Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Talk about Battlestar Galactica for whichever series you want. You've got the 78 series, the 2004 series and the upcoming series we know next to nothing about.

I just watched the sex comedy episode of the 2004 series (Where Ellen Tigh is found alive and well and starts hitting on everyone) and I wondered what the gently caress they were thinking.

The rewatch podcast Tricia Helfer did (Battlestar Galacticast) had Edward James Olmos on for that episode and he talked about the process where it got made. Basically the network was like "every episode is too serious and too tied into other episodes, we need a one-off that has levity."

Overall I recommend listening to that podcast episode, since it has Edward James Olmos on it

Sanguinia posted:

The last season of BSG remake is underrated, Gaeta and Zarek's coup, Galactica physically reaching its limits just from all the pounding she's taken and there desperate attempts to save her, the total despair everyone is in after finding Nuked Earth and having to find some way to move on despite that, the Cylon Rebels joining the fleet, its a lot of cool stuff. It does have a ton of flaws and less good EPISODES than most of the show, but its still got plenty of great parts.

The coup episodes are legit good. But I quit watching after that point, because it's really obvious they had no idea how to wrap up. I mean, seriously. The penultimate episode is about the organization of the Quorum of Twelve to be based on what ship you live on, one episode before they quit living on ships?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I really did get infuriated how it was never really addressed again. Like...the solution was...find MORE people who might have worked with machinery or agriculture to work on the ore processing and food refining ships?

Meanwhile the Battlestar Galactica universe equivalent of Bezos, Gates, and Musk are living in luxury on what is essentially a 3 year long vacation on the cruise liner ship.

Wasn't everyone on the cruise liner already dead by the time that happened?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sean10mm posted:

I haven't watched this in forever, which seasons are actually good and is there a good cut off in the narrative before the final, dogshit ending?

The mutiny arc is my stopping point. Felix Gaeta's long string of defeats comes to an end and with it, the series.

I could also see the episode where they space a bunch of collaborators as a justifiable point though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gaeta goes into that airlock ready to die, it's Tyrol who realizes how off-base they are. Tyrol basically has to browbeat the truth about leaking intelligence out of him. And even after that people continue treating him like crap.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When the XO does something it's usually not an isolated incident. If nothing else, people below him will internalize that behavior. Having the XO out for you specifically is a recipe for a bad time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zarek's introduction with everyone arguing over whether he was a violent terrorist or a political prisoner was a smart way to bring him in. Really primes the audience for the type of person he turns out to be (namely, both of those things)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tighclops posted:

Lol bullshit he was going to space her if he couldnt get fuel for his fighter planes, that was literally the justification he gave

He let tyrol get away with something else I can't quite remember back in season 1 for the same reason, he needed his deck Chief to keep his planes flying

I like BSG but it's lib-brained as gently caress

BSG is a lot like the game Frostpunk in that it asks the question "what can you justify if the alternative is the certain extinction of the human race?" and the answer is "a whole hell of a lot."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He always reminded me of Charlie Kelly. Acts like he knows a lot about law but leaves me very unsure about that. Similar look. Carries around dead animals. Too bad there aren't any birds for him to be an expert on w/r/t law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Season 4 continues to meander along. Cally's dead and now Baltar is going all jesus and letting Head Six puppet him up from the deck like he's floating and I'm just laughing.

The saddest part of her dying was that they killed her character off so that her actress could go join that weird sex abuse cult.