Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Cyber Dog posted:

The thing I like about the crowd is their recognition of the action when commentary is going off the rails. I feel like it happens pretty regularly that something big happens in a fight and commentators have to play catchup because they were on some colorful tangent.

no crowd, no commentary would really be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
chucky olives is gonna gently caress chandler up.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BlindSite posted:

My money is on chuckles but Chandler isn't a great match up for him. He could for sure bank the early rounds.

i think if olives doesn't get perforated by a big overhand off an entry in rounds 1-2 he'll probably win. though imo there's a much higher chance of that happening than i would like to. chandler is really loving fast. heavy hands compared him to dan henderson which seems like a really apt comparison - he's got a sparse toolkit of extremely dangerous weapons and he's very good at figuring out how to use them against specific opponents.

but if it goes past the first two i don't think chandler will be able to explode into range effectively. if he takes oliveira down his top game has never been much more than a stalling tactic which i really don't think will work against oliveira. he'll just eat offense from range until he crumbles or goes for a bad shot or loses a decision. hopefully :pray:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

lmao. it's so hosed up that tony is never gonna win the big belt.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CommonShore posted:

Even if we go quantitatively, he has more submission wins, and more wins by different submissions than any other fighter in UFC history. You can look at someone like Diego Ferreira who is a 3rd degree black belt or whatever, but he only has two submission wins. There are tons of BJJ heroes who come to MMA and just don't put their grappling together for MMA and end up winging hooks like bums or gassing out and getting subbed by nobodies etc. Qualitatively, he takes dudes down, controls them, chews them up, and takes them out with an extremely diverse game of attacks. It's loving awesome.

I rarely try to single out the absolute #1 in any qualitative category, but the only other fighters who come to mind who are on Do Bronx's level for (modern) MMA submission grappling results are Maia and Werdum.

this post made me realize how much i want to see gillespie vs. oliveira.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

He’s a fun fighter and that is truly a great line, but I think he’s also a big obnoxious dipshit. I feel like this is a relatively uncommon take though, so it may just be some unconscious bias of mine. I’ve tried to cut the guy some slack since he’s clearly got mental health problems, but he can be an awful rear end in a top hat at times. In that presser, he was mouthing off about how he’s going to slam Dariush and how he slammed one of his students and broke their rib, like that’s something to be bragging about.

he pretty much is a big obnoxious dipshit. but he's a weird and funny one with an incredibly cool way of fighting who had an amazing streak of wins and all out action fights.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

it's just about dedication and mindset. do you feel like a winner? then no one can beat you. i started mining bitcoin to do my part in defeating all other animal species.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that fight was a roller coaster. when chandler was battering him on the ground i was dying inside.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah it was a lot of good things coming together at once. watching someone gradually improve for so many fights, getting owned a bunch of times on the way to a title and never having a boring fight doing it, was good. dana's hand picked white american guy getting smashed by a brazilian who doesn't know english was also pretty good.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
why do you think chandler got overconfident? imo he was most successful when he was confidently covering huge ground charging in changing stances with his chin in the air while the finish came when he backed off and settled into an exchange that oliveira won with a really nice left hook. i think poirier has a better chance against him if he does the first one.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
tbf jacare has always been a particularly determined guy even among the absolute maniacs who fight in the ufc. it's a real bummer he never made it to the belt.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

mewse posted:

Yeah bisping was outraged that rivera made a set of youtube vids with his clothing sponsor that parodied bisping. He's a thin-skinned twat and spitting on rivera's corner people was beyond the pale

yeah but in the intervening years he somehow figured out how to be a much funnier and pleasant one to listen to. it's also very hard not to have tons of respect for his career and how he won the title. he also has a very strong case for being the most likely not to have used PEDs in ufc history.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

GTO posted:

Did anything in particular happen to Woodley? Feels like it wasn't so long ago that he was tediously defending the title successfully over and over.

i think he's definitely slowed down a lot and is mentally checked out. but also he became champ by blasting lawler at the tail end of his second prime and never fought a pressure fighter in all of his successful defenses. or anyone who would really punish him for backing up to the cage and trying to do his move.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
he bashed luque with a few really good right hands. they weren't as fast as the world enders he hit people with in his prime and luque is indestructible so he's a bad gauge for how hard someone hits but it's a step up from bag-of-milk ben askren.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

crepeface posted:

please don't give me hope

he's 100% going to lose but we've been through the colby fight, it won't be worse than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think he's one of the best modern fighters to never fight for a title. but he's always been a few steps from the top, which mostly just tells you what a freak monster division lightweight is. assuming we don't count interim belts he's up against people who beat his rear end. and if we do count interim belts then you've still got guys like mendes and joe b who were the clear number 2 in their divisions forever.

he's very comparable to someone like jacare i think, absolute peak physicality and an incredibly strong specialized game. but kind of fragile and with flaws in his game that elite fighters can reliably exploit to beat him. but both probably could have fought for a ufc title with slightly luckier matchmaking.

imo barboza definitely has a case for the toughest schedule in ufc history though. non stop wall to wall brutal matchmaking. also i can't remember him ever having a bad fight.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 3, 2021