Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

C. As someone deeply familiar with the law we know it's far from pure, and the cops even less so. Sometimes we try to win something resembling justice for our clients when we can, but more often it's just about putting in billable hours when we can't.

A. Understanding motivations helps us cut through the layers of obfuscation to get to the heart of any case or negotiation.

A. Any other lawyer would tell them to give up and take a plea deal, and maybe we're fools if we don't say the same thing. But those other lawyers aren't prepared to hand off all their other cases and focus on winning just this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

This part of Junn is having un-lawyerly thoughts: What if the prophet is right? And we also really want to see the tomb for ourself, even if just out of curiosity. Tell Anis A for now, but this might be headed towards a macguffin adventure where everyone scrambles for the tomb at the same time.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

A, thatís our strong suit and everyone is here right now. If we wait, someone might try to sneak off to the tomb.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

C

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

B, we canít allow anyone to release the spirit without knowing exactly what itís going to do. End the war by exterminating one side? By exterminating both sides?

Erin is under a potentially dangerous mental compulsion, so restraining her is legally justified until the compulsion can be broken. Matters will be more complicated if she remains in this state and is awarded any share of ownership of the tomb, we may need to establish a conservatorship or legal trust.

And what would the law say about the spirit itself? Does the law even account for the possibility of such an entity? It seems unlikely that a spirit could be recognized as an owner or inhabitant of the tomb, perhaps it would need to be categorized as a hazard like radiation or an anomaly.

quote:

Action Die = 6+3 (9). Challenge Dice = 5,1
Weak hit- gain insight, but complicate quest. +1 momentum!
Undermined by self doubt or vulnerabilities.
How was this a weak hit? It looks like the action roll is higher than both challenge rolls.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

1. B, this tomb is an extreme hazard and there are no known protocols to handle it safely. It would be criminally negligent to allow anyone to interact with it closely. Use our claim to the mineral-rich asteroid as a bargaining chip if needed.

2. This is something to discuss with the crew. With their approval, itís Yes/Extreme Vow. If we simply report the tomb to the authorities, thereís a strong risk theyíll try to use it as a superweapon.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

If the tomb obeys the known laws of inertia, my first thought is to rig some kind of remote tug to push it into a star. Even if that doesnít destroy it, it should at least become inaccessible for a few billion years.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

1. Vow to ensure that the spirit of the tomb won't directly cause a disaster within our lifetime. We don't know for sure yet whether it's even possible to destroy the tomb, and this vow also leaves our options open if it turns out its actions would be benign.
2. This is tricky - if we leave her here, there's a chance she figures out a way to get to the tomb and release the spirit. If we take her to the waypoint, her presence will raise questions we don't want to answer if the ship gets scanned or searched, we risk extending the reach of the spirit through its connection with her, and there's a risk she tells others about the tomb before we can deal with it. And if we question her more, that risks the spirit trying to get into our mind again, although maybe that only happened because of our empath ability.

Leaning towards B if we can question Erin in a safe way (maybe through text only), and assuming that we're leaving her with no communications and no way of reaching the tomb.

3. C, complete the claim before completing Raven's vow, but check on Raven first to make sure she'll be safe during the wait.

Cobalt-60 posted:

1 A Someone's going to find this thing again, especially now that people know of it.
Did you mean to vote for B to destroy the tomb, instead of A to leave it here for other people to find it?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

Outrail posted:

Scarface has moxie, I like that. Come back with a nice bottle of something and ask to wait for Raven. Seduce the horrible woman.
This is worth a try, I donít have a better plan. Asking around would alert the wrong people. We also need to consider whether the scarred woman could be working for a group going after Raven, but if that was the case sheíd be more likely to lure us in for information instead of shutting us out completely.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

B, Junn and Rowena could make a powerful combination, working inside and outside of the law.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

C. Fighting would make the situation worse, and running isnít a good option until we find Raven and can flee all the way off the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES

For reference, here are the odds with various roll modifiers and specific action rolls, assuming I interpreted the system correctly. The percentages for strong hits and for misses are inclusive of the percentages with matching challenge dice.

pre:
Modifier  Strong Hit   Strong+Match    Weak Hit      Miss   Miss+Match
-8              0.1%           0.1%        1.8%     98.1%         9.9%
-7              0.5%           0.3%        5.0%     94.5%         9.7%
-6              1.4%           0.6%        9.2%     89.4%         9.4%
-5              3.0%           1.0%       14.0%     83.0%         9.0%
-4              5.5%           1.5%       19.0%     75.5%         8.5%
-3              9.1%           2.1%       23.8%     67.1%         7.9%
-2             14.0%           2.8%       28.0%     58.0%         7.2%
-1             20.4%           3.6%       31.2%     48.4%         6.4%
 0             28.5%           4.5%       33.0%     38.5%         5.5%
+1             38.5%           5.5%       33.0%     28.5%         4.5%