Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the handwashing craze was mostly useless in terms of addressing an airborne respiratory disease but it gave businesses the opportunity make it look like they were taking steps towards protecting their customers by putting hand sanitizer dispensers at every entrance so they went all in on it. Transmission via fomites is definitely a possibility but it would only have accounted for only a tiny tiny percentage of cases during the entire pandemic, the amount of resources and energy spent on promoting handwashing was massively disproportionate to the protection it afforded against covid, especially when actually effective measures (good masks, better air circulation in buildings) were constantly being downplayed.

..... but having said that I'm also in favour of people washing their hands way more often than they generally used to so even though I think it was mostly security theatre in terms of covid I'd prefer the handwashing to stick around.

I saw a lady pull her mask away from her face, sneeze, and then put it back on. Didn't want it to get wet, I guess. Meanwhile the US Surgeon General is putting out a video on how to make a mask out of a t-shirt, instead of explaining how masks work and how to use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YLXEhSjVsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump accidentally appointed a decent man to the office of Surgeon General.

Biden restored normalcy. :patriot:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Trump accidentally appointed a decent man to the office of Surgeon General.

Biden restored normalcy. :patriot:

The cloth/paper masks were only ever going to protect other people from your spit and phlegm, they weren't going to protect you from an airborne virus. My mask protects you, your mask protects me. The US and Canada did a terrible job explaining that.

I guess because they thought rugged individualists would only be concerned with protecting themselves, not protecting those around them. Especially when "I don't even feel sick". But it left them vulnerable to "masks don't work" messaging because masks don't work the way most people thought they should (a magic shield of protection).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Facebook Aunt posted:

I guess because they thought rugged individualists would only be concerned with protecting themselves, not protecting those around them.

They were right, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9znGKsInyZI

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

The cloth/paper masks were only ever going to protect other people from your spit and phlegm, they weren't going to protect you from an airborne virus. My mask protects you, your mask protects me. The US and Canada did a terrible job explaining that.

I guess because they thought rugged individualists would only be concerned with protecting themselves, not protecting those around them. Especially when "I don't even feel sick". But it left them vulnerable to "masks don't work" messaging because masks don't work the way most people thought they should (a magic shield of protection).

The intended function of cloth masks is “they look badass and make money for Etsy while providing cover for politicians”. They’re not good at respiratory protection for anyone.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The intended function of cloth masks is “they look badass and make money for Etsy while providing cover for politicians”. They’re not good at respiratory protection for anyone.
They’re more than nothing, but mostly they were an overcorrection to a mask shortage that, in hindsight, wasn’t a real shortage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Move on from this

It serves nobody to dogpile an 86 year old you don't know because he's unvaccinated. He makes his own choices. Dude gave a story. You can choose to like or dislike it I don't give a poo poo but this derail should end

No one was dog piling the 86 year old.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Platystemon posted:

not true; anything that slows or redirects your breath affects the spread of your respiratory droplets. your elbow doesn't filter poo poo either, but sneezing into it causes a dramatic reduction in the distance and distribution of the spray

cloth masks pretty demonstrably do more than not wearing a mask, and in the early days when the entire planet was sold out of surgical masks, they were a good idea. they still are, any time droplets are a concern and you don't have access to anything better.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 19, 2024

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

For a stretch in 20/21’s respiratory season a lot of people masking were in cloth and surgicals and flu cases absolutely cratered. I wouldn’t trust them for personal protection but on a population level it feels like it makes a difference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Influenza dips below Rt of unity every year simply because of the onset of spring. The average person contracts a case every five or ten years.

It’s an extremely low‐energy pathogen compared to SARS‑CoV‑2. You could thank any of a dozen factors for the retreat of influenza, from halfassed masking to school/business/event closures to people staying home when they had a cough to Mike Osterholm’s darling “viral interference” hypothesis.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Facebook Aunt posted:

I saw a lady pull her mask away from her face, sneeze, and then put it back on. Didn't want it to get wet, I guess.

