Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

I swear I remember having a DOS football game in the early 90s where the players were monsters and there were hazards on the field and stuff. It feels like it should be Mutant League Football, but apparently that was on Genesis and PSP, neither of which I ever had. This was a DOS game, complete with "DRM" in the form of trivia questions that could only be answered if you had the manual. I feel like I remember flying eyeballs with bat wings being prominent? I'm looking at screenshots of Blood Bowl from 1995 and Brutal Sports Football from 1993 and I don't think it's either of those.

Mutant League Football kicked rear end. We were a Nintendo household and that was one of the few games that made me jealous of friends with a Genesis. It was just so over the top batshit insane, it was great. Straight up murdering the refs features prominently in the strategy, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m obsessed with Retro Bowl thanks to you dorks. Even if it does become almost impossible to lose after a while because you learn what every possible combination of routes and defenses results in and can spot the mismatch on every down. Then it becomes a different game of trying to surpass your own ludicrous personal records, or win MVP with a RB or whatever. Far more addicting than I thought a little phone football game could ever be.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It’s just an even more naked vehicle for trading card micro transaction poo poo than the main game.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

The AF /NFL fighting is interesting

Now I am thinking about an NFL themed fighting game a la Mortal Kombat and I desperately want this to exist.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

With the amount of retro bowl I’ve played I would still feel like I got my money’s worth at $100. It such a god drat fun game.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Retro Bowl on phone added kickoffs and here you can specify which player is the returner :hellyeah:

This is cool although I am finding it impossible to pull off a good return on Hard even with a max speed player. It suffers from the same thing any play involving RB's does where you can't juke anyone. The instant you swipe a defender somehow makes a diving tackle from like 8 body lengths away.

I suppose that’s realistic but I don’t play retro bowl for realism. I play it to drop 8 TDs on my opponent like it’s the 2007 Pats or Manning Broncos.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 6, 2022

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lol this is immediately what I thought of too

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A couple days ago I FINALLY got my first kick return TD in Retro Bowl (on Hard).

Today I get an update to the game that adds achievements for kick returns :negative:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah everything about the style of that second game drives me nuts watching the videos. The whole screen shaking on every hit for example. Seems like it would get old real fast.

Legend Bowl looks awesome though, thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This looks like someone dared to ask “what if we had a football mode in the Grand Theft Auto 3 engine” and I am here for it.