Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Talk about Battlestar Galactica for whichever series you want. You've got the 78 series, the 2004 series and the upcoming series we know next to nothing about.

I just watched the sex comedy episode of the 2004 series (Where Ellen Tigh is found alive and well and starts hitting on everyone) and I wondered what the gently caress they were thinking.

The rewatch podcast Tricia Helfer did (Battlestar Galacticast) had Edward James Olmos on for that episode and he talked about the process where it got made. Basically the network was like "every episode is too serious and too tied into other episodes, we need a one-off that has levity."

Overall I recommend listening to that podcast episode, since it has Edward James Olmos on it

Sanguinia posted:

The last season of BSG remake is underrated, Gaeta and Zarek's coup, Galactica physically reaching its limits just from all the pounding she's taken and there desperate attempts to save her, the total despair everyone is in after finding Nuked Earth and having to find some way to move on despite that, the Cylon Rebels joining the fleet, its a lot of cool stuff. It does have a ton of flaws and less good EPISODES than most of the show, but its still got plenty of great parts.

The coup episodes are legit good. But I quit watching after that point, because it's really obvious they had no idea how to wrap up. I mean, seriously. The penultimate episode is about the organization of the Quorum of Twelve to be based on what ship you live on, one episode before they quit living on ships?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I really did get infuriated how it was never really addressed again. Like...the solution was...find MORE people who might have worked with machinery or agriculture to work on the ore processing and food refining ships?

Meanwhile the Battlestar Galactica universe equivalent of Bezos, Gates, and Musk are living in luxury on what is essentially a 3 year long vacation on the cruise liner ship.

Wasn't everyone on the cruise liner already dead by the time that happened?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sean10mm posted:

I haven't watched this in forever, which seasons are actually good and is there a good cut off in the narrative before the final, dogshit ending?

The mutiny arc is my stopping point. Felix Gaeta's long string of defeats comes to an end and with it, the series.

I could also see the episode where they space a bunch of collaborators as a justifiable point though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gaeta goes into that airlock ready to die, it's Tyrol who realizes how off-base they are. Tyrol basically has to browbeat the truth about leaking intelligence out of him. And even after that people continue treating him like crap.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When the XO does something it's usually not an isolated incident. If nothing else, people below him will internalize that behavior. Having the XO out for you specifically is a recipe for a bad time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zarek's introduction with everyone arguing over whether he was a violent terrorist or a political prisoner was a smart way to bring him in. Really primes the audience for the type of person he turns out to be (namely, both of those things)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tighclops posted:

Lol bullshit he was going to space her if he couldnt get fuel for his fighter planes, that was literally the justification he gave

He let tyrol get away with something else I can't quite remember back in season 1 for the same reason, he needed his deck Chief to keep his planes flying

I like BSG but it's lib-brained as gently caress

BSG is a lot like the game Frostpunk in that it asks the question "what can you justify if the alternative is the certain extinction of the human race?" and the answer is "a whole hell of a lot."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He always reminded me of Charlie Kelly. Acts like he knows a lot about law but leaves me very unsure about that. Similar look. Carries around dead animals. Too bad there aren't any birds for him to be an expert on w/r/t law

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Season 4 continues to meander along. Cally's dead and now Baltar is going all jesus and letting Head Six puppet him up from the deck like he's floating and I'm just laughing.

The saddest part of her dying was that they killed her character off so that her actress could go join that weird sex abuse cult.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Foxfire_ posted:

I dislike the ending because after 4 seasons of people arguing over religion, ethics, war, worker's rights, political legitimacy, etc..., the ending says that the one thing all these people can universally agree on with no discussion or argument is "Let's throw all our technology into the sun and be hunter gatherers"

They all wanted to gently caress the filthy cro-magnons. It's the only explanation, that everyone was out of control horny for caveman genitals.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I guess this is sort of the point, but watching clips of BSG now I find it extremely difficult to like most of the humans on the show.

When I first watched BSG ~12 years ago, I accepted pretty unquestionably that they were the 'good guys' that were "just trying to survive". Looking at it now, the bloodthirstiness doesn't sit well with me at all. I guess it just hasn't aged that well since the Dubya years.

It's really ironic that after their race was almost wiped out by the cylons nuking the Twelve Colonies, the humans (or really just Roslin) decides that it'd be a good idea to genocide the cylons. The humans suck.

People on the business end of a genocide aren't really obligated to cut the people who did it slack, IMO.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also the way they decided to "peacefully coexist" was to conquer the humans.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"All this has happened before, and it will happen again".

