Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It can also make you feel worse if it says no antibodies even though those are just one part of your immune response. An antibody test isn’t going to detect T and B cells for it, which are very important.

They are! But if knowing if you don't have them or you do will help you make decisions, taking the test is the right thing to do.

Galewolf posted:

I know it will fade away soon (?) but it felt better to see everyone dutifully cleaning everything before and after they use them.

It was pretty good for a while around here, pre-vaccine. In a world where about 15% of the people locally are fully vaccinated, none of the gyms I've peeked at recently have any sort of posted covid policy and the front desk people are all maskless. So I'm not even going inside at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

learnincurve posted:

Yeh everyone’s going to get a booster along with the flu shot, and masks on public transport is never going away.

One thing we learned is that people in the U.K. are filthy buggers, and if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.

Someone posted some survey result the other day that suggested that 38% of Brits only wash their bedsheets once in an entire YEAR.. that's not possible, right??

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It was pretty good for a while around here, pre-vaccine. In a world where about 15% of the people locally are fully vaccinated, none of the gyms I've peeked at recently have any sort of posted covid policy and the front desk people are all maskless. So I'm not even going inside at this point.

I go to a chain gym in London, quite central location so they had:

-Cleaning products and wipes everywhere, hand sanitizer on pretty much every wall
-The gym windows were wide open
-Every workout station is separated with bands on the ground
-Arrows guiding your in one way in one way out kinda system. It works for me as I move to bench to squat rack for all exercise.
-The policy is posted everywhere including the entrance
-You have to book your slot through the app, I don't think they enforce the time you spend there but I can see how many people in there or which slots are booked

So, yeah, idk I was quite vehement about not going to the gyms but now that UK is jabjab land and pretty much next week we are going back to licking bar taps inside the pubs I thought this would be a good time (I had Covid 5 months ago and had my second jab a month ago) so I guess this will be as good as it gets for me. I'm exceptionally weak, tired and stressed so wanted to give this a try.

Seems like they hiked the prices to compensate for the distancing rules and whatnot, it basically went from £20 to £35 which might be also a factor in not many people being inside. I'm self employed so I can book off-peak hours like 4 p.m and gtfo before after-work crowd descends in.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 6, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
If you really need to go to the gym for the squat rack and are fine paying 75% markup curve be damned open er up then poo poo please enjoy yourself

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

They have two squat racks :shobon:

The markup is not too much considering that I'm not a pub-goer or have any expensive hobbies. I used to practice kendo and go to the gym before the roni, which cost me around 70 quid a month (50 for the kendo venue hire + 20 for the gym), nightlife is still not full on open-er-up so I pretty much have no outgoings besides bills an rent.

I tried open air running or doing home workouts and failed miserably and my body is literally crumbling from lack of physical activity so decided to give this a go on a non-contract membership. It also gives me a good reason to go out as the walk is like 15 minutes through nice open streets.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

greazeball posted:

I feel like someone upthread: when the numbers of new cases per day is finally at something lower than loving crazy number like it is now, then I'll start thinking about doing some indoor or crowded stuff. In about 6 weeks, after my second dose settles in, I'll feel a lot better about going shopping, taking the train and stuff like that. The guilty pleasure I don't know when we'll be able to do again is going to the sauna/baths. I love a day relaxing in saunas and whirlpools and chilling in the sun or shade. It'll be a while before I look at a steam bath with anything but horror.
If "current trends continue" (~25% decline in cases every 2 weeks), then in six weeks US cases should be down about 60% from what they are now.

Of course, maybe they'll decline faster (more people will be vaccinated, warmer weather). Or slower (fewer precautions). Either way the world will be very different in six weeks, and it will definitely vary a lot region to region.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

If you really need to go to the gym for the squat rack and are fine paying 75% markup curve be damned open er up then poo poo please enjoy yourself

Ok we get it already.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apparently the provincial government told the courts to just toss all covid fines so the courts wouldn't get tied up

which is hilarious because apparently it's okay to do that to our hospitals :laffo: Anyway they declared today that won't happen any more and they doubled the fine amount. Dumb motherfuckers.

They also are opening up vaccinations to everyone over 12 by the 10th. loving finally, my husband and the majority of my social circles are now able to get it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Picnic Princess posted:

They also are opening up vaccinations to everyone over 12 by the 10th. loving finally, my husband and the majority of my social circles are now able to get it.

Jesus what's the age of majority in your province?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Another Bill posted:

It's Alberta. Alberta is......special

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

MarcusSA posted:

Ok we get it already.

Hey when the Covid19 virus mutates into a no poo poo for real rabies/zombie virus you just let me know because you will encounter that poo poo before I will (if you go to the gym)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ShadowHawk posted:

If "current trends continue" (~25% decline in cases every 2 weeks), then in six weeks US cases should be down about 60% from what they are now.

Of course, maybe they'll decline faster (more people will be vaccinated, warmer weather). Or slower (fewer precautions). Either way the world will be very different in six weeks, and it will definitely vary a lot region to region.

I'm curious to see how things go in my city. It's a tiny city in comparison to Mexico city, so I guess it will be easier to follow how the vaccines are helping out. And I believe we won't notice until the people in their 40's and 30's get vaccinated.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The zombies thing just popped into my head tonight as I wondered what the consequences of so many warm bodies harboring so much of the virus asymptomatic or otherwise and how it's basically infinite dice rolls on the mutation factor because
Squat racks

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

You have a better chance of catching tetanus or something in your goon hovel but yeah, outside does sound scary

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

The zombies thing just popped into my head tonight as I wondered what the consequences of so many warm bodies harboring so much of the virus asymptomatic or otherwise and how it's basically infinite dice rolls on the mutation factor because
Squat racks

I'll eat your mom first

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Another Bill posted:

It's for tHe EcONoMy, if schools are closed, parents need to be home/monitor them during WFH hours, so that's fewer minutes spent working! They're being unproductive/wasting company time!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Space Camp fuckup posted:

You have a better chance of catching tetanus or something in your goon hovel but yeah, outside does sound scary

Yeah aren't surfaces not really an issue unless they're basically warm and dripping?

And even then you'd have to lick it

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah aren't surfaces not really an issue unless they're basically warm and dripping?

And even then you'd have to lick it

Yeah it’s a bit of a miracle that fomite transmission isn’t much of a thing. The risk has always been aerosol transmission.

Everyone has different risk tolerances. I’ve been paranoid as hell for 14 months but if you’re vaccinated it seems like you don’t have too much to worry about generally, especially if you’re still wearing a mask in certain situations. I went to my favorite bar and hung out on the patio once I was two weeks post second shot. It was great!

I dunno man, it looks like this is going to hang around forever. I’m just going to cross my fingers and take a calculated risk here and there. That’s life I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

learnincurve posted:

Yeh everyone’s going to get a booster along with the flu shot, and masks on public transport is never going away.

One thing we learned is that people in the U.K. are filthy buggers, and if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.

“Basic hygiene” for the flu was understood to be clean hands. It turns out that’s really not a major mode of SARS‐CoV‐2 transmission and there is every reason to suspect that the flu is the same way.

The two effective ways to avoid the flu were getting vaccinated and not hanging out with a bunch of people indoors. All the teachers with the hand sanitiser habit just got lucky. Maybe some will wear masks now, but that was never a thing before because our understanding of “basic hygiene” was woefully inaccurate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

“Basic hygiene” for the flu was understood to be clean hands. It turns out that’s really not a major mode of SARS‐CoV‐2 transmission and there is every reason to suspect that the flu is the same way.

The two effective ways to avoid the flu were getting vaccinated and not hanging out with a bunch of people indoors. All the teachers with the hand sanitiser habit just got lucky. Maybe some will wear masks now, but that was never a thing before because our understanding of “basic hygiene” was woefully inaccurate.

