Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

Note that I don't have a plan to go with this or something I just want it to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

im going to be mad if you guys blurt stuff out before understanding what you're talking about. some stuff should not be said in thread

I've been staying silent, because I just can't wait to see where this goes, but like

You brought it up

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Day 2 is going to be great

Steak I wait warmly for your follow-up day post

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Sandwolf posted:

But Jesus Christ did the lot of you come in here ready to play around every possible role here?

Were any of you so fixated on one specific investigatory role that you hammered as soon as possible in order to claim a specific position?

1) Why not? They've all been posted except the mystery roles

2) I have been prepared to take memories of murder into account since before the game started, so I don't see why others wouldn't do that as well (this is a shady way to do it, but steak literally claimed it and pointed out that he was interacting with it in-thread, meaning he must intend to explain this)

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

Unfortunately, something potentially role-related is happening with Mr. Steak and I want to be cautious about forcing him to reveal anything that could hint at role information right now.

He did it himself with no... well, technically with minimal prompting

I mean it's not even the day yet, it's not like we can force his hand

Ultimately we probably shouldn't be too direct until Day 2, but like, steak is clearly gambiting here by actively claiming this at all

I just can't wait to find out to what end!

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Sandwolf posted:

gently caress this you’re not even trying, none of this is an argument that Toal is scum

Perhaps steak is extending his Day 1 strategy of not (necessarily) voting people he thinks are scum

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Sandwolf posted:

What do YOU, the town, think we should do?

Well I the town want steak to explain why he hammered and then started dancing around and pointing at the fact that he did it

And then told people to stop paying so much attention but like the first part is what I'm waiting for

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Is it better if I ask, like, what did you expect to happen? Because it seems like you didn't get quote the reaction you wanted

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

i will not comment on my solus vote any more unless im at risk of dying

I only care about why you went out of your way to point it out tbh, not the vote itself, if that changes anything, but ok

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

sandnavyguy posted:

In fact before my vote on Solus, when everything bacame fairly stagnant with vig discussion you were still on the fence, doubtful, but definitely not saying how terrible it was:

I don't read the quoted post as on the fence at all, myself

I looked at VF and a few retrospective thoughts came to mind:

-The Solus and Keane votes were the ones that dueled the hardest, with the information we have now Keane's looks heavily town-driven and I think it's probably worth another look
-I've been uneasily neutral on D1 dark horse grandi recently, but that could sour quickly, and in general on D1 I would have voted Grandi over Keane
-basically I feel like at least one D1 vote was correcr, but I'm uncertain which (sng is also a D1 vote)
-I did a double take when the oa bracket said Steak and Sandwolf for Day 1 too, is there a reason why those two in particular seem to be much more on it with oa than the average? Meta familiarity???
-oa was also on sng before too! Mafia is a flat circle

But what of the here and now?

-steak is handling this basically as scummily as possible, but I personally think we currently have more interesting options available to us, we can handle a steak if it comes to that
-if I could choose anyone to send to lurker court I would choose Philip J. Fry
-I am literally falling asleep as I write this aaaaaa
-I am still not against a dy vote
-ilmucche's posting has always felt like half a step out of sync with the rest of the thread, is that normal for ilmucche?

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

CCKeane posted:

Why dy. Now? You made a big post about other posters, has anything strengthened or weakened your thoughts on dy.?

I didn't like dy's night that much, although I sorta get parts of it. Like given steaks handling, steak has hidden information (or is trying to appear to have hidden information) that is greatly influencing his decisions and should not be revealed to town. So, it is possible that steak is a town role who should not share his details, dy not wanting too much discussion is right in that case. Thing is that there is also a ton of reasons steak could have done that with 0 information and that would be fine to share, and one of the secret ones is being scum, so I felt like it would have been at least useful to get an explanation Day 2 which dy didn't even want during the night, it was all just "oh don't share information guys"

I don't need anything further from steak at this time, mind, because steak has functionally claimed that he has key hidden information and thus is either a relevant role or scum, but that didn't fully happen until today

Also I guess steak and I probably see it differently but from the way that I think, the move only makes sense if steak is scum or if steak isn't actually a strong role and is just gambiting heavily

dy. posted:

- Why does SalTheBard have like literally one game-related post that isn't him explaining why he's not posting or promising to post more?

Sal hasn't even cast a vote yet, so I sure hope that happens today

dy. posted:

Hal - the only mention I see of Solus from you is a post where you are defending his shot. What's the deal? Can you explain the mentality behind your switch?