In the waiting room for my second Covid shot, an elderly man was taking his surgical mask off in order to cough into the crook of his arm. Repeatedly, as in, that man was not well enough to be there.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I still find places that have their water fountain/bottle filling stations turned off. Like IKEA, they weren't even open when we thought that could even be marginally useful.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zugzwang posted:

Handwashing is a good idea for lots of non-covid pathogens. Also soap and water whenever possible, not just Purell or whatever, because some of the most contagious pathogens around (like norovirus) are impervious to hand sanitizer.

Yeah I didn't look into the science but it never seemed quite good enough to me. It's just alcohol and gel, right?

naem
May 29, 2011

I wash with soap and water and then use hand sanitizer on top of that now, take that pathogens

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Move on from this

It serves nobody to dogpile an 86 year old you don't know because he's unvaccinated. He makes his own choices. Dude gave a story. You can choose to like or dislike it I don't give a poo poo but this derail should end

This is a lockdown.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

I had this for a long while, turned out to be an undiagnosed red meat allergy. Long delay from exposure to symptoms so it was really hard to tell.

This is from a while ago but thanks for posting this because I stopped eating red meat and it went away :allears:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

Salt Fish posted:

This is a lockdown.

I'll nail your door shut I'll do it don't test me I'm a madman

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is from a while ago but thanks for posting this because I stopped eating red meat and it went away :allears:
At least we got chicken!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was at the allergist’s office the other day and she said they do have treatments for this now. Might be worth looking into.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kestral posted:

This is why I don't do the wait inside anymore, just gimme the jab and I'm out. I'll go sit in my car for 10-15 minutes, thank you.

Had a good COVID-related dark chuckle today. A dear friend who I haven't seen since before the pandemic put me back on his list of people to text whenever he's going to hold a Magic night, in an attempt to lure me back into socializing with that group. I've told him gently but repeatedly that he and his wife live in a highly social way that makes them unsafe for me to be around, since I'm in frequent contact with vulnerable people I could transmit COVID to and am in a vulnerable category myself, but it doesn't seem to sink in. The first "pls come play magic" text went out on Monday. This morning we get a follow-up cancelling the event, because their entire house has COVID for the fourth or fifth time.

You can go and wear a good N95 the entire time and you’ll be fine, I prefer the 9210+ Aura with the braided straps, or wear an elastometric with P100 filters to go even further beyond

Proper masking is what will save you from everyone else

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah I didn't look into the science but it never seemed quite good enough to me. It's just alcohol and gel, right?

a 70/30 isopropanol/water mix evaporating fucks up the cell membranes of most living things, denaturing proteins and dissolving lipid bilayers. the organisms that can survive it, like c. diff, usually do so in a dormant, more resilient state, as spores for bacteria or unusually rugged viral particles. hand sanitizer works really goddamn well for the overwhelming majority of things you can transmit or receive by touch. it just doesnt work on everything.

handwashing, on the other hand, is physically knocking loose and washing away the stuff on your skin, including a lot of the skin cells on the top layer. you can actually get your hands to the point where you can be reasonably certain nothing alive is on them because of the ablative nature of soap+water+scrubbing, assuming you add in a small brush and a pick to get around and under your nails. thats why it works on those unusual extra-durable microbes; they don't get killed, they just get physically removed by scorched-earth destruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Scarabrae posted:

You can go and wear a good N95 the entire time and you’ll be fine, I prefer the 9210+ Aura with the braided straps, or wear an elastometric with P100 filters to go even further beyond

Proper masking is what will save you from everyone else

5 to 8 hours of maintaining a good seal on an aura in that environment isn’t really viable (especially since it’s a dinner event) and as much as I appreciate elastomerics, I wouldn’t want to wear one for that long. Is the risk manageable? Sure. Is it worth putting the vulnerable people in my life, myself included, in jeopardy to play a card game? No, it’s selfish and short-sighted.

I’m just thankful that one day I’ll be out of this mess via vaccines, since I’m not immunocompromised/suppressed, just (“just”) high-risk. It’s the people who don’t have that hope on the horizon who are in a deeply loving grim situation - and that’ll be a lot of us at some point, between cancer treatments and corticosteroids.