Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just got my second Pfizer shot. The pharmacist suggested to hydrate well to help lessen side effects as well as the usual advice of massaging the injection site area to lessen pain there. I'm less hyped for shot 2 but I'm sure I'll appreciate it before long since my dad is already planning a road trip next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Trip report 27 hours post-Pfizer shot 2. Have a minor headache and feel a tiny bit feverish (a bit hot or cold and a little achy) but my temp is 98.6. It's usually closer to 97.9 so that's just incredibly mild, barely anything at all. Arm is a little sore at the injection site but not bad, feels like a little bruise. Got a pretty good night's sleep and I was very tired when I went to bed. If things stay like this and improve I'll consider myself lucky since that's barely anything. I had pretty much no reaction to Pfizer shot 1 that I could tell so I guess I feel lucky to not have bad side effects.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ntan1 posted:

I got my second shot at around 8:30AM on Friday. By 4PM, I was really sleepy but with no fever. After I woke up the next day, the entire day I had chills + a fever + tiredness + body ache + a headache, even when I went to sleep at 11:59PM on Saturday.

Then I woke up at 9AM on Sunday and magically felt perfectly fine.

Yeah I had a similar progression, felt a little feverish and not 100% yesterday but today I woke up feeling normal. Hope the boosters are like this because one day of feeling not amazing is fine compared to covid.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ugh.

My SO, who's had Covid once because he was stupid and kept going out (with a mask but still) , now has his own conspiracy theory about it all.

Since some news claimed that the virus has been in the US before we realized it, he's now 100% convinced that the US created this virus and gave it to Wuhan THEN lied about it and blamed China. You'd think that's not being racist but you'd be wrong because he said, repeatedly, that it's "Not the China Virus, but it's something else. China Virus is much different." so...yeah.

He claims his doctor said he's had it TWICE too.

With the Delta variant rolling about, he'll probably catch that (despite being vaccinated) because he went to multiple stores without a mask yesterday.

I love him but he's frustrating as gently caress a lot of the time.

EDIT: He claims that the virus was obviously here in October 2019 because it takes 2 weeks exactly to get the virus active and because of that, people had it show up in November 2019 so it's made in the US. "Simple" he claims. He also claims it came from pigs, not bats. Because the US has less pigs and it most likely started in Iowa because he got sick around November 2019.

A lot of folks had Influenza B (me included) in late 2019 or early 2020 and later attributed the symptoms to covid since they're similar. They're wrong but that won't stop people from making assumptions. I even had a regular flu shot in 2019 but was sick for almost a week in January 2020. I had been setting up a laptop for a guy who was sick and just hovered next to me for an hour.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

what is Ron DeSantis' problem? Like, I don't even get it. People are just dying all over and... I don't even get it. Like, OK I know why Hitler and Stalin and Pol Pot and Mao and Suharto killed millions of people. It was bad, but I know why they did it and what they were trying to do. I don't even understand this whole angle of, like, letting everyone get sick and die to prove that there is no problem? What are you trying to do?

edit: I don't even see our current state as being in line with all the other history I know. Like, this all doesn't even seem to mirror anything I know about. It's just super fuckin weird.

He's gonna run for president at some point.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zugzwang posted:

What if all the chuds quit the military, FBI, and CIA???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG3uea-Hvy4&t=13s

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got my pfizer booster about 13 hours ago and I'm feeling like I have chills just now (minor headache started a couple of hours ago). Fortunately I'm going to sleep so I'll get to miss most of it unless my reaction differs from dose two. So far it's almost exactly the same, and if so I should feel back to normal in another 12 hours or so.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

When I went to the grocery store this week I'd say the majority of people weren't wearing masks, including employees. This is the reverse of what I saw two weeks ago. I'm just gonna keep wearing KN95s and not getting near people as much as possible until everyone is dead I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaCsZAaXlU4

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mozi posted:

go outside, nerds. nobody is saying you need to be near anybody else so you don't even need to shower first. and you can even wear a mask if you want to

No thanks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

With no insurance I'm getting used to paying like 30-40 bucks for a flu shot every year. It'd be nice if they didn't charge more than that for covid boosters when the government stops paying for them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You can go to a CVS and get it for free. If you're in the US.

Yeah that's what I've been doing so far but since the government seems to think that covid is over, it may not be true later.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

all_purpose_cat_boy posted:

I’m not saying pharmaceutical companies are saints, but looking at the cost of manufacturing one vaccine is very much missing the point.

There is a huge cost to develop the vaccines in the first place, get approval, then manufacture, distribute , store and administer them. Plus the income from any successful vaccines needs to cover the development costs on failed vaccines that never see the light of day.

So saying they cost 6c to produce and comparing that to the sale price is not really fair.

That's the constant corporate bullshit reasoning, but somehow the cost of basic life saving medicines like insulin keeps going up and becomes unaffordable despite being very affordable to produce. Turns out big pharma is actually profit based to an extreme and is not just using profits for R&D to help humanity, but actually also for bad things like trying to hide how addictive their opiates are, how deadly some of their drugs can be, and hiring lawyers and lobbying politicians to keep themselves out of hot water. There's really no end to just how corrupt it all is and the lack of regulation and price controls assures it will continue.

You're right that the cost to make a dose of something should not be the same as the cost to buy it, but they are so far out of whack in many cases that it's just absurd greed and not any of the altruistic arguments that are given.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It’s finally happened - I’ve washed and disinfected my hands so much the skin is peeling off a little, as if they were super dry

I read about Howie Mandel getting his hands infected from using so much gel, so I’m going to back off a bit

I know Covid is not easily transmitted by surfaces but I still have this trauma from 2020 and all those videos about disinfecting food and so on (I was a bit of a germophobe before, so…)

There is no logical reason for me to wet my hands after touching my own clothes WHEN I AM AT HOME, but I do it.

I’m probably washing/spraying/using gel on my hands like 20 times a day. More surprised it didn’t happen before tbh :goonsay:

Anyway, just felt like sharing some of my neurotic obsessions, now I’m going to watch The Bubble, a movie about actors filming during the pandemic :buddy:

I wash my hands a fair amount, even at home, and I've been using this glycerin soap for a few years that's pretty good at not leaving weird residue or terrible scents on my hands. It's not super cheap but a bottle can last a few weeks and it doesn't seem to dry my hands out but doesn't leave them feeling greasy like some lotion soaps do.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FU1ZGI0/

I wouldn't use sanitizer at home, the alcohol will dry your skin out. Having your dry skin crack is basically introducing cuts to it so it's not ideal.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tagra posted:

Is swimming super high risk? Like I know anything indoors is, but is a pool noticeably worse than a gym?

My husband's pandemic project has been to train for a triathalon and we have all the equipment at home except the pool, so he was thinking of starting that up this summer. Would suck if that's where the 'vid gets us, lol

In a gym you can wear a mask, but you probably can't in the water unless you're pioneering some new waterproof mask material. You'll also be breathing in and out very hard while swimming so yeah, I'd say it's more of a risk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

satanic splash-back posted:

It's going to be 4+ years from now and part of the population will have self withdrawn forever from public life and normal things like going out to eat for fear of catching a disease they are vaccinated against and that may or may not be serious.

That's pretty funny.

COVID finished what World of Warcraft began.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

satanic splash-back posted:

It's amazing that having the opinion of "life will never go back to 'normal' so you might as well live life right now" is threadshitting or trolling. Covid has wrecked a lot of brains.

I don't think it is threadshitting if you're just doing some activities. It becomes threadshitting when "living life" means not doing even the most basic thing that would stop covid spread like masking in the presence of strangers. That continues the virus spread and makes more variants so this goes on forever and is harmful to everyone. I know people masking up is rare right now but as has been said in the last couple of pages we've had some awful government messaging about it. It'd be the one minor thing everyone could do to help out, and people won't do it. They won't do the bare minimum. It's exhausting and extremely frustrating.

It's doubly frustrating when all the right wing media has spent two years saying masks don't do anything when they do if they're used properly but they never say that. They also say the vaccines don't work because you can still get covid while vaccinated. They don't mention that it drastically increases your survival rate. For some reason Fox, OAN and newsmax want a lot of people to die.

"Gotta live my life" has been an excuse a lot of people make for not being responsible since before covid and it now almost always actually means "do nothing to prevent myself from getting and spreading covid to others." So, folks who are trying to keep safe are now in the extreme minority and everyone who won't do the bare minimum is an rear end in a top hat for not even trying. I think that's why it's thread making GBS threads, everyone should be trying, and if you're not, we're tired of it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rally posted:

That’s not what I meant. This thread is full of crazy outliers who are gonna hole up for life at the cost of their mental health and nobody is gonna tell you all any different though. I wish I hadn’t stumbled in here to be honest but I felt like poo poo for two days and wanted to vent lol.

Serious question here : can someone tell me why we think getting boosters for the original vaccine does anything against new variants? Furthermore if we believe so much in this old outdated vaccine, why not go out and enjoy life a little once you have it? You’re protected right?

Just asking questions, eh?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I went to that 3 day family reunion over the weekend. Lol and behold, my partner gets a message saying someone in the family tested positive. Quelle surprise.

The event started on Fri and ended on Mon, which would make 3-5 days since possible contact. And it was in Cali, which has a pretty high rate of the newer Omicron variants & a shorter incubation period. So, if Wilkins Micawber tested negative yesterday afternoon but her first and only booster in like Nov or something and is now traveling west at 69420 balls/sec, is she going to get covid? Please show your work, partial credit not given

At least you know you've been exposed and can test.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do I need to shave my beard to make the KN95s fit better?

All I can find locally are around the ear ones, which sucks. I guess I gotta get like, "ear saver" straps. I don't feel like I'm getting a great fit with my masks. I think I probably caught the virus from the time I went unmasked in a closed room (I wore a mask until it was my turn to speak but the conference organizers didn't want people wearing a mask during their presentations). But, I don't want this again so I want to do the best I can with the masks available to me.

I shaved for mask wearing in 2020 because it seems like it's a lot harder to get a good seal with facial hair. There may be masks that contend with it better but I doubt KN95s are going to be it and that's what I've mostly been using as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mu Zeta posted:

The last time I was sick was December 2019 when I had a weird dry and persistent cough that was probably covid. I had that cough for 3 days and it all went away. I might be invincible now.

I was really sick with the flu in January 2020 with a bad cough and tiredness and feeling weak with a temperature. It took like 5 days to break the fever and a week to be really over it. It was likely just influenza B which was the big one that flu season, but a lot of people who think they had covid before it really spread have convinced themselves that they had covid because they had a bad case of influenza B.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I just got mine as well. I'm not expecting anything different but we'll see. Last three shots were feverishing feelings for ~20 hours starting 4-6 hours after the shot. I figure I'll be fine Sunday but tomorrow is a toss up. Shout out to the pharmacy employees not masking. Bold choice.

edit: I feel bad already after just a couple of hours. Could be psychosomatic or allergies, but who knows.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 8, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So far the bivalent pfizer has had much reduced side effects. I usually had the bad shivers and feverish symptoms for about a day afterwards but it's been 18 hours and I just feel a little tired. The initial stuff I complained about in my last post was probably allergies since I was in the basement moving dusty stuff before my shots. Only my arms hurt right now, the flu shot in the right hurts less than the bivalent booster in the left. I probably could've had both in the same arm but wanted to compare since I got that hot red skin irritation down one of my arms last year. Haven't seen that this year either.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Maybe, but I don't think the air quality monitor will test the air for covid for you.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, I mean it's not a bad idea to have a lower CO2 rating indoors anyway, it's not good for your brain, I just assumed they were posting in the wrong thread.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lead is endemic now. I'm firing wildly into the air at all times!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Since I'm uninsured, the local CVS let me know that the new covid vaccine isn't free from the government (that program ended in August when the new vaccine was available). It was going to be $190+. I told them I'd get the flu shot which I knew I'd need to pay for, and figure something out for the covid shot, but when they had me come up to get my payment for the flu shot, they said they were going to give me the covid shot for free as well. I don't know what they managed behind the scenes but luckily they got it done. Expecting to feel bad in a few hours for about a day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pingui posted:

I guess they figured out that they are apart of the Bridge Access Program and are in fact still giving out free vaccines from the government to the un- and underinsured.

I guess so. They also got me a coupon to bring the flu shot down to like $50 from 60. I'm glad the first pharmacist I talked to didn't just take payment for $250 or whatever it would've been.