Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had a dream where I was trying to play madden but they had integrated ads for groceries into the playcalling. Your first three options would be like "asiago sunrise, tuscan delight, southwestern charm" and you had to click through to get to the actual plays.

I woke up mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eifert Posting posted:

I had a dream where I was trying to play madden but they had integrated ads for groceries into the playcalling. Your first three options would be like "asiago sunrise, tuscan delight, southwestern charm" and you had to click through to get to the actual plays.

I woke up mad.

Someone at EA had the same dream and woke up with a massive boner.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Hey I played the new Madden on game pass and it sucks poo poo, worse than it's ever been

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's insanely bad

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Like I played the one last year and didn't hate it because I haven't played a Madden since like 2010 and I enjoyed it well enough despite some issues. This year's just feels worse in every way somehow, even in the menus. And the new drafting is just not satisfying in any way, you maybe get to know eight prospects in a class of 400 so any pick past the first two rounds are even more worthless than before. Bad video game

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've only played a couple of hours of the new one but the big thing I noticed was the passing game didn't feel very nuanced. It probably had a lot to do with inexperience and the scheme the CPU was calling but I just felt like slants were always open and everything else was always covered.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Chucktesla posted:

Like I played the one last year and didn't hate it because I haven't played a Madden since like 2010 and I enjoyed it well enough despite some issues. This year's just feels worse in every way somehow, even in the menus. And the new drafting is just not satisfying in any way, you maybe get to know eight prospects in a class of 400 so any pick past the first two rounds are even more worthless than before. Bad video game
Yeah, you're basically just drafting blind.
And you don't even get that much info on the guys you *do* focus on, unless you get them to 100%, which basically requires you to focus that position and then focus that player, and even then you can get burned lol.
Plus, the bonus you get from level 1 scouts is so tiny it may as well do nothing. You're only allowed one level 2 and one level 3 scout, so you only have two semi-useful scouts, and, well...see above.
I mean, the old system had serious clicking fatigue, but at least you had a decent idea of where to find value.
Basically, you'll probably turn up a decent QB no problem because it's worth focusing and easy to do so, but LBs , DEs, and OLs are a loving nightmare because Madden splits them up because this game isn't designed in any way that makes actual sense.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Bring back the pre made draft classes with clones of historic players and stuff like Leon Sandcastle.

Also get rid of MUT tia

I know it’ll never happen cause it’s how they make money, I just can’t stand the ultimate team stuff

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah they introduced their 'revamped' draft system and it's so loving dumb. The entire thing was pretty much a bandaid for how easy it was to nail all the top tier prospects in the bare bones spend weekly points beep boop here are player stats. They grossly overtuned it so that you could only actually get accurate scouting on less than 10 prospects. Also lots of aspects were completely broken like say the couple of times you can do focus player which is literally the only way to get the relevant stats on like 4 dudes would routinely just not work.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Retro Bowl on phone added kickoffs and here you can specify which player is the returner :hellyeah:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Retro Bowl on phone added kickoffs and here you can specify which player is the returner :hellyeah:

This is cool although I am finding it impossible to pull off a good return on Hard even with a max speed player. It suffers from the same thing any play involving RB's does where you can't juke anyone. The instant you swipe a defender somehow makes a diving tackle from like 8 body lengths away.

I suppose that’s realistic but I don’t play retro bowl for realism. I play it to drop 8 TDs on my opponent like it’s the 2007 Pats or Manning Broncos.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 6, 2022

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I used all my credits to increase the salary cap and now that I'm finally coaching the Cincinnati Bengals my stadium sucks and my fans hate me

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i found out my wr1 was accidentally named Ja'marr Ghase after he was already 28 years old. traded him. it never happened

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 7, 2022

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Ok this looks cool as gently caress

https://twitter.com/STATUSPRO/status/1516825540925304832

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

ESPN NFL 2K5 had this mode in 2004.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fartknocker posted:

ESPN NFL 2K5 had this mode in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oag8iBB7HE

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lol this is immediately what I thought of too

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Problem is throwing in vr is usually garbage

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A couple days ago I FINALLY got my first kick return TD in Retro Bowl (on Hard).

Today I get an update to the game that adds achievements for kick returns :negative:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Not sure if this has been brought up yet (probably has since it released about eight months ago) but I discovered this really fun game called Legend Bowl that is basically a pixel sprite NFL 2K. It's not licensed of course, but it's essentially just as deep a game as a Madden or a 2K. The gameplay is good and challenging, especially at the higher difficulties (and kicking is so hard) but it also has coach and franchise modes with full simulation if that's your thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1106340/Legend_Bowl/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256848235/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1629928346

Apparently you can also get an NFL mod that makes the teams and players the same as the NFL, but I don't have that. Anyone played this? I wish I knew of it earlier.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Play posted:

Not sure if this has been brought up yet (probably has since it released about eight months ago) but I discovered this really fun game called Legend Bowl that is basically a pixel sprite NFL 2K. It's not licensed of course, but it's essentially just as deep a game as a Madden or a 2K. The gameplay is good and challenging, especially at the higher difficulties (and kicking is so hard) but it also has coach and franchise modes with full simulation if that's your thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1106340/Legend_Bowl/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256848235/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1629928346

Apparently you can also get an NFL mod that makes the teams and players the same as the NFL, but I don't have that. Anyone played this? I wish I knew of it earlier.

This had not come up in this thread before and I'm very interested in it. It looks very cool in the videos of it, and I liked the Madden-style play calls it showed in one of the videos on seam, meaning modern and fairly complex pass routes and whatnot. Retro Bowl on my phone has been my go to football game for the last few years since it's quick and simple, but I may need to try this out when I have some more time...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fartknocker posted:

This had not come up in this thread before and I'm very interested in it. It looks very cool in the videos of it, and I liked the Madden-style play calls it showed in one of the videos on seam, meaning modern and fairly complex pass routes and whatnot. Retro Bowl on my phone has been my go to football game for the last few years since it's quick and simple, but I may need to try this out when I have some more time...

Glad to know it's a new one here. Yeah it is more madden like, but it also has some similarities with Retro Bowl. I do kinda think that controlling players on the run, on returns and after a catch can be kinda hard to do well, a lot of it is purely stat based as to what you can pull off and what you can't. So it can feel a bit trudging in that aspect. But I like it, and I'm playing it instead of Madden.

There's actually another one that just came out a week or two ago, but I haven't played it yet and to me Legend Bowl seems more full featured. This one is more full 3D but with a super low poly style. If anyone has played it or ends up playing it let me know what you think, I'm pretty curious.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1297790/Sunday_Rivals/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256873729/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1647610971

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the throwing in that game being a weird volley into the air that then starts actually traveling and reaches its target almost instantly is unappealing to me. i enjoy watching the foot ball heading toward its target in anticipation

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

like a big old football sailing through the air.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hate big strong arms that can throw it 60 yards and it looks like a bullet going 20 yards. i want the football to be in the air for 10 seconds and i want it to still be a big touchdown. real genius anticipation. not "talent"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cavauro posted:

the throwing in that game being a weird volley into the air that then starts actually traveling and reaches its target almost instantly is unappealing to me. i enjoy watching the foot ball heading toward its target in anticipation

the second game you mean? i have to agree with that. it's this weird effect they went for it seems like, cartoony kind of but I don't think I'm a fan of that choice

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah everything about the style of that second game drives me nuts watching the videos. The whole screen shaking on every hit for example. Seems like it would get old real fast.

Legend Bowl looks awesome though, thanks for the tip.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Looks like John Madden will be on the cover of the next MADDEN.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Whats the odds they do a special madden commentary mode where they mix in old madden clips along with an AI doing new player names. That would actually be cool I think.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Probably just re-upload the old Ask Madden voiceovers for play selection

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

Whats the odds they do a special madden commentary mode where they mix in old madden clips along with an AI doing new player names. That would actually be cool I think.

Maybe if they also used AI to pair it with Pat Summerall.

That said, I can't ever remember really liking the commentary in a Madden game... honestly ever. Certainly not in any game during the last few console generations (Going back to like Madden 07 or 08). I think usually I'd be mostly muting it or ignoring it before I got through a single season in Franchise mode every year. Of course, for a modern-ish NFL game, I don't think any thing has ever topped 2K5.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

They just ask Frank Caliendo to make new clips.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
This may be worth picking up on a sale if not solely because of the janky physics.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1488560/Football_Simulator/

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-football-game-is-the-hardest-ive-laughed-this-year/

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i thimk it needs more violence

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etiXPf1op0U

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cavauro posted:

i thimk it needs more violence

You say that about everything. You sad that about my nephew's bris.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This looks like someone dared to ask “what if we had a football mode in the Grand Theft Auto 3 engine” and I am here for it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Reported for doxxing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

anybody got madden. are there any new features on ps5 and xbox? i can't get that version. i don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I got it. It does have new features. I'll let you know.