They referred to God the whole time", since that would honestly fit perfectly in with how it all ended up.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is the reboot still happening? Wonder how it's gonna go without the war on terror angle to lean on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is the reboot still happening? Wonder how it's gonna go without the war on terror angle to lean on.

100 years ago, a satellite detected an object under the sands of the Great Desert.
An expedition was sent.
An ancient starship, buried in the sand.
Deep inside the ruin was a single stone that would change the course of our history forever.

On the stone was etched a galactic map
and a single word more ancient than the twelve colonies themselves:
Kobol
Our home.