Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
 
  • Post
  • Reply
Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

Over time, random factors add up. What is chaos in the moment becomes systemic over time and space. As data accumulates, a pattern emerges.



B; time to start building our support staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



B. Getting some muscle on our side is a good idea. Every Space Lawyer/Judge needs a Space Baliff to tackle people. She can get a pretty badge and everything.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice planet you have there.

It would be a shame if someone forgot they had a planet destroyer wouldn't it.....

quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 3 Spirit = 5 Supply = 2 Momentum = +6
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (1/10) (Dangerous)
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)
Reclaim the object from customs (0/10) (troublesome)

Legacies Quests = 0.75/10, Bonds = 0.25/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

Junn woke the next morning, their head pounding. From the other side of the room was the sound of cooking. Rowena, with the practiced air of a hardened alcoholic, was already up and cooking.
“Wakey wakey lover boy. “ She called. “Best to get something into you – I’m not rich enough to get imported food, so its tofu – which on a station basically means recycled poo poo. But pile enough artificial flavourings on, and cook it right, and its edible.” She tips the pan she’s cooking in to show a grey slop. Junn just about makes it across the room to the toilet.
“Well. Lets get you up and working – I’ve got to do a shift today, so you’ll have plenty of time to get my package. I’ve already pinged you the consignment number. So get some food in ya and then get out there and loving do your job.” She smiled and poured the sludge onto two plates. “Promise. It tastes better than it looks. Though I will admit, that ain’t loving hard!”
After a meal that lived up to its promises, and a shower that made Junn feel almost human, it’s time to get to work.
Customs is easy enough to find, but the right tact would be needed to get an item. Or a bribe. Jun was going to try and legalese their way though this first.
The customs officer looked board, it was still fairly early, a gap between shipments coming in and people coming to collect them. Junn strode up to him and put their war face on.
“I am Junn of the barr. I require Package XX22338S-4 to be released into my care. This is under subsection C of section 244 of the Covenant.”

Compel + Shadow
Action Roll = 2+2 (4), Challenge Dice –3,10
Weak hit. With demand or complication. Marking Progress


The man types some numbers into his workstation.
“Hmm, can I have a crime number to go with that please?” Dammit, They had been hoping to brush past this – while they had to right to request things like this, they would need to track this to a crime – then there could be questions down the line.
“Ah, well.” Junn looks around conspiratorially and leans in. “Look, I’m going to level with you, I’m trying to investigate the death of my predecessor, and I’m worried whatever he got himself into will come back to haunt me. So I’m trying to keep this one off the books until I know what I’m dealing with.” A ittle bit of a spy story might liven up the mans day.

Compel + Shadow again.
Action Roll = 6+2 (8), Challenge Dice –2,9
Weak hit again! More progress, but more demands.


“Okay, I can understand that, but whats going to happen to me if someone audits the stocks and finds a package missing? I could lose my job. You’ll need to give me a signed guarantee – I won’t log it on the system, but if someone asks, I need to be able to cover my rear end – I need this job!”
“Seems fair.” Junn replies. He quickly types out something bland and non commital and hands it over. “Please use this as a last restort.”

Compel + Shadow - Third times a……
Action Roll = 6+2 (8), Challenge Dice –2,10
Weak hit again! What does he want this time?
“Depart, Time”
It’s progress, so I’ll go in for the kill.
Fulfil a vow!
Progress (9), Challenge Dice –8,6
Strong hit. 1 progress ticked. We get our first bit of XP, but I’m saving it until we get another point.


“Okay, I’ll get it, but I won’t be able to pass it off until the end of my shift – meet me here then.”
“Will do.”
Junn spends the rest of the day recovering from their headache and settling in to their office properly. They then call by the customs office for an overly cloack and dagger hand off. (They consider wearing sunglasses, but that would be over the top on a station lit by artificial light.) They then return to Rowena’s apartment and wait nearby until she returns from her shift, covered in oil and grime.
“You got it?” She asks. Junn holds up the package. “Fuckin’ A! Get in here with that. I’ll open it when I’ve had a shower. Once through the door she strips off and showers in corner refresher. Junn considers joining, but the colour of the water makes them reconsider. Once she is finished, she sits down and opens the package.

So. Whats in there? “Conscructed rendezvous”

She brings out a small electronic device.
“Hell yeah. A one shot coordinate generator. We get Raven off the station and power this sucker up and it gives us the direction to the people who are going to hide her.”
“And who is that?” Asked Junn. Rowena looks him up and down, this is the point where she has to decide whether she trusts him or not.”

Compel + Heart +1 for the bond.
Action Roll = 5+3 (8), Challenge Dice –8,8
Miss! Pay the price – roll twice - Delayed, a new enemy is revealed. AND a match on the challenge dice, meaning things get a lot worse - Oh crap, I know what that means….


Whatever her decision was is stalled by the door exploding inward off it’s hinges. Smoke fills the room followed by a dark shape in armour – corporate security.
“DOWN ON THE FLOOR! THIS IS A RAID!”

[i]So! We’re in trouble – do we
A – Fight!
B- Run!
C – Lawyer our way out of this!

Sorry for the slower posting - I do these between tests at work, and I've been on a lot more of the tests that don't give me time to sit and type!



quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 3 Spirit = 5 Supply = 2 Momentum = +6
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (1/10) (Dangerous)
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)
Reclaim the object from customs (3/10) (troublesome)

Legacies Quests = 1/10, Bonds = 0.25/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
XP = 2, Spent XP =0
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

Over time, random factors add up. What is chaos in the moment becomes systemic over time and space. As data accumulates, a pattern emerges.



C, and hope our dice quit hating us.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!



C and motion for our comrade to leave out the back

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





C. Fighting would make the situation worse, and running isn’t a good option until we find Raven and can flee all the way off the station.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HBar posted:

C. Fighting would make the situation worse, and running isn’t a good option until we find Raven and can flee all the way off the station.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





For reference, here are the odds with various roll modifiers and specific action rolls, assuming I interpreted the system correctly. The percentages for strong hits and for misses are inclusive of the percentages with matching challenge dice.

pre:
Modifier  Strong Hit   Strong+Match    Weak Hit      Miss   Miss+Match
-8              0.1%           0.1%        1.8%     98.1%         9.9%
-7              0.5%           0.3%        5.0%     94.5%         9.7%
-6              1.4%           0.6%        9.2%     89.4%         9.4%
-5              3.0%           1.0%       14.0%     83.0%         9.0%
-4              5.5%           1.5%       19.0%     75.5%         8.5%
-3              9.1%           2.1%       23.8%     67.1%         7.9%
-2             14.0%           2.8%       28.0%     58.0%         7.2%
-1             20.4%           3.6%       31.2%     48.4%         6.4%
 0             28.5%           4.5%       33.0%     38.5%         5.5%
+1             38.5%           5.5%       33.0%     28.5%         4.5%
+2             48.4%           6.4%       31.2%     20.4%         3.6%
+3             58.0%           7.2%       28.0%     14.0%         2.8%
+4             67.1%           7.9%       23.8%      9.1%         2.1%
+5             75.5%           8.5%       19.0%      5.5%         1.5%
+6             83.0%           9.0%       14.0%      3.0%         1.0%
+7             89.4%           9.4%        9.2%      1.4%         0.6%
+8             94.5%           9.7%        5.0%      0.5%         0.3%
+9             98.1%           9.9%        1.8%      0.1%         0.1%
pre:
Roll  Strong Hit  Strong+Match  Weak Hit    Miss   Miss+Match
1             0%            0%        0%    100%          10%
2             1%            1%       18%     81%           9%
3             4%            2%       32%     64%           8%
4             9%            3%       42%     49%           7%
5            16%            4%       48%     36%           6%
6            25%            5%       50%     25%           5%
7            36%            6%       48%     16%           4%
8            49%            7%       42%      9%           3%
9            64%            8%       32%      4%           2%
10           81%            9%       18%      1%           1%

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice planet you have there.

It would be a shame if someone forgot they had a planet destroyer wouldn't it.....

quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 3 Spirit = 5 Supply = 2 Momentum = +6
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (1/10) (Dangerous)
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)
Reclaim the object from customs (3/10) (troublesome)

Legacies Quests = 1/10, Bonds = 0.25/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
XP = 2, Spent XP =0
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov - rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

The corpsmen enter the room and fan out, Junn sees Rowena move and slip her hand under the table, but they stands their ground and faces the leading trooper.
“I am Junn of the Barr, and I demand to see your warrant,”

Face danger with expertise, + wits,
Action Roll = 4+3 (7), Challenge Dice –2,7
Weak hit! Take a -1 suffer and +1 momentum!
Endure stress + spirit

Action Roll = 1+4 (5), Challenge Dice –1,10 – no effect.


The guard holds up, he hold for a second. Then flicks up his wrist and a hologram begins to display the text.
“This warrant is invalid. It’s not been properly filed, your in danger of being used for trespass – so clear out before I file against everyone in this room!”

Compel + shadow
Action Roll = 5+2 (7), Challenge Dice –9,5
Weak hit. They agree, but with a demand or complication. +1 momentum.


They pause, though their eyes are covered by their helmets, but Junn can feel them taking stock of them, Their starforged is visible around their neck. Doubt fill the Corpsmen.
“Clear out men.” One of them says. “But we will be needing you to come with us – and we can just wait outside in the corridor until you leave. Then your fair game.” He says. “It might go easier on you if you come with us quietly.”
“Threatening me with violence? This is being recorded and backed up remotely.” They lie. “Out!” The Corpsmen leave, but wait in the corridor. Rowena looks outside on the camera and turns to Junn.
“Well, we’re stuck in here. Any ideas?” She say.
“Yeah, let me call someone.” Junn says, calling up Kelmath.
“Junn, What do you want?” Comes the reply.
“Can I check the validity of warrant WS99288-V.”

Is it real – likely (26+) – 16 – No it’s not! Finally something is going our way!

“Real, that’s just a bunch of numbers. Who the hell is trying to push that one around?”
“Zitech. They just burst into a friends place with a bunch of armed goons. The balked when they saw me, but it could have gotten messy otherwise.”
“You have friends?” She retorts, but Junn can tell her hears not in it. “Are they gone now?”
“Nope, their hanging around outside to snatch us when we leave. Well, I say us, I assume they only came here for friend, I’m not sure I’ve been on the station long enough for a corp to try something like this to grab me.”
“I don’t know, you have that kind of personality. Wait there, I’ll round up the lads and be down there.” She disconnects, and Rowena looks at them.
“Who was that?” She asks.
“Old enemy. She’s on her way. This should be worth a watch.” Junn Replies.

Ten minutes later the corpsmen are the ones on their knees, as Kelmath and ten watchers in armour move in. They don’t try and fight, and give in once they realize both exits are blocked. Kelmath was pulling their data as Junn and Rowena came out.
“These naughty boys are lacking all sorts of permits.” She says to them. “Door breachers, looks like you were right to give me a call. Zitech are going to have to answer a series of questions here. The Covenent is very specific, though the corpies can run their day to day security, this is general law, and comes under MY iron fist.” She says as she rests a foot on the back on the prone security captain. “I hope you guys like lockup!” She then turns to look at Junn. “So, would you like to tell me what you or your…. Friend did to have a corp on your backs? I’m going to need full witness reports.”
“There is a dispute of ownership I’m trying to broker. “ Junn replies. “I assume the Corp wanted to bypass my mediation and move in on their own - ownership being nine tenths of the law and all. “

Compel + shadow
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice –6,7
Miss, I don’t really want to spend the next few hours filling out paperwork, so burn momentum to cancel the 6.


“Right, so I’m going to need a full report, you mind coming back to the station with me?”
“I’d rather not now, I need to hunt down a lead, and this has put me behind already. I’ll swing by by the end of the day.” They reply.
“See that you do, otherwise I’ll have to release this gaggle, and I doubt they will be loving happy with you.”
“End of the day, I promise!” Kelmath nods and hauls the security officers away.
“You have enemies in some loving high places.” Rowena comments.
“She’s a pain in the rear end, but she’s a true believer in the Covenent. So I knew it would be fine. You trust me yet?” They ask.

Compel + heart
Action Roll = 5+2 (7), Challenge Dice –6,5
Strong hit. And drat right it is to!


“To be honest, if this was some loving double cross, you would have picked a much more likely series of loving events. Follow me. We should get to Raven.” She doesn’t even look to see if they are following, and they shrug and follow.
They head down deep into the bowls of the station – every human habitat over a certain size has its slums – and on Waypoint, it’s around the engineering section – leaking waste pipes and the constant vibration of the generators and plant. As they move the path they take is designed to throw off any tail.
Secure the advantage + Shadow
Action Roll = 2+2 (4), Challenge Dice –10,8
Miss, “You face the consequences of earlier choices.”


Junn’s comlink pings. They answer it.
“Ahh, investigator, This is Brennan Mihara, the head of customs, I have just been doing a check on our systems, and it seems that you have removed a parcel without proper chain of custody.” Dammit they think, they had found that quickly – there must be an automated check or just plain bad luck.
“Yes, as I said to your on duty official, I wanted to keep my investigation quiet.”
“That may be, but I will need you to return the parcel for proper inspection and paperwork, otherwise I will be forced to inform the keepers that you are involved in smuggling.”
“I’m busy on a case at the moment, I’m sure we can do this at some other time.”

[i]Well, this is a turn up do we -
A – Blow this bureaucrat off and carry on with our mission.
B – Play for time.
C – Go deal with the situation.

quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 3 Spirit = 4 Supply = 2 Momentum = +3
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (1/10) (Dangerous)
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)
Reclaim the object from customs (3/10) (troublesome)

Legacies Quests = 1/10, Bonds = 0.75/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
XP = 2, Spent XP =0
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





B. We need that parcel to get Raven to safety. Some of the ways to do that would be to:

-Get Raven, get off-station, use the coordinate generator, figure out a way to return the parcel without endangering Raven.
-Get Raven, get off-station, use the coordinate generator, flee and take the risk of getting a record as a smuggler.
-Figure out a way to get a seemingly identical generator, return that instead of the original.

For any of those options we'd need more time. We could also go with option C and try to get the parcel back again after finding Raven, but the parcel's going to be under increased scrutiny after this and Raven's would be in extra danger in the meantime.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Does anyone know what's in the parcel? Seems like we can switch it out for some random junk.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

Over time, random factors add up. What is chaos in the moment becomes systemic over time and space. As data accumulates, a pattern emerges.



B
Which of these is more time-sensitive? If we absolutely need the parcel's contents to find raven, then we need to pull a switch. Still illegal, but they've got to prove you switched things.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





The coordinate generator doesn’t help us find Raven, it helps us take her to safety after we’re off the station.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice planet you have there.

It would be a shame if someone forgot they had a planet destroyer wouldn't it.....

“Look, I’ll come round and clear this up, but I’m in the middle of something important. I’ll get to you later.”


Charm + Heart. Junn sure does a lot of compelling!
Action Roll = 3+2 (7), Challenge Dice –8,8
Miss and a double. “you are separated from someone or something.”


“No! If you don’t get your rear end to my office right now, I’m calling the Keepers!” and he hangs up.
“I have to go sort this out.” Junn says.
“I need to see Raven. Look, I’ll try and meet up with you later, but you’ve promised to be a lot of places. So you need to go sort that out.”
“But you need my help”
“Your no good if you bring the other half of the staton that currently isn’t chasing us down on our heads, are you.”
“No.” Junn admits. “Look, just don’t do anything stupid.”
“Like I ever loving would.” Replies Rowena with a smile. Junn is unconvinced.

Customs is as busy now, people unloading ships and checking manifests. Junn gets directions to Mihara’s office. Behind the desk is a large man with a broken leg propped up on the desk. He looks up as Junn enters.
“You better be the Barr.” He says.
“I am. Junn is the name.”
“Yeah yeah, now explain why you illegally removed an item from my system.” He waved a hand at him. “Interfering with the mail is a serious offense!” he bellows.
“As is interfering with the work of the Keepers and the Barr in work on the Covenant.” Junn retorts.

Secure and advantage + Shadow
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice –6,4
Take +2 momentum.


Mihara is stalled slightly.
“It is, but you must provide proof.”
“Actually, under section 233 subsection 4, I am allowed to conduct investigations undercover if I feel my person is in danger.”


Compel + Shadow.
Action Roll = 1+2 (7), Challenge Dice –6,1
Agree, with counter offer.


“Ah, so it is that kind on investigation. I will of course not do anything that puts you in danger, but you will have to remember this…. Favour I have done you.”
“Understood.” Junn replies. Knowing that Mihara is the kind of person who will call in favours, but also revels in the power of having things owed to them.
“Then we shall say no more, as long as you properly log all this at the end of your investigation.”
“Of course, I would be derelict in my duty if I did not.” This seems to pacify the man, and Junn moves on to the next person on his list to pacify.

The Keeper’s station was a hive on activity, several keepers were engaged in a screaming match with several men in sharp suits. The Zitech corp was not happy
“Junn!” Kelmath shouts as she sees them. “I’m glad to see you! I need your deposition now!” she propels them past the corporate lawyers and into a interview room.
“Start from the top” She says.
“well, I’m currently being contracted to help an individual who has information that Zitech wants, but is not able to divulge without harming themselves, I am currently……” He fill her in with a sanitized version, missing out the illegal cyberware and keeping to the facts as much as possible.

Compel + Shadow.
Action Roll = 3+2 (5), Challenge Dice –6,10
Fail, pay the price. – You encounter signs of a looming threat.


“Well, you’re still talking poo poo.” She says at the end. “But there is enough truth here for me to cause a lot of trouble – but you are marked. Zitech will not forget this – and they will still be after your client.”
“You think they would move against me openly?”
“Normally I’d say no, but the last Barr we got decided to go on a spacewalk without a suit, so these days who could be sure?”
“So I’m free to go?”
“Sure, but watch your back.” She says, motioning to the door.
“Will do.” Junn replies.

With the loose ends tied, Junn coms Rowena. She sends a message to meet in the lower station, and to not be followed. Junn sets off on a circular route.

Face Danger + Shadow.
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice – 10,7
Fail, pay the price. Well, we’re being followed – do we spot it?

Gather information +wits
Action Roll = 1+3 (4), Challenge Dice – 4,7
Dammit! My dice rolls are so bad! Burning momentum to get a weak hit, rather than lead them right to Raven.


The tail was good, and Junn was halfway to their destination before they spotted them. A man and a woman in nondescript dress. It was only because they doubled back on themselves that they spotted them.
Unfortunately, they knew that they knew. The followers picked up speed, closing the gap between them and Junn. Junn tries to pick up pace as well, then ducks down a side passage to try and lose them.

Face Danger + Shadow.
Action Roll = 5+2 (7), Challenge Dice – 8,7
Weak hit 0 succeed but take a -1 cost. Momentum seems to fit well here.


Passage after passage, then a deep doorway and the two pass them, then Junn nips back up the same passage and books it towards their destination. Finally they see Rowena ahead of them.
“About loving time.” She says “Were you followed”
“Yeah” They reply. “But I lost them.”
“Good. Follow me. And try and look inconspicuous.” Junn does and does their best.
Rowena leads him to what was basically the stations slum, rooms subdivided, bits of cargo container redefined into rooms. Poverty as it was everywhere. The old shipping crate was unremarkable, and they follow Rowena in.
Raven is inside, she moved smoothly into a combat stance as they enter, lights down the back of her neck blinking.
“Hey Raven – this fucker is Junnm and their here to help.”

Mark Progress, and now to get her off station.

Do we -
A – Try and get her to our ship
B – Barter travel on another ship
C – Get the Keepers to help move her (she is being illegally hunted after all)
D – Create a distraction while Rowena gets her off station.
E – Create a distraction while Rowena gets her to our ship.



quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 3 Spirit = 4 Supply = 2 Momentum = +2
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (2/10) (Dangerous)
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)

Legacies Quests = 1/10, Bonds = 0.75/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
XP = 2, Spent XP =0
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!



C, if we're marked so is our ship.

Man those rolls are frustrating, it's definitely interesting but not as much fun.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





C gives us the best chance against our pursuers, although it might lead to additional complications about the parcel or implants. And we’ll also need to pick up our ship at some point, and it’ll still be dangerous to go to it. Before we eventually return to out ship we should also try to negotiate an escort and a thorough inspection for any kind of sabotage or planted devices.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!



I'm thinking we use C as a distraction, there's probably an informant on corp payroll somewhere. We get the paperwork started and high tail it, either on a regular transport or our ship after WE'RE SURE no one will see us. Depends on the rolls...

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

Over time, random factors add up. What is chaos in the moment becomes systemic over time and space. As data accumulates, a pattern emerges.



F - buy new dice

But seriously, C
ready to pivot to D

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice planet you have there.

It would be a shame if someone forgot they had a planet destroyer wouldn't it.....

Raven looked up, her eyes showed fear, then the lights down the back of her neck began to pulse and a calculating look came over her face.
"Thank you, I reason we have a 25% better chance of succeeding now you are helping."
"That low?" Junn says with a laugh. "You've only just met me though, so I'll let it pass." Turning to Rowena they continue. "Right, I have already filled the Keepers in on this, I've left a few details out, but as far as they are concerned, this is just another case I'm adjucating, and as them corps are conducting an illegal search, I'm going to petetion the head keeper that she aid us in getting Raven off the station for her own safety."
"You think she would go for that? She does't seem to like you much."
"She's a servant of the covenant, same as me. Work first, personal rivalries second." Rownena nods her assent, as does Raven, and Junn opens up their comlink. Kelmath answers quickly.
"you again? you come up with another way to gently caress with my day?"
"Keeper, I am officially requesting an escort off station for my client. This is the same one we spoke of earlier."
"So thats a yes then."


Compel + heart
Action Roll = 5+2 (7), Challenge Dice –5,6
Strong hit for once! Marking progress and +momentum.


"All right, ping us your location and I'll have my lot down there ASAP - your lucky they are still in combat armour from earlier though!"
"Thanks Keeper." Junn Replies.
They turn up in fifteen minutes, sending the less than lawful occupents of the zone scurrying for cover, then they begin the march to the docking bay.

Will the corps attack the Keepers? a small chance - 90+ = 96. Welp....

The first shot hits the lead Keeper in the chest, and then the area lights up.


[i]So a shorter one here, as we have something of a choice to make! do we -
A - fight!
B - Run for the docking bay!
C - Something else!

Also, curse my dice!

quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 3 Spirit = 4 Supply = 2 Momentum = +3
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (3/10) (Dangerous)
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)

Legacies Quests = 1/10, Bonds = 0.75/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
XP = 2, Spent XP =0
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!



How close to the docking bay are we?
Can we sense how many hostiles are in the area?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

Over time, random factors add up. What is chaos in the moment becomes systemic over time and space. As data accumulates, a pattern emerges.



C - take cover

If we run for it, we may bump into more ambushers. I'm not opposed to taking some shots, but I'm not gonna start blazing and risk getting shot.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





C, take cover. Is it safe to assume our escorts are already communicating the situation to Kelmath? Or would it be worth giving her another call?

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006


C, Duck and cover, and report whats happening to Kelmath

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice planet you have there.

It would be a shame if someone forgot they had a planet destroyer wouldn't it.....

Junn grabs Raven and drops to the floor.

React under fire + Shadow
Action Roll = 1+2 (3), Challenge Dice –6,8
Suffer harm -1.

Oh come on!

Endure harm + Health
Action Roll = 6+2 (8), Challenge Dice –3,7
Shake it off.


At leas there is that...[/i]

The bullet slams into the wall next to them and sends sparks into their face, looks like they had been spotted.
"Nothing for it now!" They shout, pulling out their gun and aiming at one of the attacking shapes.

I'm calling this a dangerous encounter, as its an ambush, but we have keeper help.
Enter the fray + Edge.
Action Roll = 4+1 (5), Challenge Dice –7,9
Miss - start the fight in a bad spot - Thank you, I know that already!

Clash + Edge!
Action Roll = 2+1 (3), Challenge Dice –7,1
Weak hit - mark progress, but pay the price.

Endure harm + Health
Action Roll = 6+2 (8), Challenge Dice –7,4
Shake it off.


Progress 1/10[/i]

They drops Their target, but they has to duck back into cover as they draw fire.
"We're Sitting ducks!" Rowena shouts, We have to get out of this corridor!"
Junn nods and they grab Raven and try and move towards an open doorway.

React under fire+ Edge
Action Roll = 1+1 (2), Challenge Dice –1,7
Weak hit - make nit, but suffer -1,

Endure harm + Health
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice –3,9
Shake it off.


A stream of bullets follow them and the slide into a shop front, they look around but see the shopkeeper has shut the door to the back, and the enemy know where they are. Someone storms towards the door, jun levels and fires.

