Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Another Bill posted:

Jesus what's the age of majority in your province?

It's Alberta. Alberta is......special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Who has a neighbor in a condo building full of geriatrics who just tested positive for Covid since she couldn't be assed to follow health directives and had her family over every single day and the guy is only one week into dose 1, and just found out she tested for the Kent variant???? And once she found she was positive changed absolutely nothing and was witnesses bringing in her groceries maskless?

<----- This guy. loving ACES.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Sjs00 posted:

T minus 24 hours for me people. Lets do this

103 days until my 2nd dose! :canada:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Another Bill posted:

It's probably going to be a lot sooner fwiw. Canada was dry on supply most of the spring but we're supposed to have 50 million doses for 30 million eligible people by the end of June and the deliveries will just keep rolling. It's not going to be the full 4 months, especially if the USA lifts their export ban which as expected once the surplus doses start piling up.

Yup, that's the hope. The vaccine hesitancy is also a full 15% below the United States though(excluding Alberta aka America North), which is a great thing, but also means more people lined up for the jabs....either way, the faster, the better.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

A few weeks ago we were vying for top spot of worst Covid rates in North America, now we expect to be completely open by July. Our rates have dropped dramatically, from over 2000 cases a day to around 400, and we're at about 50% of the population vaccinated with their first shot, but we also have a lot of people in hospital and a half dozen deaths a day still. But July is Calgary Stampede, so dkfkgkglsaajklllgkfkdk *fart*

I do actually feel hope this things are actually getting better now, but I'm concerned they'll push too hard too soon for "normal". The thresholds for reopening are pretty reasonable for once, but there's always the chance they'll change their minds on what's safe to make themselves look good in the eyes of their voter base, especially with other political issues going on right now.

That's only because Manitoba went "let me show you how the west PROPERLY fucks up a Covid response."

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Quebec just moved up 2nd doses to 8 weeks from the original 16 and 75% of the 18+ population has already got the first dose done

:rms:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I’m curious about the psychological effect of forcing small children to wear masks.

Anecdotal but my kid didn't give a flying gently caress.

Kids understand better than some adults the necessity of things sometimes

stab
Feb 12, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

Has anyone recently had any luck convincing vaccine-hesitant people to get the jab?

75% of my wife's family refuses to get it and we're both getting really nervous about what that means for them as PA is now pretty much completely opened up. My BiL is a huge Trump supporter that's currently torpedoing his entire life so I figure he's a lost cause, but I'd like to be a little more comfortable knowing my in-laws might make it through this fall without (at least) a week's stay in the hospital or permanent damage to their lungs and heart.

Should I just consider it useless at this point or does anyone have advice that's worked for them?

Had some vaccine hesitant family members. Luckily we always have a family retreat. Basically vaccinated family members told the hesitant "no vaccine=no invite." After grumblings about MAH FREEDOMS, they got the jab when they realized the family was serious about keeping them at home.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

sharknado slashfic posted:

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1409955273465344004?s=20

I don't think we have (known) Delta yet so we'll see if that changes things

*anti-vaxx mouthbreathers*

Hmm why isn't it 100%?

See?!?!?! VACCINES DONT WORK!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://montrealgazette.com/news/lo...ort-fall-july-8

Oh ho ho MAH FREEDOMS R gone

(basically if theres an outbreak, instead of locking non essential stuff down like restaurants, concerts etc., Quebec will just shut it down /refuse the non vaccinated)

Lol owned

Yes, the unvaccinated are pulling an absolute shitfit funny you'd ask

This also applies to tourists so the Boston frat bros that come up to get shitfaced at 18 also need their 2 shots

stab fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 8, 2021

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Get the tiny Fifa car to deliver the medals

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It isn't

Just look to South America or England, or Spain, probably India although I don't follow them closely

The US is just being regular dumb but with the advantage of being the richest country on earth

(I don't really bother checking China or Russia or Cuba news because who the gently caress is going to believe them, Cuba says they're doing perfect and they got an amazing vaccine now when their pharmacies don't have aspirin)

Not to be a Cuba stan, but if there's one thing that country actually does right, it's healthcare (in comparison to other countries of its ilk)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

God drat lol

They Knighted this bell-end lmao

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Another Bill posted:

And yet CHUDs are still pushing the #TrudeauVaccineFail hashtag lol

The brokebrains (thankfully a much smaller minority than in the USA) would sweep the Olympics for Canada with the amount of mental gymnastics they do to continue arguing the diminishing list of fake reasons to not get vaccinated imo

stab
Feb 12, 2003

vandalism posted:

I am not anti vaccine. I am vaccinated from birth. If I had kids, they would have been as well. I am not even anti covid vaccine, assuming a person falls under the correct parameters to receive an emergency vaccine with no long-term testing.

People who have underlying conditions should definitely have the option to get the covid vaccine. There should definitely be an option for everyone to have it.

I am grossly concerned with the entire population being pressured into taking an emergency vaccine that they may or may not really need or benefit from. People who have already had covid might not need it. Some vaccinated people have side effects from the vaccine that haven't gone away.

Sure, they may have gotten some lasting side effects from covid... but then again they may not have. They may not have even gotten covid.

The point that I am making is that the vaccine is not a one-size fits all solution. Other possibly helpful solutions such as ivermectin are being buried because it is cheap, generic, and can't make the big pharma companies a shitload of money.

Next time you think pharmaceutical companies have your best interest in mind, remember that bayer sold hiv infected medication to third world countries because they knew that they could get away with it.

Your helpful solution is a loving dewormer medication

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/YourAlberta/status/1420440416512471042?s=19

Basically Alberta is abandoning any type of measure to curb Covid 19

Sorry Alberta goons you're hosed.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/LaurenPelley/status/1420505702175551490?s=19

Lol everybody in Alberta is going to die

stab
Feb 12, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1420852746966741007?s=20

Biden mandating the vaccine for all Americans would be the wildest possible move.

I'm down for America Civil War 2: Virus Boogaloo

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Yes, absolutely you should drink bleach the entire time you are there, to ensure immunity do not do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9psFtbw4Gg

stab
Feb 12, 2003

blight rhino posted:

thanks, folks. I've got acquaintances, and some right-wing extended family, that are refusing the science. Just trying to get all the facts.

And, jesus, they've skipped to lambda? That's a new variant that hasn't hit the US, yet? Did I read that right?

It's the dominant strain of Peru, yes. Looks to be a bit weaker than Delta fwiw.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Stink Billyums posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1422699807228022788

dexter actually has a phd in molecular biology so I can see why he'd kick a guy out of the band over it

Not pretty fly for an unvaxxed guy

stab
Feb 12, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

no. covid numbers have been very low and vaccine uptake is very high compared to america. would always like it to be higher (90%+ rather than ~80%), but as usual with canada, i find it hard to complain about our problems when comparing to the rest of the world.

no guarantees about the future tho lol, we thought we had it pretty well whipped last august too. that was pre-vaccine tbf

Quebec's numbers are up 250% in 2 weeks.

But its relative to the shitshow in the USA.

The 4th wave is coming, but it's 2-3 weeks behind the states, and even at it's worst will be better than the states, but in no way is it "under control."

stab
Feb 12, 2003

compshateme85 posted:

A friend just posted on FB that his brother is having a heart attack and he can't get the medical care he needs because the hospital is overflowing with covid patients. This is in Phoenix. I hadn't heard anything about hospitals hitting capacity, can anyone there shed some light?

I could have sworn most hospitals in third world hell holes are stretched to capacity during Covid surges?

Edit: please dont take the third world thing seriously

stab
Feb 12, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

If I understand correctly the intention of Quebecs vaccine passport will be able to allow fully vaxed people to go to gyms, movies, restaurants and other non-essential activities not for travelling outside of the country.

That's exactly it. It will have no bearing on travel.

And the quebec anti-vaxxers are pissed

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Wendigee posted:

The Quebecois snootiness makes me think that there are a lot of antivaxxers there. Am I wrong?

There's champions everywhere. However quebec does have over 80% of the eligible population with at least one dose fwiw

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/Global_Montreal/status/1425150486487961604?s=19

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-b...ion-sector.html

And so it begins....(mandatory vaccination in certain sectors)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

There’s no doubt in my mind that the Trump administration would be fast‐tracking vaccines for kids.

Yeah it would be horrible political interference that would be corrosive to America’s most cherished institutions, but it would be happening.

Lol wut

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Solvent posted:

Do it for everyone else if you won’t do it for yourself.

You'd be thrilled to know how little that argument holds weight with the anti-vaxx crowd :(

stab
Feb 12, 2003

My fav is the quebec chuds bitching about the vaccine passport and demanding gyms refund their gym memberships since they're not allowed in to them anymore

Gotta get SWOLE before covid makes my lungs swollen i guess

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Ccs posted:

I downloaded the vaccine passport app today and am very much looking forward to sitting on a patio of a restaurant where everyone is vaxxed come September and the passport’s enforcement.

2nd close fav:

I'M GOING TO BOYCOTT!!!!

:eng101: actually sir you're not allowed in so you can't boycott

stab
Feb 12, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I fuckin hate Kuh-bec...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaekWUI6LrM

(everything I know about Canada comes from that show, is there a large anti-vaccine subset in Kwee-bec specifically?)

Actually has the highest % of eligible vaxxed in Canada actually. (Over 82% last time I checked)

The subset of chuds resides in the land of America North (Alberta and Saskatchewan)

But chuds live everywhere, and chuds are dumb.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

God those are numbers any of the US states can only dream of...

quick edit except maybe Hawaii I think, last I saw they were 70%+

3rd fav: when the 18% chuds yell at Legault (the premier) saying to count his days since HE WILL LOSE THE ELECTION!!!!111

Not understanding statistics that 18% for a Premier with popularity ratings in the 70's AND already have a parliamentary majority.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Stickman posted:

On the flip side, if you have uncontrolled spread of Delta then a shutdown will help control it while a vax passport system will not and will probably just contribute to breakthrough transmissions.

E: Unless it means that unvaccinated people will be prevented from doing things they can currently do?

Unvaccinated people will be barred from doing anything deemed non-essential in Quebec.

No concerts, no gyms, no restaurants, no festivals etc.

Basically they can go to parks and go shopping for essentials. That's it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. I maintain that mandates with actual teeth, like this, will move most of the unvaxxed in the U.S. into the vaxxed column. It's easy to be a contrarian rear end in a top hat when it doesn't actually cost you anything other than increased risk of Covid which you don't really believe in anyway.

The percentage of people who will be willing to stay unvaxxed when it means they can't be employed or go to a restaurant is a lot smaller than those who are currently unvaxxed.

Also if you get caught falsifying or using somebody elses vax info you will receive a fine of up to 20000$ and be charged under the Criminal code with actual jail time.

Quebec isn't loving around.

stab fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 26, 2021

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

https://twitter.com/jake_zuckerman/status/1432298581793378304?s=19

The hospital should chuck a tube of horse paste at him then discharge his rear end.

How in the gently caress is a judge making a court decision against cdc guidance legal in any way? (Not American just needing to know how hosed this is)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

E: this one is pretty hosed up as well, family gets slammed by covid (the father was in the ICU for 63 days and died) because another family let their kid go on playdates even though the rest of them were covid positive
https://twitter.com/AnniAless/status/1438420854065487874

Murder charges when

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/police-quebec-seek-man-punching-nurse-over-wifes-covid-19-shot-2021-09-22/

So when does the world stop tolerating the anti vaxx lunacy and start throwing em in the pokie (when they cross the proverbial line of course)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1465076600836345860?t=zK6FYE-wsA294K1PuXCBGA&s=19

I am so totally shocked guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Lockdowns off the table is dumb but tbh any travel ban other than "everything" is probably pretty pointless so either do that or don't bother. This new variant has already low-key spread everywhere.

Like Canada announced a travel ban on a number of African countries in response and whoops the next day it turns out we already have two cases here traced to a traveller from a country not on the list.

3 cases now and it's all from a country (Nigeria) that's not even on the ban list. :cmon: