Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Well the good news is that if they got wrecked by Dose 1 they probably already had COVID, and they will have a very robust immune response from 1 COVID + 1 mrna vax!!

Nah, that is not supported by any evidence I'm aware of. The only real bright spot is that at least 1 dose of mRNA vaccine does provide a level of protection against the virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think the hyperfocus on death rates has always been a mistake, and it is especially a mistake when trying to increase vaccine uptake. The number of possible non-fatal negative outcomes is pretty high and pretty disturbing, and I think applying a little more attention to those could help spur more hesitant people to get their drat shots.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

if there are, I'd really like to see them for scientific curiosity. To the best of my knowledge, the only covid deaths counted are the ones that directly die while having the virus, not the ones that die months later from complications; in the US anyhow. It's totally possible that I'm wrong, though

"Long covid" refers to people for whom covid becomes a chronic illness, so mortality doesn't really figure into it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Chronic illnesses kill people all the time.

But that's not what we're talking about here. The whole thread of this discussion is that hyperfocus on mortality rates is bad, so more attention to the non-fatal outcomes of covid is good, which includes cases where it assumes the appearance of a chronic disease. Pointing out that chronic illnesses kill people is just returning to the initial problem of a hyperfocus on mortality.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Okay so when we have about 600,000 dead and Covid is (statistically) sitting on about 10% of average US deaths per day, I don't get why "hyperfocus" on deaths is bad. Dying is bad and we should be trying to avoid it. I dunno why people wouldn't be deeply concerned about so many deaths and a disease that is pretty impressively deadly.

And shouldn't long-term deaths from covid complications count, especially if "long covid" is the long-term version of it? I think that's more my question: are we counting long-term complications from covid/covid damage/long covid as covid or covid-related deaths? or not? And if we're not, why not? People who die from complications due to say, AIDS, tend to get counted in AIDS deaths.

I would very much like the bad dead number to go away completely, but I'm curious and interested in the whys and what lines we're drawing and the whatfors, etc.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think the hyperfocus on death rates has always been a mistake, and it is especially a mistake when trying to increase vaccine uptake. The number of possible non-fatal negative outcomes is pretty high and pretty disturbing, and I think applying a little more attention to those could help spur more hesitant people to get their drat shots.

The context is trying to encourage vaccination. With death rates and percentages you run into people playing percentages and throwing out big numbers, neither of which are things that humans are good at comprehending. Bringing up the significant chance of non-fatal but serious consequences might get some people to get their shot who might otherwise have just kept coasting along with "I'm young and healthy and won't die if I get it."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

It's frustrating to me personally because my grandmother died from post-covid complications (it damaged her liver, pancreas, heart, and brain) but because it was 4 months after her diagnosis and she wasn't positive at the time, it wasn't a direct cause of death. I am wondering how many deaths like that there will be?

At this point situations like that should be caught in the "excess death" calculations, if nowhere else.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fur20 posted:

got #2 and now i have mad tinnitus

it irritates me that the vaccine manufacturers very adamantly refuse to acknowledge that this is a possible side effect even though it's clearly happening to various recipients

e: as for the incidence it's exactly the same as the tinnitus i got from covid (that went away after i recovered) but it bothers me and it makes listening to music, or anything really, very disorienting

I don't know for sure how it works, but there may be a critical threshold for how many or how rigorous the reports need to be for inclusion on the list of side effects. Like, a metallic taste in the mouth is apparently a rare but known side effect that as far as I know doesn't show up on official side effect lists.

https://sports.yahoo.com/people-report-metallic-taste-mouth-164917655.html

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spinz posted:

Wow
I got that after the first shot but not the second!

After my first Moderna shot I got extreme sound sensitivity as a side effect, but thankfully not after the second shot. I'm not sure if that would fall under "headache," but I guess it is technically "hyperacusis." It only lasted for a day or so, but was very unpleasant. I've only had it happen before after concussions or a couple of my most prize-winning hangovers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

That study actually supports what I said earlier: this study cites a 56% reduction in CFR in the best-case, which coupled with the reduced likelihood of infection still does not come anywhere near "one in ten million" odds

What is your basic thesis here? That the vaccines don't provide very good protection after all, or are you trying to push back against people who treat it is a magic complete immunity to covid?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

The latter; basically someone came in to report having to plan a funeral for a dead vaccine-haver and someone else was like "wow their body should be donated to medical science, that's like one in ten million odds!" Meanwhile, some vaccinated people are acting like the pandemic is already over, but that's far from the case. Basically this:

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I don't know, but I think trying to find metaphors might be more helpful than arguing numbers and percentages. Like, the odds of a bad infection might be similar to getting hit by lightning, but you don't grab a lightning rod and go stand out in the middle of a field during a lightning storm, either. People treating the vaccine as a panacea are metaphorically grabbing those lightning rods and running out into the storm.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fur20 posted:

tinnitus mostly cleared up, just like with real covid. im glad of being able to hear music again, as well as the irritating high frequency noises produced by lamps

Glad to hear it. :classiclol:

More seriously, I wonder if the extreme sound sensitivity I had after the first Moderna dose might have been from the same mechanism. I didn't have any tinnitus, but holy hell was my hearing painfully sensitive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So far it looks like my state is not hopping on the CDC bandwagon, but we'll see. I also can't help but wonder if the "masks still required inside businesses if they say so" exception is an attempt to punt some of the regulatory burden (blame) onto corporations, like what happened in Texas and other places that refused mask mandates.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

poll plane variant posted:

In a 6-3 ruling the supreme court has ruled it unconstitutional to mandate any vaccines

Just to be painfully clear, you're making a sarcastically pessimistic joke here, right?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cool, just checking.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

They might be joking but they probably aren’t wrong.

Meh. Despite how the Republican death cult is operating, it still strikes me as a reach that the Supreme Court would void a century or more of established case law to own the libs. During the measles outbreaks a couple years ago I read into the matter (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer) and the ability of individual states to mandate vaccination under the umbrella of public health is pretty robust. Not to mention that employers can mandate these things, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

States maybe it just seems like a pretty large over reach for it to be federally mandated.

Well, yeah, I'm not sure the Feds could effectively mandate vaccine outside international travel or a few other specific areas - I'm pretty sure it falls to the state level, much like mask mandates and lockdown stuff.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mikemil828 posted:

They can certainly mandate it to the military.

Like I said, there are some domains where the Feds would have the authority, but they're specific.

Uuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhh. That last one in particular feels way wrong.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah you are. Specifically this part:

No one loving said that you idiot, you've badly misinterpreted the entire conversation and you're screaming at a strawman you invented

Also that Eric Topol guy you posted is full of poo poo, he hasn't seen the actual test results from the infected players so he's just making guesses

Is he related to "the smoker's tooth polish?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNOdhOa5Fig

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It was advised to avoid taking NSAIDs before vaccination, and that was based on suggestive research involving other vaccinations, if memory serves. It's reasonable advice and I followed it, but there is no indication that treating side effects after the fact is bad. Truth be told I erred on the side of caution and waited for like a day or so afterwards, but that was almost certainly excessive of me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been fully vaccinated since early March and have been out to restaurants a few times, and it's still weird.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

I got my first shot in my non-dominant arm and realized that night it was a big mistake, because that's the side I sleep on. Not doing that again.

I was glad I got both my shots in my dominant arm for this very reason.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

One of the problems in talking about immunity are the fuckwits out there who treat vaccination as some kind of anointment, where covid is simply not a concern anymore and they can lick all the lamp posts they want now and forevermore. Add in the CDC unexpectedly dropping "forget about masks if you're vaccinated" then it makes the whole situation really disturbing. I'm planning to keep wearing masks the same way I was for the indefinite future, but I'm also lucky I live in a place where I am unlikely to have idiots step up on me for doing so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

satanic splash-back posted:

So when the scientists say I can go without a mask because I'm vaccinated, and I follow their scientifically backed opinion, I'm a fuckwit?

Do you wear a face shield with your mask in case someone sneezes in your eyes? Studies show people who wear glasses get covid less often, seems kind of careless to wear one and not the other imo.

The cashier at the grocery store doesn't know if I'm vaccinated. The small restaurant I got takeout from yesterday doesn't know if I'm vaccinated. If wearing a mask makes others around me feel safer then I'm going to do it. I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept, much less something to get angry about.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mikemil828 posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/past-breakthrough-data.html

I suppose 9,245 breakthrough cases total could be considered 'thousands upon thousands', but if we are going to be honest, expecting fully vaccinated folks to curtail their normal lives when only .0001% of them get detectably infected is a really hard ask.

By all means, however that doesn't mean that other vaccinated folks who don't feel the need show solidarity with random strangers are fuckwits.

No, the people who demonstrably treat the vaccination like a magical transformation that means we can drop all safety precautions are. "I got my shot so open 'er up!" is where I'm drawing the fuckwit line. And wearing a mask for the 15 minutes I'm in the grocery store or whatever is not a significant burden.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If the CDC had approached the lifting of mask restrictions in a more measured way this would be much less of a concern. My state has been operating on a predictable weekly cadence for managing restrictions, and it was not a surprise when risk levels would be adjusted up or down. To have the CDC just out of the blue say "Ayyyyy, fuggedabout masks" in the middle of the week with no prep time was terrible and confusing messaging. If they had said the change would be implemented June 1st or something it would have been easier to manage, or even with a week's lead time, but just mic dropping it midweek in the middle of May was jarring.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Purgatory Glory posted:

I could of sworn Israel was like 80 percent months ago. So I looked for a chart and it's probably the same that says they are over 100 percent per 100 people. How does this work?

I think the discrepancy is due to most of the vaccines requiring two doses.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

satanic splash-back posted:

So now if you believe the CDC and follow their guidelines, you're an idiot or ignorant of danger or something?

Yes, clearly that was my last several posts were saying. You caught me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

That describes the U.S. for the past 5 years.

That's charitable.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

They’ve walked this back in the same way they’ve walked everything else back: by making excuses, by blaming others, by playing games with definitions.

They never say “we erred”.

In her interview with Raddatz, Walensky:

Has a moment of celebration for a job well done.

Excuses CDC’s failure to give warning to Congress, state and local health authorities, and institutions as “I told the American people we would deliver the science as soon as we had it”. This is a defense for a rogue information broker like Julian Assange, not a trusted public health authority.

Responds to Raddatz’ prompt of “this is all on the honor system, and there are people who refuse to get vaccinate, about a quarter of the country, and who oppose mask‐wearing, and who could see this as a green light to go wherever they want, putting others at risk, especially in those indoor settings, including children and the immunocompromised” with

If these decisions have to be made on a community level, shouldn’t you have given community leaders advance guidance on how to handle this new information? It demonstrably did not go well. We could blame scores of local leaders around the country for fumbling, or we could look at the one thing they all have in common: CDC gave them a bad throw.

It's really hard to fathom how they hosed it up so badly. Under the Trump administration I learned that my lowest expectations were frequently not low enough, but this was a remarkably clueless announcement. It's seriously one of those "what did they think would happen?" moments.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I want to go back to snippet from Walensky that has been widely quoted. Or has it been misquoted?

That’s my punctation. I believe it is correct, but it could reasonably be punctuated as follows.

Either version patronizes vaccinated persons for not feeling comfortable, but that’s the smaller fry here.

What is she saying? “this is not permission for widespread removal of masks”, period? This is the version the headline editors like, suggesting a walk back.

Or is it the other reading, the one where she maintains the fiction that only the vaccinated are emboldened by the latest from CDC and walks back nothing?

I've been operating under the assumption she is not walking things back, and is content to let the fallout happen at the level of states and businesses. I know around here a lot of stores are keeping their mask requirements in place, but we'll see if that continues. I went to my local Safeway tonight and they still have a big sign up requiring masks, which is well within businesses' purview, but I don't know how much I can expect them to keep with it if people start flogging the CDC guidance as an excuse.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

stellers bae posted:

it feels so good to be vaccinated and not wearing a mask. yes! enjoy life.

Whose rereg are you?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

I don't mean to undermine the importance of containment or vaccination but it's important to note that Covid still has a surprisingly lowish death rate with proper care. Current case fatality rates are under 2%.

So even when a couple dozen people are being total idiots throwing a literal covid party, and they all get it - it's still a coinflip whether anyone actually dies.

This helps explain a lot of the idiocy out there. There are tons of stories of people doing everything wrong, being in a vulnerable group, getting it, and ultimately recovering.

It's a bit like that dumbass you probably know who drove drunk "successfully" a dozen times and thinks it's totally safe - a 2% risk of crashing is really high (several times a year), but 98% of the time things work out ok. People "learn" from that and get really wrong ideas.

An excessive focus on death rates has been part of the problem in getting the virus under control. For a lot of people the odds of dying might be low, but the odds of permanent heart or lung damage, or psychosis, or taste/smell perversion are not well-quantified.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When I saw a bunch of new posts in this thread I do have to say I did not expect a heated 9/11 derail. Well-played, thread, well-played.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

J posted:

I work for a small business that recently announced that anyone who provides proof of vaccination to HR will be allowed to go maskless in our offices. Overall the company and all my coworkers have taken covid very seriously, everyone has been masked, maintained distance including re-arranging of certain spaces to allow for distance, allowing remote work for those who had jobs where it was possible, etc. I'm vaccinated and will still be working mostly remotely, but when I do go into the office I'm not gonna be sure what to do. On one hand, I still want to wear a mask, on the other hand I don't want others around me to have to worry about me potentially being unvaccinated, or an anti-vaxxer because I'm still wearing a mask. Anyone else in a similar position and if so how are you handling it?

That's the awkward thing about deciding to stick with masking up, and I wish there was an easy way to let people know I am vaccinated.

At this point I am planning to keep wearing a mask not for me, but for other people. I'm not a risk, and I don't feel at risk, but people like the cashiers and restaurant staff don't know that. If I can make them feel more comfortable then the tiny discomfort of wearing my very nice mask is a very small price to pay.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Please don’t wear a cloth mask for personal protection.

Mine is a cloth mask with replaceable N95 filters inside, so it's actually some level of protection. It's a bit moot since I'm fully vaccinated, but I've been sticking with the filters anyway.

That reminds me, I should order more just to have more in stock. If wildfires are bad this year I'm going to deploy my masks for that, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s kind of frustrating how many places are focusing on stuff like deep cleaning even though it’s basically useless. I guess it’s nice and viable though so it makes people feel better.

If places are doing the deep cleaning instead of actually helpful covid-preventative stuff like dealing with ventilation then yeah, it's frustrating. But I hope they keep up with sanitizing more because it does help with OTHER pathogens. I was attuned to surface transmission way before the pandemic, like always disinfecting grocery cart handles before use, and viewing doorknobs as an existential threat. Even if surface transmission is not really a thing with covid it is with other illnesses, and I'd like to see some of that focus on making surfaces less gross continue.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

To an extent, the flu is like ~4 percent fomite spread. The masks helped a lot more. I’m not averse to cleaning stuff but there’s a hyper focus on it and fomite spread in general (see that post about the IDs for the library) that I don’t like.

I totally agree it should be within reason, and overkill is not helpful. But seeing an overall improvement compared to the beforetimes would be welcome. I read studies about the stuff they found on grocery cart handles and it galvanized me to always disinfect them, and I take a similar approach with other things handled by others.

My own situation is complicated by the fact I have a pretty reactive eczema, so using alcohol-based hand sanitizer is not really possible for me. Well, unless I want to get weeping hives all over my hands. The soap in a lot of public restrooms is the same kind of gamble. It's much easier for me to use sanitizing cloths and avoid touching things, and the surface cleaning helps.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Once a week they roll through and spray all the common areas (halls, laundry rooms, mail room, etc.) with vaporized hydrogen peroxide, I think? They've been doing it once a week for a year. Thanks, but I'd rather see HEPA filters, eh? Have you done anything at all to improve the ventilation in those common areas? No?

It started around May last year, and seemed really encouraging at first. But the more we learn about Covid the more it seems like sanitation theater. Money that could be better spent moderating airborne issues rather than focusing on fomites.

Hydrogen peroxide is one of those things I get annoyed about, because for the most part that is sanitizing theater. It DOES work to disinfect, if you leave it on a hard surface for a period of time, from memory I think around 20 minutes. It does NOT work for disinfecting cuts and such, and is actually more likely to cause minor surface irritation than anything else. But the bubbles make it seem like it's doing something.

That's going by memory, but I'm pretty confident the way most people use hydrogen peroxide is due to the continuation of old-wives-tale level misinformation.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Super deep cleans is definitely excessive. What I'd like to see is the normalization of stuff like having separate clean/used pens for paperwork, disinfecting of things multiple people touch/handle (clipboards, doorknobs, punch pads), and more availability of non-alcohol disinfecting wipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I would argue please deep clean more, all the deep cleaning. We have this 24 hour sickness bug in the UK that kids are particularly susceptible to, and can repeatedly get, and our special needs school has to be shut down and deep cleaned over and over again because that’s the only guaranteed way of getting rid of it.

I would really really like a side effect of this coronavirus be that this particular bug is wiped out.

Fair enough. Here in the US I'm kind of used to seeing "Genericville's Schools Closed Due To Rotavirus Outbreak" or things like that. It's usually something people colloquially refer to as "stomach flu," and is vomiting and diarrhea from rotavirus, norovirus, and things like that. I think I have the virus names at least close to right, but in any case it is frequent outbreaks of mild illnesses which could be better prevented.