Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

I get my second Moderna shot next Thursday. Speaking of which, I always hear about second shot side effects from Pfizer getters. Is Moderna the same in that regard?

I had about 48 hours where things were really hosed up (throwing up on the sheep, shaking like a leaf, falling down some stairs, etc) but then I was fine. So, take two days off and hope you don't need them.

Aardvark! posted:

i'm going to drive half an hour to the "good" chinese buffet here once my vaccine takes hold. I will also probably go out to eat with my best friend and his wife once they are both vaccinated. also we will probably go disc golfing. anyway i will follow the CDC's guidance in all things, it will be a long while before i'm going out all the time again :hai:

holy gently caress i want some chinese buffet. just think of those chicken skewers. imagine building a little log cabin out of egg rolls. oh baby

I don't know why the US is so averse to tracking. We could all do these things so much safer if we were tracking like many other countries do because people would know they were exposed when others in their vicinity (like that Chinese buffet) happen to pop positive

I miss my favorite Chinese buffet and I would absolutely go if my local numbers were lower (the county its in is brick red for transmission and deaths! yay!) and we had tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

are buffets allowed to operate rn? they aren't where i live

may 15th 2020 here in loving GA. and SC. and FL. AL held out a little longer.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm debating whether i should get an antibody test or not. It's been 2 weeks since my second moderna dose. Between having no side effects from the shot and that recent survey of patients on certain immunosuppressants (i take one of those) not having detectable antibodies, i'm worried that i didn't respond to the vaccine.

The CDC says they do not recommend the antibody test for patients with weakened immune systems, as it may not give a reliable assessment. And i don't wanna get charged for a test that might give me a false negative.

On the other hand, that survey only checked patients who received their first dose and not their second. So i really should wait for the follow up to that study before worrying about it. Plus i'm not an organ recipient like the people surveyed in that study; i am treating a chronic illness. Not sure if that will affect things.

I don't regret getting the vaccine at all. I just want reassurance that i have even a little bit of protection with the vaccine as an immunocompromised person.

Immunocomprobud here. Do the antibody test if it'll help you feel better. You should be okay to go, but caution is always a great thing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PathAsc posted:

Good friend of mine just went into the hospital for covid and associated complications from it.

Hopefully they heal up fast and they're out soon :smith:

MarcusSA posted:

No they probably won’t.

At this point if someone comes down with COVID symptoms vaccinated or not they will most likely get tested.

in some areas

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It can also make you feel worse if it says no antibodies even though those are just one part of your immune response. An antibody test isn’t going to detect T and B cells for it, which are very important.

They are! But if knowing if you don't have them or you do will help you make decisions, taking the test is the right thing to do.

Galewolf posted:

I know it will fade away soon (?) but it felt better to see everyone dutifully cleaning everything before and after they use them.

It was pretty good for a while around here, pre-vaccine. In a world where about 15% of the people locally are fully vaccinated, none of the gyms I've peeked at recently have any sort of posted covid policy and the front desk people are all maskless. So I'm not even going inside at this point.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

you're being a remarkable rear end in a top hat here on top of being incorrect since the sars 2 virus is not going to mutate into some existential ebolapox nightmare

oh god do we have another plague called ebolapox now

hakimashou posted:

Went out to buy some shampoo and stuff today and let the cashier lady upsell the crap out of me. I bought twice as much stuff but saved 15% see, minus the cost of enrolling in their loyalty program and also received several FREE gifts such as a towel and a little canvas bag and some travel size hair products.

Dang it feels good to go out shopping again!!

where the gently caress do you go shopping? walmart doesn't have that poo poo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I had to get my roof done today because when it rained, there was a waterfall down my chimney and the paint started peeling near it.

Let me let you guess how many people turned up with masks and/or have worn them near me/when showing up at my door to knock (because I'm trying to stay out of their way). They've been here all day and they're doing a fantastic job, but drat, you can't even yank a bullshit gaiter up? Come on :smith:

So, I'm masking up for the rest of the night when I'm anywhere outside my house, keeping windows shut, and whatnot. And hopefully if anyone is infected, it's too dead to try to get me through my vaccine tomorrow morning.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Yeah once you're fully vaxxed its a tremendous sense of relief. That black cloud of anxiety over the miasma of illness and death lurking everywhere just disappears. You survived the pandemic.

