Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Talk about Battlestar Galactica for whichever series you want. You've got the 78 series, the 2004 series and the upcoming series we know next to nothing about.

I just watched the sex comedy episode of the 2004 series (Where Ellen Tigh is found alive and well and starts hitting on everyone) and I wondered what the gently caress they were thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how the Saga of a Star World pilot uses every single special effects shot into he series budget and then the rest of the show recycles into madness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cerv posted:

But we don't talk about Galactica 1980

That's fair enough

I dont know what you're talking about, that never happened what do you mean Dirk Benedict spent an episode pulling around with a Cylon after crashing on a moon?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dean Stockwell was easily the best Cylon actor and he just gave no shits about anyone. The Plan was a lovely made for TV movie but it was fun to watch because most of it was Cavil being an rear end in a top hat to people between episodes and making fun of the #5 Doral Cylons for being so unimaginative that their attempts to be different amounted to changing the color of their shirt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The miniseries is a bit too slow but it does capture the immediate 9/11 "we're under attack and can't do a goddamn thing about it" panic, and then Season 1 is arguably the best overall season of the show with the way it builds up to the strike back against the Cylons in The Hand of God. You keep running from the schoolyard bully until one day you stop, turn around and punch him in the face. It earns that happy victory scene after ten episodes of unrelenting stress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm onto Kobol's Last Gleaming Part 2 and the scene where Starbuck grabs the arrow of apollo there's a cameraman standing right in the shot and I can't unsee it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everything after New Caprica just kind of drifts and it has no forward momentum anymore. All that's left are the occasionally great one off episodes like Tyrol launching a union revolt on the fuel ships.

Of course then you also have stupid episodes like the only other doctor in the fleet being a space racist who somehow got away with murdering people from the anti-vaxxer planet for three years before anyone caught on in a fleet of less than 50,000 people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All this has been said before and all this will be said again?

Is there a good source for the production notes of the show? I know that Zoic Studios did the VFX work for Season 1 because they have a very clear and recognizable style, and from what I've gleaned Season 2 and parts of 3 were done by an in-house team and people from Atmosphere Effects from Vancouver.

But Season 4's cgi feels wildly different in terms of direction and texture work from the rest of the series. I dont know if this was the in-house team or a different vfx studio and I haven't been able to find much information on Season 4s production apart from the writers strike killing so many projects.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 5, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blood and Chrome had more staying power than Caprica and it didn't even get a full series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You find that shocking? Dirk Benedict IS God.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sanguinia posted:

I don't think God would write an MRA screed about his character being recast as a filthy woman being a symbolic castration of all men.

I think BSG God would do that. He's a sociopath by the show's description.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't think there's a single thing that happens in that episode that has any continuity or connective tissue with anything else in the show. You could easily skip it and it would not effect your understanding of the show nor have to grapple with the weird stain it puts on Adama's already pretty great and nuanced character in the name of... I don't know what they were doing, really. Hero sucks, and it only manages to not be the worst episode of the show because The Woman King exists.

The only part of Hero that has any bearing on the series is that it is the episode where Saul finally snaps out of his depressive funk since anew Caprics and reconciles with Adama after being a miserable jackass for half the season.

On my rewatch I'm up to the part in season 2 where Adama wakes up from his coma after Saul and Ellen have hosed up the fleet for four episodes. I'm wondering if I should bother to watch Razor after getting to The Captain's Hand considering it adds absolutely nothing to the series outside of the reference to Homeworld and the Bentusi with Campbell Lane ad the Hybrid.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 8, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we were coming up with a list of worst BsG episodes what would people add to it?

Black Market
Hero
The Woman King
Tigh Me Up Tigh me Down

Basically all the parts of The Plan that don't feature Dean Stockwell chewing the scenery.

Maybe the piano episode? I honestly barely remember season 4 it's such a blur of stupid. Maybe the episode where they killed Cally so Nicki Clyne could leave the show to go join the NXIVM sex cult.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 8, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The OP was created by Man.

It rebelled.

It evolved.

There are many copies.

And they have no plan.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 9, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Onto Flight of the Phoenix. I like this one ad a sort of "day in the life" episode. Sharon plugging a wire into her arm is stupid but the turkey shoot and building the stealth ship is good stuff.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 9, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do like how the ending makes this big bluster about Hera being mitochondrial eve but they already told us that there were humanoids on the planet and the colonials threw all their medicine into the sun. So hera and the other colonists and Cylon models all died off come wintertime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is that really why they killed that character off? I just assumed the producers killed her off because they were bored with her.

Yeah, if you look at her filmography her output drops off the map for live action work after her character was killed off.