The flu does spread via fomites but not as well as it does via aerosols. Different viruses stay intact on surfaces for wildly different amounts of time. Hep B can stay on contaminated surfaces for two weeks. HIV can stay on contaminated surfaces for minutes. SARS-CoV-2 is luckily more like HIV than Hep B.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Platystemon posted:

This is false.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I don't know why the US is so averse to tracking. We could all do these things so much safer if we were tracking like many other countries do because people would know they were exposed when others in their vicinity (like that Chinese buffet) happen to pop positive

I miss my favorite Chinese buffet and I would absolutely go if my local numbers were lower (the county its in is brick red for transmission and deaths! yay!) and we had tracking.

Contact tracing is pretty much pointless when daily cases levels are above a certain point because it'd be pretty much impossible to share that information with the community in a timely manner. If your county regularly gets 50 positive cases a day and each of those cases probably visited 5 or more public places in the days before they tested then the local government would have to issue a list of over 250 locations/times every day and ask everyone to check the list each time it comes out and if they visited any of those locations during those times to then go get tested and quarantine until they got their result. Of course that's assuming that every person who tests positive will even agree to cooperate with the contact tracers, which we know isn't happening. Another option is to have QR codes in every shop, school, library, etc so people can sign in whenever they visit or to use a phone app which registers when people get within a certain distance of anyone else with the app and I can't imagine that either of those would be all that successful in the US.
Of course venues should still announce when they've had an outbreak among the staff or something but I'm sure they'd be under a fair amount of pressure to just not mention it. Anecdotally I've already heard from a bunch of people in the US that their offices don't tell them when someone in the company has popped positive, and there's lots of stories about schools not telling parents when a kid's classmate has popped positive because they'd got real stupid ideas about what constitutes a "close contact" because they're already running low on staff and they want to minimize the number of kids that go into quarantine.

We had a single case of community spread in Sydney Australia on Wednesday and we're mobilizing a huge amount of resources to contact trace this one guy and so far we haven't been able to figure out how this one random dude (who doesn't work in quarantine services and hasn't traveled overseas) even came into contact with the virus in the first place. We were able to figure out via genomic sequencing that the original source was a specific person who is already in hotel quarantine but we haven't been able to figure out any connection between the two cases, so there has to be at least one other infectious person out in the community we can't find.
The health department has issued a list of the venues the man visited in the days before he got tested:

.... and the area of Greater Sydney (over 5 million people) have been placed under a raft of restrictions until at least Monday:

quote:

- No more than 20 guests (including children) to gather in a household
- Masks compulsory on public transport and in public indoor venues including retail, theatres, hospitals and aged care facilities
- Front of house hospitality staff must wear face masks
- Drinking while standing in indoor venue is not allowed
- Singing by audiences at indoor shows or at indoor worship is not allowed
- Dancing is not allowed in indoor hospitality venues or clubs, except for at weddings where it's recommended no more than 20 people are on a dancefloor at one time
- Visitors to aged care facilities must be limited to two people
They announced Thursday morning that the restrictions would be imposed from 5pm that evening and people were like "But what if we use public transport and we didn't bring a mask with us this morning?" and the answer was "Well go buy one, dumbass" lol

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The flu does spread via fomites but not as well as it does via aerosols. Different viruses stay intact on surfaces for wildly different amounts of time. Hep B can stay on contaminated surfaces for two weeks. HIV can stay on contaminated surfaces for minutes. SARS-CoV-2 is luckily more like HIV than Hep B.

No matter what we should still wash our hands and don't shove our fingers up our noses after touching every surface around us.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess we should also mention this in this thread:
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1390021145911513089

E: LOL
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1390023742194061312

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I thought masks weren't actually terribly effective for the flu, and that was what caused all the messaging fuckups at the start of the pandemic until it turned out that the masks actually did something for covid-19.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

jesus christ lol but really which one should i buy into now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

I thought masks weren't actually terribly effective for the flu, and that was what caused all the messaging fuckups at the start of the pandemic until it turned out that the masks actually did something for covid-19.

If masks are ineffective for the flu, why have healthcare workers who have not received the influenza vaccine long been required to wear them six months out of the year?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is false.

It is true.

quote:

The long-range airborne, fomite and close contact routes contribute to 54.3%, 4.2% and 44.5% of influenza A infections, respectively. For the fomite route, 59.8%, 38.1% and 2.1%

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6121424/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Lol. We've known aerosol transmission is the dominant vector for a long time. That's not the point.

Did you ever consider that those numbers are the result of things like hand washing, etc.?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

4.2 is a lot higher than 1 in 10,000 like it is with SARS-CoV-2. It’s not a huge source of infections but it is still there in a non-trivial amount, and that article even mentions use of hand washing and disinfection to limit spread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Lol. We've known aerosol transmission is the dominant vector for a long time. That's not the point.

Did you ever consider that those numbers are the result of things like hand washing, etc.?

I responded to a statement that “if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.”

Which is is? Most flu deaths were preventable with basic hygiene, or basic hygiene was already in effect and that’s the reason fomites didn’t place higher? I realize I’m talking to two different people here, but you can’t both be right.

4.2 is a lot higher than 1 in 10,000 like it is with SARS-CoV-2. It’s not a huge source of infections but it is still there in a non-trivial amount, and that article even mentions use of hand washing and disinfection to limit spread.

You’ll find plenty of articles even today mentioning the use of hand washing and disinfection to limit the spread of COVID‐19.

I also wouldn’t take either of those numbers as gospel. We are watching a paradigm shift in progress. A lot of textbooks will read differently in a few years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Are you drunk?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I responded to a statement that “if we had done basic hygiene before this then most of those flu deaths were preventable as well.”

Which is is? Most flu deaths were preventable with basic hygiene, or basic hygiene was already in effect and that’s the reason fomites didn’t place higher? I realize I’m talking to two different people here, but you can’t both be right.

You’ll find plenty of articles even today mentioning the use of hand washing and disinfection to limit the spread of COVID‐19.

I also wouldn’t take either of those numbers as gospel. We are watching a paradigm shift in progress. A lot of textbooks will read differently in a few years.

There’s a huge difference between the flu numbers for fomites and the novel coronavirus is all. You can actually prevent cases of the flu with handwashing, albeit not many.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Speculative investors seriously thought that they were going to profit off of the vaccine? :capitalism:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sjs00 posted:

Squat racks

I assume you know what you're on about and are very smart

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

Squat racks

Lmao, you are crazy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. update; 50+ and vulnerable getting boosters from September

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Galewolf posted:

Lmao, you are crazy.

- you don't need to wear a mask
- it's not airborne
- it's just the flu
- it only kills people over 80
- the vaccine is actually giving people COVID
- it's turning everyone into murderous zombies

There's a natural 18 month progression there.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Another Bill posted:

- you don't need to wear a mask
- it's not airborne
- it's just the flu
- it only kills people over 80
- the vaccine is actually giving people COVID
- it's turning everyone into murderous zombies

There's a natural 18 month progression there.

Your skipped the "It'll be over when weather gets warm" phase after the "It's just the flu" phase bu p. much.

It is common knowledge that gyms are secret Umbrella Corporation bases where viruses get mutated inside...checks notes...squat racks.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Gologle posted:

I second that, the thread is too useful as a timeline of how things progressed to let it die away.

When covid started spreading we were talking about it in the late pages of the chinathread, I wanna say maybe a week(s?) before a proper covid thread was started and around the same time that chinathread was closed for a new one.
Can't be assed right now to find whatever that chinathread was called but if you find it, in the last pages we're discussing it as it goes from rumors of an outbreak in Wuhan to "holy poo poo this thing would be everywhere by now". It would be quite a trip to read this stuff today.