Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah cast iron is thick. my comment re: mass was specifically about stainless

make a thicc stainless steel problem solved also having money solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

id expect the seasoning to start burning off on a cast iron stone/steel. that wouldn't be great

id expect stainless not to have enough mass to not drop temperature but that might not matter as much as i'm thinking. also maybe they're just thicker than im thinking - im basically imagining a cookie sheet

something like this https://bakingsteel.com/products/baking-steel

1/4" inch thick and about 16 lbs. /r/pizza (lol) swears by them and ive broken two pizza stones somehow. pricey tho.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i feel like peeps who cook at restaurants in the mission do not live in the mission

in my minds eye i am still a poseur home cook computer toucher of course. but i have the heart of a pizza chef.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post hole digger posted:

something like this https://bakingsteel.com/products/baking-steel

1/4" inch thick and about 16 lbs. /r/pizza (lol) swears by them and ive broken two pizza stones somehow. pricey tho.

ohhhh got it, thanks! maybe ill get one of those if/when our stone gives up the ghost

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i looked at that page and it really bugged me. then i found this table re: specific heat elsewhere

Material Specific Heat Capacity (J/g-°C)
Marble 1.2
Cordierite 0.9
Ceramic 0.85
Quarry Tile 0.8
Cast-Iron 0.506
Steel 0.475
Granite 0.3

i'll buy that a steel stone, if thick enough, might be Good Enough. but the page made it sound like steel was somehow better at retaining heat and it gave me strong "guy at the ren faire trying to tell you that metal mugs work better than insulated mugs" bullshit vibes. the claims homeboy's making are clearly nonsense

e: maybe it's more about the finish of the steel being smooth and therefore getting better heat transfer? that makes sense

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 26, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't think the stone coating matters much, the dough is soft so it kinda conforms to grooves and bumps on the surface

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

for pizza i've been making this (https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/crispy-cheesy-pan-pizza-recipe), but using a bit less olive oil on the bottom and baking it in a springform pan* so it pops out nicely. the recipe calls for 6 oz of cheese but i usually end up using a bit over 4oz for a 10" pizza.

a different style but i tend to like the pan pizza anyway.

*if you use a springform pan use less olive oil since it will drip out and give you a bad day lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Achmed Jones posted:

i looked at that page and it really bugged me. then i found this table re: specific heat elsewhere

Material Specific Heat Capacity (J/g-°C)
Marble 1.2
Cordierite 0.9
Ceramic 0.85
Quarry Tile 0.8
Cast-Iron 0.506
Steel 0.475
Granite 0.3

i'll buy that a steel stone, if thick enough, might be Good Enough. but the page made it sound like steel was somehow better at retaining heat and it gave me strong "guy at the ren faire trying to tell you that metal mugs work better than insulated mugs" bullshit vibes. the claims homeboy's making are clearly nonsense

e: maybe it's more about the finish of the steel being smooth and therefore getting better heat transfer? that makes sense

it doesnt need to retain heat, it needs to dump its heat into the dough

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

fart simpson posted:

yeah! i never really took a class on thermo physics or whatever (or if i did I didn't retain a goddamn thing lol) but i don't think heat capacity is actually that relevant

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this one says that steel is about two orders of magnitude more conductive thermally than bricks

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/thrcn.html

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh that makes more sense thanks yall

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ordered some new pots and pans yesterday.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fart simpson posted:

If it has a really low heat capacity it'll just cool down to the cold dough temperature (unless it's thick/dense enough). Seems like it's the same order of magnitude as stones though so should be fine

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I suppose you also want the thermal conductivity to be similar to that of whatever you're cooking? I think conductivity tends to be related to the heat capacity but idk how strong a rule that is

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

how about you thermal conduct some pizzas right into my belly

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

just found out i was reading my hoa covenant wrong and can have a grill on my patio so im getting one of those ooni things instead :getin:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Current food status:

On the rear pole is a salmon fillet cured 24h with a 1.3:1 salt:sugar ratio w/ juniper berries and peppercorn

Forward pole is Portuguese style chouriço, went with garlic and bay leaf and sweet paprika for herbs, all marinated for 3 days in red wine from Lisbon

Gonna smoke the salmon for at least a day, chouriço too depending on how dry it looks tonight

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you should have made a bigger batch b/c now you're not gonna have anything to eat after i demolish all that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tomorrows the big day. cny eve. lots of cooking to be done in this country

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i hear kenji has a new wok based cookbook out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fart simpson posted:

it was fun seeing everyone with bags of oranges and what looks like super long lemongrass in Chinatown yesterday

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

post the food

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Chinese food is the best food on earth

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

There's just so much goddammed variety it's insane

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell yeah i like bell peppers and beef

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PokeJoe posted:

Chinese food is the best food on earth

PokeJoe posted:

:hai:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

i hear kenji has a new wok based cookbook out.

Yes, if you're a time traveler from March 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

hell yeah i like bell peppers and beef

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

This but for every cuisine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

not true, we learned just a few days ago that the entire latvian cuisine spectrum is:

* boiled potato
* boiled beet
* vodka but not vodka they call it something else but its vodka

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Shame liziqui doesn’t post vids anymore, her CNY ones are great

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
they really are!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Theres no kind of cuisine I don't like but I'm just finding new stuff constantly in Chinese food idk

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

post the food

but seriously, chef wang is real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U9ubfeRQM4

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 31, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PokeJoe posted:

Theres no kind of cuisine I don't like but I'm just finding new stuff constantly in Chinese food idk

what have you found recently

mystes
May 31, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Midwestern American cuisine

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

what have you found recently

i had some eggplant dish I've never had before this week. it was some play on a crispy tofu but eggplant and a sweet/savory sauce, scallion and cilantro on top. Very good. idk the name the menu is in chinese

mystes posted:

Midwestern American cuisine

I'm from the Midwest so nope, theres lots of good stuff here. Most people talking poo poo about it only see pics online and deride a giant region of the USA. It's not the world's best but there's plenty to like.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

it's a huge country with a ton of ethnicities and climates/biomes. it's because "chinese" is way too big of a category.

tbh "american" is the same way, it's just that most good american food people say isn't "really" american (it's "no where are you really from," but for food)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

it's a huge country with a ton of ethnicities and climates/biomes. it's because "chinese" is way too big of a category.

Yeah that's exactly right. And over a billion people have a huge range of tastes so the umbrella is very large