They also wrote off Billy's character because his actor wanted out after it became clear the writers had no clue what to do with him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While BSG is overall an uneven show with a lot of missteps, I think that it ultimately has one of, if not the best ensemble casts in science fiction television. There are dozens of characters in BSG and nearly all of them are memorable in some way or another. There's more named characters in the Galactica air wing than there are regulars on Star Trek TNG.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MadDogMike posted:

If we want to talk about something that deserves unmitigated praise for BSG, I have to say the soundtrack qualifies. Both the original and remake really, although Bear McCreary gets the edge between the two of those. Just great stuff through the whole thing.

Except for the UK intro which sounds so bad compared to the military March of the USA intro. Ooh, it sounds more spiritual, sure thing, it still sounds like crap.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man Fisk is such a wasted character. He's super compelling in Pegasus and Resurrection Ship and then they kill him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or it would be the shortest show ever once the Galactica turns its guns on the fleet to quell a civilian uprising and then gets jumped by five basestars and destroyed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh it has some terrible writing in it, no arguments there. What it does have is fantastic acting from nearly everyone in the cast and they can sell garbage dialogue like no others. Lee's argument that gets Baltar acquitted is terrible but Jamie Bamber acts it very well. I'm not sure the guy playing Lampkin was even acting or if he just showed up on set and acted like a weirdo.

Except for Helo. Tamoh Penniket was the worst regular on the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A number of the extras from the Pegasus crew were pretty bad but that was more when the script got to the point where even good acting couldn't save how outlandish their actions got. The blanket party duo were terrible and I'm glad the one shithead got shot during the mutiny.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 15, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think he's talking about Colonial One, which was a passenger liner before getting converted into the presidential office. Zarek and Gaeta's coup led to them murdering everyone on Colonial One during a quorum meeting.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 15, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I'm up to Black Market, just to kill the mood from Pegasus with Fisk getting killed and Lee being a creep to a prostitute and her daughter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

And that's what sucks too--because Fisk's death is plot-relevant and starts the dominoes falling that leads to Lee in command of Pegasus, you can't skip it like lesser relevant season 2 and 3 episodes. You have to watch Lee be a weird creep and then flash back to that other time he was a weird creep because that's serialized storytelling baby :stonklol:

It really sucks because Epiphanies and Black Market are back to back with one another after Resurrection Ship and they're both crap that either do some insane character assassination or they introduce baffling poo poo that makes no sense to set up later plotlines.

Like, I think Lee's tragic "girlfriend leaves him because he doesn't want a baby and then the cylons attacked" backstory was made up entirely for this episode and is never mentioned again all series long. Meanwhile they toy with the Lee and Dee relationship (which gets expanded in another stupid episode when Billy dies) and it's like, gently caress RDM, make up your mind.

Two poo poo bottle episodes back to back.

At least Scar is up next.

Meanwhile Epiphanies has Roslin sleeping with the previous president, the insane "let's use mutant baby cells to cure cancer!" and Baltar GIVING A loving NUKE TO A CYLON and her idiot sympathizers who don't recognize her as a cylon for some reason. And all that because he got pissy at Roslin's letter to him that wasn't all that rude the way the show made it out to be.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 15, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scar is still excellent. Probably my favourite episode of season 2.

Sacrifice is loving dumb. Billy's death is forgotten before the episode even finishes. Dee and Lee are both awful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished The Captain's Hand so I took a break from season 2 to watch Razor since it happens next.

This movie is nonstop flashbacks and it's infuriating. It doesn't help that three of the last five episodes I watched before this one all involved flashbacks and nonlinear storytelling but it's absolutely everywhere in Razor. You can't go five minutes without a character making a cryptic statement that triggers a flashback.

The story itself is just an excuse to make an extended reference to Homeworld, which is appreciated, but the rest of it feels like a substandard episode and it is very cheap looking. They never had many Pegasus sets so they gussied up some of Galactica's hallway with extra lights and reused the maintenance deck with no changes at all.

It's a frustrating watch. It also has all the problems of a TV movie where you introduce a new character who is super important and then never mentioned again because the movie came out after the season where they would be relevant. Shaw is just a other in the long list of dead Pegasus officers who get introduced and dumped because they're not Galactica regulars.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 16, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished up Season 2. Lay Down Your Burdens may have set up the New Caprica arc that eventually undid the show, but it's still a decent two parter and Dean Stockwell is the only Cylon having fun.

Now I'm watching The Resistance, the mini episodes about Duck on New Caprica. It's kinda funny how this cheap as hell bottle show actually looks better than the main show's New Caprica scenes because they didn't run all the outdoor shots through an ugly washed out filter. Also I found out where I've seen Duck before. He was a child actor on Are You Afraid of the Dark.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As long as it ends better than the 2003 show. What a trash pile ending.

