Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

Poor Diego. I'm not a fan, but drat it sucks how lovely the UFC is to fighters.

It's the 'I don't remember saying good luck' scene but with an endless number of dudes all nicknamed 'pitbull-assassin' instead of milhouse's dad.

Also, sorry to hear about your brother, but also thanks for that post, it's still one of the absolute best things I've read on these dead forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'd have gone with the OG UFC logo man and made him naked and covered in oil but I'm no artist.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

gently caress, I thought I had a third point. But I don’t.

None of us ever have points. Points are forbidden in the dome. Everything must be smooth and...domed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nis posted:

man what if cm punk beat cowboy though...

I would literally never stop laughing.

Brut posted:

He doesn't wanna fight at 170, the fight this weekend wasn't supposed to be at 170 either, he was ready to cut to 155 until Sanchez got replaced with Morono. Look for names at 155, or maybe even 145ers willing to go up to fight cowboy.

Max Holloway then.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

Lol no. Edson Barboza, Brendan Allen, Josh Emmett. Maybe even someone unranked but I'm poo poo with names so without a list in front of me those fighters might as well not exist.

There are others who make sense but I wouldn't wanna derail their own run for it, Evloev, Mitchell, Dawodu make sense to me but I think they all have things to do in their own weight class.

I haven't taken in to account who's already booked or not for this.

He fought Barboza many years ago. Both are different fighters now, for better or worse. Emmett would loving kill him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

When Tyrone Spong broke his leg his facial expression was like "oh bother."

This is the most viscerally terrifying thing I've seen in combat sports. It's one thing to see a horrifying injury. It's another for the fighter who suffered it to give a 'ah, shucks. what can you do?' shrug to the ref and his opponent. Spong is something else.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think the UFC should probably start promoting fighters at least somewhat equally instead of going hard on one dude and praying he doesn't get sparked. Oliveira deserved the win etc, but he also deserved a lot more focus and respect leading in.

Oliveira's a guy who's current form and streak just missed my radar. I knew he was good but I hadn't anticipated him becoming as good as he clearly is now. He's genuinely a remarkable fighter even purely from a statistical standpoint. He's got the most submissions, obviously, but he actually broke that record a little while ago and has gotten more since. He's also got the most finishes in UFC history, eleven performance of the night awards, got the second most post fight bonuses, most fights between his UFC debut and first title fight, widest variety of subs and so on and so forth. He's also just cool as gently caress to watch. He's absolutely the sort of fighter that a decent promotional effort should have been behind.

TheKingslayer posted:

Not all the time, but sometimes UFC promotion feels like something WWE would do but they can't pick the winners. Ronda vs Nunes comes to mind.

Which is interesting, since for her Carmouche and Holm fights, they absolutely hedged their bets and put a decent amount of promotion behind both Rousey's opponents.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JKong posted:

Oliveira's run to the championship feels a lot like RDA's. Lots of promise starting out, but always seemed to stumble in pivotal match-ups and so they get written off. But they kept getting better over time and finally they get over the hump. Very cool to see.

I was going to compare the two. RDA, when he got the title, set the record for most UFC fights between his debut and his first tite shot at 17. Oliveira just smashed it with 27 or so. It's amazing to see him come so very far, and spending the whole time with an Overeem esque dedication to either winning in a cool as gently caress way or losing in a really funny way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There is an argument for throwing fighters in the deep end, since most people/fighters struggle to learn from success and learn much better from adversity. However, it's also loving darwinian and with UFC management and a chunk of the fans being scum I don't know why anyone would trust them to be the ones making any kind of judgement.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

actually i just remembered a story from i think bisping who got knocked out but autopiloted to victory and came to during the result announcement. he said he was heaps excited but back stage everyone was trying to get him into the ambulance and he was saying 'no, i won, what are you talking about?' and finally someone asks him 'what year is it?' and he thinks for a couple of seconds before asking where the ambulance was.

scary poo poo.

Pat Barry told a story about the Kongo fight where the last thing he remembered was cracking Kongo really hard. He came to with someone right in front of him. He figured it was one of his team mates and said 'we got him, didn't we?' but the figure responded 'can you sit up?' and he immediately thought 'I'm already standing up. How can I sit up if I'm already standing up? You're a terrible doctor. You should be fired'

Also, if you've done grappling in Australia, you've probably heard of Paul Cale. He told a terrifying story of getting knocked out and waking up in mount, with the ref pulling him off the guy.

Marching Powder posted:

i absolutely cannot believe the ref didn't call that for pat. i forgot that cheick was known for things other than punting dudes in the balls

He was also known for terrible wall and stall decisions despite looking like the first draft of a Tekken character before they toned their body down to make him more believable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

personally i've always thought that ufc promos should be each fighter making traveller call out videos to their opponent and posting them online in 144p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9dLgKK1Y6c

That sounds like a good way to get fighters murdered.

Apparently an Irish boxer made a joking one of those videos and some travellers tracked him down and broke his legs.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

I'm thinking about it now, and I 100% believe Chael Sonnen's gimmick wouldn't have worked if he won even one single big fight. The fact that he always got his comeuppance is what made it work.