I will be real: I am constantly forgetting that Hal is a player in this game and not a mod

Would not want to see Hal sent to lurker court though, Sal I would but only if Sal continues to be a non-factor today

In any case...

dy. posted:

Steak supposedly has :airquote: reasons for the hammer, so let's leave him out of this for now, his reasons I am less interested in anyway and I think his posting speaks for itself.

It really seems like you have very consistently thought Steak was scum, from Day 1 through to today. Do you have any insight, then, as to why you were SO against steak being pressured, not just during the night but also during the following day? Do you want us to just vote him and not pressure him? I do hope you realize that that isn't actually a better option if he's town

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

Mr. Steak is still my #1 for today. Very comfortable with where my vote is. I don't really have the time and energy to make a real case, right now and I don't even know what I would point to, but I'm really surprised no one else seems to notice his posting. It seems incoherent and like scum just constantly hopping around. I'm not willing to dismiss that based on meta yet.

dy. posted:

I have not been quiet about the fact that I think Mr. Steak's general posting is scummy as hell.

dy. posted:

Coming from a place of giving Steak the benefit of the doubt here: you are not thinking this through enough.

dy. posted:

Unfortunately, something potentially role-related is happening with Mr. Steak and I want to be cautious about forcing him to reveal anything that could hint at role information right now. I think you should be too, and maybe like, understand that there are reasons to conceal information as town.

dy. posted:

- How does Mr Steak get away with posting like he does? Everyone seems to acknowledge that it's a scummy way to play, but just says "oh lol that's just Mr Steak." I legit want to know how you guys ever expect to execute him in a game where he is scum.

dy. posted:

Steak supposedly has :airquote: reasons for the hammer, so let's leave him out of this for now, his reasons I am less interested in anyway and I think his posting speaks for itself.

What is this progression

"Steak is clearly scum"
"HOLD ON, WE MUSTN'T PUSH TOWN STEAK!"
"Steak is scum and that is self-evident, psssshht how do you clowns ever expect to find scum"

idk maybe by pushing steak??????

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

##vote dy

I'm just getting frustrated with dy's chicanery at this point

dy's one big case is steak, right? so then dy wards sandwolf off when sandwolf tries to question steak, then goes back to passively going "steak is scum, I can't believe we're letting him get away with this!", then goes "goodness I could never vote steak unless someone else does first", then complains that he isn't being given the benefit of the doubt, which is what he "gave steak" back in that moment where he decided that his one big massive scumpick shouldn't be pressed for information at all, and then even more has happened since I started drafting this post, there's toal shade for some reason, I just, I don't even know what dy would consider an acceptable reaction to someone being scummy. Don't ask them questions because they might be town, but also definitely vote them because they're definitely scum, but only do it if you're gathering up a group for a push because heaven forfend any individual including dy put pressure on the person dy thinks is the scummiest

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

It's not my highest priority but I'm fine with the ilmucche vote

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Sandwolf posted:

mucche, SNG, and I are the masonry

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHICH ONE OF YOU CUT ME OUT

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

sandnavyguy posted:

Toal appears and begins a push on Keane and the convo about OA stops.

you, Fry, come in to say that it’s not low hanging fruit in response to dy. And the convo trails off again

several less active accounts such as random popping in and shifting the thread to mucche instead and quickly gaining votes despite having very little material.

ilmucche has been posting weird all game, it's why I asked before if it's mucche meta or something. Do you disagree? Are we missing masonry context inthread?

Regardless of that though, you're accusing quite a large number of people here. Do you believe that you have uncovered the entire scumteam? Do you believe that some of these interventions are more likely to be scum-motivated than others?

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

in a sense, i would say that yes the majority of my reads on any given day 1 (this game included) are fake.

Honestly this is the best game ever, I could listen to steak describe Avant-Garde Mafia all week

Mr. Steak posted:

but anyway that's a complete tangent. if my hammer would have harmed anyone's ability to investigate me, i wouldnt have done it

I don't understand this claim pattern but ok

Like it's not like there were THAT many options for what the claim would be but you are theoretically revealing new information here

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Hal Insandenza posted:

is steak really the type of player who is going to think “I gotta do this to help the town!”

For the record I 100% buy that steak would do this to help town, I just don't necessarily think that the thing steak did helped town

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

just letting y'all know i FINALLY got my prescription for ahdh meds after 6 months without them. i shall do a reread with my new big brain in a couple hours.
(i feel loving fantastic rn)

Also, big congratulations! :toot:

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

think about it privately at-low. if i wanted the answer to be public i would have said it

You keep volunteering information unnecessarily! Are you just complaining that I'm reading your posts at this point?

(Also, do not fear: I have absolutely been thinking about it privately)

Regarding the oa/sng situation if it continues to be a big thing I wouldn't be strictly against flipping one or both of them and seeing where that goes but like for the most part I just don't care, I've been more interested in other options both days - that said, sng's case is an interesting development

sng's case thus far I kinda read as "as ammo for my case on oa, here is the entire scumteam" which is like, kinda backwards, but okay, big play, tell me more, tell me which of the names you named you think were genuinely scum intervening

It's a real real big accusation and I wanna hear more about it

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

(for the record, if I wasn't clear, I don't really intend to talk about any role guesses in public or anything at this time, I just think the circumstances of the claims are strange)

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Wow Hal I can't believe all masons look the same to you

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

i think it's pretty obvious to figure out. but concluding im town because of it, and then responding the way he did to dy, makes him town

What is this attitude? oa is town for thinking you're town based on your bullshit? Should I take this as an implicit threat that you plan to call people who think your bullshit is scummy scum?

##vote Mr. Steak

It's long past time I called this bluff.

As much as I have my own theories as to which role you're implying, which role you actually are, and what your plan is, none of that actually matters because your actual role is NAI and you could be pulling the same strategy as town.

But if you're town, why did you bait the roleblock?

If the roleblocker cares about Memories of Murder, hammering like that is going to make you target #1, because it assures scum can't hide behind a hammer: by blocking you, they guarantee (barring third hand shenanigans) that either a positive result is generated or that no kill will happen and massive suspicion is generated on you.

Now, they could also just go with their #1 scumread, but you hammered and made sure all the thread knew it was strategy-related. You handed that path to the roleblocker on a silver platter. What town motivation is there for this?

This is what I have been saying since that night where I've been saying that the WAY you're doing this is scummy. The concept of hammering as town, especially if (as you stated recently) it outright doesn't affect your investigability, makes a lot of sense

But you keep cycling between divulging information completely unnecessarily and champing down on discussion of it, you act weird and dance around and make sure everyone knows that you're performing a strategy

Why not just do the thing? Why act this way?

So, you know why I haven't voted steak yet today, even though I've been saying that the way steak is doing this is scummy?

It's because steak is the absolute worst scum option to vote for today

Steak has showed his entire hand, has a not insignificant chance of being a good town role waiting for the right moment to go off, and most crucially has already hammered

(Does this make me a hypocrite for going after dy? Not really I don't think, dy hasn't really expressed any of this and and instead preferred to go "too bad we're never going to get steak!" and is in fact STILL doing this what the gently caress????)

What all of this means is that steak is a low priority in terms of scumreads. Steak clearly plans on fully claiming anyway, likely when he uses his ability. We should see what happens when he uses the ability, and work from there. Until then, we can focus on bigger scumreads (eg for me: dy), we can focus on scumreads who will have more informative flips (eg for the oa crew: oa, for whom a scum flip would have huge implications for sng's case, which makes it extremely weird to me that sng has repeatedly ignored my requests for an expansion on the case: shouldn't he want to get out as much information as possible now in case he's NK'd after an oa scum flip? I guess the names are all there, but is it an actual accusation of them all? If it is, why is it being framed simply as ammo in the oa case instead of "if I'm right that oa is scum, then I found the scumteam"?), we can look into non-Solus D1 cases like I wanted to, I mean hell seeing all these grandi votes is very exciting from that perspective even if I am less excited to jump on than I was at start of day

And again, most crucially of all: steak is now hammer position. If we're going to vote literally any other scumread we can just let steak hammer and not worry about hammer bullshit for the next night and day. The three factors (hand is shown, ability use will be alignment indicative, availability to hammer) made me feel like there was no pressing need to vote steak when there was such a decent chance he'd be town using a cool move to help us.

But then steak extended further and explicitly linked thinking he is town based on his prancing about with being town.

What is this? Why is THAT a thing? It's trying to push a narrative where sussing steak is bad because people should get that steak is town from his play

As much as I've said to myself that town could do everything that steak is doing, I feel like it's absolutely ridiculous to do all this stuff, tell everyone to think about it alone and not discuss it, and then start basing townreads on who says it's town

Steak is stalling and trying to set up a scenario where he can be as scummy as he likes, but because he's a) clearly going somewhere with this and b) calling outside discussion of it bad, he's still going to have time to mess with town before he gets got

This vote is still suboptimal: we would have to find a new hammerer, we won't make progress on the whole oa diatribe, etc.

But despite your theory talk re: scum informational vs. early apparent scum, sometimes, even if you don't get the most information out of it, the right move is just to vote where you see scum

It may not be optimal, but it's what's in my heart! Now, take my suboptimal vote!

##vote M wait gently caress I already did this up top lol

Anyway, I leave you with this

Basically steak's entire deal here is that he's claiming a role that will let him help town while also hanging on to the hammerer position, yeah? And the partial claims and hatred of explicit guesses are very clearly signaling an intent to use that role at some point, yes?

Why would this steak so willingly make himself the objectively best roleblock target?

Sure, I can see at least one scenario where townsteak could do it and not screw up his own plan, in addition to the ones where scumsteak does it to gently caress up a town roleblocker

But calling people town for silently thinking, then calling this play town is maybe the biggest bullshit I have ever seen in this game of bullshit

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Somberbrero posted:

this vote spread is insane. no one is not voting, we have three candidates tied for first place at 3 votes.

loving hell I just checked the votes and we're here AGAIN but with a different configuration!

This game is awesome!

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

I know it's social so it doesn't count, but if this game were purely mechanical this is how you would know that it's balanced

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

dy. posted:

None.

There is no level of meta that will make me think he is not clearly scum. You guys are letting him hide behind this insane meta he's cultivated for himself.

For what it's worth, as far as I'm aware Steak's scum meta is actually getting caught D1, and I was even there for it in one of the games I played

So I'm pretty sure Steak never gets the kind of meta free pass you're worried about

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Where was all of this dy action back when I was voting dy for two days

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

it's not about scum knowing what im claiming. it's about plausible deniability. as long as im seen as someone who could be lunched during the day, im confident i wont get nightkilled.

Why would your roleclaim give you day immunity during a draft game

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Or, to put it another way: steak's still on the lunch menu if I have anything to say about it

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Grandicap posted:

Steak is very town. I have upgraded him from won't execute except in the face of a no execute to won't execute even in the face of a no execute.

This is absurdity. I don't even think that steak is memories of murder, but if steak is memories of murder I am confident that he is scum memories of murder

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Grandicap posted:

My call isn't based on which role he did or did not draft. It is based on his play.

I fundamentally disagree with you about steak's play

That said

STEAK

I will endeavour to stay online. If you are on someone who gets to -1, unvote, I'll swap, you hammer, sound good?

If it's someone who I absolutely wouldn't vote, I'll let you know before we get there

My preferred alternates are OA or SNG

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Steak has already hammered. Therefore, steak should hammer again. If steak is on someone already, steak cannot hammer.

I have no interest in hashing something like this out 5 min to deadline, so I am offering to voteswap with steak if steak is on a vote at -1 that I am willing to be a part of.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Sandwolf posted:

##vote Keane

Sandwolf arriving with the apple of loving eris

20 minutes.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Would vote grandi or Keane over dy today

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Grandicap posted:

I am here and explicitly not voting for keane or dy. This is a bad push.

I hate it too but you're the other option I have!

##vote keane

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

.random posted:

Requesting we move deadline 1-2 hours later next time if on a weekday

Requesting we pretend deadline is 1-2 hours earlier than it is next time regardless of when it is, so maybe push the actual one to 9

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

CCKeane posted:

Everybody have a nice day? I played the classic SNES game "Earthbound" all day.

Somberbrero posted:

why do i play this game

Well, I know that it looks kind of weird, but I think it's incredibly charming and has a really neat aesthetic! As far as its brand of jrpg goes, I think it's one of the best!

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

CCKeane posted:

It's my all time favorite.

I used to call Earthbound my number 1 as well! In many ways it still is, but in terms of talky, cutscene-heavy games (which Earthbound isn't, it's generally much smoother instead of "gameplay chunk, cutscene chunk") I have to mention Persona 5 Strikers. One of the best cutscene-driven storylines I've seen that tells an endearing story about the loss inherent in coping with trauma, and the worth of accepting that loss to move forward when you're ready. It's great!

Did you get anything you were hoping to get out of your rather sudden maneuver?

Sandwolf posted:

Hal and Keane are probably scum Hum

This?

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

well, more specifically misreading fry's post

Oh, THAT'S why I also thought that was hammer! I saw Fry go "-2" and did not have time to parse the rest of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

yeah im loving annoyed that i may have hosed us over if hal actually would have voted in time (guess we'll never know. tho i very much would have preferred hal to just hammer, it makes sense that he assumed i'd hammered and left. it just feels horrible that it's basically all my fault that we no-lunched after making a whole thing of going out of my way to help town. i feel like ive been proven wrong that i can be helpful to town

It was a big communication failure right at the end, I don't really think you're to blame

Like, the actual problem that needs to be solved is that someone had to somehow generate ~5-6 votes for a case within like an hour, so this happened and the one that almost won was sandwolf just showing up and silently voting Keane

Clearly nothing even resembling consensus had been reached and everyone spent our deadline time figuring out how much we'd be willing to concede

That stuff is gonna have to get figured out BEFORE deadline next day