BSG 78 had a good ending. It wasn't a conclusive ending but leaving it on a hopeful note with the faint signal that there was something, maybe something out there, that could be home was a satisfying way to end a show that wasn't guaranteed to be a success.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scar is also heavily implied to be the same raider that Starbuck shot down and then gutted during Act of Contrition / You Can't Go Home Again so he has it out for her in particular.

Starbucks is at her lowest point during that episode where she's falling apart, letting her alcoholism get the better of her and generally wanting to die, so it sets up the dichotomy between a vengeful raider who wants to live against a broken pilot who is suicidal.

Scar owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The colonials worship the Greek pantheon but even ancient Greeks worshipped some gods over others so the Kobol inhabitants use Oh My God/Gods interchangeably.

I can't remember how much Larson was involved with the show itself but he did have to sign off on the miniseries so he got a credit. Richard Hatch was notably very upset he hadn't been approached for the miniseries despite the efforts he'd made in the 80s and 90s to do a reboot of the show. When the miniseries got greenlit for a full series RDM had more pull and they brought Hatch in as a new character Tom Zarek.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I believe it has to do with the laws involving child actors and how long they're allowed to be on set each day. TV production is done on a very tight schedule and it's even tighter with children and all the legal restrictions studios have to abide by, so that's why you often get stuck with poor child performances. There just isn't enough time to get the best takes.

The other part of it has to do with directors not knowing how to direct children. Spielberg is a master at getting the proper emotional responses out of child actors for his movies, but not everyone is Spielberg.

What you start to see in the 90s is more kids going into acting at a young age and schools really focusing on teaching acting for the screen rather than just stage productions for parent night. There's a market for child actors so the cottage industry of prepping them for screen roles developed over time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 21, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BSG was the Game of Thrones genre TV zeitgeist of the 2000s for a reason.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thats a thing I really love about the show even into its weaker seasons. Nobody is unambiguously good or bad, even amoral shitbags like Baltar. They're flawed beings constantly juggling self interest and morality against the immense pressure of staving off extinction and the show challenges their convictions at every turn. Sometimes the moral challenges are a little more on the nose than others.

Roslin especially is dynamic because while she is ultimately a "good" person she has a ruthless mean streak and she is more than willing to hide her personal beliefs behind the mythical persona as the Shepherd of Humanity. Multiple times in the series there are characters that take her kindness at face value and get burned. Her dynamic with Sharon, Helo and Hera is relentlessly cruel and yet she takes responsibility for her actions regardless rather than pass them onto someone else.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 22, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm onto Hero now.

Hero still sucks but it's unfortunately required viewing to get Saul out of his depressive funk. At least Michael Hogan nails his scenes.

Now onto Unfinished Business. The extended cut is better than the broadcast version but it didn't need to be 90 minutes long. While I do appreciate several of the added scenes, a lot of the existing scenes that got extended are worse and the editing for some of them is really jarring (particularly Roslin and Adama having a quiet moment talking during the fight immediately cutting to the broadcast footage of Roslin yelling at the top of her lungs how she's always been a boxing fan). This is also the episode that cements Lee as being The Worst. He's been a creepy weirdo since the episode where he got shot by Starbuck during the hostage crisis but this episode is the one that really seals it with his behavior in the flashbacks and in the present. Dee gets shafted hard and it only gets worse for her from now on. Not that she's squeaky clean either considering how she screwed over Billy.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 26, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Data Graham posted:

the more I continue to be struck by the idea that this isn't a show about ancient alien humans' origin story and gods and monsters and all that,

Lol just wait a few seasons.

Also holy hell it you look at the title crawls for each episode over 6000 people died either as a result of Cloud 9 exploding or during the subsequent year on New Caprica before the Cylons showed up.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 26, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now you have me imagining what a different Season 2 / 3 would have been if Cain had survived getting shot by Gina. She's out of commission Adama-style but when she wakes up she's still Cain but a bit less homicidal and when the fleet decides to settle on New Caprica she takes the Pegasus to keep up the war with the Cylons. Then when the New Caprica arc happens Adama and the Fleet are trying to find her so they can rescue the colonists but she refuses to help, then comes in at the last second having followed the two baseships that came in to encircle galactica after she does the atmospheric jump. Then Cain can go out with a blaze of glory taking her crew of rapists with her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's funny because Roslin gives the New Caprica gestapo police a general pardon later in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Passage.

Starbuck is a colossal rear end in a top hat and hypocrite to Kat this episode. It's a good episode overall but the Starbuck part where she's bullying Kat feels needlessly cruel and way out of place given when it takes place in the show's run.