Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

Far worse, but simpler. Also it was a time where being on the cutting edge of tech was dead simple.

other than a few underwhelming advances in technology like phones no longer having buttons I honestly can't see how. what does it mean to be on the "cutting edge of tech" in the current year and what's great about it? genuinely curious, I am old and if you offered me to spend the rest of my days living the early 2000s in a loop vs. the current timeline I'd take it and not miss anything, convince me otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

Now there's like a billion specific technologies used to run things and it is very complicated but also hella cool.

thats the thing though, "running things" just seems like monetizing attention by serving skinner box content in a thousand different ways, as far as the end product goes. I know the raw technology behind some of that stuff is impressive as its own thing but it's being used for things that are either boring or vaguely dystopian, from what I've seen. to use your example, what's the 2021 equivalent of having a shell box so you can IRC from school and serve stupid websites? I've seen advances in technology but they're more interesting on an academic level than "that's awesome and it will make my life cooler in this measurable way that couldn't happen in the past, the future rules", when it felt like stuff like that was happening repeatedly during the 80's, 90's, and early 2000s, and there was an incentive to keep up with technology beyond a paycheck. the self driving car I guess? I like driving though

pre-emptive

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

old beast lunatic posted:

This is the one that freaked me out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_587#:~:text=On%20November%2012%2C%202001%2C%20the,five%20people%20on%20the%20ground.

2 months after 9/11 and a passenger airliner falls out of the sky into a queens neighborhood because the tail fell off due to turbulence and the pilot's agressiveness with the rudder pedals.

Seemed like it was in the news for a day and a half a the time.

when this happened (or maybe it was the small plane one) I was 3 hours from home at this communal apartment some recently graduated high school friends had just gotten and we had spent all night smoking reefer and playing silent hill 2 on PS2 and crazy taxi on dreamcast then woke up to "oh poo poo 9/11 redux" for a couple hours until it was confirmed to be an accident and then I think we played street fighter 3 or something

do clubs still have industrial music night?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

this was the portable MP3 player to have, came out in 1999 from somewhere in hong kong or taiwan or something, you could order it from the same places that sold mod chips, had a 5GB hdd

it fit in nicely with all the other physical piracy devices a real warez god needed back then; VCD players*, quad speed SCSI CD burners, serial ISO7816 programmers, game cartridge copiers

*anyone else remember that one APEX budget DVD player you could get at wal-mart for $50 that not only was perfect at playing back burned VCDs (and I think straight up .avi files just burned on the CD) but also had the secret menu to unlock all the DVD regions. for a couple months every forum had a thread about it and people were hoarding them because they were sure the MPAA would ban them or something

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 7, 2021

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

somehow managed to avoid everquest but I lost an insane amount of hours to this