Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Action Man posted:

I'm looking for some advice about what to do about fixing up the engine. I haven't done a compression test, but aside from leaking oil it seems to run fine. There's basically been no major engine work done to it... the odometer reads: :siren: 104,000 miles :siren: What concerns me though is all the gaskets/wearable parts are 35 years old. I'm thinking about buying a rebuild kit like this one: https://www.lceperformance.com/Premium-Master-Rebuild-Kit-p/1010006.htm

First off, wow, what a truck, goddamn glorious. Absolute gem of a vehicle.

Secondly, that mileage? A rebuild isn't strictly necessary, it's an old Toyota, if you replace the gaskets you'll still have leaks, that's what they do, think of it as corrosion prevention. If you really do want to tear into the engine, you're approaching the mileage that the timing chain is due for replacement. Very likely to be the original chain with the original plastic-only chain guides. Likely not a problem now, but soon those guides will break and then the chain will eat the timing cover. LCE does a dual row upgrade for it that is a worthy investment if you are going to rebuild the whole thing. At the same time, it's not technically due yet.

Vac hoses, will be a yes for redoing no matter what. If you don't have to smog it then do a egr/air injection delete, likely the egr is plugged with soot and doing nothing anyways, it was a poor design. Replace the pcv valve.

Also, nadmonk is working on a 22RE in a 1988 4Runner right now, check out his thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Advent Horizon posted:

If the EGR and air injection are in working order you want to keep them that way - and what better method than lubricated and on a shelf? I honestly don’t think you’ll be increasing emissions that much because these systems were really pretty crappy to start with.

Yeah, those little tubes are unobtanium once they rot away. Although, the depths of my memory say that it's possible to pass smog without them.