It's heavily implied at the end of the series that humans did not break the causality chain and that dumbass humans are going to have to find yet another "Earth" after the current one.

My question is: how will the cycle continue if Cavil, Simon, Tory and Doral fell into the singularity, cylons lost resurrection, and D'anna is boxed? Presumably, unless there are details in the series I'm forgetting, they had these cylon models and resurrection in the previous cycle.

God will make it happen somehow.

That's always the answer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Boris Galerkin posted:

At what point did the writers know that they were gonna make the final 5 cylons and who they were?

Midway through season 3. RDM talked about it on Helfer's podcast. Originally the whole finale was going to be based around putting Baltar on trial, and then they decided they needed something more substantial. So they came up with the idea of the final five.

My favorite part of this is that they realized they given the chief a kid and it hosed up the whole story so they had to retcon it so Hotdog cucked him

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hotdog aka Rawdog lol

I actually don’t remember any of this at all. Don’t remember anything about the chief having a baby.

I love Kat. I remember she was basically like Starbuck but without the lovely attitude. Starbuck went off on her for trying to remember the name of a dead person ffs.

People like Kat, Hotdog and Racetrack had to get things done while Lee and Kara hosed around constantly setting off drama bombs. The best part of that job must have been when both of them were gone.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think how hard or easy it would be comes down to how far you can go in one jump and how long it takes for you to do it. Refusing to quantify either of those things was a smart move by the writers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Have you considered that no, it would have worked because the writers backed themselves into a corner and said everything happens because god says so, and so the characters are actually null and void?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's Adama's dad

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's much dumber and more complicated than that. William Adama in Caprica dies and the writers decided it was tradition that, if you have a kid who dies, to give the new one the same name. William Adama in Caprica and William Adama in BSG are half-brothers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AlternateNu posted:

I've been binging through BSG again over the last few weeks, and I forgot how much weird poo poo happens in the second half of season 2.

Lee is only a Major for like two episodes before he takes command of the Pegasus, lol. Billy gets shafted so hard. Was that an actor thing? Or did they just want to kill him off and make Dee look like an rear end in a top hat at the same time?

The CO on my second ship was a bit of a geek and always said BSG was the closest representation of actual carrier life in fiction. There's always some chief loving a new pilot. Everyone hates the XO because he's a raging rear end in a top hat. The CAG is an overconfident douchebag. And that one episode Garner is the CO of the Pegaus is exactly what happens when the CHENG or Reactor Officer needs to unexpectedly take command. :v:

There's also a couple of times at the beginning of season 3 where Helo is one slip in the shower away from becoming the admiral of the fleet. Even with no other ships to draw from, they managed to have a little bit more mobility in the roster than your typical Star Trek.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They wanted it to be this big thing on par with the first two season finales, but when they were actually plotting out the back half of the season even the writers realized it was underwhelming, so they came up with the Final Five. So if they'd had a better idea we wouldn't have had that mess at all!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was, but Helo was definitely gonna kill that guy one way or another.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arc Hammer posted:

You don't just throw away everything that still works after landing on a new planet. The bubonic plague almost wiped out the Cylons in one episode, the colonials landing on Earth and ditching any and all of their remaining medicine is a recipe for catastrophe not helped by the survivors all going their separate ways.

They also had a single doctor left among the fleet who wasn't a space racist. You're gonna want to keep him close by.

For reals, it's like they all forgot when they landed on New Caprica and everyone got pneumonia. I'm sure everyone will be glad they aren't repeating the loop of fighting with AIs when they're burying dead babies.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

More like "T2 would be worse if they just have VO over a shot of someone pressing a button that says 'crane go down'"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it depends on how much weight you give endings. To me, the way they ended the show casts a shadow over everything else in it. I ultimately can't look past that this is a universe with an active, meddling god and ultimately all the characters are null and void because god is real, all powerful and agreed with the cylons.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The New Caprica arc is my favorite, and I don't really get why people have so much beef with the Colonials trying to set up on a planet. It's over in, what, three episodes? Not like the farm in The Walking Dead or something. I have a general soft spot for times where the core cast of a show is all split up and a bunch of them have to try and do something out of their typical wheelhouse, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cessna posted:

I was very disappointed by the fact that the show that said from the very start "...AND THEY HAVE A PLAN" very clearly had no plan at all.

There was an interview with Moore on a podcast (I think it was Tricia Helfer's BSG one) where he said that the advertising execs at Sci-fi insisted on inserting that.

Now, given that he knew the higher ups were going to force him to have that in his show, he SHOULD have tried to decide what that plan was. But it's not completely his fault.