Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
here's another

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
this one brings back memories

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
a fight for the ages

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
there's this

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
what a dump

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Sho'nuff!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
this was a bad day

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lmAo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i think that building broke or something op

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
it was termites

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

kntfkr posted:

it was thermites

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h10N2AiGkwA

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

this was the portable MP3 player to have, came out in 1999 from somewhere in hong kong or taiwan or something, you could order it from the same places that sold mod chips, had a 5GB hdd

it fit in nicely with all the other physical piracy devices a real warez god needed back then; VCD players*, quad speed SCSI CD burners, serial ISO7816 programmers, game cartridge copiers

*anyone else remember that one APEX budget DVD player you could get at wal-mart for $50 that not only was perfect at playing back burned VCDs (and I think straight up .avi files just burned on the CD) but also had the secret menu to unlock all the DVD regions. for a couple months every forum had a thread about it and people were hoarding them because they were sure the MPAA would ban them or something

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 7, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It was a big MMO era. And guitar hero.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't remember anything from 5 years ago let alone 20

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

this was my poo poo back in the 9/11 days it played all my lovely 64kbps mp3s from kazaa. it's basically just a usb stick with a battery pack that you put a AAA battery in. it couldn't shuffle, hence why the ipod shuffle prominently featured it in the marketing etc. in fact you had to cj the hell out of it to get the tracks in the order you want because it would do it in the order you copied them onto it, which was fine until you deleted tracks because then whatever you copied onto it after that would take the track's place

i don't know wtf happened to it which is a shame because i'd quite like to see what music i had on there. i'm pretty sure there would be a certain amount of emo that this guy would keep sending me over msn messenger, also radiohead

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
old mp3 players are like music time capsules

apparently this was my music taste circa 2008. looks like someone was in college

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd been working midnights at Denny's for nearly a year straight at that point, 6 nights a week, with Sunday nights off and smoking a poo poo load of weed. Was going to start college in September '01 and wanted the extra money (midnight shift premium = 1$ an hour more).
Also drinking a hell of a lot because in my experience food service workers drink and drug like motherfuckers.
It was a good year as there was always weed and booze to be found in the kitchen whilst making grand slams for drunk assholes who just left the bar at 3am. No manager most of the time either so smoke breaks were frequent.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I remember finding some audio files on Limewire that were .wma files instead of .mp3s and being disgusted.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Primus-Gin_and_Juice_country_version.wma

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Gresh posted:

20 years ago since this came out, gently caress I'm feeling old.

Can't believe they cut and refuse to release the scene where the eagles crash into the two towers

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Zil posted:

Can smell this photo

I worked at a Pizza Hut 20 years ago and I can assure you that the smell coming from that pizza was poo poo. The non-poo poo smell was even further back than 20 years.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bouillon Rube posted:

I think even with the earliest ones you could fit a whole CD as long as you kept the bitrate pretty low

It had 32mb of storage, even at 128kbps that was only like 9 or 10 songs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

*anyone else remember that one APEX budget DVD player you could get at wal-mart for $50 that not only was perfect at playing back burned VCDs (and I think straight up .avi files just burned on the CD) but also had the secret menu to unlock all the DVD regions. for a couple months every forum had a thread about it and people were hoarding them because they were sure the MPAA would ban them or something

Yes I remember this perfectly. I remember you had to go by a colored dot on the side of the box or something to make sure it was hackable.

There were two different hacks for two different Apex machines. One was just pressing a bunch of buttons. The other one you had to burn a CD and put it in which would then flash the player to be region free. I remember the screen turning purple for a few seconds as it flashed the new firmware.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If you didn't have a minidisc player in 2001 then gently caress you buddy, I don't know what to tell ya.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Sho'nuff!

But did you get head ?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

This thread inspired me to dig up my old Rio

The Offspring, yep sounds about right for 2001.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
“Weird Al” - The Devil Went to Jamaica (very funny!!!).wma

“Weird Al” - big_bird_and_kermit_get_high.wav

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if it's sad or a good thing that if I found an mp3 player from 1999, the music would still be identical to what I listen to today

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9-LF5y3Bs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That just gave me goosebumps.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

So what's up? That snake guy get freaky or what?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Nah that's just firiona vie's MO, just an elven paladin roaming the world getting into trouble and having to be rescued.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Literally A Person posted:

Woah sexy snake pictures. If only there were a poster who could provide more of this kinda thing...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

There were like a million Everquest expansions and back in the day any place that sold video games seemed to have every single on of them, and every cover involved this elf chick prominently placed in her saucy outfit.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Meme Poker Party posted:

There were like a million Everquest expansions and back in the day any place that sold video games seemed to have every single on of them, and every cover involved this elf chick prominently placed in her saucy outfit.

They just released their 27th last December

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I especially like the ones where there is a battle with wondrous creatures going on, but it's in the background like an afterthought, while elf lady looks at the camera.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

somehow managed to avoid everquest but I lost an insane amount of hours to this