He also knew when to take the mask off. Right after Leben knocked out Wanderlei, like, immediately after, Helwani ran up to him, hoping for a soundbite on how bad Wanderlei is in continuation of chael talking about how bad Wanderlei was and is. Instead, he just shook his head in disbelief, talking about how he hoped Wanderlei was alright and that this was a very tough sport to grow older in. He even managed to sound genuinely worried. Whether or not it was real or something he'd worked out already, he knew when to drop/shift the act.

Bluedeanie posted:

How many fighters have Brian Wilson'd themselves in the UFC like this? I can think of Conor McGregor with the GTA5 yogi "movement coach," but he still won fights working with him so his decline seems to be more about fighting bigger, better opponents while doing cocaine and sex crimes. A lot of people also pissed away money on Mike Dolce but I trust his weight cutting advice was servicable, just sourced from youtube videos and sold by an idiot. I feel like there are too many sad stories in MMA for Diego's situation to be unique unfortunately, so surely there are others.

Didn't Dolce's trick turn out to be steroids and sitting next to them slapping pizza slices out of their hands?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Anderson giving props to Steven Seagal for teaching him the front kick :lmao:

That was more a joke that everyone was in on except Steven Seagal, which is a very good summary of Steven Seagal.

chaleski posted:

The only other example that comes to mind for me is that weird-rear end witch doctor guy that was in GSP's crew (or was he part of Jackson-Winklejohn?), but that was while Georges was one of the best fighters of all time so... :shrug:

wait, what?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Want a breakdown?

Good breakdown. I would, however, dispute that Cody, god's perfect idiot, has a bad chin. It's more that, despite having a near superhuman sense of distance and timing, he's also dumb as poo poo and gets into extremely dumb firefights that he doesn't need to. As a result, his chin is brutally tested by punches that would put most people away, and he still takes several shots to go down. The Munhoz fight was a perfect example. He threw out all his excellent boxing and just started winging the same haymaker repeatedly and eating the exact same counter. It was like an even dumber version of the second Dillashaw fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Whoever linked that Mike Perry documentary, nice work. That's a good watch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

McGregor did well enough in the first round that people buy into the 'he's gonna adjust to the calf kicks and win this time' narrative.

Which is especially funny since he managed to lose the first fight in exactly the time frame that he usually wins. It's not like he looks better after the second round. So even if he adjusts and survives a bit longer against the calf kicks, he's a fighter who looks bad late fighting a guy who seems to fight and hit hard really well forever.

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah but in the intervening years he somehow figured out how to be a much funnier and pleasant one to listen to. it's also very hard not to have tons of respect for his career and how he won the title. he also has a very strong case for being the most likely not to have used PEDs in ufc history.

Being the one guy in his era and division with really good cardio weakens that case

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

I'm inclined to disagree, consider the frames of his competitors, those dudes were huuuuge. Tim Kennedy springs to mind. Yoel. Bisping was a relatively straight up straight down pillow fisted cardio machine. He even said he was sitting down on his punches with rockhold because he didn't have his cardio at where he was most comfortable. I kinda get the impression he might have been a bit old fashioned about it even. Lots of road work.

There are PEDs that boost cardio without making you huge. Considering how much Bisping was content to cheat in the octagon, it's weird to think he wouldn't cheat outside of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

No it’s not, at all. I’ve said it before but in the ufc you’re allowed to cheat in the octagon a little bit, til they tell you stop. A little cheating is fine according to the refs, but not too much

gouging people's eyes out and throwing the most blatant illegal knee until Petr Yan is too much and its weird to say it out loud.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I dunno about that. TJ on EPO was pretty drat good. Having more gas for training camp and in general can be a huge edge. And sure, your other attributes still need to be good, but "cardio is easy and the only reason fighters don't have more is because training it is boring" doesn't hold weight.

TJ's change, in retrospect, is blindlingly obvious. The first fight against Assuncao, he looks amazing in the first round, but gasses out as hard as I've seen anyone gas below 205. Then, 6 months later, he puts on a virtuoso five round performance against an extremely dangerous opponent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

edson also has two ko finishes that are completely unlike anything else i've ever seen. that's kind of crazy.

He's also the only UFC fighter with finishes via head, body and leg kick and the only UFC fighter with more than one leg kick finish. He's a loving freak.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I rewatched Whittaker/Gastelum and, holy poo poo, that is really is two great fighters, just with one just a bit more great than the other. Kelvin shows why he's incredibly dangerous, and Whittaker shuts down, controls and beats and extremely dangerous fighter. It really was a testament to how good Whittaker is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

reeg posted:

Yesterday's card was very whatever but I encourage you to watch Ponzinibbio/Baeza if you can, it ruled

Pre-layoff Ponzinibbio was one of those guys who was working his way towards a title shot despite clear holes in his game like Matt Brown or Mark Hunt (or Oliveira for that matter) which to me is always more fun to watch than a truly complete fighter. Like Brown he'll probably never get his shot after losing to Li Jingliang but I'm always still excited to watch him

The last thing I remembered him doing was blasting Neil Magny in really impressive fashion. Turns out that more or less was the last thing he did.

Seconding this recommendation. It's a loving great fight. I was already a Ponzinibbio fan but this made my Mexican wife one. So there's now two Argentinians she likes.