Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

I know a few people who haven't gotten the vaccine who are definitely not anti-vaxxers who are just lazy fools who complain about making appointments or driving downtown just to get a shot and make it sound like they'll get around to it. And yes, those people who it just goes "to the top of the pile" for are among people I'm talking about here. You make it really easy for people, like to the point that they can integrate it into a thing they are already doing on a whim and you'd definitely claw out a few more percentage points. Getting groceries and you see a no appointment, no cost vaccination site while you've been dragging your feet, hell you might get it then. Get offered by your work to get a shot on a day they have people coming to come do it, sure why not.

The bar was a pretty extreme example and more of a fun bit to throw out there, but hey, vaccinating people at a bar is probably an effective use since they are clearly already participating in a really high risk stuff. That one probably has more downsides though, so it's more of a silly example.

I know that for neither my vaccine nor my wife's vaccine was insurance even asked for so that doesn't really factor into it. From what I can tell, there should be no patient costs anywhere in the US and in the case of uninsured they are supposed to be billed to the government. Though these kind of setups would likely be more like the mass vaccination clinics, run by the state or county rather than a private hospital system or doctor's practice. People worried about this would also probably be easier to reach this way too, since you could have signage indicating no cost and no need for insurance.

The whole point is not every unvaccinated person is an anti vaxxer. Some just won't go out of their way to get a shot, for a variety of reasons ranging from stupid to tragic. The easier it is, the better. The more opportunity, the better. Every few percentage points you can claw out, the more likely we are to actually reach herd immunity.

Walgreens at least has been emphasizing that the shots are free in commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I’m still wearing my mask. gently caress em. Thug life

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Woof Blitzer posted:

I’m still wearing my mask. gently caress em. Thug life

A licensed therapist is inbound to treat your cave syndrome. Please do not resist, citizen.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

oldskool posted:

They're getting real desperate to sway anti-vaxxers...like, I get it,, but idk why they continue to think this sort of thing will work when the past year+ shows how clearly it doesn't.

I wish we'd stop just using carrots and start using sticks. No assholes you want to go into the store? Get a vaccine. You want to keep your job? Get a vaccine. You want to keep your friends? Get a vaccine. Either they get a vaccine or society rejects them. Really all it'd take for most is forcing these assholes to wear real masks, or face fines/jail time, they don't have the stomach for any sort of inconvenience.

Of course exceptions made to those who can't for medical reasons.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duck and Cover posted:

I wish we'd stop just using carrots and start using sticks. No assholes you want to go into the store? Get a vaccine. You want to keep your job? Get a vaccine. You want to keep your friends? Get a vaccine. Either they get a vaccine or society rejects them. Really all it'd take for most is forcing these assholes to wear real masks, or face fines/jail time, they don't have the stomach for any sort of inconvenience.

Of course exceptions made to those who can't for medical reasons.

Sticks really can't be employed until the FDA fully approves the vaccines, then we'll start to see sticks taking effect I suspect.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pharmacies in the US ask for insurance so they can get reimbursed for administering the shot. If anyone tells you they paid for the vaccine they are probably lying or mistaken.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Buff Hardback posted:

Sticks really can't be employed until the FDA fully approves the vaccines, then we'll start to see sticks taking effect I suspect.

In a 6-3 ruling the supreme court has ruled it unconstitutional to mandate any vaccines

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

When I got my shots they didn't even ask for an ID, I made the appointment online, and showed up at the appropriate time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ben shapino posted:

oh wow my group of friend's dumbest guy isn't getting the vaccine, what a shock

get the vaccine idiot

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Well we can start with peer pressure.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 14, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Huh I was under the impression that insurance was required as they asked for my insurance info. But in retrospect that doesn't make sense and walk up clinics are a thing.
Point is that if people who have the option to haven't already taken steps to get the vaccine, there's no indication that they will in the future until something changes.
I dont mean to be doomer but we are gonna learn the hard way

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

wilderthanmild posted:

I know a few people who haven't gotten the vaccine who are definitely not anti-vaxxers who are just lazy fools who complain about making appointments or driving downtown just to get a shot and make it sound like they'll get around to it. And yes, those people who it just goes "to the top of the pile" for are among people I'm talking about here. You make it really easy for people, like to the point that they can integrate it into a thing they are already doing on a whim and you'd definitely claw out a few more percentage points. Getting groceries and you see a no appointment, no cost vaccination site while you've been dragging your feet, hell you might get it then. Get offered by your work to get a shot on a day they have people coming to come do it, sure why not.

The bar was a pretty extreme example and more of a fun bit to throw out there, but hey, vaccinating people at a bar is probably an effective use since they are clearly already participating in a really high risk stuff. That one probably has more downsides though, so it's more of a silly example.

I know that for neither my vaccine nor my wife's vaccine was insurance even asked for so that doesn't really factor into it. From what I can tell, there should be no patient costs anywhere in the US and in the case of uninsured they are supposed to be billed to the government. Though these kind of setups would likely be more like the mass vaccination clinics, run by the state or county rather than a private hospital system or doctor's practice. People worried about this would also probably be easier to reach this way too, since you could have signage indicating no cost and no need for insurance.

The whole point is not every unvaccinated person is an anti vaxxer. Some just won't go out of their way to get a shot, for a variety of reasons ranging from stupid to tragic. The easier it is, the better. The more opportunity, the better. Every few percentage points you can claw out, the more likely we are to actually reach herd immunity.

You can get the vaccine at loving Wal-Mart. There really aren't any excuses any longer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The government will pay them for vaccinating you, but at least some insurance companies pay better, so it behooves them to ask.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:chud:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

poll plane variant posted:

In a 6-3 ruling the supreme court has ruled it unconstitutional to mandate any vaccines

Just to be painfully clear, you're making a sarcastically pessimistic joke here, right?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Chinatown posted:

get the vaccine idiot

:rackem:

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just to be painfully clear, you're making a sarcastically pessimistic joke here, right?

Yes

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Eh, give it a month.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cool, just checking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They might be joking but they probably aren’t wrong.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

They might be joking but they probably aren’t wrong.

Meh. Despite how the Republican death cult is operating, it still strikes me as a reach that the Supreme Court would void a century or more of established case law to own the libs. During the measles outbreaks a couple years ago I read into the matter (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer) and the ability of individual states to mandate vaccination under the umbrella of public health is pretty robust. Not to mention that employers can mandate these things, too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Meh. Despite how the Republican death cult is operating, it still strikes me as a reach that the Supreme Court would void a century or more of established case law to own the libs. During the measles outbreaks a couple years ago I read into the matter (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer) and the ability of individual states to mandate vaccination under the umbrella of public health is pretty robust. Not to mention that employers can mandate these things, too.

States maybe it just seems like a pretty large over reach for it to be federally mandated.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

States maybe it just seems like a pretty large over reach for it to be federally mandated.

Well, yeah, I'm not sure the Feds could effectively mandate vaccine outside international travel or a few other specific areas - I'm pretty sure it falls to the state level, much like mask mandates and lockdown stuff.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, yeah, I'm not sure the Feds could effectively mandate vaccine outside international travel or a few other specific areas - I'm pretty sure it falls to the state level, much like mask mandates and lockdown stuff.

They can certainly mandate it to the military.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1392907170702839808

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/participate-in-activities.html

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 14, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mikemil828 posted:

They can certainly mandate it to the military.

Like I said, there are some domains where the Feds would have the authority, but they're specific.

Uuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhh. That last one in particular feels way wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Capped for future archæologists.

Some activities are more safest than others.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Wow what can't this vaccine do?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

sweet thursday posted:

Wow what can't this vaccine do?

Ha
Perfect

Seriously for me the most amazing one is to be indoor with a choir???
They should specify how important it is if everyone loving there is vaccinated or not!!!

They don't do it enough with those charts imo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spinz posted:

Ha
Perfect

Seriously for me the most amazing one is to be indoor with a choir???
They should specify how important it is if everyone loving there is vaccinated or not!!!

They don't do it enough with those charts imo

Vaccinated people can now sing indoors with a choir without a mask even if some of the other people are unvaccinated. (Those unvaccinated people should be wearing masks, however)

Edit: unless they're singing in a choir in a hospital, prison, homeless shelter, airport, airplane, bus or Uber. Everywhere else is just fine!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also they have to be fully vaccinated, if they're within 2 weeks of their final shot they still have to mask up & socially distance
https://twitter.com/davidalim/status/1392911339153154050

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But we’re still pretending the J&J is GTG at two weeks because we hate science.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I like masks

1. Makes me look like a ninja or some poo poo
2. Prevent spreading disease or contracting disease
3. Can be slightly more anonymous
4. Probably overall just cleaner and safer for food workers and poo poo
5. Don't ever have to look at strangers' ugly rear end teeth or smell their gross breath, in fact considering how fugly the average American is, probably good to not see most of the face in general

I'll probably keep wearing one for a while longer

edit: Also can't wait for the 5th wave to come roaring and consume the anti-vaxxers

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

also SURELY this means that people who are anti-vax are going to now be pro-maskers to show everyone how they're anti-vax, right? like a "i'm not vaccinated and you can't make me" badge of honor? right?!?!?!?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also keep in mind that only 42.5% of adults in the US are fully vaxxed so if you're at an indoor venue or a very crowded outdoor venue you should expect to see almost 2/3 of the adults and nearly 100% of the children over 2 still wearing masks.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also keep in mind that only 42.5% of adults in the US are fully vaxxed so if you're at an indoor venue or a very crowded outdoor venue you should expect to see almost 2/3 of the adults and nearly 100% of the children over 2 still wearing masks.

I don't expect that at all, and you can't convince me I should expect that in this reality.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I love how they say "we've gotten this far" as though America's overall pandemic response has been anything other than a worst-case scenario

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freebooter posted:

I love how they say "we've gotten this far" as though America's overall pandemic response has been anything other than a worst-case scenario

I love that they end with "please protect yourself until we get to the finish line" like uhhhhhhhhhh what's your definition of a "finish line" there dudes and when do you expect we'll get there

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I love that they end with "please protect yourself until we get to the finish line" like uhhhhhhhhhh what's your definition of a "finish line" there dudes and when do you expect we'll get there

just in time for the tokyo 2020 summer olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Also they have to be fully vaccinated, if they're within 2 weeks of their final shot they still have to mask up & socially distance
https://twitter.com/davidalim/status/1392911339153154050

Yes, that's what "fully vaccinated" means. Like all of this poo poo, though, it's going to fall on deaf ears and we're gonna get a lot of dumb, sick assholes soon. For the next 12 days, at least, I'm not gonna have to see them (not that they really showed up, uh, ever here where I live; we did take it seriously, apparently).