Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Staunch and proud ally of Big Pharma! We stand with you!

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, America can't really judge China for their rockets going boom given we've blown them up with multiple people inside several times now.

I think space ex exploded one recently too

E: oh and there was that several billion dollar metric/imperial conversion error too. That one was hilarious

I mean, yeah we can because this is at least a yearly occurrence for China now, not to mention one-stage orbital rockets are loving stupid as poo poo specifically because of this goddamn mess, whereas we kill astronauts in non-training/testing incidents at the rate of... 0.2 per year. Spaceflight is risky, the point is to *not* have uncontrolled debris raining down from launches though. Most everyone except China is pretty on the ball on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
To my knowledge, China is the only country that's killed people not involved with the space program.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Pekinduck posted:

To my knowledge, China is the only country that's killed people not involved with the space program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Zucker - 3 spectators killed. Not a country and I'm not sure if there was actual spaceflight.
Also a couple of US firemen dealing with wildfires caused by a launch, I don't know if they count as involved with the space program or not.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MrQwerty posted:

Spaceflight is risky, the point is to *not* have uncontrolled debris raining down from launches though. Most everyone except China is pretty on the ball on that.

TBQH the risk of hurting or killing anyone is pretty goddamn remote. Like, it's stupid that China is running so close to the edge of what their rocket can manage that they can't afford to put a system on it for the most bare-bones of re-entry control. Just "in the pacific" would be fine. But also I don't think it's an unconscionable risk.

The funny thing about the treaty that I mentioned before, it's the nation-state's responsibility to pay for damages even if it was some corporation that did the launch. So the US wouldn't let anyone like SpaceX do a launch this way, because then the US gov't would be on the hook for SpaceX's fuckups. So that's why everyone besides China is more on the ball. That and the potential diplomatic / prestige blowback.

tldr China don't care

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
loving gently caress why does the earth have to be full of so much empty space

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
gently caress you china you couldn't even gently caress this up in an interesting way

i mean im glad no one died and all but poo poo that was anticlimactic

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nashville still exists. :argh:

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Klyith posted:

in the same way that an empty beer can will fall a lot slower than a full bottle if you dropped it off a building.

:magemage:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zippy the Bummer posted:

gently caress you china you couldn't even gently caress this up in an interesting way

i mean im glad no one died and all but poo poo that was anticlimactic

Yeah, but with how much of earth's surface is ocean it wasn't really unexpected. It let me idly daydream about space junk smashing stuff for a few days, that's enough for me.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Statistically speaking what are the odds it's still got enough inertia to just keep bouncing on water until it hits Mar-a-lago?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's no satellite, it's a submarine! And it's heading for maralago

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Klyith posted:

TBQH the risk of hurting or killing anyone is pretty goddamn remote. Like, it's stupid that China is running so close to the edge of what their rocket can manage that they can't afford to put a system on it for the most bare-bones of re-entry control. Just "in the pacific" would be fine. But also I don't think it's an unconscionable risk.

The funny thing about the treaty that I mentioned before, it's the nation-state's responsibility to pay for damages even if it was some corporation that did the launch. So the US wouldn't let anyone like SpaceX do a launch this way, because then the US gov't would be on the hook for SpaceX's fuckups. So that's why everyone besides China is more on the ball. That and the potential diplomatic / prestige blowback.

tldr China don't care

Why can't they simply have a remote controlled self destruct on board? (To control timing and/or make the debris smaller)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Smaller debris isn't necessarily better. It's extremely expensive to put anything into orbit so putting x pounds of explosives you don't ever intend on using into a rocket is just not going to happen. Plus I imagine having a bomb on board would only dramatically increase the chances of something going horribly wrong.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Plus I imagine having a bomb on board would only dramatically increase the chances of something going horribly wrong.

Many rockets do have a self-destruct, but it's for when the rocket is launching if it goes out of control or something else is major wrong. Particularly solid rockets, because there's no way to turn those off other than blow them up. At that point you can use a very small explosive, due to the whole full of rocket fuel thing.

Not sure if China bothers though.

Spinz posted:

Why can't they simply have a remote controlled self destruct on board? (To control timing and/or make the debris smaller)

In space you don't want to explode anything because space debris is bad.

During reentry most of the rocket will break up into smaller pieces anyways. The metal walls of the fuel tanks are pretty thin & light, they're easy to rip apart by that type of force. That's why I said that most of the bits are basically sheet metal that's not super-dangerous.

The engines though are big solid things, which would be hard to blow up. And I imagine putting an explosive right next to a rocket engine would be pretty hairy.

But the biggest thing is, if they had the spare weight allowance to add a thorough self-destruct, they'd probably have the weight to add some tiny engines to control the thing and vaguely select where it comes back into the atmosphere. It doesn't take much nudge to do that in orbit. They're at the very limit of what their rocket can do.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
..............did everyone die yet?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This must be hell, all the bad posters are here :devil:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys it's May 10th, whose ready to watch the rocket come down???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i figured out the perfect place to send this thread to