Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

sean10mm posted:

I haven't watched this in forever, which seasons are actually good and is there a good cut off in the narrative before the final, dogshit ending?

Seasons 1 and 2 are great, although Season 2 has one or two bad episodes (Black Market.) Season 3 is where the show starts getting real hit or miss, and it basically plunges off a cliff come Season 4. I don't even dislike the ending as much as most people but I've generally never has the urge to seriously re-watch anything beyond Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

banned from Starbucks posted:

Do they ever reference that episode or any of the union stuff ever again? Or is it just "yeah everyones working again and are happy now check out this sick military poo poo"

I'm pretty sure there's a bit where Adama says to Tyrol that Cally was a good woman and Tyrol goes but you threatened to murder her

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
as a whole the final five were a bad decision

i actually rewatched a few clips recently and the cast, music and overall presentation were able to elevate these terrible ideas - the olmos reaction to the bit where Tigh walks into the airlock and he just drools all over Jamie Bamber's hand and Bamber, to his credit, just keeps going is awesome

The show deserved a better story than what it got

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
He absolutely lay down and died right there next to Roslin

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
everyone's ignoring that the colonial genocide was conducted via 100% consensus robot brain sci-fi direct democracy voting. every single cylon is directly complicit because they voted for it. it doesn't really matter if they changed their mind afterwards or realized they were wrong. the first time the cylon consensus model of decision making was broken was with new caprica, and it was so out of place that it led to civil war. much like that "they're programmed" comment from lee, the show never ever really gets into the weeds of this stuff and happily introduces concepts and ideas to complicate things and then forget them for the purpose of convenience.

edit: http://wrongquestions.blogspot.com/2009/02/out-of-focus-thoughts-on-battlestar.html

quote:

To accuse Sharon of genocide made as much sense as holding a single Wehrmacht soldier responsible for the Final Solution. In the intervening two and a half seasons, however, we've learned that there's no such thing as a Cylon non-combatant or even a foot soldier. Their decisions, we've seen, are made en masse, with each model voting unanimously (Caprica breaking with the other sixes on the question of whether to nuke New Caprica was unprecedented and shocking). Unless the writers make a last minute revelation that the eights opposed the decision to attack the colonies, there's no other conclusion to draw but that when polled, Sharon said that yes, billions upon billions of dead humans sounded to her like a good start.

The rest of the Cylons still don't get it. Even after New Caprica. Even in the face of the fleet's desperation. They don't understand what they've done, the suffering they've caused. Caprica--of all the Cylons the one who shoulders the most responsibility for the destruction of humanity--actually has the gall to look hurt when Nurse Ishay's face crumples at the realization that the Cylon race might survive while her own is probably doomed.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 12, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Data Graham posted:

So I guess my big question as of early S3 and the Eye of Jupiter stuff is, at what point did the writers decide on who the Final Five were? Should I be watching these episodes with an eye towards “oh ho, so he/she is acting that way because they’re a cylon and these strange phenomena and odd behaviors will all make sense in retrospect knowing that”?

Or was it more like “uhhhh gently caress we have to reveal who they are next episode or we’ll run poo poo out of time, *shuffles cards with cast members taped to them*”

I'm fairly sure they didn't have any of them, even tyrol, planned until they were writing the last episodes of season 3.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Data Graham posted:

Yeah and even this deep into S4 when they've all but retconned away any even minute suggestion that humans and Cylons are biologically different in any way (glowing spines, jacking wires into your arms, etc), suddenly we have Tory Omni-Man-punching Cally into the deck and everyone commenting on how strong she is. Would a properly designed Cylon detector have worked or wouldn't it?

i though the cylon detector did work, but then baltar basically busted it to always say people were human. it detected boomer, remember?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
The boxing episode is a personal favorite of mine but the extended cut version is so much worse than the original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Ulesi posted:

I've never seen a single minute of this show but always read good things about it. Does it hold up well to ~current year~ and is it worth a watch?

yes. start with 33 and just go with it.