Even if you don't really do much extra, as if by magic the worry is gone.

Things do get much better, people are able to overcome great obstacles. Even the british, who somehow did a worse job than the US of responding to the pandemic, have been able to end it with half-measure vaccination.

I got a booking for a vaccinated person's funeral today. He was younger than I am and got unlucky enough to be a breakthrough case. He's number 400. I'm done for a while on Monday.

I'm giddy for the vaccines but this cloud isn't going away until that death count is way, way lower (for me, anyhow). We still see a lot of cases and a lot of deaths every day, but there are days it goes the right direction. Better than nothing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

JeffLeonard posted:

How on earth did you find out he's a fatal vaccine breakthrough case? His body should be donated to science. Weird that you would have a one in a million (10 million? 100 million?) case.

I personalize every funeral I officiate and end up talking to the families a lot. The grandmother went on a trump tirade and the parents helped put it together after she got off the zoom call in my confused, polite silence.

He is not that much of a rarity but I hope that they become a hell of a lot less common. His mom said he had his last shot on the 14th of April and died three days ago. I don't know when he got infected. People spill their guts out to clergy members all the time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

JeffLeonard posted:

Thanks. I'm not sure of your age, but I am assuming this fellow is under 40. I'm not sure what the deal is with the other posters quoting me, but under 40, fully vaxxed and dying from Covid is an EXTREME long shot.

He was in his 20s. I don't really care what the chances are when his parents are crying and telling me about him as a kid and how proud they were of his accomplishments and how they were dreaming of him doing more. It's a common thread among the grieving. I think people are mad at you because the stuff you're saying isn't based on the facts we currently have.

Big City Drinkin posted:

Pfizer 2 knocked me on my rear end. Got it Thursday at 10 am, had a sore arm when I went to bed that night. Then I woke up at 4 am with a 102 degree fever, sweats, chills, aches - the whole works. Luckily the fever dropped sub 100 after ~6 hours, but I was very stiff/sore the rest of yesterday and had a poor appetite. I woke up today feeling great.

Absolutely outstanding.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Green Nail Polish posted:

Breakthrough infection deaths are indeed one in a million. As of April 26, 132 breakthrough infection deaths have been reported to CDC in America.

Fluffy Bunnies, you very likely preceded over the funeral of the youngest fatal breakthrough infection in America, if not the world. Remarkably unfortunate and I'm very sorry you had to experience that unique burden.

:cripes: it'd be the right way to finish off my set with this group. I'm out of rotation until at least August after this guy and everyone is very much hoping that we don't have to go back in.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Are there numbers for "long covid" sufferers in the US?

if there are, I'd really like to see them for scientific curiosity. To the best of my knowledge, the only covid deaths counted are the ones that directly die while having the virus, not the ones that die months later from complications; in the US anyhow. It's totally possible that I'm wrong, though

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

But that's not what we're talking about here. The whole thread of this discussion is that hyperfocus on mortality rates is bad, so more attention to the non-fatal outcomes of covid is good, which includes cases where it assumes the appearance of a chronic disease. Pointing out that chronic illnesses kill people is just returning to the initial problem of a hyperfocus on mortality.

Okay so when we have about 600,000 dead and Covid is (statistically) sitting on about 10% of average US deaths per day, I don't get why "hyperfocus" on deaths is bad. Dying is bad and we should be trying to avoid it. I dunno why people wouldn't be deeply concerned about so many deaths and a disease that is pretty impressively deadly.

And shouldn't long-term deaths from covid complications count, especially if "long covid" is the long-term version of it? I think that's more my question: are we counting long-term complications from covid/covid damage/long covid as covid or covid-related deaths? or not? And if we're not, why not? People who die from complications due to say, AIDS, tend to get counted in AIDS deaths.

I would very much like the bad dead number to go away completely, but I'm curious and interested in the whys and what lines we're drawing and the whatfors, etc.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fools! They've doomed us all!!!!

YEAH!

Lincolnstein posted:

People really like drinking beer, eating Chinese food and going to watch other people play sports. Pity.

There's only 1 Chinese restaurant here that allows eat-in dining and it's so weird, because I assumed that after a year they'd be open, too. Instead, my favorite one says they're probably permanently take-out only because they've made triple the profit from not having to deal with flipping tables.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

Just realize that the vast majority are over it or given up. I'm in patient facing Healthcare and nearly the whole department has vacations and events and traveling planned starting in June.

being over it doesn't make it less deadly or less of an issue or :cripes:

I get quarantine fatigue too but man.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

He's got a really punchable face

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

nexous posted:

we’re at the point in a house fire where we learned spraying water on it will put out the fire

It’s almost out so we better turn off the fire hydrant, anything else would be doomerism

it's more like the house is ashes and we just learned that we can spray water on it so we're gonna spray water on the ashes and pat the homeowners on the back and tell them it's all great now, go on ahead and go home.

learnincurve posted:

Yup.

Not everyone in this thread is American - The U.K. has been under lockdown for over a year, in my area that’s been total lockdown, we have a verifiably working vaccination program, very few deaths, and bugger all hospital admissions amongst the vaccinated. We mostly find doom posting utterly exhausting - It’s one thing having to wear a mask going in to a restaurant, it’s another to have not been in one for a year and still have a new variant sweep across the land.

Where are you? I had an English friend going to bars and pubs and stuff and she ended up with covid last year.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

And I'm on funerary detail hiatus until August.

LanceHunter posted:

Oh yeah, took the COVID test and got the results this weekend: All negative. Given how terrible a lot of people's sanitation protocols were in Dallas, I'm feeling pretty good that the vaccination is doing its part.

Very awesome you had all negatives dude.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

i'm honestly very relieved for you

Please leave me alone.

Sjs00 posted:

the responses ranged from 'Oh thanks for the heads up yes ill take some water ' to 'hell no vaccines and hell no to your water I have a house'

All you can do is try and I'm glad you did.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Spinz posted:

Yea
I think that could have been meant well. I was glad to see it too. CMON people.

This morning I went to the cspam covid thread and in 5 minutes I was starting to get chest tightness from anxiety. I had to leave. Living in Georgia and seeing grieving families- the frustration at the cognitive dissonance (if that's the right term) I can't imagine how hard that is and I know I couldn't handle it. I'm glad that burden is being shared so Fluffy Bunny gets a break and I look forward to seeing everyones posts in here.

he's been aggressive, hateful, name-calling, and all kinds of poo poo. I've asked him not to interact with me repeatedly and yet he still is especially with lovely sneery stuff like that. and I literally can't block him because he's an IK and you can't block those people.

I'm not glad I'm on break. It means more people have to take up my slack, but we're required to stop every 400-500 and take a break and I am about to have a real busy time here for a little bit.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

questioning your logic isn't allowed, being supportive of you isn't allowed

what's allowed besides commiseration? we're all experiencing covid, fluffy bunnies, not just you

welcome or not, i'm glad you get a break from one of the multiple stressors you constantly experience. i don't know how to state it more plainly

Please Leave Me Alone

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The dnd crew is all vaxxed. Time to make lovely tacos and roll dice :getin:

You know, even after covid is done, I dunno if I'll go back to in-person D&D. It's really nice to do over discord in my pajamas. You miss out on spontaneous silliness, but, pajamas.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

You can do both - our first D&D in person session is in 2 weeks, I will absolutely be wearing pajamas or at least sweat pants. Best of both worlds.

Ugh, I'm jealous. :smith: Punch a kobold for me.

learnincurve posted:

You want unlimited with the free Amazon prime Amazon prime Amazon prime

slickdeals dot net can help you stay ahead of the curve. with thousands of new, hot deals every day, you can save enough on your daily purchases to buy disney world.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

What the gently caress, 400-500 seems like a TON before getting a break. What was the average amount lre covid?

I don't really know but I'll ask some of the folks who have been around in the group longer than me. I signed up because they were desperate for help. I assume not many at all. Overflow stuff like that was pretty rare. I'd done funerals before (one a dude I did a blessing for before he went overseas and welp, I guess I hosed that up because he didn't come back in one piece) but not as many as this and not so close together.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

just realized I misremembered my second vaccine date and its not until next Wednesday :doh:

re: ppl posting at eachother while I was gone yesterday, if i have to probe anyone for that poo poo im going to probe everyone who adds on, so I would kindly thank boar guy/fluffy bunnies to stop interacting with each other at all. the thread seems completely fine when it's not about that

:thanks:

Thank you.

And I'm sorry you don't get poked tomorrow :smith:

this looks like the covid version of that dumbass employee of the month movie from years ago

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

Just got my second shot!! We can do this people.

congrats my dude.

I still haven't gone and gotten my donut and I should. I would like a donut :shobon:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

One dude I know has continued on with his life as normal and somehow got through multiple family members and friends getting and co-workers and acquaintances getting covid without getting infected. He just... Mr. Magoos his way around viral plumes or something.

I'm starting to think he might be too stupid to actually be infected. The virus just can't recognize him as a suitable breeding ground.

he's probably been infected (possibly multiple times) and he's just one of those asymptomatic people.

or the virus, like you said, decided he was too dumb to worry about infecting.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

haha not here, not for a while yet for me anyhow.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

yeah that seems really fast.. i won't claim to have any scientific basis but i don't think i personally will be doing nearly as much post vaxx as i would if masks were still a thing

we had 841 deaths yesterday and 35,000+ new cases. while numbers are trickling down in terms of infections, it's because masks are on people's faces. We are nowhere near that 60-80% fully vaccinated rate they said we needed and I assume they're just giving up because they don't think we'll get there due to the downturn in vaccination demand.

I'm going back to doing nothing but groceries and animal food again. no takeout. :smith: gently caress I'm gonna miss takeout.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Play posted:

I think not wearing masks outside, while still social distancing with strangers, is totally fine and even overdue. The true danger is indoors and large outdoor crowds.

It really, really depends on your situation. Are you on a jogging trail with very little breeze and everyone is staying way the hell apart (since they just said that it can spread more than 6 ft)? Yeah that's probably fine. Or like, outdoor yoga that's got everybody very far spaced and has little wind.

But gosh there's way less of that and way more of closer-than-the-majority-thinks-type outdoor activities. I keep going back to my local farmer's market, but it's kinda just what comes to mind. People don't realize there's 60 people within 10 ft of them and 3/4ths of them don't have their vaccines (statistically, because Georgia is like 48th for vaccinations)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chinatown posted:

rear end IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Covid isn't spread through the rear end, when did it ever go off the menu?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

it depends on if it's a communal rear end you're eating or a private one

oh gently caress I better go get a snap test.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

True but the people not wearing masks should be fully vaccinated so that doesn’t really matter.

If everybody followed the rules, we would have been maskless months ago and safely so.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

you mean the vaccination isn't magic? frick.

I wonder if it's a variant we haven't named yet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pyrtanis posted:

If you have an instant pot and like butter chicken, you can make this, scroll about halfway down to get past all the terrible preamble:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-butter-chicken-lady-who-made-indian-cooks-love-the-instant-pot

I presume you don't have doordash or Uber eats that goes out where you are, you mentioned a farm?

No delivery of any sort. I don't actually eat meat, but my neighbor is crazy for butter chicken and I'm totally going to make this for her. And I bet I can find a lot more cool stuff to make with the instant pot I never do anything with. I'm gonna change that because of you. Thank you :3:

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Conceptually the government should be able to talk to us like responsible adults, and if the truth is that vaccinated people can go around without a mask they should tell us that. I guess we'll have to see how that goes.

I agree with this, but I also look back at what we did this time last year and then look at the infections and death toll we had. I know that's without vaccines, but they touted 60-80% being the hallmark before we could do anything near like this. I'd really love for them to address why it changed so drastically and so suddenly. Are there new studies? Is there more info?

If my vaccinated self is actually, really safe out and about per this new guideline, that's incredible and wonderful and I couldn't be happier. I just really want to know what we found out that changed it so much, especially like that tweet that other poster posted that has so many sick athletes with the Yankees that were fully vaccinated. Like, that other dude jumped my case but I was being legitimate when I said I wondered if maybe they're gonna be the discovery zone of yet another variant or some such. Because several have popped up and maybe this is just a new one.

Sjs00 posted:

If they gave me a free donut everyday instead of just once then I could proudly eat my vax donut everyday I step outside as a political symbol that I could do

...Walking back my pause on take-out until I get my donut.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

I am not trying to be pedantic but have you spoken to this demographic at all? And how about the working class who work all under the table, untaxed cash, no health benefits. Sure they could go get the vaccine (without insurance ?) but they're already so 'unmotivated' the vaccine just goes to the top of the pile.
This really is Darwin calling

My folks are deep red, Trump maniac, blue-collar folks and definitely are all those things you said above. They don't have health insurance whatsoever and their vaccine was covered here in the states. They didn't pay anything. Is it different elsewhere?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

I get that this is a joke but this kind of interviewing is critical to getting these bumpkins to go get loving jabbed, it needs to be done. If we knew their specific arguments and beliefs maybe we can begin to debunk them

I am quite ready to take to the streets with the covid19 alarmism if thats unclear in any way

I've kind of done this in my local walmarts and whatnot. Someone breathing down my neck maskless and it usually goes like this:

me: pardon can I ask you a question?
them: yeah!
me: I know the covid guidelines are uncomfortable for a lot of folks. I don't like them much, either, but I'm pretty sick so I follow them. How d'you feel about them?

It's usually either met with them moving back and glaring at me (yay!) or them moving back and us talking about often opposing viewpoints. I've convinced a few but not many. Most of the arguments I've heard are what you expect: it's got a really high survival rate, the vaccines don't work, etc. Talking to them about my ongoing ministry experience and everything else has certainly gotten some pauses.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:cripes: We've posted almost 80,000 new cases in two days.

I'm glad it's down a little but that's still so many sick people.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Looks like retailers such as costco are following the CDC and saying as long as you promise you're really vaccinated (nobody will question you and you don't have to prove it) you can go without masks now. I expect this will be the norm everywhere in the next month.

Which means since I can't get vaccinated effectively I'm basically going to be a prisoner in my own home for... years? Indefinitely? Until I finally get unlucky and get sick and die? COVID will never go away because we'll never hit herd immunity, but nobody will ever take it seriously again because 'just get vaccinated if you care so much' and the cases among unvaccinated people will stay just low and just high enough to keep it a never-ending threat for the immunocompromised.

Yeah you're basically never going to be free from this because the second this thing lets up even a little bit, everyone freaks and floods forward and tries to push too hard for their old lives back. Maybe one day, but it won't be soon. I'm so sorry.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

freebooter posted:

Get ready for the part of the pandemic in which the developed world goes back to normal and there are stricter-than-ever border controls with the developing world!

Is "normal" where people go "oh yeah my 37 year old friend got covid and he's in the hospital but whatever" while they eat buffalo wild wings and also get covid?

I realize a shitload of people are doing this now but now everybody has the government's go-ahead and encouragement to be this when we are still way under vaccinated according to recent, previous outlined necessities.

It feels like the government is just going "well, gently caress it, they're all going to do whatever they want anyhow. May as well tell them it's cool."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

How many years on earth did it take you to finally understand how average human beings deal with tragedy that isn't theirs?

How many years on earth will it take you to realize that nearly four figures of people dying every day in a single country to one illness shouldn't be normal? especially when it's an incredibly contagious illness?

It's cool to open up when covid is fuckin' off, but it isn't anywhere near there yet. May 5th we had 42,000 new cases. We're still averaging very close to that 10 days later. Why all these sudden regulation drops when nothing has changed and 10 days ago it was "oh well we aren't ready for it yet! here are our hallmarks!"

Why throw all the hallmarks away and go "gently caress it, just do whatever"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Show me that on a Wednesday or a Thursday and I will be so excited. Cases report slower on the weekends. But drat I'm glad it's still goin' down.