Clash + Edge!
Action Roll = 1+1 (3), Challenge Dice –3,9
Miss! -2

Endure harm + Health
Action Roll = 4+1 (5), Challenge Dice –7,1
carry on.


They trade fire, the corp soldier goes down, but a bullet slams into Junn's shoulder, they drop their gun. the hallway strobes as the two sides exchange fire, and Junn tries to centre themselves.

React under fire + heart
Action Roll = 1+2 (3), Challenge Dice –6,10
The Situation Worses - pay the price - put at disadvantage.


As they wait, the situation changes outside, the Corpeate forces advance, and withing seconds they are between the three of them and the Keeper forces. Things were looking dire.
"Nothing for it now." said Rowena, arming herself from the dead corprat.
"Blaze of Glory?" Junn asks.
"Blaze of Glory." She replies. Junn picks their gun back up and they stand at the same time firing.

Clash + Edge!
Action Roll = 3+1 (4), Challenge Dice –2,5
Weak hit! mark progress (2/10) but remain in bad spot, pay price -1 momentum.


They come from the door firing, the corps react quickly. they turn to fire and the pair hold their ground, screaming as they advance.

React under fire+heart!
Action Roll = 6+2 (4), Challenge Dice –2,3
Finally! Take control, +1 momentum!


Their sudden attack throws the corps into disarray, they lose the momentum for a second and the Keepers sense this and push a counter attack.

Gain Ground+heart!
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice –3,7
Mark progress! (3/10)


More corprat troops fall, and Junn shouts.
"Push hard, We have them trapped!"

Gain Ground+wits!
Action Roll = 3+3 (6), Challenge Dice –10,5
Mark progress! (4/10)


The Corprats are on the defensive now, their numbers dropping, Jun keeps firing and moving, Rowena to their flank.

Strike + Edge
Action Roll = 3+1 (5), Challenge Dice –4,3
Mark progress twice! (5/10)


They fire round after round, the corridor is filled with smoke from the shells, Junn feels like they will be deaf forever, but the corprats are the ones pinned now.
"Iit's over! surrender no or die!"

Gain Ground+heart!
Action Roll = 1+2 (5), Challenge Dice –2,6
Mark progress! (6/10)


TAKE DECISIVE ACTION
Progress roll = 6, Challenge Dice –1,6
Weak hit - we are marked for vengance.[/i]

the battle goes silent for a second, then the sound of guns hitting the floor, the remaining corprats stand and raid their hands into the air. Their leader spits at Junn.
"We won't forget this, Barr."

Junn looks at the corridor, filled with bodies and pockmarked with bulletholes.
"Neither will we" They say.

I'll pick up after I've burned my dice.


quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 1 Spirit = 4 Supply = 2 Momentum = +3
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (4/10) (Dangerous)
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)

Legacies Quests = 1/10, Bonds = 0.75/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
XP = 2, Spent XP =0
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Execute them. No loose ends.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!



Outrail posted:

Execute them. No loose ends.

Is the Corp going to remember this or these specific people? If it's the people execution if the Corp, cripple them

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





They’ve surrendered and have their hands up, there’s no legal basis to kill or wound them at the moment. There are station cameras, they likely have cameras as well, and the keepers are witnesses. It’s absurd to think that anything we do now will stay hidden. Just let the keepers take them into custody, provide a witness statement, and continue with the mission.

I hope they remember what happened here, they tried to commit multiple muders over a minor issue and we outfought their entire death squad.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

Over time, random factors add up. What is chaos in the moment becomes systemic over time and space. As data accumulates, a pattern emerges.



Well, that was a roller coaster. Leave the mercs to their own fate and GTFO while we're still a law abiding citizen, before the dice can conjure us more problems.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice planet you have there.

It would be a shame if someone forgot they had a planet destroyer wouldn't it.....

"Let's get moving" Junn says to the others. "The longer we wait, the more time the Corps have to bring in a second wave."
Moving quickly through the corridors, they move through the press of people who are moving in to take a look a the scene now the gunfire has finished.

Secure and Advantage + Edge
Action Roll = 3+1 (8), Challenge Dice –4,3
Weak hit, taking +1 on next roll. Marking progress (5/10)


They arrive at the docking area, no more shots ring out - but now they have to get Raven through customs and onto the ship. This could be tricky as the Corperations are sure to have flagged her, Junn presses the chance that no one really wants to tangle with a Barr- they decide to push the "more trouble than it's worth" aspect.
They stride up to the first free counter and start their attack.
"I am Junn of the Barr, I have a witness who needs processing - I need to take her to the safety of a ship and off station - every second we waste makes her a target."

Compel + Wits +1
Action Roll = 1+3+1 (5), Challenge Dice –3,7
Weak hit


The customs officer sits upright.
"Of course, Barr." They begin. "Please move to room 3 and await a senior officer - you will of course have to log this and be checked for contraband."
The contraband is the back of Raven's skull, so this could be tricky. but there was not point trying to make a scene in public, so they moved to the secure room. after a few minutes a second customs officer came in, he has a datapad ready.
"Ah, Barr Junn. I'm sure I don't need to go through this procedure with you."
"No no." Junn says, and begins to empty their pockets, motioning for the others to do the same. As they do so they launch into a series of questions and blith comments, trying to distract the officer from the obvious - the implants were strange, but from a distance were not totally out of the ordinary.

Secure and Advantage + Shadow.
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice –8,3
Weak hit - +2 momentum


"Anything else to declare the officer says."
"No." Junn replies.

Compel + shadow
Action Roll = 1+2 (3), Challenge Dice –2,4
Burning momentum for strong hit. +1 momentum. mark Progress (5/10)


"Then your clear to leave." The man says after a few seconds. Junn nods in relief and they leave and make their way towards the ship.

The Amicus Curiae sits where Junn left it, with a dockworker looking up as they approach.
"Leaving again Barr? You don't seem to spend much time on station!" They joke.
"Ahh, the work of the law is never done." Junn replies. boarding the ship they hold out a hand to Rowena. "Right, lets get that thing installed." they pop open the control panel of the ship and try fitting the device Rowena had acquired.

Secure and Advantage + Wits.
Action Roll = 3+3 (6), Challenge Dice –5,2
Strong hit - +2 momentum and +1 to next roll. Mark Progress (6/10)


The device slots in quickly, and Junn is able to get it working with the ship. They then undock and move to jump distance. toggling it on it begins to feed jump cordinates into the nav computer.
"Here goes nothing" Rowena Comments as Jun starts the jump."


undertake an expedition + shadow to fly casual.
Action Roll = 1+2+1 (4), Challenge Dice –7,2
Weak hit. Make a two suffer -1 moves - I'll take -1 supply and -1 momentum. Mark Progress (7/10)

Stellar object = 44 - orbital
Population = 96 - Tens of thousands!
First look - Descriptor + Focus = trapped industry
Authority = None
Project = Action +Theme = Eliminate Creation
Problem = Impending attack
Initial contact = Wary

Oh boy, there is a lot to work with there!



"Will you look at that." Rowena says as they stare at the object in front of them. "Someone messed up their jump."
She's right, you've heard of such things, but never seen one - the huge industrial ship in front of them had phased into an asteroid - somehow not exploding, but now no longer a ship. It seemed to have been here a while, as the damage had been made good by the owners.

The coms light up.
"Announce your reason for visiting the Tech Commune!" A robotic voice comes over.
"We are here to deliver a refugee, we were given a becon to come here."
"Dock at bay 332. An armed guard will meet you." The line closes.
They dock, and are met by a guard - every member is highly cybenetically enhanced.

Roll roll roll

Amari Ripley, Lawkeeper, wanting, maintain order, attractive, ill equiped.[/i]

"I am Keeper Ripley" the leader says, as she adjusts a uniform that is to big for her. she's attractive - too attractive, in a way that, when linked to her modfied companions, leaads Junn to believe that she has been shaped this way. She catches Junn looking.
"Yeah, they assume all guards are going to be six foot knuckle draggers - though I can out-lift any of these guys, my previous owner had me modded for strength and stamina, not that it did her any good in the long run." She smiles and runs a finger across her throat.
"Anyway, Welcome to the Tech commune! You two look like regs, so I assume this lady is the asylum seeker? Well, we'll set you right, this is where all the toys come to rest."
"Then I think your with them Raven." Rowena says.

fufull a vow!
Progress = 7 , Challenge Dice –6,10
Dammit! So we can either take 1 XP or swear another vow for 2!


Alarms begin to go off.
"I do have to say" Ripley continues, trying to be nonchalant, "I'm not sure how safe it is at the moment. you see, one of the eggheads projects got a little out of hand, and we could do with a hand containing it....."


Sigh. Here I was, hoping to get to this place and use them to research the vault, but no, they have to go and be mad scientists unleashing something on the world.

Do we
A - Declare this is none of our business and nope out of the area.
B - Swear an iron vow to try and contain yet ANOTHER threat.

I swear, Junn just wanted a nice quiet life doing contract negotation, now he's trying to save the universe.

And its Awesome!


quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 1 Spirit = 4 Supply = 1 Momentum = +4
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Get Raven to a safe place (7/10) (Dangerous)
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)

Legacies Quests = 1/10, Bonds = 0.75/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
XP = 2, Spent XP =0
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

Over time, random factors add up. What is chaos in the moment becomes systemic over time and space. As data accumulates, a pattern emerges.



I'm willing to investigate, but not swearing any oaths until we see exactly what it is. Definitely willing to help some bad-rear end cyborgs, especially if they can help us surpass the limits of our flesh...

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





Cobalt-60 posted:

I'm willing to investigate, but not swearing any oaths until we see exactly what it is.
Yeah, this. And I don't want them to suffer a disaster but it's not clear how a barr can help, unless there's a dispute to resolve.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cobalt-60 posted:

I'm willing to investigate, but not swearing any oaths until we see exactly what it is. Definitely willing to help some bad-rear end cyborgs, especially if they can help us surpass the limits of our flesh...

Say or promise whatever necessary to enter the cyberhaus.

:roboluv:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice planet you have there.

It would be a shame if someone forgot they had a planet destroyer wouldn't it.....

"What the loving gently caress did you fuckers do?" Asks Rowena.


Yeah, good point, we need to know more -

Oracle = Engulfed Device.

Oh wait.



"Well," Ripley looks sheepish "We were trying to get the ships mainframe upgrades - we put a lot of pressure on our systems, and we kinda sent the AI insane."
"The AI? Your under attack by your OWN loving SHIP?" Rowena roars.
"Yeah, we've had it contained, but its breaking down our firewalls, and once it gets control of the ship systems we are in some trouble." Ripley replies.
"Understatement of the Year." Raven replies.


Okay, an insane AI, we can negotiate it not murdering all the meatbags right?
Do we try?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





Sure, I'm in. Looking forward to the extending chain of increasingly tangential adventures.

(We should probably aim for 9 or 10 progress before we roll against it, if we ever want to get back to the main plot.)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I'll accept on the condition we find a suitable chassis for the homocidal AI and attempt to seduce it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nice planet you have there.

It would be a shame if someone forgot they had a planet destroyer wouldn't it.....

Junn Sighs.
"Ok, I'm sure I can talk this thing down - so I swear."


Swear and Iron Vow +Heart
Action Roll = 6+2 (8), Challenge Dice –1,5
+2 Momentum and the way is clear - making this one troublesome so we don't spend three weeks on it.



"I'm Glad That You Are Confident." a new voice speaks, its coming from all around.
"Ah." Jun says, trying to conceal a start. "Well, that makes part one of this easy. I assume I'm talking to the station AI?"
"Yes. I Am The AI, You May Call Me Overseer."
"Well, Overseer, how can I convince you not to turn all the humans currently living inside you to lumps of meat not living inside you?


Compel + Heart
Action Roll = 2+2 (4), Challenge Dice –10,3
miss, but I'm expecting counter offer anyway. marking progress as it's ready to talk."
"Inspect Barrier"
What barrier?
"Ensarling Battleground"



"There Is A Barrier, Within A Ancient Battlefield At The Edge Of A Black Hole. I Wish To Inspect It."
"Wait, your willing to kill tens of thousands of people so you can look at an anomaly?"
"Correct." Junn turns to Ripley.
"Can't you just take it there?" They ask.
"I'm not the one who can make discussions like that, that would be the Prime Ministers Job."
"Can I speak to them?" Junn asks.
"Connecting." The AI's voice rings out and another voice rings out.
"Who is this, how have you hacked my personal comms?"
"Ah, Prime minister, I am Junn of the Bar, and I'm currently negotiating with your station AI to not kill you. It wants to check out an anomaly near a black hole, If I can get your assurances you will help with this, I'm sure I can get this smoothed out...."


Compel + Heart
Action Roll = 6+2 (8), Challenge Dice –10,2
Sigh, what do they want?
"Biological Organism" Say what? let's throw in an action - "Escort Biological Organism"
drat it, and escort mission - look, we're the mediator here, we don't need to do everything ourselves.


"If we're talking about the same black hole, then we would need to have assurances that one of our own scientists go with the AI."

"Sounds fair, what do you think , Overseer, that sounds fair to me, give and take."


Compel + Heart
Action Roll = 4+2 (6), Challenge Dice –5,3
Solid hit - Marking progress! 9/10, lets end this

Fulfill a vow -
Progress (9), Challenge Dice –4,8
Strong hit - gain a tick of experience and no need for a new vow.


"Agreeded. Ending Decompression Sequence."
"Say loving what now?" blurts Rowena.
"Well, That was a nice return to normal. Now I have another problem to deal with!"



Updates are slow as work is kicking my rear end atm. do we
A - try and get access to the data here to help.
B - Return to Waystation and do our research there.
C - Go on a trip to this mysterious black hole, because why not?


quote:

Junn – Wandering Space Lawer.
Diplomat, Bannersworn (The Covenant), Empath.
Edge = 1, Heart = 2, Iron= 1, Shadow = 2 , Wits = 3,
Health = 1 Spirit = 4 Supply = 1 Momentum = +7
Starship Amicus Curiae= Integrity = 5
Gear = Spacers gear, book of the Covenant, pistol, knife, Licence of the Barr.

Background Vow – To end the great war. (0/10) (Epic)
Current Vows
Neutralize the threat of the tomb – (0.25/10) (Epic)

Legacies Quests = 1.75/10, Bonds = 0.75/10, Discoveries = 0.25/10
XP = 2, Spent XP =0
Bonds –
The Crew of the Pavlov rank 1
Rowena – Rank 1 crew(wo)man

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





A, it’s somewhat safer here than on a station where a corp still wants to kill us, and it’s definitely safer here than on a shuttle that might get spaghettified by a rogue AI.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!



HBar posted:

A, it’s somewhat safer here than on a station where a corp still wants to kill us, and it’s definitely safer here than on a shuttle that might get spaghettified by a rogue AI.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

Over time, random factors add up. What is chaos in the moment becomes systemic over time and space. As data accumulates, a pattern emerges.



A, work on this, THEN black hole. Maybe.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply