Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Facebook Aunt posted:

What's up with Russia? They had that Sputnik vaccine approved ages ago and they are still only at 11%. I thought for sure Russia and China would be doing victory laps by now. Did all those covid doctors falling out windows put people off?

A. Russia hid a lot of deaths so maybe the population doesn't take it as seriously.
B. I'd imagine Russia is more interested in selling the vaccine at top dollar to other countries than saving their people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

pro starcraft loser posted:

Is it safe to assume whatever manufacturing and logistic capability the US has for the vaccines will stay redlined throughout the summer to get as much out to other countries as we can?

Seems like in a month basically anyone who wants a vaccine here should be able to have had one.

The U.S. doesn't make vaccines. For profit companies like Pfizer do and yes they are manufacturing as many as they possibly can. I think moderna said they will make 3B doses in 2022.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Vorik posted:

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1400063091245731843?s=20

Looks like the masks off mandate was pretty on the mark.

Also we're at 52% fully vaccinated today.

It is possible though that it would have fallen even steeper with the mask mandate in place. We''ll never know.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Novavax came out with stellar US data and they will apply sometime in the 3rd quarter so there should be a 4th vaccine coming. It's not adenovirus or MRNA so some holdouts might opt for it. It can be stored at room temp and seems to have much less side affects than the others. So could be the top choice for boosters. It's also much smaller than the others so they can fit a bunch of booster strains into one shot. And they hope to combine it with their flu vaccine.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The time I hit 106 I felt surprisingly okay - I mean, I knew I had a fever, but I have felt way worse with lower temperatures. I went to the emergency room for that one, and they put me on a saline drip and covered me in damp towels and pointed fans at me to bring my body temperature down. It sucked. After a few hours my temperature came down and the ER doc said that he'd usually admit me for observation for a fever that high but I seemed pretty okay so he discharged me - for whatever reason I tolerated a dangerously high fever well, which has made me pay more attention and break out the thermometer more readily since then. I don't like the idea I could just feel a bit crappy while my brain cooks itself.

We brought our daugther to the ER the other day since she was showing over 104 temp and had trouble breathing. But the doc said fever is not dangerous until 108 and that's super rare.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

that's some impressively lovely advice from a doctor. I'm sorry. Is kiddo feelin' better?

She is a bit better although today is day 6 with a fever. She tested positive for RSV although she may have had that a month ago. Basically she was in isolation for a year and then went to preschool and got sick within 4 days. I guess her immune system wasn't ready.

We are giving suppositories because she just refuses any medication. They tried to force some down her throat and the nurses said she was probably the best they've ever seen at resisting.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Day 6 with a fever, holy hell. My heart goes out to you and your girl, that would be so difficult to deal with.

it is, especially since I've been sick from the same thing but no puking or fever thankfully.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Curevac just came out with weak Phase 3 data. This literally means many many more deaths will occur.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Novovax's biggest problems isn't production and delivery, it's that their trials started later and have taken longer so it's not actually approved for use anywhere yet.

No, it's production and getting everything proper. Moderna and Pfizer got approved within a few weeks of their trials ending. Novavax UK trial ended a long time ago and US trial had final data in May.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Schmeichy posted:

I think the last estimate I saw was winter, and if Pfizer and moderna feel confident submitting their preliminary data, it'll probably get emergency authorized like the adult versions.

October

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
my daughter is 3 and in preschool. Masks recommended but we don't have her wearing one. Why, well most kids aren't wearing them so she really won't be protected and they don't distance at that age. In addition, they take the mask off to eat and to sleep which is probably like 3+ hours a day so really if a kid has covid the partial mask wearing aint gonna do crap.

Considering pulling her from school until she's vaccinated but that has its downsides of course. She gets her vitamin d drops daily and is vaccinated against other illnesses so hopefully her immune system will have no problem. She's been sick 6 times since she started school in April or so but now she's been good for weeks...

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

J&J / Jaaaaaaansen continues to be the K-mart version of vaccine providers in the US

JnJ had a 2 dose trial (spaced 3 or 4 weeks apart) and still haven't released the results.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Is this a different coconut oil study? Looks like it does help covid although it wasn't a blind study. Virgin Coconut oil has a lot of great properties so it shouldn't be a surprise that it can help. It also makes a great mouthwash, i think it's better than listerine.

This study evaluated the effects of VCO given to suspect and probable cases of COVID-19 in isolation facilities. Overall, the VCO group showed more rapid relief from symptoms of COVID-19 and a significant higher reduction in mean CRP levels compared to the Control group after 28 days. These results are consistent with the anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties of VCO metabolites as reported in both in vitro and animal studies, bolstering the therapeutic benefit of supplements such as VCO. The results of this study contrast with the findings of a recently published study which found no benefit with high doses of zinc, ascorbic acid, and a combination of these two supplements against COVID-19 compared with usual care (Thomas, Patel, & Bittel, 2021).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8142857/

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 16, 2021

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Klyith posted:

Airplane travel Wednesday coming back from seeing my family for the first time in 2 years. Breakthrough symptoms started last night. Haven't got a pcr test yet but come on what else can it be.

I've been sick like 6 times since getting my covid shot. None were covid to the best of my knowledge.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

stellers bae posted:

Is it a bannable offense to say you're not vaccinated and haven't gotten sick despite taking zero precautions?

That describes alot of the 2000 people dying daily lately in the U.S. They were fine until a few weeks ago.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
When Novavax is approved it really should be a gamechanger. They've been approved in Indonesia with more coming soon it looks like. US will probably be the last to approve as they haven't submitted final documents yet but will in the next few weeks or so. I'm guessing January or February americans will be able to get Novavax. It's not MRNA or adenovirus and seems to be much better tolerated as the antigen dose I believe is about 1/20th of the MRNAs. A lot of people who were against the MRNA will end up getting it.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Akuma posted:

My daughter tested positive for covid almost two weeks ago after I noticed she said something tasted weird. The past couple of days her sense of smell has been deteriorating and as of today it's completely gone - yet she was cleared to go back to school yesterday.

Is that normal? Is that safe? If her symptoms are still progressing? And it wasn't just her that got it, it was the rest of my household (but not me) and after testing positive they were told to isolate for 10 days and then not take any more tests for 90 (I think? Maybe 60?) days.

That seems bananas to me. I've been getting them all to take lateral flow tests anyway and through last week they got fainter and fainter on the test strips and by last Friday they were all clear.

I'm a dummy and I don't get firstly why you wouldn't test for 3 months and secondly why my daughters symptoms are still progressing but she's fine to be around people AND ALSO not test?

You're only contagious for 10 days, even if you're still sick. But you can test positive for months. Testing after a positive test is pointless.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Got moderna booster friday and still feel crappy.

Hoping for Novavax to be approved by February and will definitely switch over to it for my next booster...

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Variants don't require the same level of trials that the original vaccine did. Just a small trial to test it.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
For the 2nd time my 3 year olds preschool class will be closed for 2 weeks due to a positive covid case. BOTH times, the child with Covid was in class when the results came in. WTF.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Zwabu posted:

Honestly, Contagion is really on the nose, and I think it's a good movie as well. Covers most things including panic buying/hoarding, snake oil quackery, people with power/influence abusing their position etc.

The one thing Soderbergh completely missed is a significant portion of Americans (and people in other countries) actually going antivax.

It's not much of a movie though. It's almost more like a documentary and kind of lame. But it does get a lot of things right that I wouldn't have known at the time it came out.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Novavax approved now in Indonesia, Phillipines, WHO countries (67 I believe) and the EU.

UK, Australia coming very soon. Canada maybe too. US possibly in January, but February more likely. Around 40% of people in Germany who didn't get vaxed yet said they would be open to a protein based vaccine like Novavax. Appears to be better tolerated as well.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Hooray for me I probably have Omicron! :) My parents brought over a couple friends of theirs and the guy was coughing and sniffling and this now makes four times I've had COVID!

You can't guess. My daughter started preschool in May and I've been sick no joke 10 different times. None were covid that I know of.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Riptor posted:

are there any studies anywhere about previous infection+double vaccination+booster against omicron? I imagine that's probably the best off you can be, but I'm curious if it's any significantly better than double vaxx+booster

infection+double vax+infection+booster+infection should be your current goal.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Pinecone Sample posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1476330805400064007

I feel like "good" is pretty objective when I know people who were in line for over four hours today, so perhaps it's more about a populace that is actually motivated to be tested than anything, but this is an important thing to observe

Last month Gottlieb said the pandemic will be over in January. Only 2 more days till it's over!

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Zugzwang posted:

Weird how the guy on Pfizer’s board thinks vaccine mandates will solve this.

he was jazzed about the pfizer antiviral pill.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I still have the chills and sore throat, plus the secondary organ problems (in my case, pink eye and lactose intolerance during covid infection only).

I console myself that at least I'm not the guy who was on a ventilator for 6 months and had to relearn how to walk. I vaguely recall an article about a lady in the UK who had had covid for 100 days and kept failing her covid tests, from 2020.

You can test positive for months but you're only contagious for 10 days max.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

gay picnic defence posted:

Is that saying that a kid aged 0-4 has a 50-60% chance of being sick enough from omicron to require a stay in hospital?

No, I heard in NY they showed it was 1 out of 100,000 for kids to be hospitalized with omicron.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

No, I heard in NY they showed it was 1 out of 100,000 for kids to be hospitalized with omicron.

from NY times:

More than four in 100,000 children aged 4 years or younger admitted to hospitals were infected with the coronavirus as of Jan. 1 — double the rate reported a month ago, and about three times the rate this time last year.

By contrast, the rate of hospitalized children aged 5 through 11 years who were infected was 0.6 per 100,000, roughly the same rate seen over the past months.

Children infected with the variant are still at much less risk of becoming severely ill than adults, and even young children seem less likely to need ventilators than those admitted during previous surges, experts said.

“We have not yet seen a signal that there is any increased severity in this age demographic,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the C.D.C.’s director, told reporters at a news briefing on Friday.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Is that saying that a kid aged 0-4 has a 50-60% chance of being sick enough from omicron to require a stay in hospital?

Is says the INCREASE in hospitalizations. So if it goes from 2 out of 100,000 to 4 out of 100,000 that's a 100% increase.

Paul

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Yeah there's a lot who bought into the whole 'experimental gene therapy' thing who are happy (apparently) to get this one because it's just a protein.

Of course it was also attractive to a bunch of people who felt they could justify their unvaccinated status by saying they weren't anti-vax as such, they were just waiting for the one that was possibly never going to arrive.

It also reportedly has less side effects. My 2nd and 3rd moderna shots killed me so I'm hoping this is easier on me.

And, it doesn't need ultra cold storage which is a problem in many countries.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

We were just informed that my step-daughter was in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 on Sunday. Right now she has a fever and sore throat. It's mild enough that we do not qualify to get tested, and have been advised to assume we have it and self-isolate. Really though, the writing is on the wall.

I'm scared for my 4-year-old, who is not old enough to be inoculated, and whose age group has had a disproportionate increase in cases from Omicron. I'm angry, because I'm way behind at work and really don't have time for this. I'm...tired and defeated, because I was really careful and took as few chances as I could. I've been wearing N95's, eye protection, minimizing contact as much as I possibly can, I didn't even visit my dying grandparents for 6 months because our region had a high case rate. I've had fights with my ex-wife, because I refused to take the kids to their dance competition at the end of the month, as case numbers were exploding.

Most of all I'm just exhausted. I've been obsessively checking COVID-19 data, following reputable health advice, and trying to make sure we're managing our risk appropriately. I was at least hoping I could keep us from being infected until May, when my youngest turns 5 and we can relax a little once he's inoculated. But now he's going to get it without any protection.

I hate all of this. I just loving hate it. :smith:

Try not worry about things you can't change. It doesn't help. My daughter is almost 4 so I'm in a similar situation. Assess the situation, take precautions but if you're wondering what if all the time it will kill you.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Charliegrs posted:

I'm confused about something. I tend to look at the Washington Post covid tracker every day and for today it says the weekly new covid cases are down 33% with the 7 day average at 438,459. However deaths are up 15% and the 7 day average is 2588. So is this maybe because there's going to be a lag time between cases dropping and deaths dropping since I guess people are usually going to be in the hospital for a while until they finally succumb?

There's also a delay in the reporting of deaths. So if someone got infected a month ago, and died 2 weeks ago, it might not be official until today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Charliegrs posted:

All of Fox News on 9/11: "3000 DEAD AMERICANS! WE MUST NUKE THE ENTIRE MIDDLE EAST!"

Fox news wasn't too bad until Obama became president.