Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best shoot-'em-up weapon?
Bullets
Laser
Wide
Flamethrower
Spinny Things
Bombs
View Results

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The world needs to know what the best shoot-'em-up weapon selection is. You don't want to start playing a shooter and pick the wrong weapon! Your options (and to help you categorize what the weapon you're thinking of is):

• Bullets - What you always start with. Tiny specks that fly out. At higher power levels they may spread or fire behind you. The choice of boring people.
  • Laser - Anything that shoots a stream of concentrated death. Typically comes in blue. May look kind of like lightning depending on the game.
  • Wide - Anything that fires a wide beam in front of your ship. Often green, but known to come in a variety of colors.
  • Flamethrower - Similar to the laser, but only goes a short distance and doesn't have breaks in the shot. Always red or orange because it wouldn't be a flamethrower if it wasn't.
  • Spinny Things - Short ranged attack that surrounds you. Might be rocks, swords, or metal balls. They might fire outward in a loop, but the important thing is that they start out spinning around you.
  • Bombs - Explode. Limited in quantity and if you use one it usually means you either screwed up or just put the game in and didn't remember which button was fire for that game.

Well, which laser is best. The laser or one of the worse options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Did you intentionally leave out “homing” as an option because the dps is usually utter garbage?

I’m a fan of spinny things but just because they look neat as opposed to being that useful.

I though of it, then when making my post it fell out of my head. Obviously that makes it a bad shoot-'em-up weapon.